to nap or not to nap

mirrordude

Earning My Ears
We are taking our 3 and 5 year olds for their first Disney trip--either mid Nov. or first week in Dec.. I have read in guidebooks that it is a good idea to go back to the hotel for a nap/swim break mid-day. Here is my question...at this time of the year with the parks closing earlier (6pm or 7pm for MK), are naps still a good idea, or will we not get to see enough? we don't have many days there so park hoppers may not be an option. What do you all think?

Also, have one day left on park hoppers from 1985. Would they still be accepted?

Thanks everyone!

Pam:D

We took our 3 and 5 year olds last year and found the naps to be very helpful (for both the kids and adults!!) Yes, MK does close early, but Epcot and MGM are open later. There were a couple days that we pushed it and didn't do the naps and then wished we had. I really enjoy the parks in the evening when the lights are on, so I didn't mind heading back during the heat of the day for a quick nap. The kids were perfect the whole trip (including the days they didn't nap, just really tired by the end of the day).

It depends how long you are there for and your kids. We were there for 9 days, so the days we knew we could take it easier the next day, if needed.

Our 5 year old DD really enjoyed the characters and autographs and our 3 year old DS had mixed reactions - sometimes he wanted to get an autograph and other times he didn't - we just let him decide and didn't push him.

You will have a great time!!

As far as the kids go, Its been years since I had some that young. :) The tickets are good forever so you shouldnt have any trouble with them.

I think naps are a must for kids that age. It will keep them refreshed and alert. Not to mention the naps will be great for you too. I wouldn't worry about the parks closing too early. You still can enjoy Downtown Disney, Epcot and the Boardwalk at night. You can also take the evenings to enjoy your resort or even visit other resorts. You obviously know your kids the best but with mine, naps worked great and really made for a more relaxing (and enjoyable) vacation.

Try to arrange your schedule to fit the naps in. Just know, with children that little, you will have to "play it by ear." Pushing too hard makes for cranky kids AND adults.

On our first family trip with children 8 and 10, I knew that very first day, we would not enjoy everything I had hoped we would. We took a break every afternoon after an early lunch. Returning to the parks at 4, everyone was ready to go again.

Try not to cram too much in. I found the earlier park closings in November, a blessing. It helped us keep more regular bedtimes.

Enjoy!

--penny

I was at WDW recently with three adults & a six year old. Our first ful lday together we were up early enough to be at the Magic Kingdom for early opening. The Studios were open until 10 p.m. that same day with a second Fantasmic starting at 10:30 p.m. The six year old made a list of MK attractions that were "a must" for her. We did several attraction at the MK on her list before lunch at Cosmic Ray's. At lunch all four of us decided we were tired & would go back to the resort. We all "had" to take a nap before we could go to the pool :). We all needed that nap! After dinner we went to the Studios & were able to stay until late because we all had our afternoon nap. My recommendation - take that afternoon break!

naps ..naps...naps....we always do them....you might think that it cuts down the day but we dont....if you go early take a break at your hotel ...then go back out...works like a charm

We take naps even on adult only trips. I love early entry because we accomplish so much by getting the head start. Because of that head start a nap really doesn't hurt our schedule. We do park hop with the late parks; so, we get our monies worth with tickets.

If we go without a nap we usually end up sleeping in the next morning later; so, we lose more time that way.

If your little ones will sleep in strollers you may be able to make it without breaks but I don't recommend it. If you go without a nap make sure you work in breaks with park lunches, etc.

Our kids were always able to sleep anywhere, so their stollers worked fine. I always liked to take that time doing some shopping (which was impossible when they were awake) or we'd just relax and people watch. I am just not a napping type person. If your children would be unable to sleep in their strollers, then of course I would would take them back to the room. Just keep it fun for all:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

We were there last week and after seeing and hearing so many small children (and some not so small!) having major meltdowns mid-afternoon, I have to say, "Do the naps!"

have seen TO MANY meltdowns..remember that your on vacation and that no matter how much you spent or spend on this one that at wdw it is best if you take some breaks away from the parks..if you have small kids dont do commando stlye..enjoy the resort you paid for....take some down time...have a few cold ones...it is easy to get into the park hopper thing.....just relax and enjoy it like anyother vacation....do it and you wull be fine

Well, I'm going to go against the flow here a little.:D Due to school schedules this past year, DD5 and DS3 have adjusted to going without afternoon naps. When we vacation at WDW, there's some days they want to nap and some days they are so excited, I'd have a meltdown trying to get them to leave the park to get back to the resort in order to nap! However, keep in mind we have APs and mix up our touring style.

This past trip, we also went without our own stroller. For short trips into MK, MGM and AK (~4 hours), the kids would walk. For days when we knew we would be racking on a lot of park hours, or staying late for a parade, we rented a double stroller. For Epcot, due to the expanse of that park, we rented a stroller. The strollers helped them not get so physically tired from walking around the park. And if they were tired and wanted to nod off, they could.

You know your own kids best. Just be flexible and pay attention to the cues they give you, and you should be fine.

;)

If you go to Fantasyland around 8:00 at night, you can definitely tell which kids had naps and which ones did not. The parents with the well-rested kids had a much easier time than those with the tired kids. I don't know how many times I wanted to walk up to a parent and tell them to take their child back to get some sleep. For everyone's enjoyment, please listen to your kids and if they are tired, please let them nap. If they are hungry, feed them. This is just my .02 from an observer.

It TOTALLY depends on your kids. The park hours are short (except EPCOT I guess) that time of year. We tended not to get up early and go to the parks later. My son did fine napping in the stoller sometimes in the afternoon. Other times we went back to the hotel. Because the weather can be so much cooler I don't think it drains you quite like the hot weather can. If you hit early entry mornings (which means you get up early!) then going back for a nap might be a good idea. If you mosey into the park around lunchtime or after (my kids are late sleepers) then returning for a nap may not be needed. Just go by how your kids are! Makes it hard to plan PS lunches however! Make your PS if you want them, for breakfasts or dinners.

Good luck!

I'd vote for the naps. Especially if you are staying on site and can easily get to the resort from the parks. I've been in November and it is great. Not very crowded (don't know about Thanksgiving though), but the hours are reduced. Epcot until 9 each day. Animal Kingdom until 5 each day. MK and MGM hours vary--could be anything from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. It depends on whether evening entertainment is scheduled (FITS, Spectro, Fantasmic).

Try to get the park schedule and plan around these events to extend your time in the parks. Also, if on-site, consider early entry. But please consider the naps. Disney is the happiest place in the World! It is heart-breaking to see little ones crying and screaming because they are just too tired. Remember, Disney is a very stimulating place and it is easy to get overloaded.

And if you need downtime at the parks there is a great place at MK. On Main Street (Exposition Hall I think) there is a back room area where Mickey cartoons are shown. It is never crowded, quiet and comfortable. I've seen parents in there holding sleeping children. Gives everyone a break. Also, sometimes characters are in the area and there aren't big crowds. Imagine your children having Snow White to themselves!

Enjoy your trip!

We took our niece and nephew to WDW in November 2001. They were 6 and 8 at the time, and a rest break did them a world of good. We didn't take a nap everyday. Sometimes it was lunch at the resort and a dip in the pool. The one day we didn't take a break we really noticed a difference in attitude. Take a break from the parks even if you don't nap, everyone will enjoy the day much more.

It probably depends on what your kids do at home. If they nap well at home maybe they will do that for you at WDW. When my younger DD was just 3. I tried to get her to key down and take a nap. By the time she finally crashed she was really crashed and then I was ready for her to get up so we could go again. That day I think we would have done better if we just took a break instead of my deciding she really had to nap. So I would just be aware of when they start to get grumpy and make sure they are hydrated and fed and take a break either in the parks or in your room.

Just a note: On that same night that I made sure my daughter had a nap we went to Fantasmic. She was having a crying fit coming out of Fantasmic and a couple of people looked at her and said poor thing she is so tired. She was not tired, she was crying because she wanted to push the stroller in that big crowd of people and I wouldn't let her. You know your own kids best.

I guess I have to be the dissenter on this one because I think you need to just play it by ear and see how your kids do once you get there. We just got back from taking our 3 DDs (11, 5, and 2) and only left the parks when it was time to go back to the resort to freshen up for dinner. The 2-year-old napped in her stroller and my 5 year had as much (or more) stamina than anyone - and that's WITHOUT a stroller (we brought one along but never even took it to the parks!). I honestly don't know how she did it because she got up early most mornings (around 7) and we usually didn't get back until 10 or so at night. The kids were never cranky or tired...I guess the excitement gave them the stamina to go, go, go.

Of course, you'll need to judge for yourself and if your kids start to peter out, then by all means, head back for a rest; but it's by no means a necessity for all kids. It just seems that when we're in the parks the time just FLIES by and before we know it, it's time for dinner; I don't know how we'd do it if we had to fit in naps!

Kim

The time of year you are planning to attend will have short park hours. I would personally start the day planning to be there until the end. If you do leave to take a nap, you will lose at least 2 hours with the transportation and napping time. You may find with the lower attendance that you've had a chance to see everything you want and will be ready to leave an hour or so before closing anyway (as long as you are there at opening).

You will want to gage how the kids are doing and maybe plan for one of the attractions that allow a little "time-out" (example: at Magic Kingdom, the Hall of Presidents - at Epcot, the American Adventure) - if the kids are tired they will take a short nap during these attractions. People have mentioned the baby center as a place to just get away for a short nap for the kids.

During your park visit, try to intersperse some high intensity attractions with low intensity attractions so that you don't burn out the kids (and yourselves) ... try to watch the diet (not too many sweets) and have a discussion/agreement with the kids about souviners BEFORE you go on your trip (so they aren't whining about I want this and I want that).

If a major melt-down is emminent, by all means be flexible and take the kids for naps.

If it were me going at that time of year with little ones, I would just try to take a mini-break without leaving the park. Pace yourself.

We followed that advice on our first two WDW trips and we were sure glad we did. Our kids were much more pleasant and energetic throughout the trip. Skipping the nap in the interest of more Disney time is likely to backfire on you, especially if your kids are accustomed to naps.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter