• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Scoot or Not to Scoot, How much to Scoot??

JoyFaithGrace

A spoonful of sugar helps me get better!
I am coming off a nearly 7 years of illness, one of those "invisible" ones, that is horrible but from the outside you look fine. Last year I used an ECV for our 1 day trip, and had wished I had it with me the next day at Disney Springs, as it took a lot out of me.

Fast forward a year, and Ive now lost even more weight (just crossed the 120 lb mark wootwoot), and so I am walking better, and look better, BUT I have lingering nerve damage in my feet, and though I can do a lot more in the regular world, walking Disney is not something I do everyday.

I am getting an ECV because I while I don't want to use it as much, the thought of not having it and needing it is anxiety inducing.

And finallly on to my question...

My thought was to use the scooter to the general area that I will be in - Park in front of Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and go visit the princesses and then Pooh, then hop on my scooter and off to the next area. Then in Epcot, park at the entrance of each county, explore as needed, return to scooter and move on.

I hate this because I don't *need* it all the time, but I do need it. Don't know when I will need it. And am "Pooh-Sized" so I hate to think that people will look at me and think that I'm just lazy (stupid invisible illnesses).

Do I just need to get out of my head, know my truth, and go with my plan -OR- use the scooter for everything even if I don't really need it?

o I just need to get out of my head, know my truth, and go with my plan
Exactly this. Drive it when you need to drive it. Park it when you feel up to walking. Repeat. This is what I do with my wheelchair. There's plenty of places designated for parking, and it won't be far away when you need it. But remember how long some of those lines can be. If the standby lines are long, consider riding your ecv through those lines (assuming it is accessible).

For me it is a little different. I get to the point after a day or two my feet hurt so bad I can hardly stand. I would like to be able to get a break but never used one. It seems from what I have seen it is such a hassle getting on and off the busses. How do you deal with that as a first timer.

as a first timer getting on and off buses, take your time. from what I have found taking my time is faster than trying to hurry and usually having to do it twice. if you need the scooter use it. the one piece of advice for unloading is make sure you are completely off the ramp before turning. that is where most run into trouble

For me it is a little different. I get to the point after a day or two my feet hurt so bad I can hardly stand. I would like to be able to get a break but never used one. It seems from what I have seen it is such a hassle getting on and off the busses. How do you deal with that as a first timer.

I used one for the first time with the buses last year, and it was nerve wracking! I was horrible at getting it on and off the bus but did my best and asked for help and apologized a lot!

I used an ECV for the first time Christmas season of 2015. I had difficulty using the buses at first. Hubby helped me parallel park on the bus. Even the Bus CM helped park and move it off the bus! Don't be scared or ashamed to ask for assistance!
I also found that practicing with grocery store or Walmart ECVs helped to prepare me to back up, turn, and quick stop. I'm now practicing parallel parking to the left (like on the Disney Buses) so I will be ready for the next trip.

I used an ECV for the first time Christmas season of 2015. I had difficulty using the buses at first. Hubby helped me parallel park on the bus. Even the Bus CM helped park and move it off the bus! Don't be scared or ashamed to ask for assistance!
I also found that practicing with grocery store or Walmart ECVs helped to prepare me to back up, turn, and quick stop. I'm now practicing parallel parking to the left (like on the Disney Buses) so I will be ready for the next trip.

Ha! I feel like I should go to Walmart at like 2am and have DH set up cones so I can practice parallel parking!

Although I'm in my early 50's, both of my knees are terrible with arthritis and need to be replaced. I get by fine around the house and shopping at home but being on the go all the time at Disney - well I needed the scooter. I rented one for the first time ever last summer and it was GREAT!! I did exactly what you said - used it on the long spaces in between lands and parked it and then drove it to the next spot (for the most part).

However once when I rode the Little Mermaid at the end of the day, I was in a good bit of pain and it was about to rain and the CM practically ordered me to go through the line on my scooter..hahaha! So I tried it and actually had NO problems at all keeping it in the que with me and it was much nicer sitting than standing in the que....even with my fast pass. I got VERY good at driving it and could keep up with que lines. So I do encourage you to take it with you into lines if you are in pain and want to sit. I DO like to walk and have a Fitbit and got at least 10k steps every day at WDW even with the scooter.

As for busses - the first time getting on the bus I had to re-park it but after that I got the hang of it. Yes - there's no way around feeling like you're holding everyone up and so on. Really though, you get the hang of it and I know before I was using a scooter I never really paid much attention to people using scooters. The bus drivers are really good at making it quick and easy and they will tell you exactly when to turn the wheel and so on. Just pick up your scooter before you're going to be getting on the bus and get used to driving it and backing up and turning (and doing this slowly) and you'll be fine on busses.

My wife has used a WC at WDW for the past six years. I always pushed her since she didn't want an ECV and I was fine with that. We went again this past December and because I had to push one of the grandchildren in a stroller, she had to get an ecv. It worked out fine. She had no problems and she did park it at times and walked around. An extra benefit to the ecv is it does protect you from being jostled by crowds. She always had me or the bus driver park the ecv - hint, putting it in neutral by pulling up on the knob near the back wheel makes it very easy to maneuver.

A scooter allows me to last longer in the parks and get my monies worth for park ticket prices. I'm similar to you and I could be off the scooter part of the time, but then I don't stay in the park as long. I've decided to stay on the scooter as much as possible. I don't get wiped out that way and my demeanor is better.

You have the option to be with the scooter more or less. I think I would try it both ways and see the difference. I find Epcot and Animal Kingdom to be the most tiring to walk.

Last year I had a scooter for larger pooh-sized folks but this year since I've crossed the 120 lb loss mark, I get to get a "not" so pooh sized scooter, so I am thinking that I should have a better time driving and parking it. So we will see. I am going to take it to Disney Springs our first day there for a 'practice' run.

Omg, I totally understand your concern! I, too, have an "invisible illness," which causes me to have dizzy spells quite a bit and my legs to give out under me. I'm terrified of renting an ECV, because of all the backlash I see on here sometimes...especially when I can usually get up to go to on a ride (with help).

Congratulations on your weight loss! That's incredible. i've lost 85 pounds in the past year so know how hard it is. i don't think anyone should let "what others think" be any part of the equation. Because, really, we can never know for sure what another person is thinking. You may think some guy is scowling at you because you're using a scooter, when he is really scowling because his wife just told him she spent $85 on a sweatshirt. :D

If you think you need a scooter then get it, and use it as little or as much as you need. It is a little tricky getting them on and off the busses at first. But i have always found the bus drivers to be super helpful. Some will even get it on and off the bus for you. And a scooter is very helpful to keep from getting jostled in the crowds. Have fun!

We are in a similar situation but my DH is wearing a boot- he tore a ligament and broke a bone in his left foot. The dr told him to wean himself off the boot for a few hours a day but not to push it when we go to Disney. He can walk in the boot but I think that if he doesn't use a scooter he might re-injure it. The questions we have are- if he uses it to get on rides, can the entire party go with him (there are 7 of us- 4 adults, 3 kids) or do we go through the stand by line. We hate to take advantage of him using the scooter when we have noticed in the past people who don't really need it using one. The buses will not be fun getting on and off but since we are staying at BWI we will only use the bus system for AK and Disney Springs. Also what is the best company to rent from?

The questions we have are- if he uses it to get on rides, can the entire party go with him (there are 7 of us- 4 adults, 3 kids) or do we go through the stand by line.

Sorry he's injured but sounds like he's healing. He can take a mobility device through the standby queue, unless you have FP+. There are very few attractions requiring an alternate entrance for mobility devices. I'm not sure when was your last visit to WDW, but rules changed a few years ago and generally speaking use of a mobility device does not qualify for the DAS program or FP entrance (without a scheduled FP).

Post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this forum lists both featured and non-featured vendors along with some feedback from DISers.

Enjoy your vacation!

Sorry he's injured but sounds like he's healing. He can take a mobility device through the standby queue, unless you have FP+. There are very few attractions requiring an alternate entrance for mobility devices. I'm not sure when was your last visit to WDW, but rules changed a few years ago and generally speaking use of a mobility device does not qualify for the DAS program or FP entrance (without a scheduled FP).

Post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this forum lists both featured and non-featured vendors along with some feedback from DISers.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for the information- we are AP holders and go 3-4 times/year but never paid any attention to the rules for scooters... Fortunately we haven't had to in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter