To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I still think you're really close to BQ times :-) but it'll be hard to do that during Dopey
18:52
40:36
1:33:12
3:18:52
4:52:00
5:52:00

Tie breaker 52

I still think you're really close to BQ times :-) but it'll be hard to do that during Dopey
18:52
40:36
1:33:12
3:18:52
4:52:00
5:52:00

Tie breaker 52

Agreed, I can feel it's close. I'm excited for the Daniels 5k/10k training this spring because it's something new and I feel it's really going to push me to that next level. That 5k time is intense! A 6:05 min/mile with my current mile PR at 6:38. I mean it's probably doable, but boy howdy would I be dancing all over the place with a time like that. :D

LOL!

That 5k time is intense! A 6:05 min/mile with my current mile PR at 6:38. I mean it's probably doable, but boy howdy would I be dancing all over the place with a time like that. :D

I say that, and then I get Steph's guesses...

5k - 17:30 (5:39 min/mile?!?!?!?!)
10k - 40:00
HM - 1:31:00
M - 3:12:00
Goofy - 4:43:00
Dopey - 5:40:30

Man, oh man!

raw.gif

He was a pretty good Santa! But it makes more sense now knowing he IS Santa!

I can't tell you if Gigi met the real Santa or not, but I know Alistair did not. Our Santa gave of the vibe of definitely not wanting to be there, and stranger danger is definitely in full affect for Alistair.

nGXUIOI.png

I can't tell you if Gigi met the real Santa or not, but I know Alistair did not. Our Santa gave of the vibe of definitely not wanting to be there, and stranger danger is definitely in full affect for Alistair.

Yikes! I just get the wrong vibe from that Santa. I'm with Alistair as I would have been giving him the side eye. o_O :scared:

I'm not running marathon weekend this year, but have Darkside in April and just did Wine & Dine so can't really be too sad missing out. Plan on marathon in 2018 to hopefully break my marathon sick curse. Running with the flu (finished in 5:12 with character stops) was better than food poisoning (finished in 6:50 without sweating I was sooo dehyrated) but long term the flu lasted a month! It's funny cause I started by you in corral G in 2015 and look at you all up in the front now. It truly is fun seeing your progress & reading all your reports & such!

Tie Breaker - Dopey rank - 49

I'm not running marathon weekend this year, but have Darkside in April and just did Wine & Dine so can't really be too sad missing out. Plan on marathon in 2018 to hopefully break my marathon sick curse.

Well, I guess that's one way to break a curse is by not being there for 2017. It's like pressing the reset button!

Running with the flu (finished in 5:12 with character stops) was better than food poisoning (finished in 6:50 without sweating I was sooo dehyrated) but long term the flu lasted a month!

Man oh man, I can't even imagine that food poisoning one. That's rough!

It's funny cause I started by you in corral G in 2015 and look at you all up in the front now. It truly is fun seeing your progress & reading all your reports & such!

I remember! If all goes according to plan in 2017, then I anticipate I'll be in corral A next year.

giphy-2.gif

Thanks! It's been a fun journey and I'm eager to see what the future holds.

Well, the sore throat has move to a cold. It's still on the mild side, so I'm hoping I can keep it at bay! :sick:

Curious about the Daniels 5k/10k training plan, can't believe there's one more intense than Hansons! Guessing lots of speed work.

Good luck with the cold, hopefully you can either stave it off or it goes through quick.

I can't tell you if Gigi met the real Santa or not, but I know Alistair did not. Our Santa gave of the vibe of definitely not wanting to be there, and stranger danger is definitely in full affect for Alistair....

I remember taking my son for his first Santa pic as a baby and the "elves" were remarking how young he was (in retrospect, they were trying to discourage us) and Santa held him as though he were a nuclear bomb and gave major side eye. They must have known he would throw a huge crying fit, arching and everything! To this day, it's one of our favorite pictures and even my son thinks it's hilarious.

Fingers crossed it doesn't get worse!!

Thanks! Same here, fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes. If I can cross it, I'm trying right now. The beauty of a journal is it's easier to remind myself how really sick I got before the Wisconsin Marathon in May (about 17 days out) and yet was still able to put in a PR performance and outside of the wind was able to put in a really good fitness matched effort.

Down with the Sickness!

So, I know this one is quite mild in comparison, although it's closer to race day. But I still feel pretty confident, that'll have little to no effect.

In fact, pre-journal I'm almost positive I've gotten sick right before 2/3 of the other Dopeys. Typically the week before we leave, so if anything this sickness is a few days ahead of schedule.

Curious about the Daniels 5k/10k training plan, can't believe there's one more intense than Hansons! Guessing lots of speed work.

It's a beast. I haven't finished typing it up and modifying it to match my desired mileage. I'm using his concepts, but modifying to match my pace. Essentially the book provides two plans. One for a certain mileage and another for a different mileage. I fall between them, and thus feel it's appropriate to try and match the philosophy, but with my duration concept. Here's a preview, but it's still in progress (the paces are based on a fitness level of a 7:32 min/mile):

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.15.15 AM.png

As predicted, the T, I and R paces (Speed) are intense and numbers I've not ever quite seen before. And this is with a predicted fitness of a 7:32 marathon, so in likelihood when I actually do this these values will end up being faster. Have to figure how to come up with a good fitness projection from Dopey times.

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.17.05 AM.png

This is the first four weeks of the plan. Again I need to adjust the WU and CD mileage to get the duration of Tues/Fri runs up. I do need to decide whether to keep a Tues/Fri speed plan, because the original plan has some Tues/Wed and Wed/Thurs speed sessions in a week, but I'm not sure I can pull that off. Thankful for the new Garmin 235 with the bigger screen because there will be a lot of programmed runs in there now.

I plan to use this 5k/10k plan to help teach me how to run efficiently at these types of paces. I'll be sure to post the entire plan when it gets closer to starting it (as of right now scheduled to start the week of 2/27/17).

Good luck with the cold, hopefully you can either stave it off or it goes through quick.

Thanks! I'm hopeful!

I remember taking my son for his first Santa pic as a baby and the "elves" were remarking how young he was (in retrospect, they were trying to discourage us) and Santa held him as though he were a nuclear bomb and gave major side eye. They must have known he would throw a huge crying fit, arching and everything! To this day, it's one of our favorite pictures and even my son thinks it's hilarious.

:rotfl2:

Agreed, I can feel it's close. I'm excited for the Daniels 5k/10k training this spring because it's something new and I feel it's really going to push me to that next level. That 5k time is intense! A 6:05 min/mile with my current mile PR at 6:38. I mean it's probably doable, but boy howdy would I be dancing all over the place with a time like that. :D

I think the speed work is going to give a huge boost. Plus it's probably a nice change of pace for your body. Remember you're always faster in a race! The runs you were setting all those PRs on were much longer than a 5k :-)

I think the speed work is going to give a huge boost. Plus it's probably a nice change of pace for your body.

It's true. I think I need to find a nice stretch of straight road that is not driven on often. I've got a place in mind. It will allow me to zone out and really attack those paces without fear of things going on around me.

Remember you're always faster in a race! The runs you were setting all those PRs on were much longer than a 5k :-)

I know. I know. But still, that's crazy fast! I guess we'll see. I do tend to speed up on longer runs because it takes me some time to "get there". I was considering doing some strides this year pre-5k/10k to hopefully better wake everything up. Because I typically don't feel loose until at least mile 4-6.

But for comparison's sake, based on my memory I hadn't broken a 7:00 min/mile (I think the PR was around a 7:05-7:13, and that was a single mile, not the 2nd mile of a 2 mile interval like the 6:38 was) prior to the Dopey 5k in 2016. I ran the Dopey 5k in 6:47, 6:52, 6:54, and 6:42 for the 0.2 finish (because I decided to go the extra distance and all). So there is definitely precedent. :D

My only suggestion for your Daniels 5k/10k plan, if at all possible, is to run the interval (I) and repetition (R) training runs on a track. You will get a much more accurate sense of pace (exact time per 200m, 400m, 600m, etc). The GPS watches are really good at average paces on longer intervals (like one mile), but the shorter the interval, the more the GPS inaccuracies affect the calculated paces.

My only suggestion for your Daniels 5k/10k plan, if at all possible, is to run the interval (I) and repetition (R) training runs on a track. You will get a much more accurate sense of pace (exact time per 200m, 400m, 600m, etc). The GPS watches are really good at average paces on longer intervals (like one mile), but the shorter the interval, the more the GPS inaccuracies affect the calculated paces.

Agreed, that would be ideal. Unfortunately, I don't have good access to a track. The high schools are too far to run to and aren't a good drivable distance to make it worthwhile (about 15 min away). With that most of the tracks around here are closed. I have access to the University indoor tracks, but it costs $89 for the semester which isn't too bad, but it would be an undue burden on Steph to get them done there (we commute together).

My plan was to Satellite map a spot to spot run for each of the set distances (primarily the 200m and 400m as the others I'm not terribly concerned with at 1000 and 1200m). I'm willing to run the same patch of pavement over and over for consistency of timing so it should work reasonably well. The distance assessment won't be perfect, but it'll be pretty good and better than the GPS watch. Like this:

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 2.27.41 PM.png

I just need to find two manholes or man-made objects that meet the 200m and 400m distances, on a reasonably flat surface, using satellite imagery, with little to no active car traffic (which this and Matt Pass offer).

https://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/MeasuringRoutes.asp

Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter