To stroller or not to stroller?

MommyCMickey

Mouseketeer
3 of us (2 adults 1 child) Cruising in December on Wish, little one will be turning 3 (2 days after the cruise). Do you guys generally take a stroller for that age? Staying in a deluxe veranda so not sure of the space of the room. We rented a stroller for our park vacation following the cruise but not sure if we should have one for the cruise. Right now our little one does 1 nap a day (12p-1:30/2).

3 of us (2 adults 1 child) Cruising in December on Wish, little one will be turning 3 (2 days after the cruise). Do you guys generally take a stroller for that age? Staying in a deluxe veranda so not sure of the space of the room. We rented a stroller for our park vacation following the cruise but not sure if we should have one for the cruise. Right now our little one does 1 nap a day (12p-1:30/2).
Our last cruise with a stroller was when our little guy was 3yo, but it was in Alaska. The excursion days were long and he used it primarily for napping when we were off the ship. It was not used onboard. I think it would be more of an inconvenience on a Bahamas cruise, but every family is different.

I don't know how big your 3yo is so this may or may not work for you, but on our last cruise, we did take a stroller mostly for the airport, and literally never took it out on the cruise. Instead, I used a TushBaby for carrying my 2YO around the ship. I can't say how well it would work with a somewhat larger child but it worked great for us since it takes up so much less space wherever you go.

We also didn't do any excursions at all. If you were planning a long day out, then the stroller might be nice for the extra storage space if nothing else. The TushBaby can hold a diaper and small thing of wipes but a stroller could hold a lot more stuff if you were needing to take snacks etc.

Regarding naps, one thing that's great about cruise vs the parks is it's so much easier to go back to the room. We do stroller naps when we go to the parks but go back to the room for naps on the cruise, FWIW.

If you do bring one I suggested bringing one that you can easily fold and carry up or down the stairs. The lines for the elevator can get long so it’s nice to be able to fold it up and take the stairs.

We used ours for naptime at that age. When he was tired, he'd crawl into it and fall asleep. Or he'd fall asleep in the bus going to port and we could transfer him to the stroller.

At 3 we didn't use it as an alternative to walking, the ship isn't that big. It was great as a portable crib, though.

I don't know how big your 3yo is so this may or may not work for you, but on our last cruise, we did take a stroller mostly for the airport, and literally never took it out on the cruise. Instead, I used a TushBaby for carrying my 2YO around the ship. I can't say how well it would work with a somewhat larger child but it worked great for us since it takes up so much less space wherever you go.

We also didn't do any excursions at all. If you were planning a long day out, then the stroller might be nice for the extra storage space if nothing else. The TushBaby can hold a diaper and small thing of wipes but a stroller could hold a lot more stuff if you were needing to take snacks etc.

Regarding naps, one thing that's great about cruise vs the parks is it's so much easier to go back to the room. We do stroller naps when we go to the parks but go back to the room for naps on the cruise, FWIW.

Thank you, I’ve never seen that before so I’ll look into that.They’re pretty tall 37 inches. I’m sure we’ll be doing an excursion so I’ll probably bring a little one for those excursions

I’ve been having this same debate as I’m going with my newly turned 3 year old on my own in October. I’m leaning to not bringing it but my kid also hates the stroller and rarely is willing to ride in it. So for me, it just feels like more of a hassle but I’m still debating simply because of airport.

I do have a tushbaby and I’m not a huge fan of it but now that my kid is getting bigger, I have been using it more and more and it does make me able to carry her for long hours. I carried her for 3 hours straight the other day using it. In the pockets, I was able to put wipes, extra set of clothes, extra underwear, my wallet, and cell phone and still had space in pockets if i wanted to add more. I think the only thing it couldn’t carry that would be nice to carry is a drink. Also tush baby isn’t hands free cause you still hold the kid with one hand but it is easy to put the kid on the tushbaby and take them off on your own, so that part is nice.

I would absolutely bring a stroller for a 3 year old. It is better to have it as an option vs not having one at all

Maybe for excursions but I don't think that I would use one on the ship. My oldest was 4 when we took our first cruise and we did not use a stroller and she did great.

Our son is 2.5 and still loves riding around in the Bob stroller at Disney World. We are not bringing that on our cruise though as it's way too bulky and we will have a multitude of adults to carry him if necessary. We're bringing our small umbrella stroller just in case we want to use it in port.

Our son is 2.5 and still loves riding around in the Bob stroller at Disney World. We are not bringing that on our cruise though as it's way too bulky and we will have a multitude of adults to carry him if necessary. We're bringing our small umbrella stroller just in case we want to use it in port.
Awww that’s smart. We have one of the Disney umbrella strollers we bought at the park some time last year. I just need to find it

On the Wonder two weeks ago. We brought an umbrella stroller that easily folded up and slid under the bed. I used it when our grandson woke up early, I could take him for a walk around the ship and on the promenade (although that won't work on the Wish very well). He helped deliver Fish Extender gifts! I could keep my hands free or pick up a coffee (the stroller had a collapsible drink caddy attached to the handles). He went to French quarter and lounged while we had coffee.

I brought a stroller for our 2.25yo on our Alaskan cruise in May. He hates the stroller and almost never went in it. I wish I had thought to bring a carrier though. He was in a mom phase and wouldn't let anyone else carry his 30+lb self around except me... He nearly broke my back on the cruise. Never thought I'd do a little hike around a glacier carrying a toddler, but there I was!

We are planning to leave ours in the car, but he'll be almost 3 and sitting in the stroller is a mixed bag these days. He much prefers to just be carried so I may throw the Lillebaby in my bag just in case!

We are planning to leave ours in the car, but he'll be almost 3 and sitting in the stroller is a mixed bag these days. He much prefers to just be carried so I may throw the Lillebaby in my bag just in case!
DO IT! It didn't occur to me he'd want to be carried so much and my back was so sore from carrying him around in my arms! Not to mention it has caused the tendonitis in my wrist (from carrying him around as a baby) to flare up again so now I need physio again.

DO IT! It didn't occur to me he'd want to be carried so much and my back was so sore from carrying him around in my arms! Not to mention it has caused the tendonitis in my wrist (from carrying him around as a baby) to flare up again so now I need physio again.

Going to add it to my packing list! He KILLS us at the parks, always wanting to be carried (esp in lines). But it's so dang hot to wear him. It's a pick your poison scenario right now! In an air conditioned ship, it seems like a no brainer.

We bought our umbrella stroller used from a Kid to Kid store (where they buy and resell clothing, toys and equipment). A great investment for the cruise! Also add a collapsible drink carrier for the handles, so handy when getting beverages or holding tissues, phone, etc. And if you are flying, a gate check bag was nice, there are universal ones that fit most umbrella strollers.

we took an umbrella stroller when cruising with my son at that age. Needed it for the airport, some excursions, sometimes on the ship but it was small and light enough to not be in the way or carry when not needed.

I took an double umbrella stroller for my twins at age 3.5 on our RC cruise. Containment is vital with 3 yr old especially twins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter