To let my son ride...or not!? Help!

Should we let him ride Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest, neither or both?

• Yes, let him ride both

• No, he's just too young for either.

• Only let him ride Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, not EE.

• Only let him ride Expedition Everest, not RnRC.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rachandgarry

DIS Veteran
Hi there,

(small print - I know this is our responsibility and decision, of course, I'm just trying to get some more extensive opinions before we make the choice)

Our little one loves Disneyland Paris and adores the 'fast train' (Big Thunder Mountain) - the faster the better for him. He's not afraid of anything it seems. He also loves the Troublesome Trucks mini-coaster and the slightly bigger Ben 10 ride both at Drayton Manor here in the UK. He has Autism and Sensory Integration Disorder which in his case makes him under-sensitive to things, so to even register a thrill things have to be stronger, harder, higher, faster etc.

We're going to WDW for the first time in March and he will be 6 1/2. He's tall for his age, and very strong (although quite skinny). He is SO going to want to go on Rock 'n' Rollercoaster and Expedition Everest but I am scared to take him on them. His father and I both love these rides, and I *think* he would - but what if the upside down bits in RnRC scare him, or the general height on Everest scares him....

So, generally, do you think 6 1/2 is an ok age to go on these two rides or is it a bit too young?

Thanks for any opinions, all received with gratitude...
Rachel x

Our rule is if you meet the safety height requirements and you WANT to ride the ride, you are allowed. If you like it it's on the yes list. If you don't, then it goes on the not for now, but maybe try again later list.

The only way that you will really know is to let him try.

My daughter was 5 the first time she road EE. She liked the thrill but not the Yeti. So her solution (came up with on her own) on our next trip was to wear a glow bracelet for a little light so the would not be scared by the Yeti. Worked for her and she loves the ride now.

She still hasn't wanted to try RNR but I imagine on our next trip she will. She loved Space Mountain and Big Thunder so guessing it is a matter or time before she WANTS to do RNR.

While we are in line for a thrill ride, I remind her once she is on, I can't stop the ride and that if she gets scared to close her eyes and hold on tight and it will be over soon. I have told her this since she was very little and it seems to help. On the rides where she feels the need to close her eyes, she usually ends up opening up and enjoying.

Agree.....he must be tall enough and he should want to ride on his own (no pressure from family) to get on the thrill rides. If he's tall enough and wants to give it a try, go for it! If he's not tall enough and/or he doesn't want to ride, save it for another trip.

DD7 has been on those rides ever since she was 5 and could meet the ride height. She loves both rides and we do them religiously every time we're there. I say go for it. Since he meets the height requirement for the ride and each of those rides are not very rough, it's definitely a Must Do for him.

EE is my DD favorite ride. She was 6 the 1st time she rode it. Definitely don't miss it! Have a fun trip!!

Let him ride. I doubt the upside-down bits will be a problem. They are so quick, you barely notice you have gone upside down. Will he be able to handle the dark of EE? If so---let him go!

The only reason I put to not ride e rockn roller coaster is because I dont know how highly functioning he is. I dont think the upside down parts will hurt him but if he doesnt follow instructions and put his head against the head rest for the launch he could get really hurt

I'd let him ride both, so long as darkness isn't a known problem for him, since RnRC is totally dark and a good portion of EE is too.

I saw plenty of young kids on both of those coasters and they enjoyed them. A 5 year old girl I met in line for RnRC talked me into going on Tower of Terror afterwards!

Let him ride! My youngest is a bit of a daredevil, also 6 1/2. He rode Everest for the first time just before his 5th birthday (also rode Space Mtn on the same trip - same height requirement). The first thing he said was, "I gotta do that again!" We rode Everest 3 times in a row!

He is right at 48" and hopefully will be able to ride Rock-N-Roller Coaster the next time we go. All summer he kept asking me to measure him to see if he was 48" yet so he can ride. If we get there and he hits the mark, he's riding!

The rule at our house is as soon as they are tall enough, we want them to try it. If they hate it, they don't have to ride it again.

If he's tall enough and wants to ride then let him. My daughter is tall too and did BTMR at 3, Tower at 4, EE at 5 and RnR at 6. She loved them all and it was always her decision to ride or not. Go for it.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We let our kids ride anything they're tall enough for. In fact, we encourage it (but not force it). You don't know what you like until you've tried it.

My oldest has Asperger's autism and doesn't really care for the fastest stuff, but we do encourage him to try once the rides we really think he'll like. So far, he's ended up liking them all and wanting to ride them again. When he gets a little nervous in line before he rides them the first time, I remind him that the ride is very short (I think RnR is under a minute!), so if he does get scared, it will be over before he knows it, and then he never has to ride it again.

My 6 year old loves EE but isn't tall enough for RnRC. I'd let your son try EE first. If he loves that, then RnRC will be fine. The upside down part is barely noticeable as someone mentioned. And EE is partly in the dark so if he can handle that then he is good.

All kids are different. I'd just let him decide when you are there.

The only reason I put to not ride e rockn roller coaster is because I dont know how highly functioning he is. I dont think the upside down parts will hurt him but if he doesnt follow instructions and put his head against the head rest for the launch he could get really hurt

No he couldn't!!! He is not going to get really hurt! What nonsense.

First you aren't going to get really hurt on any Disney ride or it wouldn't be in existence.

If he wants to ride and is tall enough, let him ride anything he wants to. IF anything scares him, then he learns what he likes and doesn't like and doesn't do it again. Disney doesn't have any extreme rides.

Also being skinny doesn't matter!

i am going with my 7yo niece in october and she has always wanted to do the big coasters - she is 48" now and will have no restrictions at WDW on her first trip. but when reality set in that she could ride them, she said she didnt want to.

a couple of weeks ago i had a talk with her, i assured her that she didnt have to go on anything she didn't want to, but i believe that she would enjoy the coasters. i sat her down and let her watch videos of the rides and now she is excited to go on everything. that being said, i will start her out on the small ones and work her way up. i know from experience that if you put a kid on a large coaster and they hate it, they will most likely be hesitant about every ride in the park. you may want to take the small to large coaster route as well.

Voted yes to both!

We just got back last week and my youngest (turned 6 in June, just 48") LOVED RnR & EE ~ not to mention BTMRR & Space Mountain! He just did his first looping coaster earlier this summer at Busch Gardens Williamsburg ~ Loch Ness Monster and also loved the new coaster, Verbolten.

I would think that since your son already likes other coasters, he'll probably like the ones at WDW, too!

Hello from the parent of another sensory seeking ASD child!!

I am faced with the same decision right now. Because DS7's verbal skills are pretty delayed, there is not really a way to communicate what will happen to him on the ride. However, I know my child pretty well and I really think that he will enjoy both rides- like yours, he loved BTMRR, and anything else that went fast! My only concern for my ds is the sound on RNR- he is sensory defensive to sound, but sensory seeking otherwise. I'm going to try to get him to wear earplugs- he has ear muffs he loves, but can't wear those on rides.

Trust your instincts and if you think he'll enjoy them, give it a shot! When we went last time, DS was tall enough for ToT but we didn't think he was ready for that yet. This time, he is and I know he's going to love it! He loves to be startled- if we hide around a corner and jump out at him, he will scream and then giggle hysterically and try to get us to do it again. Short bursts of high volume sensory input make him happy.

Good luck in your decision, I am sure you will have a great trip!

If he wants to do it, I would let him! The only thing I thought about that could bother his sensory issues would be the lighting on the RnRC. If you think he'll be fine with that, I'd say no problem!

My now 8 year old is a roller coaster fanatic. He was thrilled when he was finally old enough to ride RRC and EE. He rode both at age 6 and did single rider at age 7 so that he could go multiple times. Last year he was 7 and did EE 17 times during our trip and RRC 11 times. He would have done more but we told him he was out of time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter