to rent a car or not?

xcell

Earning My Ears
we are staying at POP tis feb - i'd like to ask if you would rent a car or just use the WDW transport system. I am travelling with DW, DD2, DD5.

How long are the waits for WDW transports (buses mostly).

Or should I consider renting a car to get from one area to another...

We were there in October and we had rented a car because we were traveling to visit family after our trip. Once we got to the resort, the car didn't move. We only used Disney transportation. You may need to wait for a bus, but it is much easier IMO than trapsing to the parking lots, getting on and off trams and then packing everyone into the car to get out again.

We always rent a car. We hate waiting for the buses--especially at night when they are overloaded and everyone is tired and crabby! It's nice just to hop in your car and go.:)

We were there last June and didn't rent a car. It was our first trip so I don't have anyhting to compare it to. But we had no problems with the Disney buses. In fact, at the end of the day when we were so worn out and tired it was to just get on the bus and be driven back to the hotel. We never waited more than 15 min. either. My vote is no rental car. Enjoy your trip!! I am so jealous I can't wait to go back!!

We stayed at Pop Jan 08 without a rental car and didn't miss it at all. I had grocerys delivered by We Go Shop and the kids, 4, 7, 8, loved the buses. We never waited long for one even at the end of the day.

This is really a personal preference. You are going to get many people taking each side. I prefer to let some one else do the driving and pick me up at the front door rather than trying to find a place to park and then remembering which row of which lot I parked in and getting a tram to take me to it. Our car sat at the hotel the whole week. I'm on vacation and I'm not in a hurry. Save your money! Tell Mickey I said HI!

We always rent a car...but there are only 3 of us (2A + 1 5yo) so we can get away with a mid-size. Usually Alamo has some good rates/discounts/coupons - check over at mousesavers.
For us, I like being able to get to/from the airport myself - especially on the way home I just feel like DME makes you leave so early! On our last day we can check out, send our bags via the airline check-in at the resort, then head over to a park in the car and leave right from the park about 2 hours before our flight without having to go back to the resort. And we also make a grocery run when we first arrive for water/snacks and toiletries so we don't have to pack them or ship them. And if we have an early AM breakfast ADR, I don't have to stress about how we're going to get there. Then again, lots of people feel the rental cars are completely un-necessary and do fine without.
I'd say check the rates and see how much it will be...and keep checking and modify/cancel your car reservation as many times as you need to up until right before you leave to make sure you get the best price, then decide if it's worth it. In Dec '07 and May '08 our mid-size was just under $100 for the week. Oct '08 it was a little higher, but maybe like $120-ish.

We always rent a car...but there are only 3 of us (2A + 1 5yo) so we can get away with a mid-size. Usually Alamo has some good rates/discounts/coupons - check over at mousesavers.
For us, I like being able to get to/from the airport myself - especially on the way home I just feel like DME makes you leave so early! On our last day we can check out, send our bags via the airline check-in at the resort, then head over to a park in the car and leave right from the park about 2 hours before our flight without having to go back to the resort. And we also make a grocery run when we first arrive for water/snacks and toiletries so we don't have to pack them or ship them. And if we have an early AM breakfast ADR, I don't have to stress about how we're going to get there. Then again, lots of people feel the rental cars are completely un-necessary and do fine without.
I'd say check the rates and see how much it will be...and keep checking and modify/cancel your car reservation as many times as you need to up until right before you leave to make sure you get the best price, then decide if it's worth it. In Dec '07 and May '08 our mid-size was just under $100 for the week. Oct '08 it was a little higher, but maybe like $120-ish.

I think this is great advice, and typically what my dh does. We also find coupon codes for free upgrades, etc. Rent a smaller/cheaper car, then upgrade it. Also, you may decide to not rent a car but change your mind after you get there. If you do, there are Alamo & National rental agencies on Disney property you can take advantage of if you do change your mind. Of course, you're subject to their pricing at that time if you wait to find out. We stayed at All Stars one trip and sorely missed having a rental car (didn't rent one because it was a "budget" trip and we were trying to cut costs). We stayed late on several nights and the busses were over-crowded, and that resort is the furthest out from the parks. That trip was also during the free dining plan promo, so the value resorts were 'extra' full because of that, making the busses 'extra' crowded, probably.

We haven't rented a car in numerous trips.

Bus service can be hit or miss - and if you operate on tight schedules, do a lot of resort to resort travel, or want to do non-Disney things, you might benefit from a car. It also helps to know the Disney transportation system - i.e. there are resorts where a car is no big deal, and resorts where just getting the car out of the lot can be more hassle than taking the bus (at Wilderness Lodge most of the parking is so far away from the main resort that it just isn't convienent to have a car). If you are using the Disney transportation system, the bus that should arrive 20 minutes BEFORE the park opens will be a lot less crowded than the one arriving five minutes AFTER - and the buses leaving ten minutes before the park closes (or do your shopping - buses run an hour after the park closes and the shops stay open) are less crowded than buses leaving as the park closes. We've also been known to catch the "wrong" bus - for us, we often catch the bus to MGM or Epcot - then walk to the Boardwalk Villas (which is our home resort). This is less of an option at a Value resort.

We use cabs a few times each trip - especially for resort to resort travel. For instance, last trip we had dinner at the Wilderness Lodge while staying at the Boardwalk - we took cabs. We've also taken cabs to make tight timelines (we know we will be late for Fantasmic without a cab, or miss an ADR.....).

There are other places I'd rather spend rental car money than on a rental car.

If you are staying at Pop and are not going or are only planning to go someplace (like Sea world) for 1 day-I would say don't rent. We have never had issue with the busses at Pop-especially since they have their own line and don't share with other resorts. We never rent a car and do fine:) -actually I prefer to have someone else do the driving-lol.

We have always rented cars, but its really more of a personal preference. I took the car one day went shopping while DH and the kids took the bus back from AK to CBR. They made me promise not to ever leave them again and make them ride the bus!!!

I think they were being a bit dramatic, but I have never left them again!

we are staying at POP tis feb - i'd like to ask if you would rent a car or just use the WDW transport system. I am travelling with DW, DD2, DD5.

How long are the waits for WDW transports (buses mostly).

Or should I consider renting a car to get from one area to another...

Personal preferance. When I'm on vacation driving is the last thing I want to do. We don't rent a car at Disney as there really is no need when they have a great bus system. If you prefer the convenience of having your own car though and have the bucks to spend, do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter