To Potty Train or Not...That is the question

Pamb

Pamacula
Okay all you mom's out there who have taken toddlers to DL, here is the problem:

1) I HATE (not a strong enough word) public bathrooms. I will use them when I must but if possible will avoid them. :scared:

2) I have a son pirate: that will be almost 3 when we take our DL trip.(2 months away) He is showing an interest in using the potty and we are working with him a little to get use to the toilet. He has two older sisters and tries to do everything they do and they think it is cute that he wants to be a "big boy" so they are encouraging him a lot. :cheer2: :cheer2:

Question: How clean are the DL bathrooms really? :confused: If we push the potty training and use only disposable pull-ups are there bathrooms close enough to avoid too many accidents? Are they clean enough for a toddler just learning to use? Or would you recommend just waiting until after our trip to potty train and avoiding the toddler potty emergencies? :scared1:

I'm watching this thread too! My 2.5 year old seems about ready to embark fulltime on using the potty--but I keep thinking that Disneyland would be a LOT easier if he still was in diapers!!

Disney bathrooms are much cleaner than most public bathrooms. Some are a little better than others because they are not used much. Yesterday I started a thread about the bathroom signs at DL and some posted a link to a guide to potties there. :) You might want to check that out. They rate the bathrooms!

I didn't take my boys to DL until they were older but I wouldn't hold him back if he wants to use the potty. Just let him take the lead. There are going to be times when he is in line and won't be getting to a potty any time soon anyway so it may not always be a choice.

I just scrapbooked my DD's first trip to WDW. She was 2 months shy of age 3 and she was clearly in pull ups. I honestly don't remember any problems in taking her to the bathrooms. And I don't remember any accidents. Since she was still learning, she was eager to use the potty.

So, I'd recommend the pull ups. I would not try to do underwear only. The last thing you want to deal with is an accident. The Disney bathrooms are okay. Just grin and bear it. I also carry hand sanitizer and even though we'd wash our hands good, I'd sometimes do that after we got out the bathroom door as well.

Do you watch 20/20 or Dateline? Every year the run a story on how clean bathrooms are compared to other things people touch in public. The bathrooms are usually always cleaner than the hand rails, restaurant chairs, etc. that you're touching. You're more likely to get a germ from the peter pan lap bar than the toilet. :)

Do you watch 20/20 or Dateline? Every year the run a story on how clean bathrooms are compared to other things people touch in public. The bathrooms are usually always cleaner than the hand rails, restaurant chairs, etc. that you're touching. You're more likely to get a germ from the peter pan lap bar than the toilet. :)

:rotfl2: I can see me now...I will be the crazy lady with Lysol spraying everything before my family touches it! :lmao: Maybe I will buy stock in a company that makes hand sanitizer because their stock will be going up! ;)

our son was just potty trained before a WDW trip and we just made sure he went when we took potty breaks (we made a big deal..."OH everyone has to go potty")and before we were going to get in a long. we had no accidents:cool1:

as far as cleanliness goes..they are pretty clean. if you are worried about the germs like we are...we just brought germ-x with us. you can also bring those clorox wipes for the toilet seat :thumbsup2

My teen boys do not go ANYWHERE without hand sanitizer! When I taught them to wash hands after going to the bathroom and before eating, they really took that seriously! :)

my concern would be the waiting. If the crowds are big and he waits till the last minute to tell you he has to go then that could be a nightmare.

I'd give the pull-ups a try

If he's ready, train him. Disney will sort itself out. :) The bathrooms are quite clean- I believe the standard is that they are supposed to be checked by maintenance every 45 minutes.

We had no problems with my dd. We used the baby center small potties almost exclusively. They clean them after each child I think. My girls love those little potties and wanted to know if they could have one like them at home! It was easy to just create a little schedule and we just stopped in to have her sit on the potty to check before we went on rides with long lines. It really worked out fine.

If you delay "training him" it might make things worse in the long run. Put him in pull-ups while you are there if you are really concerned. Regulary visit the potties (they are just about everywhere) and I am sure you will be fine.

My DD was just over 3 when we went for the first time. She has been using the potty for about 6 months and was still having occasional accidents. When we went she refused to wear pull ups because she was a big girl. I swear she could hold it longer than any of us. It was on this trip that she magically became night trained. She never needed a single pull-up from the day we got home. Probably while there too but I was too busy to pay attention.

my concern would be the waiting. If the crowds are big and he waits till the last minute to tell you he has to go then that could be a nightmare.

I usually go during busy periods and almost NEVER have to wait. Disneyland bathrooms are plentiful! Know where they are ahead of time and you shouldn't have too much time finding an empty stall close by. The only exception might be when a big show (like Aladdin or Fantasmic) ends.

Still pull-ups are probably a good idea. And of course, that last minute "gotta go now" is usually at the most inconvenient time.

;) great thread and i'm relieved to find others as concerned as I!

I also have an almost 3yo, and it almost seems that our plans revolve around pottying, for now! so, i also found these wonderful toilet seat covers at BabiesRUs that do not slip off the toilet and are great in case they run out of toilet seat covers! they are sesame street, or dora and have stickies on it, but it is also made of material that doesn't slip. these are good to have handy, although i have never had a problem running out of seat covers at DL, and the bathrooms are generally clean. i often see workers throughout the day keepin up.

i agree, the main challenge are the lines! i am amazed that some people have seen my 4 yo doing the peepee dance and still didn't offer us to go ahead!? yes, definitely do pull-ups! what you could do is just avoid having him be in a wet pull-up as much as possible so he doesn't fall in to getting used to being wet, if that's your fear. that way, they get used to the idea of dry bottoms only!

i'd like to get some tips here from others!

If they are sensative to the automatic toilet flushing bring post its notes or something. My dd at 7 still covers the sensors with one. It was at DL that she developed this fear when one flushed while she was on it and sprayed her back side!

I would say just do it when hes ready.... if thats now get him to do it and just take more breaks when there.... either b4 or after a ride make sure you go. Pull ups are great cause you they are close to big boy pants but do protect in case of an accident. Its kinda surprising how many adults wont let a little child infront of them. Aslong i wasn't wait with my toddler who had to go i would let them go in front if you could see they were in dire need!! But i guess thats just a mommy thing cause we know what its like!!! But i wouldn't put it off just cause he might reses back into not wanting to do it! Just make sure everyone is supportive of him if he does have an accident, and tell him its not his fault, that even sometimes big people have accidents and its all a part of learning!!

I would say to put him in pullups while you are there, and encourage him to use the potty when he want's to use it. My younger son was about 2 1/2 when he expressed interest, but didn't really get serious about it for another 6 to 9 months. At 4 years he is now 90% potty trained, and only uses a pullup diaper at night. So long as you continue the potty training while you are there, that's the main thing, as if you stop the potty training for the trip, he might take a while after the trip to get interested in it again. And if he has an accident don't make a big deal out of it, as most kids have the occasional accident when potty training. Have a greyt time on your trip!

If they are sensative to the automatic toilet flushing bring post its notes or something. My dd at 7 still covers the sensors with one. It was at DL that she developed this fear when one flushed while she was on it and sprayed her back side!

ohh yahhh! that's a great reminder about the automatic flushing thing! i had to improvise using the stickers from princess fantasy faire crowns and toilet paper! i get startled myself from them autoflushing things, since they just go off while i'm still setting it up for my toddlers! they really get scared. but post its should do the trick!:thumbsup2

My dd was almost 3 on our first trip to San Diego (before I discovered the joys of DL). She was fully potty trained at home except at night where she wore pull ups. For our trip she wore a pull up on the airplane and for the days we were going places, ie zoo sea world, she didn't mind and although we took potty breaks, she was covered if there was an accident.
So potty train away and take pull ups.

So DD has been diaper free (except at night) for about 3 weeks now. She loves her underwear! I'm not sure if I should have her wear pull ups at Disneyland when we go in 2 weeks, she is really good at going potty when I tell her to (she never tells me when she needs to pee, but tells me when she needs to poop) I don't want her to regress while we are there but I don't want accidents either...should I make her wear pull-ups during the day?

I would use the facilities at the child care center. I would also take time during the day and make random stops at the child care center to have child try to use. One thing for sure I would take big boy Pull-ups. My dughter used those while training. At a certain point she then put him in regular underware. (there are some pull-ups that are actually for training---when the child goes potty the child will know. With the other pull ups the wetness is not as noticable by the child.

I have found the rest rooms to be very clean. There are a few that are older and some that are updated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter