To put names on FE or not?

gr8vthsfam

Mouseketeer
Do you put your family names on the FE's? First names of adults, children? Just wondering. I feel cautious putting it out there... any safety considerations? Am I being too cautious and should I just go for it? What have others done. Thanks!
Cruise is getting closer and I am getting more and more detailed!

Do you mean the actual FE? We do have our names on ours, and on magnets on our doors.

I've perused threads where the debate is whether to put names on your door (and your FE). One side is what your concern may be, putting your family's names out there, to strangers... the other, an FE with no names is target for fast fingers. Personally, I don't put it out there. Some people may not have to be this careful, though, it depends on your life, your public persona, and the privacy you want for your family. This also means my FE is "disposable"... if someone wants it that bad, they are welcome to it! It's replacement will be a garbage bag!

Our FE has our first names on it. It has a cash value of nearly nothing, but some level of sentimental value.....

I personally don't plan on putting my last name on my magnets or FE, but am thinking of putting first name initials on. I'm really particular about this issue though, for no good reason. (-: I say do whatever you're comfy with. For me, that means at most first name but more than likely just first initial

Now I am probably one of the most cautious people out there when it comes to giving out personal information. But I guess I am not seeing the harm in putting first names on a FE. What are the fears about doing this? I definitely agree about leaving last names off. A number of times I didn't have my room key handy to pay for a drink and as long as my name and stateroom number matched up they didn't have a problem. So I don't think I would advertise my last name associated with my stateroom. But I am trying to see what issues there might be with having first names on a FE. Just wondering.

These are not issues I have personally, but could see the concern:
First names of teens who are allowed to enter/exit room alone would be people calling them by name, acting like they know them, family or the like to try to "lure them" somehow into their room, etc. I think so long as the teens are equipped socially to know- if YOU don't know people, DO NOT GO IN THEIR ROOM EVEN IF THEY KnOW THE POPE!
Last names-for reasons already stated above. First and last name AND room number COULD potentially spell trouble, but the KTTW card would need to be involved somehow as well I'd think.
I honestly hadn't given thought to the last name and may request that nothing with our last name be put on our door. First names-I figure servers, others in the dining room, others checking in kids in the clubs, etc would hear first names anyway.

I debated it for awhile and decided not to put our names on the actual FE. I just didn't want that hanging outside our door for everyone to see.

When I distributed our FE gifts, it was helpful to see some sort of label on the pockets so that the gift for a little girl went in her pocket, the gift for an adult in theirs. It could be a first name, or another symbol,like a minnie on a girl's pocket, two characters on a couple's pocket, etc. That gets the info out without names. Personally, we did first names on our FE. Our names are all over the boards anyway:rolleyes1. Each family will have it's own considerations as to how public to be with names, of course.

These are not issues I have personally, but could see the concern:
First names of teens who are allowed to enter/exit room alone would be people calling them by name, acting like they know them, family or the like to try to "lure them" somehow into their room, etc. I think so long as the teens are equipped socially to know- if YOU don't know people, DO NOT GO IN THEIR ROOM EVEN IF THEY KnOW THE POPE!
Last names-for reasons already stated above. First and last name AND room number COULD potentially spell trouble, but the KTTW card would need to be involved somehow as well I'd think.
I honestly hadn't given thought to the last name and may request that nothing with our last name be put on our door. First names-I figure servers, others in the dining room, others checking in kids in the clubs, etc would hear first names anyway.

That's a really good point about teens I think!

I think first names are fine, but won't be using last names on anything - shame we really even have to think about things like this :eek:

I put our last name on our FE.... I dont want it walking off, and I have it hanging up at home.. we use it all the time.

As for names.... spend 5 minutes at the pool or wherever..and you will be able to know half the kids names by the parents calling them etc.

Magic3forme said:
I put our last name on our FE.... I dont want it walking off, and I have it hanging up at home.. we use it all the time.

As for names.... spend 5 minutes at the pool or wherever..and you will be able to know half the kids names by the parents calling them etc.

Us too. Chris! Come here!

When I distributed our FE gifts, it was helpful to see some sort of label on the pockets so that the gift for a little girl went in her pocket, the gift for an adult in theirs. It could be a first name, or another symbol,like a minnie on a girl's pocket, two characters on a couple's pocket, etc. That gets the info out without names. Personally, we did first names on our FE. Our names are all over the boards anyway:rolleyes1. Each family will have it's own considerations as to how public to be with names, of course.

I agree with this. I put our first names on our FE and for the person delivering the FE gifts - it just helped me confirm that I was delivering the correct gifts to the correct cabins.

Linda

We don't put our names on ours (just a personal preference), and because it's a non-personalized one that might grow legs and walk away...we zip-tie it to the fish on the wall. Have never had an FE stolen, but have had magnets stolen off of the door...

I will not be putting our names on our FEs.

Who wants a stranger walking up to their toddler saying "Hi _______, your mommy needs you and asked me to come and get you for her..."

Not me. Nope. No names.

we do our Room Numbers incase anyone forgets to print out the FE list and room numbers :P we did that the first time around and had to find someone to give us the list :confused3

I will not be putting our names on our FEs.

Who wants a stranger walking up to their toddler saying "Hi _______, your mommy needs you and asked me to come and get you for her..."

Not me. Nope. No names.

Not to minimize your concerns, but I am having a tough time seeing this happen on a cruise ship. For one thing, when would a toddler or young child not be attended to? The other thing, where would a perpetrator go? The ship is only so big and there are people everywhere. I would think if a child was missing a massive manhunt would commence pretty quickly. Anyone know of anything like this happening on a cruise ship? I think I would be more worried about teens and young adults making poor decisions about entering someone's cabin. But even that is pretty risky. You can't lie about who you are to get on the ship. So if someone did such an unthinkable thing, I believe it wouldn't take much to find him.

That being said, I don't see any problem with not putting names on an FE.

I agree with ^^^...it would be pretty hard to do anything or get away with things like this on a ship. I don't see the difference in putting names on your FE or calling your child in a hallway, at the pool or where ever by their name- everyone around you hears their name and knows who that child is.?.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter