To 'Ohana or not to 'Ohana... thoughts on Kona Sushi Bar?

AquaDame

DCL
Don't get me wrong, I love the theme and the food is OK too. My husband has not been there before, but I remember the skewers being very dry both times I have and peeling the shrimp was annoying enough that I didn't eat very many of them (and I love shrimp). I'm wondering if we might have a better time just going to the bar and having a drink or two, and then getting sushi next door at the Kona Sushi Bar. We both love sushi, and then we would also be able to eat when we want, not have to pay a flat fee, and not have to wait until our 8pm ADR. We could go watch the fireworks on the beach instead (they pipe in music there too right)? Thoughts? :confused3

Couldn't get an 'Ohana ressie for our trip earlier this month. Went to Kona Cafe for dinner instead and the sushi bar menu is available in the restaurant. DS liked the sashimi even better than Cali Grille's!

HTH

We love the sushi at the Poly Sushi Bar. Sometimes it is hard to get a seat there though. You could always book a reservation at Kona for the Sushi.

We just discovered last month they sell prepackaged Sushi downstairs at Captain Cooks that is also pretty good and fresh.

The sushi is very good. If you get there when it opens (5pm?) you should be able to snag 2 seats (there is also a counter next to the actual "bar"), but it does fill up quickly.

I really liked the sushi there. You can order from the sushi menu at Kona Cafe, if you want to book a ressie incase you're scared you won't get a seat at the bar. When I went, I got there really early so not sure whether the bar fills up fast later on.

We really like Kona and have been there various times over various trips. DH and my isiter really enjoy the sushi appetizer for 2 (I am not much ao a sushi fan) and the entrees are wonderful. I really think Kona gets over looked because of the 'Ohana hype. Don't get me wrong, 'Ohana is great (we've been there as well), but so is Kona and it's my easier to get ressies there.

we have been to both restaurants and enjoyed both however I have recently felt the Ohana experience to be rushed. We went last year I got the impression they wanted us out for a quick turnaround. we are.going to Kona this year.

Thank you for all the responses! It sounds like we should make it over here even if we do keep 'Ohana - maybe for a snack another day? Kona is a definite must for breakfast - I love their macadamia pancakes (although half of one would be PLENTY!) I'm not worried enough about getting a seat to book a reservation I might not keep if we can sit at the bar - can you order to go and take it to the beach or benches or is that frowned upon?

You can definitely order the sushi to go. Josh from Easywdw reported on that sometime last week :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter