To rent a car or not ro rent, this is my question

Mike77

Earning My Ears
To all,

We have an upcoming 5 day WDW stay at the WL. We are a family of 4 me,wife and 2 kids 3 & 5.

Right now we are signed up for the ME. But rates are really favorable to rent a car. I like the car option because of having the flexability to not to rely on the buses or boats.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your input.

First, I would say that with only a 5 day visit renting a car most likely would be a waste of money. Second, if you plan to spend a lot of your time at MK then WDW transport is the best option to get there.

The first time DH & I went to Disney, we rented a car and stayed off property. We used the car to get to and from the airport only. The second time we went with DS and stayed on property. Again the car sat in the parking lot the whole time. Our last two visits have been without a car and we never wanted for one. In fact we had early morning reservations at MK last time and thought we might take a cab. We ended up taking the bus and it worked out great. Unless you have some really special needs, Disney transportation works great.

Also, if you take your car to the parks, you have to schlep through the parking lot to get to your car. With the buses, you walk to the front of the park, find your bus and then are deposited at your resort.

Nah, it would probably take the same amount of time if not more when you count in getting to your car, parking, walking to the park, etc. Plus the price of gas, too.

I've always stayed at WL and the buses (and boat to MK)
are no problem and come pretty frequently.
A rental car would be a waste of money.

We (family of 5) would never, ever NOT rent a car. If you go for rope drop you will be at front of the parking lots. If you make qualifying purchase through AAA you get a Diamond parking pass so you are at front of lot no matter when you go. Our friends rented a car, but did not have room for everyone in their party. Car riders beat bus riders every time (sometimes by more than 20 mins). Now, I'm not sure about MK because you do get dropped off at gate, but we don't want to deal with crowds on buses and waiting. Also, trips between resorts and back and forth to DD are a breeze. Worth every penny to us.

Are you doing anything off the property? Going to see some other attraction or doing a dinner show or going to shop off property? If you were going to do that I could see having a car. If not than it might be a toss up.

I vote for renting a car. Its just our preference. On our last trip dh and the kids went back to the resort and I met up with a friend for emh. Its the one time I took the bus and wont do it again. The line was crazy long so I had to wait for 3 buses before I was able to get on. I know I shouldnt base my opinion on one bad experience but being able to jump in my car and go after a long, hot day in the park works best for me.

I like to rent a car, I do like to go to the outlets and a grocery store, plus the parking is free so coming and going to the parks as I please is a plus

If you have small children and strollers I strongly recommend that you rent a car.

Using Disney busses with strollers is just not fun.

I would say it depends what your dining/evening plans are. Disney transport is by far the quickest to the MK, but aside from that driving is faster to all the other parks. We almost always rent a card not because of theme park transport, but because we eat at restaurants in other hotels and disney transport from hotel to hotel stinks. It can take 60-90 minutes to get from Beach Club to AKL, for examlple, when it is only a 10 minute drive. This is where the value of the rental car is for us. It also allows a grocery stop and the opportunity to grab a cheaper meal offsite if desired.

In addition, I hate waiting for ME. I want to get my vacation started ASAP. My all time record is walking into the front gate at Epcot 50 minutes after the plane arrived at the gate (Emerald Aisle membership is great!)

DH prefers to rent a car. We usually do to keep the peace :)
I can say being at the WL was the one place I would forgoe the car if you were trying to save money. If money's not the issue I would opt for a car.

It really comes down to personal preference. We prefer to not rent a car and find that we don't need it. Not having to drive is one thing we love about Disney.

We prefer to rent a car. When DS is 'done' and we need to get out of the parks, waiting for a bus is not our idea of fun. Heck, we run out of patience sometimes just waiting for the trams to the parking lots, but that's us. DS can also put on some spectacular meltdowns if he's over-tired, and I'd rather deal with those in the privacy or a car, rather than on the public (Disney) transportation.

Also, we don't pack toiletries so we make a stop on the way to the resort, at either Walmart or Target, to grab those, water, and snacks. The rental car allows us lots of flexibility in when we make those stops, and for second trips if needed.

I vote no car. Yes, it's a little extra time using the bus system but don't forget you will have to pay parking, which is another expense. I would save the $$ and use it at the parks.

Strollers and buses not a big deal either. One person take the kids one person take the strollers. When you are waiting for the bus fold them up then NOT when you see the bus coming.

I vote no car. Yes, it's a little extra time using the bus system but don't forget you will have to pay parking, which is another expense. I would save the $$ and use it at the parks.

Strollers and buses not a big deal either. One person take the kids one person take the strollers. When you are waiting for the bus fold them up then NOT when you see the bus coming.

You don't have to pay for parking if you are staying at an onsite hotel or have an AP.

From the WL to the MK it will be a boat ride. Strollers are pretty easy on the boat. If you drive, you'll have to park, go through the TTC and catch the boat or monorail. You may end up not taking your car to the MK even if you have one.

The other parks it might be worthwhile to have a car. We never do as we don't like to drive - we've never dealt with strollers on a bus either though. It comes down to personal preference and budget.

We've had some lengthy waits at MCO getting our car when we have rented. But some people have had lengthy waits with ME too. I'd bake a little more time into arrival day for picking up the car. Also, I always forget that by the time I'm done, the car is always more expensive than the billed price - even when I don't take their insurance and pass on the gas, by the time I add taxes, et.al. I'm always spending more than I thought.

I've both rented a car and not rented a car and while I like having a car to drive to DTD at night, I would much rather save the money on a car and take the bus. I DO NOT take the car to the parks however when I've had one. I just remember as a teenager it taking an hour or longer just waiting for first the monorail to the TTC and then waiting on a tram to take us to our car and then needing to find our car in that area of the lot where they all tend to look the same. When you are tired and exhausted and have tired and exhausted/cranky kids, that is the last thing I want to do. I find it sooo much easier to go to the bus stops which are located right outside the park gates and hop in the correct line and wait 10-15mins (if that) for a bus to my resort which then drops us pretty much at the front door. In my opinion a much easier option and cheaper than renting a car!

We have done both the Disney transportation & renting a car. Renting the car wins out for us. If you are going during the summer, kids can get very "cranky" waiting in the heat for busses. We are used to driving around Disney, but it can be quite challenging if not used to it. If renting, definitely sign up for one of the "express" memberships from the car rentals ... never waited more than 10 minutes for a rental that way.

There are advantages both ways. It's just a matter of personal preference. Good luck whichever way you choose!

We are also renting a car when we go at the end of may. We werent going to, but decided to for a few reasons.

1. we have very young kids. The thought of strollers and all our junk we will bring into the park onto the bus does not sound appealing.

2. We are staying at a value resort with not a lot of room. This way we can unload and put the suitcases in the trunk to save on room.

3. Being able to just come and go as we please and not have to wait for transportation. I have heard great things about disney transportation, but just having a car makes me feel better and the rates are CHEAP!

4. we plan to take one day to do a day trip to the beach. it just makes sense for us to have one for the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter