• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Laptop or Not to Laptop...

PHamrick

Mouseketeer
We are going ton a 7 day Fantasy cruise in August. We are doing a day at Universal Studios and a day at Kennedy Space Center before hand. I'm trying to decide if I want to bring my laptop. I've got a macbook and macbook air (my work computer). I will NOT be accessing the internet on the ship. I would bring the laptop to allow the kids to watch movies on the flight down and/or transportation between Orlando and PC (which they may or may not do--they aren't hardcore movie kids). I would also use the laptop to download the roughly 8 million pictures we plan on taking. And probably for checking the Shutters CD we will pre-purchase. What do you think? Worth it or not?

THANKS!

The Airs are quite thin and light. Why not?

The Airs are quite thin and light. Why not?

The main problem with bringing the air is that it's my work laptop and I'm not sure about loading a bunch of pictures on to it. I'm also not 100% sure how to transfer the pics from iphoto on one laptop to another.

Besides the weight, would it fit into a safe? Where would you store it for safety? Also, is it really worth ir or should I buy more memory cards?

Personally, I would buy memory cards instead. One less thing to worry about. Not sure if it would fit in the safe as I dont know how big those are. I was able to fit my billfold, DHs wallet, passports, and I think a few other items in the safe.

What I did in 2007 since I was so against bringing a laptop - I bought a StarTech InfoSafe. It came with a small battery pack - 4 AA batteries, and a USB connection. I dropped a 120 GB 2.5" IDE hard drive in. When I plug it into a Flash Card reader and then put the Flash card from the camera into the reader and push the "Backup Button" on the InfoSafe, it copies all the files on the card to the hard drive. There are three leds on the front which will indicate if the backup was successful. I can then format the flash card with confidence that I have a copy of the photos.

I still use it today as my old Canon Rebel XT has a max of 4GB memory cards (and I have abouit 10 of them) and I take a LOT of pictures. I've used it with my wife's Sony camera as well as my fathers.

I don't know if they still sell them or not, but I would buy another one (or an updated one) if this ever breaks.

What I did in 2007 since I was so against bringing a laptop - I bought a StarTech InfoSafe. It came with a small battery pack - 4 AA batteries, and a USB connection. I dropped a 120 GB 2.5" IDE hard drive in. When I plug it into a Flash Card reader and then put the Flash card from the camera into the reader and push the "Backup Button" on the InfoSafe, it copies all the files on the card to the hard drive. There are three leds on the front which will indicate if the backup was successful. I can then format the flash card with confidence that I have a copy of the photos.

I still use it today as my old Canon Rebel XT has a max of 4GB memory cards (and I have abouit 10 of them) and I take a LOT of pictures. I've used it with my wife's Sony camera as well as my fathers.

I don't know if they still sell them or not, but I would buy another one (or an updated one) if this ever breaks.

That sounds really great for backing up the memory cards, but what would you do to verify pictures on a SHutters CD? That's a big hiccup. If I'm paying $300 I would like to make sure I've got the pics before I get off. That's a big argument in FAVOR of the laptop even though I doubt we would use it much and I'd rather not lug it around. Thanks for the great info!

I would review the CD from Shutters while I was at Shutters. I've read of people doing that.

That sounds really great for backing up the memory cards, but what would you do to verify pictures on a SHutters CD? That's a big hiccup. If I'm paying $300 I would like to make sure I've got the pics before I get off. That's a big argument in FAVOR of the laptop even though I doubt we would use it much and I'd rather not lug it around. Thanks for the great info!

You have a good point there and never thought of checking the cd before leaving the ship as I've heard people not getting all the pictures they saw in shutters on their CDs

Just so you know...On our last cruise, (March 5, 2016), we pre-purchased the Digital photo package, but now they give you a jump drive, not a CD. And of course, you pick it up the last morning of the cruise. I got ours while he family went to breakfast. I would not bring a laptop if you were only using it for this purpose.

Just so you know...On our last cruise, (March 5, 2016), we pre-purchased the Digital photo package, but now they give you a jump drive, not a CD. And of course, you pick it up the last morning of the cruise. I got ours while he family went to breakfast. I would not bring a laptop if you were only using it for this purpose.

Jump drives are good news for us mac users, because MacBooks no longer have CD drives. Also, I believe Macbook Airs have never had them? We always take a laptop, but we use the internet a bit. What size macbook do you have? Are you sure it has a CD drive because I don't think you're air does. A 13-inch model might fit, hopefully someone with more info will let us know. If you're going to use it on your flights and perhaps before the cruise, I would take it if you feel comfortable with it being safe in your room (or the safe if it fits). I know it's probably too trusting, but considering the limited access to my stateroom, I have felt comfortable hiding my daughter's in our luggage.

The main problem with bringing the air is that it's my work laptop and I'm not sure about loading a bunch of pictures on to it. I'm also not 100% sure how to transfer the pics from iphoto on one laptop to another.

Besides the weight, would it fit into a safe? Where would you store it for safety? Also, is it really worth ir or should I buy more memory cards?

Bud, I don't know what to tell you about your company's IT policy and whether you should load personal pics on your work laptop. An 11" Air might fit in the safe, but I honestly have no idea. Given those two uncertainties, I'd just buy memory cards and leave your work laptop at home.

Also, if you decide to go with a bunch of memory cards, make the first picture on them one of a card with your info on it (name, address, phone #) so that if it get's lost there is a chance someone can get it back to you.

And many cameras will let you lock that photo so you can't accidentally erase it.

As long as your not using it to access work related things, I say do it. If you are using it for work, or thing you might, leave it home. Unplug from the world. Work will wait. I don't even turn my phone on, half the time on vacation. :teacher:

I never travel with my laptop... except on cruises. I like having the option of backing up on pictures, as well as adding books to my kindle, watch movies, etc. I also use it to do a bit of writing. I never connect to wifi.

I always just leave my laptop on the desk, no need to put it in the safe. If you're uncomfortable about that you could always get a computer cable lock.

Last trip my husband brought his work laptop. Only because we had the GroPro and wanted upload movies as we were unsure about the capacity of our memory card. If I am not mistaken, it fit in the room safe. If not, we locked it in luggage under the bed. Wasn't a problem. He has a windows based machine. Mac Book Air does not have a CD drive, so you would need to use another means as stated above if you need access to that. If you want to transfer from IPhoto from one laptop to another, you would have to export library to a USB drive or have a home network/remote desktop between the to machines to do a transfer.(internet required) I say go for it if you kids will watch movies or play games on the way to and from and if you want to plug in your camera and upload your pictures. Otherwise, leave at home and not to worry about bringing an extra something you may end up carrying about.

Seems like a purely personal decision. . . But as a corporate IT leader, I wouldn't be thrilled with my customers risking my assets and the company's data in order to store vacation photos...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter