To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Gave it my first try today. I still was a touch to fast thus my heart rate climbed too high again. Also, my form wasn't as good on the second half. I think these easy runs will really help me improve my form, especially at the end of longer runs. I wonder if it would make more sense for me to focus on heart rate and time for this the first phase rather than pace and distance? Thanks again for all the help!

Heart rate can be so variable based on a myriad of factors. The end goal through all your training will be to learn to run by effort. But you're not at the point yet where we're ready to introduce that yet (concept of Blind running). I think based on today's run we've got this right. You chose the faster end of "slow". Now try running the slower end (10:34). Yes, it will feel odd but it will become more comfortable with time. This pace should feel laughably slow to you and almost like you're not trying. That's the point. And these paces are all relative. My EA should feel like your EA, but my EA will be faster because of my current fitness level. So when I say "laughably slow" it's all relative to your current fitness level. For some that's 10:34, others 14:00, and others 6:45. But we're all giving the same effort for the same duration of time. Some people's paces or distance covered in that duration will be different but I'd argue we all receive the same benefits.

I believe most of the HR drift you saw going just over the goal 148 was partially due to the paces just passing the 9:51 goal and partially due to some residual fatigue from all the hard running you've been doing that we're trying to reset on.

Ugh tempo on hills. Too tough for me!

Yea, the marathon I've got actually has very little uphills. But it definitely has some downhills, and the overall race is a slight downhill slope. So I'm more concerned with tempo on hills going down then I am with the up. I get you though when I look at the Strava GAP I can see that my paces on flat surfaces are past the 7:33 min/mile. It's all relative.

I love reading other people's plans and this made me want to go back and read the answers to those questions I gave end of last year for mine.

@DopeyBadger You've reached the sweet sixteen!
BCS%20Marathon%201st%20Year%20Full%20Marathon%20Mile%20Marker-16-S.jpg

Nice to have a record of those answers isn't it. Reviewing your past is always a nice refresher to remind you where you were, where you are, and where you still want to be.

Woot! Woot! This is like the real point in the race for me when it turns from run to race!

Heart rate can be so variable based on a myriad of factors. The end goal through all your training will be to learn to run by effort. But you're not at the point yet where we're ready to introduce that yet (concept of Blind running). I think based on today's run we've got this right. You chose the faster end of "slow". Now try running the slower end (10:34). Yes, it will feel odd but it will become more comfortable with time. This pace should feel laughably slow to you and almost like you're not trying. That's the point. And these paces are all relative. My EA should feel like your EA, but my EA will be faster because of my current fitness level. So when I say "laughably slow" it's all relative to your current fitness level. For some that's 10:34, others 14:00, and others 6:45. But we're all giving the same effort for the same duration of time. Some people's paces or distance covered in that duration will be different but I'd argue we all receive the same benefits.

I believe most of the HR drift you saw going just over the goal 148 was partially due to the paces just passing the 9:51 goal and partially due to some residual fatigue from all the hard running you've been doing that we're trying to reset on.

Yea, the marathon I've got actually has very little uphills. But it definitely has some downhills, and the overall race is a slight downhill slope. So I'm more concerned with tempo on hills going down then I am with the up. I get you though when I look at the Strava GAP I can see that my paces on flat surfaces are past the 7:33 min/mile. It's all relative.

Nice to have a record of those answers isn't it. Reviewing your past is always a nice refresher to remind you where you were, where you are, and where you still want to be.

Woot! Woot! This is like the real point in the race for me when it turns from run to race!

So I did a much better job with my pace today, and was still able to keep my stride rate over 170. I still want to get it over 180, but I think I need more core strength to get there. I see what you mean about heart rate. Today was 88 degrees with a dew point at 75. Even though the run was easy, it got really hot at the end which made my heart rate jump. I don't think I would have been able to finish today had I run at my normal paces! Also, I ran with my camelback on for the first time. Drinking and running is tricky... Seems to make you lose your breath easily.

I did a little more research on Hansons and am working through your full blog. Fantastic job on your marathon last May!! I hate running in a head wind, I couldn't imagine doing it at mile 20. It seems like the Hanson training theory must have helped you prepare for that adversity!

Yea, a temperature + dew point of 163 (88+75) is no joke. Those are the type of days where I just go out and do what my body will let me because the weather is too intense. Kudos for getting it done today!

Thanks! The joy of outdoor endurance events. You've got no control over the weather and so you have to learn to just block it out and run your race. Having a head wind for the last 7 miles was disappointing, but I overcame and still PR'd by 10 minutes. Hansons has definitely made me a much stronger runner and more capable of enduring non-ideal conditions. This past year's Dopey is another good example. Coming from Wisconsin the heat of Florida was a bit of an issue. But I had done heat acclimation training the last two weeks of training in Wisconsin. So when I ran the Dopey marathon even though it was hot and effected a lot of people I only finished 10 minutes off my predicted pace. During the awards ceremony the winner of the marathon stated he was 15 min off his pace, so it brought a smile to my face to only be 10 minutes off mine comparatively.

image.jpg
This one was approved by my kiddo.

Psssst....7 miles, check
(I also made an eye appt for contacts...i just can't treadmill over 4 miles without them sliding right off my face)
Just a long run away from a perfect training week, insane right? #nojinx

View attachment 195421
This one was approved by my kiddo.

Psssst....7 miles, check
(I also made an eye appt for contacts...i just can't treadmill over 4 miles without them sliding right off my face)
Just a long run away from a perfect training week, insane right? #nojinx

My daughter approves as well.

And to the 7 miles. :cheer2::banana::cheer2::banana::cheer2::banana::cheer2::banana::cheer2::banana::cheer2::banana:

Oh and BTW ----->:tinker:

Yea, a temperature + dew point of 163 (88+75) is no joke. Those are the type of days where I just go out and do what my body will let me because the weather is too intense. Kudos for getting it done today!

Thanks! The joy of outdoor endurance events. You've got no control over the weather and so you have to learn to just block it out and run your race. Having a head wind for the last 7 miles was disappointing, but I overcame and still PR'd by 10 minutes. Hansons has definitely made me a much stronger runner and more capable of enduring non-ideal conditions. This past year's Dopey is another good example. Coming from Wisconsin the heat of Florida was a bit of an issue. But I had done heat acclimation training the last two weeks of training in Wisconsin. So when I ran the Dopey marathon even though it was hot and effected a lot of people I only finished 10 minutes off my predicted pace. During the awards ceremony the winner of the marathon stated he was 15 min off his pace, so it brought a smile to my face to only be 10 minutes off mine comparatively.

What do you do for heat acclimation training? Living in MN that's something I'm going to have to look into.

What do you do for heat acclimation training? Living in MN that's something I'm going to have to look into.

So during most of your training for Dopey you'll be wearing just enough clothes to border on being cold when training outside but staying comfortable. When you enter those last two weeks of training during your taper, switch to overdressing on everyday. It takes approximately 8-10 workouts to acclimate to a different condition (thus for people who run 4+ times per week about 2 weeks).

For example, for a cold workout I might wear columbia long sleeve, tights, and gloves. This would keep me comfortable in the cold weather but wouldn't hinder my performance. But during the taper during the same workout, I'd wear two columbia long sleeves, a cheap running jacket, two pairs of tights, and gloves. It was INCREDIBLY hot and uncomfortable to run in. I didn't care about pace anymore because I was in the taper. I was more concerned with giving the same effort but in this simulated heated environment. By wearing a poorly circulating running jacket, I semi-created a humid environment close to my skin (not allowing the moisture to leave). It is ABSOLUTELY critical that you continue to drink water as if it were a hot environment because this technique will dehydrate you very quickly and you'd like to continue to recover (taper) in advance of the race as well.

So during most of your training for Dopey you'll be wearing just enough clothes to border on being cold when training outside but staying comfortable. When you enter those last two weeks of training during your taper, switch to overdressing on everyday. It takes approximately 8-10 workouts to acclimate to a different condition (thus for people who run 4+ times per week about 2 weeks).

For example, for a cold workout I might wear columbia long sleeve, tights, and gloves. This would keep me comfortable in the cold weather but wouldn't hinder my performance. But during the taper during the same workout, I'd wear two columbia long sleeves, a cheap running jacket, two pairs of tights, and gloves. It was INCREDIBLY hot and uncomfortable to run in. I didn't care about pace anymore because I was in the taper. I was more concerned with giving the same effort but in this simulated heated environment. By wearing a poorly circulating running jacket, I semi-created a humid environment close to my skin (not allowing the moisture to leave). It is ABSOLUTELY critical that you continue to drink water as if it were a hot environment because this technique will dehydrate you very quickly and you'd like to continue to recover (taper) in advance of the race as well.

That makes sense. I'll have to give that a try this winter. I knew you'd have the answer, and it was a moderately short one for you. :)

image.jpg
Whoa-oh, your almost halfway there!

(And tomorrow it gets easier for me to find these once I can start using half marathon signs too)

This is incredibly helpful. I knew I needed to run slow, but I come from a contact sport back ground of no pain no gain. I literally get bummed when I feel I left anyhing on the table for a run... Hence the terrible recovery runs. My Garmin says my resting heart rate is 42 currently with the occasional upper 30's! I haven't truly tested my vo2 max, but I'm already at 52 and that was done on a long run!! My lactate threshold supposedly is 8:29/166bpm. The watch is still new so I think those are both wrong.

I absolutely would love help learning how to train. I'm one of those weird ones that loves practice as much as the actual race. So here are my answers:

1: Goal a is the be as fast as I can humanly get... Literally! I'm ridiculously competitive with my self, so if there is any room for improvement I want it.
2: as previously stated I want to qualify for the Boston marathon and break 3 hours. I also would love to break 5 min mile, 18 min 5k, and 40 min 10k.
3: life time PR is tricky all my times from when I was a teen are unofficial. I only ran occasional my to get ready for my other sports, and never ran a race until this year. Official 5k is 23:56, and everything else was done during training. In fact I only ran 2 races ever. Best run ever was when I was 16 after an outward bound, I ran 7 miles of trail at 6k elevation in 49 min and I beat all the other campers :-)
4: only ran 2 races this year. Both 5k's. First I ran 24:44, and I ran out of steam for the 3rd mile but sucked it up a sprinted the end out. Second, I ran my official PR at 23:56 and I ran out of breath... Ran negative splits for the first 3 miles with a 7:17 mile for mile 3, but pulled back when I couldn't catch the next group and felt like I was going to puke. I always run faster chasing someone down, hence I played defense in most sports.
5: this is tricky considering I don't have a lot of races and I've only been running for 9 months. I think in the beginning I would run out of breath and have burning legs vs now it's almost always my legs and never my breath. Only time I run out of breath now is when I run hard intervals.
6: I have no injuries, I rarely ever get injured, and I don't feel like I'm injury prone. Even when i hurt my self I typically recover fast.
7: again no real injuries other then my first month back in December. It was only runners knee and I cured by run/walking
8: I'm willing to run 7, but I know I need rest days if I want to get stronger... usually I run 6 unless I'm exceptionally sore or family/work gets in the way. I usually can do an hour, and Sunday is my long day. I work every other Saturday, so usually alternate Friday and Saturday as my off days(hate giving up Saturday's unless I'm working).
9: 99% of my runs are on an empty stomach. I'm not a big fan of a lot food before my work outs. Also never tried eating or drinking while running(though I just bought a camalpack for my long runs). Post work out I always make a smoothie w/ spinach, kale, whey protein, Greek yogurt(for casein and fat), tart cherry juice, strawberries(for inflammation), blue berries (for the sun damage), and either carrot or beet juice. I'm currently trying Creatine too, but not feeling any benefit so I probably won't do it again once I run out.
10:yes!! Lately anything over 3-4 miles kicks my butt. I'm thinking it's because I've been doing to much speed work. In the beginning of the summer I could run 13 miles if I tried, now I don't know if I could make it and it's only because my legs turn jelly or stop wanting to move. Plus I always stop running if my form starts sucking to much, don't want any injuries. Also, I live in Orlando Fl, so the heat is always a factor. I almost always run in a dew point of 75+
11. I love running because it's always a killer workout, I love way the way it makes me feel( I guess I'm a runners high addict), and I love being active. I started running for mental health reasons. Not to get too personal, but stress was overwhelming me and I needed an outlet. Plus I love meditation, and running is a great way to meditate. It's made my family life sooooooo much better.
12: this sounds stupid, but I wasn't built to play the sports I played the most. I should have ran... I was always the best long distance runner on every team I played on. So I picked my goals to push my self too the max... I'm almost 31, so I don't have much more time to set my lowest PR's possible. If I hit them I will probably set even more ridiculous goals until my age slows me down.
13: I hate treadmills... I only run outside! I am a stat/excel geek, so I just bought a Garmin 735xt with the running chest strap! I know I could have found something cheaper but I didn't care :-) seriously the coolest thing ever!! Before Garmin I used Runtastic and a Fitbit. They were a good start, but they are nothing compared to Garmin.
14: outside of my smoothie, I love eating salmon or any fish high in omega 3 fat. It seems to really help with my soreness. Also, I love all pasta and rice!! I Don't like eating before I run, gives me heart burn.
15: I used to always be positive split because I was terrible at pacing. Lately I can do negative splits for about 3-5 miles because I learned that the first 6 minutes are all anerobic so I just gotta keep it slower.
16: since the start I've only built my own running plans from research on the Internet. I've never followed a real program yet. I love reading, but I don't have the time to read many books. The Internet only usually scratches the surface, so I'm always researching better ways.
17: last three weeks coincides with the purchase of my Garmin, so I've been playing around with different intervals but no clear plan. I've Been running about 5-6 days a week with 2 easy days and the rest harder. I've also been plateauing extra hard lately. I feel like should be way faster than my current results. I sometimes even get to casual/easy breathing at 8 minute miles but legs burnout a lot around 4-6 miles.
18: I run anywhere from 10 min/mi down to as low as 5 min/mile depending on intervals. My max speed I've hit in the last three weeks is 18 MPH on 200 m interval. I almost always walk my recovery intervals, and that's at a 20 min/pace. Normal walking is closer to 15-18 min/mile.
19: slowest I can run currently without issue is around 9:30-10 min per mile. Sometimes if I'm totally gassed mid 10's but any slower my form really sucks.
20: I've been reluctant to schedule races because I feel like I should be faster first. I eventually want to start looking, but I want to be able to break 20 for a 5k and 4 hours for a marathon. I know I want to run a Disney race next year, just don't which one. I live in Orlando so I'm spoiled I guess. I feel like I'm best at a 5k bit more satisfied with longer distances even if I'm not as good at them.

I really appreciate this, running has really become a passion of my mine. As long as I stay healthy I plan on running the rest of my life!

Training Plan
Alright, here is my training plan for you. I am always open to changes as this is my first attempt. Please let me know if you feel it is too much or too little (either in pacing, time, mileage, days of the week, etc.) Now for my explanations.

My philosophy on developing a training plan is based on these principles:

1) Keep an 80% Easy / 20% Hard split
2) Have the longest run in a week not exceed 35%
3) Never exceed 2:30 hours in a training run if running exclusively (not applicable for HM training)
4) Use Arthur Lydiard method of specialization.

So the plan is based on your desire to run 6 days per week with weekdays capping around 60 min and Sunday being your long run day. I did go over on time on Thursdays for Tempo but you are welcome to cut the Tempo portion short if necessary (However you can't cut the WU/CD associated with those runs). I have included a mock 10K race and mock HM race to assess your current fitness level. If you greatly exceed to 10K projection, then I will make the necessary pacing changes to the second half of the training. You'll notice the first half of the plan is heavy on easy. This is intentional because I want to see how you react to this consistent training. The second half opens up a bit more. The current limiting factor to the plan was keeping your weekdays to 60 min and balancing the 80/20 split I desire. So in the second half you're a tad lighter on hard mileage because of the time/balance aspect.

So, some logistics.

How to read the schedule

The "Pacing Code" describes all of the different paces used for different types of runs. The dates are written with Monday-Sunday. The codes next to the listed days correlate with the pacing code. The prescribed training for the day appears underneath the "Description". If it just says 4 mi, then do 4 miles at the prescribed pace (i.e. On Friday 10/28/16 you will do 6 miles @ EA (10:34 min/mile) which will take 1:03:24 minutes). The easy/hard columns are the separation of types of workouts to help visualize the balance in the plan. The % easy/hard are represented near the end of the line. The WU/CD can occur at paces anywhere from 10:34-11:15.

The yellow boxes represent the total mileage for the week. The red number represents the % of the longest run of the week relative to the total mileage completed.

Red runs - These are blinded runs. Because you are just starting training and still getting in tune with your body I did not assign any of these. Once we reach the 2nd half I'll consider adding these in. The goal on every run is to memorize what it feels like to run it at that effort. The end goal will be that you could cover your watch and successfully run your splits +/- 10 seconds of the desired goal pace. This system will serve you well come non-ideal training days and races with non-ideal conditions. You'll better be equipped to tackle these without focusing on a desired pace goal.

Green runs - These are nutrition strategy runs. These are the only runs that you should take in any carb source. If the run is warm/hot you are allowed to take in (and suggested to do so) electrolytes. But keep the carbs to only the runs in green. Taking in any carbs when the training run is less than 90 minutes is a dampener of adaptations because it doesn't teach your body to run on fat. However, runs longer than 90 minutes require carbs because you start to increase necessary recovery time the more you starve the muscles. The 100 minute runs are in the grey area of training that you can either take in carbs or not. As of right now, I have not assigned any runs with nutrition but you could consider it for your 12 mile long run. But when it comes to race day, it won't be necessary to use nutrition given your predicted HM time.

Pacing

The pacing prescribed is solid. If I said to run 4 miles @ EA, then the goal is to run each individual mile at 10:34. If you were to start this workout and the 1st EA mile was completed in 11:34, the goal is to run the 2nd in 10:34. We don't want to sacrifice the 2nd mile to make the average 10:34 (i.e. don't run 9:34 to make up for the 10:34). I give myself a +/- 10 second window on Long, EA, EB, Tempo. I give myself a +/- 5 second window on Speed/Strength. I also give myself a +30 second buffer on the first post-WU interval. I view each interval/mile as a mini-goal. Can I run this LR mile in 9:29? If I'm too fast it's a failed goal. Running too fast doesn't make you better. It just means the goal of the workout was missed and could lead to an increased risk for injury. If I'm too slow I can live with it, but I missed the mark on the workout. Doing every workout at the prescribed paces maximizes the benefits received.

Why each workout

Long Run teaches you to go the distance and what the end of the race should feel like. It makes you better at staving off fatigue for longer distances by improving your Running Economy. Your ability to maintain your Lactate Threshold at the same value throughout the run.
The easy days are building your bodies aerobic capacity. The foundation of getting faster and stronger. There are countless benefits to the easy days.
Tempo teaches your body what it's like to run at race pace.
Strength induces fatigue buildup and then during the recovery period the body is focused on clearance. By oscillating between running and resting, the body becomes more efficient at clearance and use of lactate as an energy source. By improving your Lactate Threshold you will be able to hold a faster pace for longer without crumbling.
Speed teaches your body running efficiency. To go that fast it is necessary to maximize breathing, arm location, chest movement, foot strike, and eyes. Carrying over these skills into other speeds of running provide the framework for getting better and more efficient.

Memorize the effort needed to complete each run. When weather dictates that the run needs to be slower, then continue to run at the effort equivalent to a different day that had good weather. This may mean that what was suppose to be 9:29 becomes 9:50. That's ok, because effort based running trumps paced based running. However, if you're feeling good and the weather is great doesn't give you the liberty to run faster. If prescribed 9:29, but equivalent effort feels like 9:00, run 9:29 and pull back.

The goal with all workouts is that you should always feel like you could have done one more. This plan does not push you beyond that point. If you end workouts with your slowest interval being your last, then the pace/workout might be too much. If you consistently miss the pacing goal over the course of many consecutive workouts, then the training plan needs to be re-evaluated.

Important Techniques
One of the most important aspects of running long distance races is your running form.

Foot strike - The general recommendation is to have about 180 steps per minute or more. To have this many steps per minute, it forces you to take smaller, shorter strides and quicker foot movements. This is most important during your Tempo runs. Foot strike during the easy running (LR, EA, EB) is still important for reducing injury risk by making sure it is light-footed. The 180 is a recommendation, but is not the end all be all. Don't overly concern yourself with this number outside trying to keep your steps shorter and quicker. People tend to go faster by overstriding. They tend to have their foot land outside of their body frame (in front of their body). This causes braking forces through the leg and tends to increase your risk for injury. So stride length will come naturally with time and is definitely not something you want to "force". The faster you get the more leg swing you'll need, but I can run a sub-7 min/mile consistently without leg swing so it's not necessary until you need to go really fast.

Breathing - Ultra important during long distance racing. The body needs the maximum amount of oxygen you can deliver during long distance running. During all of your runs try to breath in a 1 in + 1 in + 2 out pattern (i.e. in on left foot, in on right foot, out on left/right foot). In addition, these breaths in should be from as deep in your lungs as you can. Relax your stomach and this will allow for deeper breathing. You can also try a 1 + 1 + 3 pattern if you find yourself with injuries developing only on one side of your body as this might be related to extra force during exhaling/inhaling. For EA runs, you won't notice breathing. For EB runs, you will notice breathing but it won't require rhythm. The long run is the beginning of the rhythm but it isn't consistent that you'll need it. Once you move to Tempo and less it will become more vital to success.

Shoulders - Try this right now. Stand up with your feet shoulder width apart. Interlock your fingers in front of your body and turn your hands so that you see the top of your hands. Lock your elbows, and slowly swing your arms in front of you until they are now above your head. Memorize how your shoulders/chest feel. Now release your interlocked fingers, but try to not move your chest or shoulders. This is your proper upper body running form. It may seem awkward now, but over time it will feel normal.

Arms - Arms should stay tight to the body with your hands closed but relaxed.

Eyesight - Keep your eyes up. Your eyes should stay at eye level or higher. As your eyesight drops to look at your feet you reduce your lung capacity by as much as 30%. Since oxygen is so important to speed running, this decrease in oxygen can have a large effect on finishing time.

The warm-ups are key for anything faster than "long run" pace which includes Tempo. Essentially, there are two main pathways for the body to use oxygen to produce energy. The aerobic pathway is mostly used in slower running. The closer you get to the point where it becomes harder to breathe (Ventilatory Threshold) the more you use the anaerobic pathway. The aerobic pathway is more efficient and faster at creating energy, whereas the body uses anaerobic when the aerobic can't keep up (because you're going too fast).

The most interesting part between the aerobic and anaerobic pathway is that even though the aerobic is used mostly during slow running it takes about 6 minutes of running before it can be used. This means for the first 6 minutes we're stuck with the slow, inefficient anaerobic pathway. So if you don't do a warm-up, and you're running faster than "long run" pace you push the anaerobic pathway too hard. This creates a deficit in energy within the first 6 minutes that becomes harder to overcome. As this deficit starts to catch up with you in later miles, it causes our running form to suffer. So ideally, regardless of the distance of the race you still do a light warmup. 5K/10Ks have 3 miles with a few surges to race pace. A Half has 1-2 miles with a few surges to race pace. A full has 1 mile all easy.

So for you, the EA, EB, and Long Run paces can all be started without doing any type of slow jog warm-up. I do dynamic stretching before all of my workouts and static stretching after my workouts. However, I don't like to make recommendations on stretching because the research I have read is that you're more likely to get hurt changing your stretching routine than if you did nothing/stayed the same.

Fueling

Let me know if you have any questions about this and we can discuss your options.

Diet

My philosophy follows that of a European style. Eat more at Breakfast and Lunch, whereas Dinner should be a lighter meal. Another key for endurance athletes is making sure we're eating enough food in general and enough protein. Protein is the building block of the muscle. Without a good source of protein in your diet, you might as well not be training at all. After sustained training in a depleted protein state the leg muscles will just start starving and breaking down. For me, I prefer eggs and chicken as my primary source of protein. They are both high in bioavailable protein (eggs higher than chicken) while being relatively low in fat. Now how much protein you need can be very individual. You have to find what works best for you. I tend to eat 1.5-2 g protein per kilogram body weight. Another key point about protein is that in a one hour time frame the body is only capable of using 30-40g protein. Thus, if you eat a massive protein meal over 40 g most of that protein won't be used appropriately. So try and spread out your consumption over multiple meals.

My other philosophy on diet is to try and make smart choices. When choosing between a natural item and a processed store item, it's best to choose natural. I used to eat sliced turkey deli meat (it was still good but not great). Now I put a couple of chicken breasts in a crock pot with broth once per week and leave it cooking all day. Then I remove the chicken, shred it, and wa-laa I've got healthier lunch meat made with little effort and in about half the price.

Alright, that's all I can think of at the moment. Let me know what you think about the training plan and my ideas. Based on where you are and what this training plan can provide you, you have the potential to meet your goals (not after this one cycle, but it's a start). The main goal of this training plan is to see what you can do and the improvements you make. This plan focuses on Lactate Threshold and Running Economy.

Attachments

• Christian Training Plan 2016_09_19.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 13
So I finished my half (thanks for all the help) and was looking over all the general stats and thought back on your BQ learning point.

Anyways, it was a smaller local race with only 709 half marathoners and 173 marathoners.

The breakdown is as follows (I have no time for your fancy excel spreadsheets):
HALF
253 men

50 (1-29)
72 (30-39)
60 (40-49)
48 (50-59)
15 (60-99)

356 women
60 (1-29)
107 (30-39)
112 (40-49)
55 (50-59)
21 (60-99)

FULL
96 men
15 (1-29)
29 (30-39)
25 (40-49)
19 (50-59)
8 (60-99)

77 women
15 (1-29)
28 (30-39)
23 (40-49)
11 (50-59)
0 (60-99)

Seems we women love the half, especially for those 30-49 (no wonder I couldn't make any headway in my division!). Its a great mid distance and easier to train for. I wonder if it's because the kids have grown up enough so we have time to run (assuming children) and we're more settled in our careers. For the full, it's interesting that the breakdown in age groups was pretty even until 50+. Anyways, all speculation.

Training Plan
Alright, here is my training plan for you. I am always open to changes as this is my first attempt. Please let me know if you feel it is too much or too little (either in pacing, time, mileage, days of the week, etc.) Now for my explanations.

My philosophy on developing a training plan is based on these principles:

1) Keep an 80% Easy / 20% Hard split
2) Have the longest run in a week not exceed 35%
3) Never exceed 2:30 hours in a training run if running exclusively (not applicable for HM training)
4) Use Arthur Lydiard method of specialization.

So the plan is based on your desire to run 6 days per week with weekdays capping around 60 min and Sunday being your long run day. I did go over on time on Thursdays for Tempo but you are welcome to cut the Tempo portion short if necessary (However you can't cut the WU/CD associated with those runs). I have included a mock 10K race and mock HM race to assess your current fitness level. If you greatly exceed to 10K projection, then I will make the necessary pacing changes to the second half of the training. You'll notice the first half of the plan is heavy on easy. This is intentional because I want to see how you react to this consistent training. The second half opens up a bit more. The current limiting factor to the plan was keeping your weekdays to 60 min and balancing the 80/20 split I desire. So in the second half you're a tad lighter on hard mileage because of the time/balance aspect.

So, some logistics.

How to read the schedule

The "Pacing Code" describes all of the different paces used for different types of runs. The dates are written with Monday-Sunday. The codes next to the listed days correlate with the pacing code. The prescribed training for the day appears underneath the "Description". If it just says 4 mi, then do 4 miles at the prescribed pace (i.e. On Friday 10/28/16 you will do 6 miles @ EA (10:34 min/mile) which will take 1:03:24 minutes). The easy/hard columns are the separation of types of workouts to help visualize the balance in the plan. The % easy/hard are represented near the end of the line. The WU/CD can occur at paces anywhere from 10:34-11:15.

The yellow boxes represent the total mileage for the week. The red number represents the % of the longest run of the week relative to the total mileage completed.

Red runs - These are blinded runs. Because you are just starting training and still getting in tune with your body I did not assign any of these. Once we reach the 2nd half I'll consider adding these in. The goal on every run is to memorize what it feels like to run it at that effort. The end goal will be that you could cover your watch and successfully run your splits +/- 10 seconds of the desired goal pace. This system will serve you well come non-ideal training days and races with non-ideal conditions. You'll better be equipped to tackle these without focusing on a desired pace goal.

Green runs - These are nutrition strategy runs. These are the only runs that you should take in any carb source. If the run is warm/hot you are allowed to take in (and suggested to do so) electrolytes. But keep the carbs to only the runs in green. Taking in any carbs when the training run is less than 90 minutes is a dampener of adaptations because it doesn't teach your body to run on fat. However, runs longer than 90 minutes require carbs because you start to increase necessary recovery time the more you starve the muscles. The 100 minute runs are in the grey area of training that you can either take in carbs or not. As of right now, I have not assigned any runs with nutrition but you could consider it for your 12 mile long run. But when it comes to race day, it won't be necessary to use nutrition given your predicted HM time.

Pacing

The pacing prescribed is solid. If I said to run 4 miles @ EA, then the goal is to run each individual mile at 10:34. If you were to start this workout and the 1st EA mile was completed in 11:34, the goal is to run the 2nd in 10:34. We don't want to sacrifice the 2nd mile to make the average 10:34 (i.e. don't run 9:34 to make up for the 10:34). I give myself a +/- 10 second window on Long, EA, EB, Tempo. I give myself a +/- 5 second window on Speed/Strength. I also give myself a +30 second buffer on the first post-WU interval. I view each interval/mile as a mini-goal. Can I run this LR mile in 9:29? If I'm too fast it's a failed goal. Running too fast doesn't make you better. It just means the goal of the workout was missed and could lead to an increased risk for injury. If I'm too slow I can live with it, but I missed the mark on the workout. Doing every workout at the prescribed paces maximizes the benefits received.

Why each workout

Long Run teaches you to go the distance and what the end of the race should feel like. It makes you better at staving off fatigue for longer distances by improving your Running Economy. Your ability to maintain your Lactate Threshold at the same value throughout the run.
The easy days are building your bodies aerobic capacity. The foundation of getting faster and stronger. There are countless benefits to the easy days.
Tempo teaches your body what it's like to run at race pace.
Strength induces fatigue buildup and then during the recovery period the body is focused on clearance. By oscillating between running and resting, the body becomes more efficient at clearance and use of lactate as an energy source. By improving your Lactate Threshold you will be able to hold a faster pace for longer without crumbling.
Speed teaches your body running efficiency. To go that fast it is necessary to maximize breathing, arm location, chest movement, foot strike, and eyes. Carrying over these skills into other speeds of running provide the framework for getting better and more efficient.

Memorize the effort needed to complete each run. When weather dictates that the run needs to be slower, then continue to run at the effort equivalent to a different day that had good weather. This may mean that what was suppose to be 9:29 becomes 9:50. That's ok, because effort based running trumps paced based running. However, if you're feeling good and the weather is great doesn't give you the liberty to run faster. If prescribed 9:29, but equivalent effort feels like 9:00, run 9:29 and pull back.

The goal with all workouts is that you should always feel like you could have done one more. This plan does not push you beyond that point. If you end workouts with your slowest interval being your last, then the pace/workout might be too much. If you consistently miss the pacing goal over the course of many consecutive workouts, then the training plan needs to be re-evaluated.

Important Techniques
One of the most important aspects of running long distance races is your running form.

Foot strike - The general recommendation is to have about 180 steps per minute or more. To have this many steps per minute, it forces you to take smaller, shorter strides and quicker foot movements. This is most important during your Tempo runs. Foot strike during the easy running (LR, EA, EB) is still important for reducing injury risk by making sure it is light-footed. The 180 is a recommendation, but is not the end all be all. Don't overly concern yourself with this number outside trying to keep your steps shorter and quicker. People tend to go faster by overstriding. They tend to have their foot land outside of their body frame (in front of their body). This causes braking forces through the leg and tends to increase your risk for injury. So stride length will come naturally with time and is definitely not something you want to "force". The faster you get the more leg swing you'll need, but I can run a sub-7 min/mile consistently without leg swing so it's not necessary until you need to go really fast.

Breathing - Ultra important during long distance racing. The body needs the maximum amount of oxygen you can deliver during long distance running. During all of your runs try to breath in a 1 in + 1 in + 2 out pattern (i.e. in on left foot, in on right foot, out on left/right foot). In addition, these breaths in should be from as deep in your lungs as you can. Relax your stomach and this will allow for deeper breathing. You can also try a 1 + 1 + 3 pattern if you find yourself with injuries developing only on one side of your body as this might be related to extra force during exhaling/inhaling. For EA runs, you won't notice breathing. For EB runs, you will notice breathing but it won't require rhythm. The long run is the beginning of the rhythm but it isn't consistent that you'll need it. Once you move to Tempo and less it will become more vital to success.

Shoulders - Try this right now. Stand up with your feet shoulder width apart. Interlock your fingers in front of your body and turn your hands so that you see the top of your hands. Lock your elbows, and slowly swing your arms in front of you until they are now above your head. Memorize how your shoulders/chest feel. Now release your interlocked fingers, but try to not move your chest or shoulders. This is your proper upper body running form. It may seem awkward now, but over time it will feel normal.

Arms - Arms should stay tight to the body with your hands closed but relaxed.

Eyesight - Keep your eyes up. Your eyes should stay at eye level or higher. As your eyesight drops to look at your feet you reduce your lung capacity by as much as 30%. Since oxygen is so important to speed running, this decrease in oxygen can have a large effect on finishing time.

The warm-ups are key for anything faster than "long run" pace which includes Tempo. Essentially, there are two main pathways for the body to use oxygen to produce energy. The aerobic pathway is mostly used in slower running. The closer you get to the point where it becomes harder to breathe (Ventilatory Threshold) the more you use the anaerobic pathway. The aerobic pathway is more efficient and faster at creating energy, whereas the body uses anaerobic when the aerobic can't keep up (because you're going too fast).

The most interesting part between the aerobic and anaerobic pathway is that even though the aerobic is used mostly during slow running it takes about 6 minutes of running before it can be used. This means for the first 6 minutes we're stuck with the slow, inefficient anaerobic pathway. So if you don't do a warm-up, and you're running faster than "long run" pace you push the anaerobic pathway too hard. This creates a deficit in energy within the first 6 minutes that becomes harder to overcome. As this deficit starts to catch up with you in later miles, it causes our running form to suffer. So ideally, regardless of the distance of the race you still do a light warmup. 5K/10Ks have 3 miles with a few surges to race pace. A Half has 1-2 miles with a few surges to race pace. A full has 1 mile all easy.

So for you, the EA, EB, and Long Run paces can all be started without doing any type of slow jog warm-up. I do dynamic stretching before all of my workouts and static stretching after my workouts. However, I don't like to make recommendations on stretching because the research I have read is that you're more likely to get hurt changing your stretching routine than if you did nothing/stayed the same.

Fueling

Let me know if you have any questions about this and we can discuss your options.

Diet

My philosophy follows that of a European style. Eat more at Breakfast and Lunch, whereas Dinner should be a lighter meal. Another key for endurance athletes is making sure we're eating enough food in general and enough protein. Protein is the building block of the muscle. Without a good source of protein in your diet, you might as well not be training at all. After sustained training in a depleted protein state the leg muscles will just start starving and breaking down. For me, I prefer eggs and chicken as my primary source of protein. They are both high in bioavailable protein (eggs higher than chicken) while being relatively low in fat. Now how much protein you need can be very individual. You have to find what works best for you. I tend to eat 1.5-2 g protein per kilogram body weight. Another key point about protein is that in a one hour time frame the body is only capable of using 30-40g protein. Thus, if you eat a massive protein meal over 40 g most of that protein won't be used appropriately. So try and spread out your consumption over multiple meals.

My other philosophy on diet is to try and make smart choices. When choosing between a natural item and a processed store item, it's best to choose natural. I used to eat sliced turkey deli meat (it was still good but not great). Now I put a couple of chicken breasts in a crock pot with broth once per week and leave it cooking all day. Then I remove the chicken, shred it, and wa-laa I've got healthier lunch meat made with little effort and in about half the price.

Alright, that's all I can think of at the moment. Let me know what you think about the training plan and my ideas. Based on where you are and what this training plan can provide you, you have the potential to meet your goals (not after this one cycle, but it's a start). The main goal of this training plan is to see what you can do and the improvements you make. This plan focuses on Lactate Threshold and Running Economy.

Wow!!! thanks for the plan :-D I can't believe you took all that time to do this for me!!! I did my first day today, but I didn't have time to set up my Garmin for pace reminders... I ended up running a hair fast on 4-5 intervals, but I was able to get my cadence up to 178. Today I'll program all my workouts in, and that will help me stay inside the intervals until I gain enough experience to run on feel. Also, hopefully Disboards will let me send PM soon, I hate hijacking your wall. Once again I can't say thank you enough for all your help!

So I finished my half (thanks for all the help) and was looking over all the general stats and thought back on your BQ learning point.

Anyways, it was a smaller local race with only 709 half marathoners and 173 marathoners.

The breakdown is as follows (I have no time for your fancy excel spreadsheets):
HALF
253 men

50 (1-29)
72 (30-39)
60 (40-49)
48 (50-59)
15 (60-99)

356 women
60 (1-29)
107 (30-39)
112 (40-49)
55 (50-59)
21 (60-99)

FULL
96 men
15 (1-29)
29 (30-39)
25 (40-49)
19 (50-59)
8 (60-99)

77 women
15 (1-29)
28 (30-39)
23 (40-49)
11 (50-59)
0 (60-99)

Seems we women love the half, especially for those 30-49 (no wonder I couldn't make any headway in my division!). Its a great mid distance and easier to train for. I wonder if it's because the kids have grown up enough so we have time to run (assuming children) and we're more settled in our careers. For the full, it's interesting that the breakdown in age groups was pretty even until 50+. Anyways, all speculation.

Definitely interesting. I find it interesting that it seems no matter the race or the distance there always seems to be a similar population of age groups and genders competing in them, relative to other races of similar distances. And the race times in those races are also similar given similar conditions for the race. Congrats again! A super impressive performance!

Wow!!! thanks for the plan :-D I can't believe you took all that time to do this for me!!! I did my first day today, but I didn't have time to set up my Garmin for pace reminders... I ended up running a hair fast on 4-5 intervals, but I was able to get my cadence up to 178. Today I'll program all my workouts in, and that will help me stay inside the intervals until I gain enough experience to run on feel. Also, hopefully Disboards will let me send PM soon, I hate hijacking your wall. Once again I can't say thank you enough for all your help!

No problem. It didn't take too much time so don't worry about it. My advice on the Garmin intervals is to set them up for Speed and Strength intervals, but not the others. I find using "lap pace" for the other types of runs more useful then trying to stay religiously within the desired pace window. What you don't want to do on the longer runs is to constantly make micro adjustments to pace during the run. This will fatigue your mind and can increase your perception of effort. My advice on runs without intervals is to check your "lap pace" every 0.25 mile and adjust as necessary but try not to make any dramatic changes to pace.

The obligatory first race weather post. Not within the 10-day weather forecast yet, but liking the trend I'm seeing thus far. It's a point to point race.

Start - Grafton, WI (T+D of 100)
Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 11.38.22 AM.png

End - Milwaukee, WI (T+D of 114)
Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 11.39.34 AM.png

Based on my previous data collection of the last nine years of start and end weather this seems to be about average. Maybe a little warmer to start and about average at end.

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 11.43.26 AM.png

The universe is sending me a sign:

Quote 1 - "Hey Billy, I couldn't tell if you were walking towards me or away from me." Me - Huh? Coworker - "Well because you had your head down, I couldn't tell if that was the front of your head or the back. I looked at your feet and it looked really weird."

Quote 2 - "Dad, you have CRAZY hair! You need a haircut!"

Guess it's almost time for a race day haircut... :crazy:

First sign this marathon is happening...

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 9.05.32 PM.png

So, now it's time to think what is the significance of "212". Almost Gigi's B-day (211). 212 minutes is 3:32 marathon time, so not quite. Thinking a 2:12 marathon time is probably out of reach for this one. Last year was 247 (which is 24/7). Gonna have to ponder this one... :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter