To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Your Amazonian post made me laugh...we luckily have had some less humid weather this week, it's supposed to get back to the feels like over a 100 though next week. I must be messed up in the head though because I love summer running, it brings back memories of high school cross country I guess. But yes it's all about effort versus getting worried about times. Those protein bars sounds tasty, might have to try them hate although I hate bananas.

Your Amazonian post made me laugh...

Thanks! It was a fun one to write.

we luckily have had some less humid weather this week, it's supposed to get back to the feels like over a 100 though next week.

Agreed, we were much better this week as well. Upcoming T+D predictions:

Friday night - 136 (9 miles)
Saturday morning - 126 (10 miles)
Sunday morning - 121 (17 miles)

I'm stoked that Sunday's long run temps will be more representative of October temps because it will enable me to get a better read on current fitness and predictions. Although yesterday's blind tempo run gave me a pretty big indication of where I'm at.

But next Tues/Thurs we're back into the heat with T+D of 154 and 157. Oh well, at least we got a taste this week.

I must be messed up in the head though because I love summer running, it brings back memories of high school cross country I guess.

I can't say I love the summer training (definitely prefer 30-50 temps), but it definitely reminds me of football practice in Georgia. But that was a whole different beast. Never was good enough to run cross country or legit track events (I ran in "Fat Man 4x100 Relays" where only throwers could participate and combined team weight needed to be over 800 pounds. Although we never trained for it, just ran.)

But yes it's all about effort versus getting worried about times.

::yes::

Those protein bars sounds tasty, might have to try them hate although I hate bananas.

You could try and make it without the bananas. I'll admit the banana favor is pretty minimal overall. Although, if you're like me wife and don't like the "squish" of bananas then you'll likely need someone else to make them. The only issue I could see is that the bananas partially act as a binder for the massive amount of dry ingredients, so it's possible you might have to increase the egg whites slightly to compensate for the lack of bananas.

July Training Report
Completed/Scheduled

Running Miles - 289.39/288.0 (NEW PR!!!:sunny:)
Running Time - 41:43:03/41:18:11 (NEW PR!!! :sunny:)
Running Pace - 8:39 min/mile

WOOT! WOOT!

Again, let's compare this to 2015 when I was training for the same race.

Running Miles - 186.63 miles
Running Time - 29:44:38
Running Pace - 9:34 min/mile

Crazy to think I'm following the same (or similar) training plan as last year. Except I've taken it to a NEW LEVEL! I ran over 100 miles more this month than last year, and about 12 hours more. Crushing it!

Also set a new week PR of 67.1 miles this week! :sunny:

Lastly, I participated in the Strava Global July Distance Challenge. I finished in 637th place out of 140,064 runners!!! That's the 0.45% percentile!!! Crushed it again!

Only 9 weeks to go!

If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it!!!!!

No dire wolf this morning, instead I got a dark tall slender figure standing at the park at 3:50am. I decided it was in my best interest to run the other direction. Could it have been an "other"? :scratchin...:scared1:

Ack! That's like when I went running on my local trail at 5am during the winter (sunrise: 7am) and the only person I saw was a man dressed all in white linen. :scared1: There's no street lamps and I didn't think to buy head lamps, but luckily it was a full moon, although it was occasionally obscured by trees. I started clapping my hands during my run in case any mountain lions were stalking me. Needless to say, when I got home I jumped onto amazon and bought a headlamp!

LOL! I got them where my wife works (local University book store (although not affiliated with the university)). My wife is the associate buyer so when Wisconsin switched to UA in July, she might have requested that UA make Wisconsin some running shorts. :D

Maryland running shorts
Under Armour!!!
Fanatics
Annapolis Running
Maryland Book Store

Maryland running singlet

Lucky you!!! I hope she got you a great discount!!

Ack! That's like when I went running on my local trail at 5am during the winter (sunrise: 7am) and the only person I saw was a man dressed all in white linen. :scared1: There's no street lamps and I didn't think to buy head lamps, but luckily it was a full moon, although it was occasionally obscured by trees. I started clapping my hands during my run in case any mountain lions were stalking me. Needless to say, when I got home I jumped onto amazon and bought a headlamp!

Lucky you!!! I hope she got you a great discount!!

Yea, no thanks! Seeing creepy people in the middle of the morning is definitely an immediate heart rate spike.

Discount was 50% off for one week, so yea the bank account took a hit. But I'm decked out in all new UA clothes now! :D

60 Days to Go (I'm BLIND!)

We finally caught a break this week in the hot/humid weather (Goodbye Santarem!). So I decided to test out the current fitness level to see where I'm at with only 60 days to go! Let's see how the week went.

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Speed +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

7/27/16 - W - Medicine Ball Workout (MBW)
7/28/16 - R - 1.5 miles @ 9:26 min/mile + 9 miles @ BLIND min/mile + 1.5 miles @ 9:44 min/mile (5/9)
7/29/16 - F - 9 miles @ 9:11 min/mile (5/9)
7/30/16 - Sat - 10 miles @ 8:33 min/mile (8/10) + MBW
7/31/16 - Sun - 17 miles @ 8:13 min/mile (8/17)
8/1/16 - M - 8 miles @ 9:11 min/mile (5/8)
8/2/16 - T - 2.5 miles @ 9:35 min/mile + 4 x 1600m @ 6:39 min/mile with 400m RI @ ? min/mile + 2.5 miles @ 9:44 min/mile (0/4)

Total mileage = 65.75 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 30/57 (53%)

Well, the temperature finally was more pleasant. So I decided on Wednesday that Thursday's Tempo run would be "Blind". I've gone over it many times before, but for those who don't know: Blind running is when you run at a set effort level equivalent to other days of the same workout, but you NEVER look at your GPS watch for feedback. No mile splits, no nothing. The goal is to honestly run at the same effort level and it is a means to evaluate current fitness and ability to determine running through effort and not by GPS. I've done this for over a year now and thus, I'm past the point of calibrating my internal GPS. So, this type of run for me merely serves as a fitness test. My wife worked late again on Thursday so it was a necessary morning run. I was up at 3:15am, ate a gel at 3:30am and out the door at 3:45am. I was running my normal route carrying my water bottles to the park where I would drop them off. As I was about 100m from the park, I saw a dark slender figure behind one of the trees in the park. :scared1: I wanted no part of whatever ideas that person had (likely nothing nefarious since he clearly appeared as spooked at me as me at him, but it wasn't worth the risk). So instead of the park, I just dropped off my water bottles in the front yard of a fellow runner. I figured on the off chance he sees my bag before I'm finished at 5:30am he likely won't mess with it. My heart rate was spiked (I could just tell internally) and the juices were flowing because of Mr. Slender, but it was almost time to start the blind tempo portion. I ran during those 9 miles with the same effort I would give during the actual race. Strong, consistent, and slowly ratcheting up the effort towards the end of the run. My goal was to run about 30 second slower on the 1st interval (thus 8:03), then within 10 seconds by the second (thus 7:43), and then slowly hit the groove. So let's see how it went, keeping in mind that I had no idea what paces I was running at the time.

1- 8:10
2- 7:47
3- 7:50
4- 7:38
5- 7:37
6- 7:29
7- 7:27
8- 7:23
9- 7:15

A very successful blind run. Successfully started slower and finished faster. A nice progression of paces throughout. I've found from previous experience that the last split is typically the best predictor of my current marathon pace. Thus, given the conditions of the run (T+D=134 and no sun) my estimated marathon pace right now is 7:15. This would estimate by marathon time at 3:09:57. I'd take that!

Friday was another solid day. However, the canine was confirmed to be a coyote because I saw it again. This time not at 4:00am, but instead at 5:30pm. Clear orange/white coat, pointed ears, muscular body, and swooping bushy tail. And he was freaking fast as he sprinted across the street about 50m ahead of me. I warned many walkers about his presence and went and talked to the neighbors that live in the houses he's crossing. I know they have small kids and small dogs so it was best to make them aware that this coyote is clearly using their backyard as his travel path.

Saturday was another solid uneventful day. Again this was a tough run because of the reduced recovery time between a Friday night run and a Saturday morning. But it was still within pace.

Sunday was a beautiful morning! T+D from 118 to 130. I was ready to absolutely take advantage of the day. My goal was to run at 8:13 min/mile. However, because of the drop in temperature I was interested to see what my natural effort based long run pace would come out to. So this wasn't a blind run per se, but it was a let things happen as they may run. Another solid run. Started slow and progressively got faster naturally. The effort was kept nearly the same from beginning to end. The last 10 miles averaged a 7:57 min/mile. So a tad faster than prescribed but because of the weather I definitely wasn't pushing it. So when I got home I plugged in a long run pace of 7:57 (for the last 10 miles) to see what my estimated marathon pace would be. And to no surprise to me it came out at 7:18. So for those paying attention, my Thursday blind run tempo suggested a 7:15 marathon pace, and my natural long run pace suggested a 7:18 marathon pace. Given the similar conditions between the two days I think I can reliably predict that if the marathon conditions are around 120-130 with no sun, then my marathon time will be around a 3:09:57 - 3:11:16. Is this system perfect? No. But it is a good predictor of my future time, and it's nice to see consistency in the predictions based on two very different types of runs.

Monday was another successful day. Since this was after the long run and before the last speed session, I knew the best strategy was to just take a very leisurely and calm pace. Don't push it. Barely change breathing. I felt strong in the beginning but could definitely feel the fatigue come mile 7 and 8.

Tuesday was the last Speed session of the training cycle. The T+D was predicted around 148-150 about an hour before I left the house. But boy did it feel a lot worse than that. It was a tough run, but again just maintain the 5K effort and ignore the pace. Ended up with 0/4. Came home to write this and looked up the actual T+D and saw 159!!! Yea, no kidding it felt tougher! And thus closed the chapter on the speed section of the training cycle. Now we move on to marathon specific training for the next 8.5 weeks. Honestly not a huge fan of the speed section so I'm happy to put that behind me and get to the meat of the marathon training.

So, a solid week. I was happy to get a bit of cool-down to the heat/humidity so I could do a fitness test. It helped confirm my suspicions that the heat/humidity has helped make me dramatically faster than just a few months ago. That's nice because when I scheduled out this 288 mile month a few months ago I wasn't necessarily anticipating the hottest/most humid conditions I've run in recently. I'm happy with this week and overall with where I'm at. If things keep up, then it only adds to my confirmation that I should be where I want to be come October 2017 in an attempt to break 3 hours.

Wait, you're telling me you actually did a run that wasn't the bunny on the pogo stick?

LOL! Yes, it's true.... :P

There was a time that I used to cross over the highways, stop at stop lights, cross streets, but it got to be so annoying. So now, I just stick to my bunny on a pogo stick route. :D

Facebook reminded me today that this is how we let the world know Gigi was on her way.

View attachment 185687
This is such a fun idea. If I ever need to announce anything again I will have to remember this. Except it'll probably be "Tacos" and not "baby."

Catching up on journals today. Nice Blind Run and marathon predictions! Isn't it great to move back to WI from the Amazon?
Unfortunately I'm in the Amazon today so my 6 miler will be indoors unless the heat really cuts down in the next several hours.

ONE MORE NIGHT UNTIL THE OLYMPICS!

ACK! I'm behind. Those cookies are insanely pretty. I'd say "to pretty to eat", but seriously, who am I kidding? Nom Nom Nom

This is such a fun idea. If I ever need to announce anything again I will have to remember this. Except it'll probably be "Tacos" and not "baby."

Catching up on journals today. Nice Blind Run and marathon predictions! Isn't it great to move back to WI from the Amazon?
Unfortunately I'm in the Amazon today so my 6 miler will be indoors unless the heat really cuts down in the next several hours.

ONE MORE NIGHT UNTIL THE OLYMPICS!

Thanks! It was a nice moment pre-Gigi for Steph and I to take a walk making this. "TACOS"!

Happy with how the predictions have turned out. So thankful to be back in WI, hopefully we can get a little bit of relief in the next few weeks. :P

ACK! I'm behind. Those cookies are insanely pretty. I'd say "to pretty to eat", but seriously, who am I kidding? Nom Nom Nom

Funny story. She made them about 5 years ago too. They were 10x better than these decoration wise. Extremely detailed Christmas cookies. So I took home 12 (it was a cookie exchange). I couldn't justify eating them, so I displayed them as centerpieces for Christmas dinner. When it came time to actually eat them days later, they had gotten stale, so we had to throw them out. When I told her that we displayed and didn't consume them, she was PISSED! She said never again... And thankfully 5 years later she's gotten over it (ok, no she hasn't cause she still brings it up), but this time I promised to eat them and not display them.

Sad face! :sad: I had to miss my 1st run of the training session... I decided not to run this morning because I thought the severe weather would hold off. Then I ended up at work an extra 2 hours... I would have finished the run if I had left work on time, oh well... One missed run won't ruin everything, but still I REALLY WANTED TO DO IT! :furious:

53 Days to Go (Specificity)

I'm entering the phase of specificity. At the beginning of the training plan, my paces on different days were far apart (Speed vs Easy). Now, as race day gets closer, I start to hone in on marathon pace. Thus, starts the marathon specific training. More miles. Longer distance intervals. And extending out the Tempo mileage/duration to it's peak. Let's see how the week went.

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

8/3/16 - W - Medicine Ball Workout (MBW)
8/4/16 - R - MISSED RUN!!!!! :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:
8/5/16 - F - 1.5 miles @ 9:18 min/mile + 9 miles @ 7:33 min/mile + 1.5 miles @ 9:05 min/mile (7/9)
8/6/16 - Sat - 11 miles @ 8:23 or slower (undefined easy) min/mile (11/11) + MBW
8/7/16 - Sun - 12 miles @ 8:13 min/mile (9/12)
8/8/16 - M - 9 miles @ 9:11 min/mile (5/9)
8/9/16 - T - 1.5 miles @ 9:31 min/mile + 6 x 1 mile @ 7:23 min/mile with 400m RI @ 9:47 min/mile + 1.5 miles @ 9:43 min/mile (6/6)

Total mileage = 54.25 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 40/47 (85%)

Thursday was another decision day for me. Run in the morning or run at night. There were severe thunderstorms predicted for the evening, but not until 11pm. I felt this gave me a large window to work with from coming home (5pm) to finishing the run. Unfortunately, work happened. We had a big procedure scheduled for Friday morning that requires a liquid to be at a very specific calcium concentration. Needless to say, this isn't an easy task. In my 10 years experience, for a first time person it typically takes 6-8 hours and multiple attempts to get it right. Unfortunately, the first time person didn't know this and started trying to make it at 2pm. Oh well. I was at work until 6pm and during the whole time I was watching the impending severe weather get closer and closer. Based on my predictions the weather was now scheduled to start at 7:30pm instead of 11pm. Since I left work at 6pm, I wouldn't be able to get out the door any sooner than 6:45-7pm. When I got home it was pretty obvious the run wasn't going to happen. Too much lightening, too much hard rain, and too much wind. If I had left work on time, then I could have made it, but alas it wasn't to be.

But a trend is developing. Last summer when training for the October 2015 marathon, the weather on Thursdays was cool and cloudy. Race day was cool and cloudy. This spring the weather on Thursdays was WINDY, and I renamed Thursday to "Windsday". The race day was super windy. Now during this current training cycle, Thursday has been hot/humid and severe weather. Prediction for race day in October 2016... hot/humid/severe weather involving lightening. Let's see if I'm right.

So, the decision needed to be made on how to adjust the remaining schedule for the week. Do I scrap the Tempo run, or do I scrap the Friday easy and make it a Tempo? I went with scrapping the easy. When reviewing my training plan, I edited both situations and saw that I would not violate the 80/20 rule or the 35% rule so I was in the clear. But since I would have 36 less hours between the Tempo and Long Run (albeit the short one), it was wise to listen to my body throughout this week. So, on Friday I did the Tempo run. The silver lining was that Friday's weather was much cooler than Thursdays. The run went very well with 5/9 paces within 1 second of desired pace. A very strong outing. However, I was wearing a pair of shoes that I know to be towards the end of their life (based on feel). I got a tiny bit of shin pain from using them and hoped it wouldn't linger. Time to retire those shoes and their twin. I added up the mileage (to which I remained blind to) and they equaled 321 and 320 in each pair respectively. Something to be said for knowing your body and almost dead on to when this type of shoe (Saucony Ride) dies on me. Goodbye Ride 8 A and Ride 8 B. Hello Ride 8 C and Ride 8 D!

I went into Saturday knowing that I would have minimal recovery time from Friday's Tempo. The question was do I run Friday's easy today or do I run Saturday's easy. I chose neither. I chose to keep the mileage at 11 miles, but that the pace would be whatever my body wanted to do. It was to be no faster than Saturday's pace (8:23 limit). As predicted, my body was sore from the prior day and the easy pace started out slow. As the run wore on, the pace quickened. The 1st half was more EA and the second half was more EB. However, the shin pain, while tiny, still lingered.

Sunday was the easy of the two week long run cycle. Nice. Easy. Comfortable. Dropped a few 7:50 min/miles in there. Real happy with the run. However, the shin pain was still present. Really hoping this fades away. Goes to show how one day in a pair of shoes near the end of their life can push you too far.

Monday was an easy day. And it was just that, easy. The shin pain still persisted and I was hoping to be done with it.

Tuesday was the first Strength session. This is the kick simulator. You build up all of this cumulative fatigue mileage throughout the cycle week to culminate in this final day. You teach your body, yea your tired but let's see if we can run slightly faster than marathon pace, but on tired legs. In addition, they're intervals. So you intentionally flood the muscles with fatigue by product during the resting periods to force your body to learn how to clear it more efficiently. It's always been a great workout for simulating giving that last effort push necessary to cross the finish line. So how did it go? Well I hit 6/6 intervals. For me that's unheard of as this is usually one of the hardest workouts for me. But today it was surprisingly easy. Very happy with it and another confidence booster run.

Overall a good week. While at the time I wasn't happy about missing a run, I know I'll be fine. It's a drop in the bucket from a overall plan perspective. Still maddening. I can also look back at the spring marathon training cycle at the same time remaining period. With 8 weeks to go I ran 56.25 miles and hit 82% of intervals. This week (with 8 weeks to go) I ran 54.25 miles (suppose to be 64.25) and hit 85% of intervals. So yea, I missed out on 10 miles, but that was 8 more miles than I would have run above and beyond the same point in the training cycle compared to only 5 months ago. I'm doing alright!

Next week's training cycle we hit the peak of the long run. 18 miles! And a total duration of 2:27:47! It's going to be an odd week. Thursday my wife works late (thus morning run). Friday my wife works a bit later (so morning run, or late evening run. I'd prefer morning (Go T&F Olympics) but it's got severe weather predicted right now). Saturday my wife works (thus early morning run). Sunday is the women's Olympic marathon at 7:30am (thus super early run to get in 18 miles before the race starts). Yea, I know I could watch it on demand, but I have yet to find an option for watching it that doesn't tell me who won in the title of the video. Like seriously! I want to watch the swimming 4x100 without already knowing Phelps wins. It takes most of the fun out of it for me. So yea, no replays of the marathon for me. Only watching it live because I don't want to know who won it while I'm watching. Go Desi!

Only a few workouts left to get better!

Tempo - 7 left
Strength - 6 left
Long Run - 3 left

EXCITING!

Last edited:
That puts it all in perspective. That's sounds a lot sooner than 53 days does.

So close, yet so far away. Not many workouts left to get better!

This is amazing!

Thanks! To me, this is nearly perfect to my planned race strategy. Start slow. Build... Build... Build... and then hold on and maintain! For me personally, running a 7:15 is easier for me after 8 miles proceeding, then to do it as the 1st mile. I am an endurance runner through and through as it typically takes me about 5-6 miles to "warm-up".

To me, this is nearly perfect to my planned race strategy. Start slow. Build... Build... Build... and then hold on and maintain! For me personally, running a 7:15 is easier for me after 8 miles proceeding, then to do it as the 1st mile. I am an endurance runner through and through as it typically takes me about 5-6 miles to "warm-up".

I couldn't agree more with this statement... other than maybe adding about a minute to the pace you speak of.

I couldn't agree more with this statement... other than maybe adding about a minute to the pace you speak of.

:P

The similarities between where I was a year ago and following Hansons are nothing short of parallel to you and your current training. I strongly believe you are going to nail that goal time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter