• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Soar or not to Soar? That is the question...

zKatze

Earning My Ears
I know that no one can really answer this for me. I've keep reading about people's experiences on Soarin' and I'm still undecided...

My son has decided that he'd like to visit Epcot afterall. So now I'm looking at dropping our first Magic Kingdom day in favour of Epcot (which we had planned on skipping this time). He's not super adventurous...got queasy on a fast moving kiddie coaster this summer (he's 7), but has no problem with tea cups and the like. I, on the other hand, don't really do many rides...I hate feeling queasy and the headache that some rides give me.

In recent years I have survived Busch Gardens' Sand Serpent...I can do the log flume there as well. I also did the river raft ride at Islands of Adventure and was fine. I could not handle the Happy Potter ride there at all. Had to close my eyes through the whole thing, but the queasiness passed pretty quickly, so my whole day wasn't ruined. I don't get air sick, generally don't get seasick (was fine on a cruise last year with no mediciation), sometimes get car sick, but never while driving).

I know that I won't know for sure until I try...but I am the only adult on this trip. Is Soarin' worth the risk. I might be fine...but maybe not? Thoughts?

I think you will be good. It basically goes up and stays there. The movie takes up your whole view. I never hear or saw anyone scream or act like they were getting sick from it.

Hhhmmm...So, if I'm okay in an IMAX dome, this shouldn't be a whole lot different?

Hhhmmm...So, if I'm okay in an IMAX dome, this shouldn't be a whole lot different?

You'll be fine I think.

Soarin is very slow moving and you're basically just watching a screen with a bit of movement from the chairs.

I don't do well on teacups or simulators but love adventurous rides like Everest for context. I personally have never had trouble with Soarin' even though it's simulator like and would put it at the top of my list! For what it's worth, my kid who fears heights does well with it and my mom who doesn't do big rides loves it!

As long as IMAX movies don't bother you and you are not afraid of heights, you will be ok. I can't ride Soarin but then the movies all around Epcot make me a bit woozy.

I get violently sick on planes and boats but am completely fine on Soarin. Agree w/others you'll be fine

As long as IMAX movies don't bother you and you are not afraid of heights, you will be ok. I can't ride Soarin but then the movies all around Epcot make me a bit woozy.

That makes me sad, that you can't ride Soarin'. It's such a cool experience (and I can't wait to see the new one this summer on our next trip). Is it the motion, the height? I experience vertigo - but not from rides/attractions - and am glad there's a medication that works for me. Have you tried meds?

I am very prone to motion sickness, and wear sea bands whenever I visit parks. I can't stand Imax, Star Tours, etc., but Soaring is a non-issue for me. I would try it, knowing you can close your eyes if necessary. I was very nervous my first time, but have loved it! I think your boy will be fine, too, just prep him to know what to expect.

That makes me sad, that you can't ride Soarin'. It's such a cool experience (and I can't wait to see the new one this summer on our next trip). Is it the motion, the height? I experience vertigo - but not from rides/attractions - and am glad there's a medication that works for me. Have you tried meds?

I think it is the height mixed with the motion. I've been on the original a few times, and the last time on was with my eyes closed, clutching my dad who was seated next to me. The new version looks so cool, but I'm afraid I would have a panic attack if I tried it. I haven't tried meds, but maybe..

I get sick from a lot of rides but Soarin' didn't bother me at all. It's very smooth. And my 3yo is basically scared to go on every ride, and was freaking out in the queue, but once he got on the ride he loved it and now he is begging me to go on it again.

Soarin' has very little movement aside from moving you up into place in front of the screen. I was in the first row my latest trip and I felt a TINY bit sick. Before when I've been put in the third row I felt nothing. I'd ask to be put in the third row just to be safe.

I agree with everyone. I think you'll be fine. The sensation of height is the bigger issue, I've found. And, if that's a concern, ask the Cast Member if you can sit in one of the lowest rows. You are able to see the edge of the screen more, and you only fly "up" a few feet. It sort of ruins the illusion - but it really can help with height issues.

And, for what it's worth, I can do large coasters with multiple inversions, Mission:Space, most spinning rides, etc. with little to no issue. But, Harry Potter and Simpsons both got me at Universal. I had to sit out on a few rides after (NEVER done that). So, the experiences there vs. Soarin are quite different.

The only way you're going to know is to actually go ahead and do it.

I wouldn't call soarin a ride. If your ok on a swing it's about the same but the swing moves a whole lot more.

yes you should be fine

you sit in a chair put a set belt on ( like a lap belt on a middle set with out the shoulder part) the whole things goes up in the air first row is 45 feet second row 30 feet 3 row 15 feet ( or so I have heard) then you will slitty move with what is being shown on the screen so left right back and forward some ( not too much) there is a vent that will bowl air at you ( for smells) I was on it and a little boy was very scared ( he was more scared of hight then anything) I get bad for him but if you are OK with hight you will be fine ( I do not like hight and I am OK with this I just sit back and hold on and I am ok) I hope you enjoy the ride it is one of my favorites

Simulator rides are awful for me. When I was a child, nothing bothered me, but for some reason, age/pregnancies have caused motion sickness issues now that I'm in my 30s. I actually did feel mildly queasy on Soarin' the first time I rode it. I realize I'm an outlier, per the folks above, but I wanted to mention it just in case. It was NOTHING like Star Tours, which made me want to flee/vomit. I decided to try out the OTC motion sickness med meclizine on our last parks visit to see if that helped, rather than just continue to avoid rides, which sucks. And it did, very well in fact. I had zero issues on Soarin', and Star Tours was actually ok. FWIW - it's not the height, or the very mild motion on Soarin' - it's the visual effect, entirely. Meclizine is the perfect solution for me; non-drowsy, and I don't miss anything fun. For a quick fix, just look away from the screen or close your eyes to see if that helps - you'll miss the cool parts, but it's better than feeling sick.

I know that no one can really answer this for me. I've keep reading about people's experiences on Soarin' and I'm still undecided...

My son has decided that he'd like to visit Epcot afterall. So now I'm looking at dropping our first Magic Kingdom day in favour of Epcot (which we had planned on skipping this time). He's not super adventurous...got queasy on a fast moving kiddie coaster this summer (he's 7), but has no problem with tea cups and the like. I, on the other hand, don't really do many rides...I hate feeling queasy and the headache that some rides give me.

In recent years I have survived Busch Gardens' Sand Serpent...I can do the log flume there as well. I also did the river raft ride at Islands of Adventure and was fine. I could not handle the Happy Potter ride there at all. Had to close my eyes through the whole thing, but the queasiness passed pretty quickly, so my whole day wasn't ruined. I don't get air sick, generally don't get seasick (was fine on a cruise last year with no mediciation), sometimes get car sick, but never while driving).

I know that I won't know for sure until I try...but I am the only adult on this trip. Is Soarin' worth the risk. I might be fine...but maybe not? Thoughts?

I'm sure you will do fine, but if you have doubts, just shut your eyes on 'takeoff' until you reach 'altitude'!! Seriously, if I would have had issues, it would have been there. It is actually my favorite ride!!

I avoided Soarin' for years because I still get queasy on several rides even after taking Bonine for motion sickness. I'm also terrified of heights and get dizzy and panic just from being in tall buildings above 4th or 5th floor.

Last year I psyched myself up and rode Soarin' and wow it was such an amazing experience. First, I had no nausea at all (with the Bonine) and the sensation of flying was so intense and thrilling I literally cried on this ride. Happy excited tears in part from overcoming my fear and just doing it. Rode it two more times that day and it quickly became my favorite Disney ride.

I also rode it this week with the new version. I felt it was actually less intense than the old version but maybe I'm just remembering it differently. You mostly just gently glide while the screen moves slowly over the scenes. I'd give it a shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter