To refrigerate, or not to refrigerate?

GeoDad

Earning My Ears
So in all the planning and buzz about our first family trip to WDW (We are booked now!!! Very excited) my lovely wife, is that a DW?, and I are having the great refrigerator debate. Do we rent one for 5 nights or not? I have read about Garden Grocer and they seem like an excellent option for fresh fruit, cheese, bottled water, etc. But we could also just bring granola bars, twizzlers, etc. Or just buy one of those styrofoam coolers and keep reicing?Those who have rented let me know if this is worth it for ASMo. Second, what is WDWs take on bringing food in the park?

We drove, so we had a medium size cooler with us. We put a gallon of milk (for cereal in the AM), cheese sticks, gogurts, and would put water bottles in every evening. We would ice up in the AM and it was good for the entire day in the room. We used the $70 bucks we saved on renting a refrigerator toward our circus tickets! Good luck.

Oops!!! Forgot to reply about bring food into the park. We took Goldfish, small packs of skittles, bottled water and just about anything else we wanted in our backpack. They search your backpack at the entrance to each park and no one ever said a word to us. Hope this helps.:rolleyes1

We drove, so we had a medium size cooler with us. We put a gallon of milk (for cereal in the AM), cheese sticks, gogurts, and would put water bottles in every evening. We would ice up in the AM and it was good for the entire day in the room. We used the $70 bucks we saved on renting a refrigerator toward our circus tickets! Good luck.

Great idea!!

The fridges rented at the resort are tiny...you will barely fit anything in there! Get in on a fridge swap or bring a medium/large collapsible cooler or get a styrofoam one and save the $$. It is worth it to order from gg for the convenience, especially if your kids drink juice boxes. I think it is a pain to get these in the park (you have to wait in CS lines, instead of juice being available from the drink carts). We always bring in a cooler bag w/our own juice boxes and snacks. Never have a prob w/ security and they sure come in handy in lines/shows. Have a great trip!

What are your dates?

The following DIS'ers are running free or very low cost fridge swaps:

Kath1210
VanessasMom
Lam712
Jennipooh
neesy228

I would see if they have room in one of the swaps. It is VERY nice having fridge in your room. Our little fridge has the freezer compartment (Disney fridges do NOT) so we freeze water bottles and wet wash clothes to use in the parks.

What are your dates?

The following DIS'ers are running free or very low cost fridge swaps:

Kath1210
VanessasMom
Lam712
Jennipooh
neesy228

I would see if they have room in one of the swaps. It is VERY nice having fridge in your room. Our little fridge has the freezer compartment (Disney fridges do NOT) so we freeze water bottles and wet wash clothes to use in the parks.

In May2004 we stayed at the POP and rented a fridge that did have a small freezer section. I remember because we froze our water bottles and they kept our sandwiches, cheese sticks ,and capri sun packs cold!

we stayed at the POP and rented a fridge that did have a small freezer section.

So maybe some do and some don't or it's changed in 4 years or it varies by resort?

We stayed at the Movies in August 2007 and the Disney fridge did not have a freezer.

It was very dissapointing because I was supposed to use my own fridge swap but they lost my fridge during my week to use it so they provided me one of their's at no charge but not having a freezer really sucked as I was really looking forward to freezing some water bottles each night.

So maybe some do and some don't or it's changed in 4 years or it varies by resort?

We stayed at the Movies in August 2007 and the Disney fridge did not have a freezer.

It was very disappointing because I was supposed to use my own fridge swap but they lost my fridge during my week to use it so they provided me one of their's at no charge but not having a freezer really sucked as I was really looking forward to freezing some water bottles each night.

Oh that really s**ks! Yes maybe the fridges vary. Now that I think about it the fridge we had at the contemporary did not have a freezer. Hmmmm.....

You are allowed to bring food into the parks. Once in line for Dumbo a mom in front of me had fluffer Nutter sandwiches for all her kids cut into the shape of mickey heads that they ate while they waited.

We don't bring sandwiches, but we do bring juice boxes, snacks, fruitsnacks, etc.

As for the fridge, we are in a swap praying it doesn't get lost before our turn!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter