To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Sorry the race wasn't all you hoped and that your left leg gave you so much trouble. Hopefully some well-deserved rest will fix you right up. You know, it's the tough races that really show who you are and the fact that you powered through all that difficulty and tough environment really show's what you are made of. Tough stuff, my friend. And, so great that even at the end of a tough one you can see all the great things about the race and how much you've improved. And, that GiGi is the most adorable little girl ever and who could ask for a greater person to greet you at the end.

Sorry the race wasn't all you hoped and that your left leg gave you so much trouble. Hopefully some well-deserved rest will fix you right up. You know, it's the tough races that really show who you are and the fact that you powered through all that difficulty and tough environment really show's what you are made of. Tough stuff, my friend. And, so great that even at the end of a tough one you can see all the great things about the race and how much you've improved. And, that GiGi is the most adorable little girl ever and who could ask for a greater person to greet you at the end.

My sentiments exactly! Thanks!

Great recap, sounds like it was a grinder of a day. Awesome job fighting through it and limping out of there with a PR! I hope the leg is okay and the recovery goes well.

Thanks! My body did everything it could to finish and then it was done... We'll see on the leg. I can walk on it now, but the bone and muscle are very sore to the touch.

Congrats on a great race and overcoming the breathing and leg pain to set a new PR!!!!
Time for you to get some rest!

Hey @DopeyBadger - I know you're probably asleep (well deserved!) and I just skimmed over your recap (want to do a more thorough read through later but putting my little guy to bed right now) but I just want to make sure you don't have compartment syndrome of your calf. It's pretty severe, so you wouldn't be able to sleep through the pain or watch a football game or write a recap. But if you feel like the pain is very significant and not "just" marathon soreness, please get looked at immediately.

Also, Gigi is soooooo cute!

Congratulations on the PR, and great race report (especially considering how you must have been feeling at the time).

Awesome job on the race and good job on the PR. I'm sorry you are in so much pain but it will pass and you'll start tackling your next goal. Enjoy your time off.

Congrats on a great race and overcoming the breathing and leg pain to set a new PR!!!!
Time for you to get some rest!

Thanks! :beach:

Wanted to pop in and say congrats on the finish!

Thanks!

Hey @DopeyBadger - I know you're probably asleep (well deserved!) and I just skimmed over your recap (want to do a more thorough read through later but putting my little guy to bed right now) but I just want to make sure you don't have compartment syndrome of your calf. It's pretty severe, so you wouldn't be able to sleep through the pain or watch a football game or write a recap. But if you feel like the pain is very significant and not "just" marathon soreness, please get looked at immediately.

Also, Gigi is soooooo cute!

Definitely asleep! Went to bed from 8:00pm until 7:00am. The pain is there but I don't think it's nearly as bad as what compartment syndrome is described as. Thankfully today it is feeling somewhat better. I can slowly walk on the leg unassisted. It is still painful to the touch (muscle and bone), but definitely better than yesterday. Decided to take the day off from work and just keep off of it.

The sad part is other than the leg "injury" (whatever it is) I don't have the normal "marathon soreness" across the rest of my body. My right leg (calf and quad) feels great. My left quad feels great. I'm not sure if I've ever felt this strong the day after a marathon. Which only further validates to me that on a different day I might have gotten a different result. But that's ok. Endurance running isn't an instant gratification sport. It takes lots of consistent hard work, and when you only get to race 2-3 times a year it limits your opportunities to prove the fitness gains. The gains are still there regardless of the final time and when everything comes together you get that magic moment. It'll happen again for me soon enough.

Gigi is such a good kid! I'm lucky!

Congratulations on the PR, and great race report (especially considering how you must have been feeling at the time).

Thanks! It's always nice to relive the moment as quickly as possible to catch all of the details. And since I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon it felt like a good time to write it.

Awesome job on the race and good job on the PR. I'm sorry you are in so much pain but it will pass and you'll start tackling your next goal. Enjoy your time off.

Thanks! Looking forward to the time off and rest so that I can get back to it soon enough. Thankfully, other than Dopey in January my next major goal isn't until October 2017. So lots of time to heal and get much stronger in anticipation for BQ attempt #1.

I know I already gave my congrats, but now I was able to go through and read your race recap. You are super strong for A) staying blind during a whole marathon (as much as you could), B) keep pushing even through pain and still getting a PR! and C) writing up a whole recap despite being in pain!
Getting an injury right now sounds like the worst, but I'm glad if it had to happen it wasn't a week before your race.
My dinky 5k was in the rain on Saturday and I have a feeling if it was longer than a 3.1 mile race I wouldn't have even wanted to start let alone run a whole marathon! So add that to the list of things you did that are awesome :)

Heal up! And Rest! And try to enjoy the rest!

So happy you don't have compartment syndrome. Phew! Finally got to finish your recap. What a tough race and you stayed strong mentally to power through and PR! I can't believe nearly 1/3 didn't finish. With all that rain, I thought you'd be blistering for sure, who knew it would turn out to be your leg. Last year was crazy wind and this year it's rain. Hopefully next year will be perfect! I wonder why you can't wear headphones if you're thinking of finishing top 5? Thanks for taking the time to write your recap, it felt like I was there! I love your "overall review" - great mentality. Anyways, I hope your leg heals up quickly. Just take a well deserved rest and let Dr. Gigi take care of you!

Congratulations on your race and new PR! I really enjoyed reading your race recap (and was impressed with how much detail you remembered from each mile!). Your training plan, perseverance, and attitude are all so inspiring - thank you for sharing it with us!

I wonder why you can't wear headphones if you're thinking of finishing top 5?

It is probably because the marathon is following USATF rules. I don't believe you can technically compete for awards, prize money, etc. if you are wearing portable electronics. They have rules in place to keep runners from communicating with others not on the course. This keeps coaches from being able to constantly coach/update runners through earbuds or whatever.

I wonder why you can't wear headphones if you're thinking of finishing top 5?

Here's the official rule from USATF:

"(f) The visible possession or use by athletes of video, audio, or communications devices in the competition area. The Games Committee for an LDR event may allow the use of portable listening devices not capable of receiving communication; however, those competing in Championships for awards, medals, or prize money may not use such devices."

So runners competing in USA Championships cannot wear them, but others may be at the discretion of the Race Director. I assume some race directors take that to apply to anyone competing for a prize, regardless of the race being a USA Championship or not, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially since most of us that use headphones are using a device that technically violates the rule. I know I use my phone, which is capable of receiving communication, so technically I violate the rule when I run races.

Thanks for the answers guys! Since I'm just the middle of the pack runner, I would never have thought about the strategizing for top 5 finish.

I know I already gave my congrats, but now I was able to go through and read your race recap. You are super strong for A) staying blind during a whole marathon (as much as you could), B) keep pushing even through pain and still getting a PR! and C) writing up a whole recap despite being in pain!
Getting an injury right now sounds like the worst, but I'm glad if it had to happen it wasn't a week before your race.
My dinky 5k was in the rain on Saturday and I have a feeling if it was longer than a 3.1 mile race I wouldn't have even wanted to start let alone run a whole marathon! So add that to the list of things you did that are awesome :)

Heal up! And Rest! And try to enjoy the rest!

It's true, at least I got to run the race. Getting injured the week prior and not even getting to run would have been an even bigger bummer. Now I've got a whole year before my next major milestone race.

LOL! Thanks! The rain was a bother. I've never had trouble breathing in the rain before but I guess I've never run for so long in the rain either. Congrats on your race as well!

Congrats on a new PR! Hope you are feeling better today.

Thanks! Feeling better and hoping a day off will serve me well.

So happy you don't have compartment syndrome. Phew! Finally got to finish your recap. What a tough race and you stayed strong mentally to power through and PR! I can't believe nearly 1/3 didn't finish. With all that rain, I thought you'd be blistering for sure, who knew it would turn out to be your leg. Last year was crazy wind and this year it's rain. Hopefully next year will be perfect! I wonder why you can't wear headphones if you're thinking of finishing top 5? Thanks for taking the time to write your recap, it felt like I was there! I love your "overall review" - great mentality. Anyways, I hope your leg heals up quickly. Just take a well deserved rest and let Dr. Gigi take care of you!

Yea, I don't know why so many people don't finish this particular race. It's not overly challenging. The same thing happened last year with a significant number of non-finishers. The joys of outdoor running. Only racing twice a year places a lot of probability in the hands of fate for weather.

My feet were completely water logged, but very surprisingly not a single blister. Which for me is rare. The others posted about it, but it's a USATF State Championship, thus they follow USATF rules. Last year it was the USATF Regional Championships and they were even more strict.

Congratulations on your race and new PR! I really enjoyed reading your race recap (and was impressed with how much detail you remembered from each mile!). Your training plan, perseverance, and attitude are all so inspiring - thank you for sharing it with us!

Thanks! At about mile 2, I was like oh man I've got to keep memorizing everything that's happening because I've got to write the recap. I will say this recap was harder to write than the May one because during the race I was so focused on running that I couldn't keep memorizing everything. Some of the moments I'm sure blurred together, but I did my best. I appreciate the inspiring comments. My goal is to help show others what they can be capable of because 5 years ago (before running) I never thought I'd be where I am now. So, thank you!

It is probably because the marathon is following USATF rules. I don't believe you can technically compete for awards, prize money, etc. if you are wearing portable electronics. They have rules in place to keep runners from communicating with others not on the course. This keeps coaches from being able to constantly coach/update runners through earbuds or whatever.

Yep!

Here's the official rule from USATF:

"(f) The visible possession or use by athletes of video, audio, or communications devices in the competition area. The Games Committee for an LDR event may allow the use of portable listening devices not capable of receiving communication; however, those competing in Championships for awards, medals, or prize money may not use such devices."

So runners competing in USA Championships cannot wear them, but others may be at the discretion of the Race Director. I assume some race directors take that to apply to anyone competing for a prize, regardless of the race being a USA Championship or not, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially since most of us that use headphones are using a device that technically violates the rule. I know I use my phone, which is capable of receiving communication, so technically I violate the rule when I run races.

Thankfully, I was only going for Top 6 or worse so I was safe too! Lakefront was a USATF State Championship so that's why they followed the rules this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter