• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To many people live behind the lens today

No one has said anything like that on this thread. We've all just made observations about what other people should or should not do, just like you did.

no one has said anything like what? All I did was make a joking example of how I would gripe :confused3 in response to planogirl. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

"You can just look at photos/videos on the web." That would require someone to take the actual photos or videos.

You don't want to take photos on vacation? Fantastic!
You do want to take photos on vacation? Awesome!

... I don't really care what you do. It's your vacation and you get to live it how you like. :thumbsup2 However, it shouldn't interfere with everyone else's experience. That being said, stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, and enjoy yourself at the happiest place on earth.

Personally, I love to take photos at Disney. I like to get different/creative angles of things. For me, it opens my mind to a different side of Disney. It's amazing all the little details they put into things, that most people past by running from ride to ride. Stopping to take a photo, is like stopping to smell the roses, for me. And I completely understand, not everyone is like that.

Here's my photo of people taking pics. I take comfort in knowing that everyone in this photo won't have a decent shot. I took this photo with an ultra wide angle lens at 16mm. Most cellphones are about (equivalent) 30mm.

no one has said anything like what? All I did was make a joking example of how I would gripe :confused3 in response to planogirl. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
Now someone is griping about what you said in answer to my comment about you griping about griping. See how that happens? :scratchin

I do agree that people sometimes get overly upset about little things. I don't like a flash going off in my face every few seconds but I let the rest slide. Usually. :)

Now someone is griping about what you said in answer to my comment about you griping about griping. See how that happens? :scratchin

I do agree that people sometimes get overly upset about little things. I don't like a flash going off in my face every few seconds but I let the rest slide. Usually. :)

careful! someone may take that as a gripe!:rotfl2:

That's really all I was trying to say. I'm not looking down on anyone. I want people to be happy and not sweat the small stuff. Personally I don't even notice the lcd's or what have you, I'm too busy enjoying watching my family enjoying themselves.

Haha, I agree with you. People need to quit stressing about things they have no control over and just enjoy the process and enjoy the moment.

As for photos, if capturing MEMORIES is living behind the lens, I'm glad I live there!! Sure, a giant iPad is annoying if it is blocking my view, but instead of letting it ruin my day, I will just move. ;) Pick your battles!!

Holy cow if those aren't the golden words I live by. Or try to at least. I used to let every little thing bother me. I used to be so stressed out about everything.

Now, I see stuff that to me is dumb or stupid or that I don't understand, and I'm like oh well... whatevs. LOL I move on.

My DH, still has to learn this little tidbit of life. He gets stressed about all kinds of stuff.

"You can just look at photos/videos on the web." That would require someone to take the actual photos or videos.

You don't want to take photos on vacation? Fantastic!
You do want to take photos on vacation? Awesome!

... I don't really care what you do. It's your vacation and you get to live it how you like. :thumbsup2 However, it shouldn't interfere with everyone else's experience. That being said, stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, and enjoy yourself at the happiest place on earth.

Personally, I love to take photos at Disney. I like to get different/creative angles of things. For me, it opens my mind to a different side of Disney. It's amazing all the little details they put into things, that most people past by running from ride to ride. Stopping to take a photo, is like stopping to smell the roses, for me. And I completely understand, not everyone is like that.

Here's my photo of people taking pics. I take comfort in knowing that everyone in this photo won't have a decent shot. I took this photo with an ultra wide angle lens at 16mm. Most cellphones are about (equivalent) 30mm.

I love that pic!!! How did you get that? What kind of exposure did you use? How long was the shutter open?

Actually he's just looking at things from his own narrow frame of reference. People have different ways of "taking in the moment." I love photography and trying to capture the unique aspects of the places we visit is how I choose to enjoy them. I look at things differently when I'm thinking about taking photos, and that's particularly true at WDW because it's a place so many have photographed and which I've visited so many times. Seeing it through a lens actually keeps it fresh for me. That's how I "take in the moment."

And how do you know those people without cameras are really "taking in the moment" in the way you think they should? They might be thinking about work or a book they're reading or whether to make a dash for the bus stop as soon as the fireworks are over. Is that "taking in the moment"? I feel more "present" and my mind is less likely to wander when there's a camera in front of my face. YMMV.

As I mentioned above, I think this is really nitpicking and 'trying' to take something as wrong as possible. I don't see where the OP is attacking anyone for taking photographs or video. I see him suggesting that people take their noses out of their phone and enjoy the moment other than worrying about recording it. I don't see him demonizing photography, or even videoing. It reads to me as more of a 'consider it'...which is completely an acceptable thing to suggest, seeing as a majority of this generation is more obsessed with posting the moment to facebook than living it themselves...where as better videos of the exact moment are already all over the internet. It's a completely acceptable point to make.

Of course there are photographers/ people that enjoy photography that are taking pictures. But are you suggesting that the entire crowd holding cell phones in the air are photographers? I find this argument is no differently than saying 'Don't text people at the dinner table, enjoy the moment with your family...and someone making the argument "What if it's an important text". Yes, it could be, and in certain situations and to certain people, it's perfectly acceptable, it just seems to me to be someone going out of their way to make an argument rather than just trying to take in the opinion, and consider it or let it go.

On our upcoming trip, it is a once in a lifetime thing. It is also 'once in a lifetime' that my parents, my family & my sister's family will all be together for a full week. I am the photographer in our family. When I will be snapping pics, it will be to preserve our memories of a trip as a family. My parents are aging and not in great health, and I want to capture as many shots of them with their grandkids as I can, so 15-20 years from now when they are either suffering from alzheimers or gone, my girls will see the love on their faces. I have very few pics of my grandparents, and even fewer of them with me. My favorite ones of my maternal Grandma are taken at WDW, and the joy is evident on all of our faces. So, while I want to soak in the moments while they are happening, I am also determined to preserve the moments for my kids & my parents.

I will put the camera away for stretches so I can be fully present. I certainly am not going to be recording video of fireworks, but I may bust it out to capture the wonder on my 18month old niece's face during wishes (sans flash).

People have reasoning for what they are doing. Who are we to judge? Live and let live. :hippie:

My wife is a photographer as well, and I completely understand and agree with what you're saying. I just don't see how it's relevant to the conversation.

The OP isn't saying photographers should stop taking pictures. He's clearly talking about the 10,000 cell phone videos that aren't going to be viewed again after they're taken. It would be rather silly to suggest photographers shouldn't take pictures of such a sight. I'm a libertarian, I know all about live and let live, and I don't see where anyone is suggesting photography or cell phone videos should be banned. He's offering a suggestion to consider, and it seems a lot of people are taking something personal that doesn't read that way.

Oh, I understood the point, but I do not necessarily agree.

I think that the OP has a POV, and that it is valid for him. I also think that those if us who do feel that it is no one's business how others choose to enjoy their moment also have a point. The OP used his moment to take a picture of others who he deemed were not "in the moment". He spent his moment judging others who were not mirroring his idea of how to be in the moment. So my question is What exactly was the moment? Was it watching a show? Was it watching others watch a show? Was it taking photos of the show? or Was it taking pics of others taking pics? because clearly the OP was not directing all of his attention to the show.

Once again, I don't see why my post was even quoted in this, as it doesn't seem very relevant to what I said. I said he has a point, take it in and let it go, as a point...not a law. Other believe otherwise, and I specifically said they have a point as well. He took a picture to make a point, and also as I said...the last portion of your post is trolling him for making a point.

Some people just get enjoyment out of taking pictures of everything. If it doesn't bother them to see things through the screen, why should it bother anyone else? I guess that's the part of this whole thing I just don't get. Unless of course, it involves flash photography on a dark ride or the like. That's just rude.

Luckily, I get the best of both worlds. My DH loves photographing everything, so while I get to live in the moment and not have my nose in a screen, I also get the photos to remember everything by from DH. He does not mind seeing shows through a screen, because he's always striving to get a better shot than before or trying out new techniques, etc. On our anniversary trip to DL, he photographed an entire viewing of World of Color even though we had just been there a few months prior and he had taken photos then. He gets enjoyment from that. We saw it again the next night and I had to convince him to keep the camera away and just watch the show. He still enjoyed it, but I know he was just itching to whip his camera out! :lmao:

Some people just get enjoyment out of taking pictures of everything. If it doesn't bother them to see things through the screen, why should it bother anyone else? I guess that's the part of this whole thing I just don't get. Unless of course, it involves flash photography on a dark ride or the like. That's just rude.

Luckily, I get the best of both worlds. My DH loves photographing everything, so while I get to live in the moment and not have my nose in a screen, I also get the photos to remember everything by from DH. He does not mind seeing shows through a screen, because he's always striving to get a better shot than before or trying out new techniques, etc. On our anniversary trip to DL, he photographed an entire viewing of World of Color even though we had just been there a few months prior and he had taken photos then. He gets enjoyment from that. We saw it again the next night and I had to convince him to keep the camera away and just watch the show. He still enjoyed it, but I know he was just itching to whip his camera out! :lmao:

I really got nothing to say about this... I just wanted to say SPROOOOOOLES!!

As I mentioned above, I think this is really nitpicking and 'trying' to take something as wrong as possible. I don't see where the OP is attacking anyone for taking photographs or video. I see him suggesting that people take their noses out of their phone and enjoy the moment other than worrying about recording it. I don't see him demonizing photography, or even videoing. It reads to me as more of a 'consider it'...which is completely an acceptable thing to suggest, seeing as a majority of this generation is more obsessed with posting the moment to facebook than living it themselves...where as better videos of the exact moment are already all over the internet. It's a completely acceptable point to make.

You're missing the point. I never suggested the op was "attacking" or "demonizing" anyone. But there is another perspective that you and the rest of the "missing the moment" advocates here don't seem to see. Some people don't need to "take their noses out of their phone [to] enjoy the moment" and they're not "worrying about recording it." They ARE enjoying the moment and they're not missing anything. That's why I explained how photography helps me to see things differently and notice details that I otherwise wouldn't. I'm more focused (pardon the pun) on what's going on around me because I'm looking for something to photograph.

Of course there are photographers/ people that enjoy photography that are taking pictures. But are you suggesting that the entire crowd holding cell phones in the air are photographers? I find this argument is no differently than saying 'Don't text people at the dinner table, enjoy the moment with your family...and someone making the argument "What if it's an important text". Yes, it could be, and in certain situations and to certain people, it's perfectly acceptable, it just seems to me to be someone going out of their way to make an argument rather than just trying to take in the opinion, and consider it or let it go.

Well since they're holding cameras, I guess technically they're photographers. And I have no idea, nor do I really care, whether they're making the most of the moment or not. I was merely trying to point out that you and the op are painting with too broad a brush when you "suggest[] that people take their noses out of their phone and enjoy the moment."

I don't mind if people want to take photos or record things as long as they're following the rules. I won't be doing it but as long as it doesn't interfere, it's cool. :goodvibes:

Oh, I understood the point, but I do not necessarily agree. As I said before, it is not possible to ever know what others do before and after those snapshot moments that others use to validate their own POV. I never really took pictures and have found out that my kids wished we did have those moments "on paper". I wish I had spent more time getting some of those cherished moments, much the same way that my DD has done. Her scrapbooks that she has created are stunning, and she takes them out for all of us to enjoy.

I think that the OP has a POV, and that it is valid for him. I also think that those if us who do feel that it is no one's business how others choose to enjoy their moment also have a point. The OP used his moment to take a picture of others who he deemed were not "in the moment". He spent his moment judging others who were not mirroring his idea of how to be in the moment. So my question is What exactly was the moment? Was it watching a show? Was it watching others watch a show? Was it taking photos of the show? or Was it taking pics of others taking pics? because clearly the OP was not directing all of his attention to the show.

Well said.

There's a rule about no flash photography on dark rides but nothing about the screens on the cameras. Even worse is people holding up tablets to take pictures.

Surely you mean tablets....because if people were holding up tables there would be a full-on riot. :rotfl2:

Here is my example, I am 4 11. Yes tiny, I was at a show and this person beside me decided to take pictures. Ok fine by me. Till his elbow and the side of my face met. And he did say sorry followed by I wasn't paying attention. No how could you have been. You closed off your perferaill vision by keeping a camera to your face for almost 20 min. A picture hear and there fine. But remember there are other people trying to have a "once in a lifetime experience" too.

I think I understand the point of the OP. The first vacation I took with a digital camera I took so many pictures. Close to a thousand. But I forgot to enjoy my trip at the same time. I should have put my camera down some and enjoyed more. I did learn the lesson. I buy Photopass and take a small camera for candid shots. This way I have the best of both worlds.

You're missing the point. I never suggested the op was "attacking" or "demonizing" anyone. But there is another perspective that you and the rest of the "missing the moment" advocates here don't seem to see. Some people don't need to "take their noses out of their phone [to] enjoy the moment" and they're not "worrying about recording it." They ARE enjoying the moment and they're not missing anything. That's why I explained how photography helps me to see things differently and notice details that I otherwise wouldn't. I'm more focused (pardon the pun) on what's going on around me because I'm looking for something to photograph.

Well since they're holding cameras, I guess technically they're photographers. And I have no idea, nor do I really care, whether they're making the most of the moment or not. I was merely trying to point out that you and the op are painting with too broad a brush when you "suggest[] that people take their noses out of their phone and enjoy the moment."

Obviously, you're missing the point, because they only thing thing I have been pushing is that the OP has a point, a perspective, an opinion. It's not a fact, no one here has said it's a fact, and no one has said its the blanket, 100% always recurring truth. It's a suggestion. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't. I can see where he's coming from, but at the same time, my wife is a photographer, so I see that side too. However, I don't think he's referring to a photographer, and I don't think any reasonable person would think he is. 'Painting with too broad of a brush' is exactly what is being done by those speaking against the OP right now. I'm not on a side.

Other believe otherwise, and I specifically said they have a point as well.

Sorry, but this comment seems to contradict your earlier post.

That is the point of the OP...that people aren't taking in the full moment anymore, but worrying about trying to put the moment "on paper" to remember later rather than living it. Anyone who can't understand that is trying to troll or be difficult.

It's the bolded part that I believe led to people quoting and disagreeing with your post.
I have a camera in front of me a lot and yet I still feel 100% enriched and empowered by all of my travels. Am I 'living in the moment'? - yes. Am I trying to be difficult or a troll by saying this? - No.

Of course the OP is allowed to present his/her opinion. But because 'opinion' is the operative word here, people are allowed to disagree without being given offensive labels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter