To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got back one week ago after 2 weeks of Disney World glory! We didn't mask, didn't avoid large crowds and enjoyed our time immensely. We are all vaccinated, and didn't get Covid (thankfully, because we had to fly home to Canada). I did find it odd the people who seemed really nervous to be there they seemed very uncomfortable and I felt bad for them. Truly, if you are worried you shouldn't come. In Ontario, Canada I'm used to people keeping their distance. At Disney, people were close talking to us and really getting in our space and squeezing up in lines and in theatres. To be honest, I loved it and loved feeling normal again - however, if this isn't something you're comfortable with then maybe now is not the time to visit Disney with the cases so high.

I'll be there with my 8 year old granddaughter, we leave tomorrow. I live in Texas and my county is reporting high ICU use right now. And my mom is on lockdown at her Memory Care because a staff member tested positive. In June when I booked the trip, things were looking up.
I was on the verge of just eating my hotel costs (unrefundable,stupid choice and I didn't buy trip insurance, as everything else could be reissued as a credit or just used later) when 2 things happened; Disney reinstated the mask inside and on rides and I got called from the waitist for a VIP tour. So between her DAS eligibility ( while the reason for it is unfortunate), and that one tour day we will avoid a some of the queue closeness, I adjusted our ADR to only 2 TS meals inside( and will cancel those if needed), and the ability to walk to 2 parks and avoid other transportation, I decided we would come.
I left the ultimate decision to my daughter, as I'm only the grandma, but she was ok with it. My granddaughter is great about masking, no issues there at all, and she will be in person in school next week where our governor has decreed masks are unnecessary. I'll isolate for a few days when I get back, and do a rapid test . But it was a difficult decision to make, but we will mask up in close quarters outside and all the time inside. It a situation feels unsafe due to others behavior we will just leave.

So tomorrow morning we will surprise my granddaughter with her first trip to Disney!

I'll be there with my 8 year old granddaughter, we leave tomorrow. I live in Texas and my county is reporting high ICU use right now. And my mom is on lockdown at her Memory Care because a staff member tested positive. In June when I booked the trip, things were looking up.
I was on the verge of just eating my hotel costs (unrefundable,stupid choice and I didn't buy trip insurance, as everything else could be reissued as a credit or just used later) when 2 things happened; Disney reinstated the mask inside and on rides and I got called from the waitist for a VIP tour. So between her DAS eligibility ( while the reason for it is unfortunate), and that one tour day we will avoid a some of the queue closeness, I adjusted our ADR to only 2 TS meals inside( and will cancel those if needed), and the ability to walk to 2 parks and avoid other transportation, I decided we would come.
I left the ultimate decision to my daughter, as I'm only the grandma, but she was ok with it. My granddaughter is great about masking, no issues there at all, and she will be in person in school next week where our governor has decreed masks are unnecessary. I'll isolate for a few days when I get back, and do a rapid test . But it was a difficult decision to make, but we will mask up in close quarters outside and all the time inside. It a situation feels unsafe due to others behavior we will just leave.

So tomorrow morning we will surprise my granddaughter with her first trip to Disney!
I hope your trip is as magical as you can make it! Stay safe and have fun!

I just left the parks yesterday after spending 5 days. My advice would be to postpone. No social distancing what so ever. Parks are packed. I’ll be surprised if I don’t have covid, even being vaccinated.

I really hope you and your travel party didn't catch covid. My family didn't and we were there for 6 days but we wore masks everywhere.

I am pretty sure we’re postponing for November. Only you can make the decision for your family, but I’d be happy to share my thought process! My kids are 5 and 6 and unvaccinated due to their age. Hubby and I are vaccinated. This might be controversial but idk if I even want my 5 and 6 year old getting vaccinated right away since it’s so new, so even if a vaccine is available in November they won’t be getting it then. Disney will always be there so we’re just going to take some time at home while we figure out how to proceed. I don’t want to go if I’m feeling anxious! We have a trip planned for April 2022 as well that I’m excited about.

also I have mega covid fatigue with masks. I don’t want to wear them. I get that some people don’t mind them, and I understand the reason for the mandate (I’m not looking to debate)- but I personally don’t enjoy wearing them and we’ve done Disney twice with masks, but that was before vaccines. I really just thought once we got vaccine we’d be out of this mess so I’m feeling bummed about masks. Just my personal feelings

Last edited:
We were at WDW the last week of June/first week of July. At the time, masks were required only on Disney transportation. We did put on masks when we felt there were too many people in one area, like inside queues. It was 3 from here at home in FL and 3 who were on vacation; all but one are fully vaxxed (unvaxxed is only 5). The 5 year old wore masks in every queue and in restaurants until we sat down (and we kept him and DH, who is immunocompromised, in the seats farthest away from other tables). We used hand sanitizer all the time; hand washing and I brought hand wipes and sanitizing wipes as well.

DH and I both came down with colds after going to WDW, which isn't unusual, but nothing that cold medicine couldn't handle (and yes, we tested negative for Covid). I also have my usual summer allergies going on. DS has been fine, but also tested negative.

DD#2, SoIL#2 and DGS #2 all went from Japan to FL for 3 weeks, then to NE for 5 days, to WA for 5 days, and then back to Japan. Had negative tests before leaving Japan, after being in FL for 3 days, before leaving FL to go to NE, and the day before leaving for Japan. They've also tested negative 3 times since returning to Japan. DD got her usual post-travel cold as well.

But during our time, there were not as many positives going on. Right now, I wouldn't go.

I just left the parks yesterday after spending 5 days. My advice would be to postpone. No social distancing what so ever. Parks are packed. I’ll be surprised if I don’t have covid, even being vaccinated.
We are definitely testing as soon as we return home. I don’t regret going, but I wouldn’t do it again right now either. It’s just too much work if you don’t want to throw caution to the wind.

Hello. I hope everyone is doing well. I’m looking for some info and others perspective.
First with out violating any HIPPA Rules, is their any information about how many positive cases are being attributed to WDW or Universla Studios? What are they these parks doing if someone is suspected of being positive?
Are there any reports of people quarantine in there rooms (onsite properties) ?
We are suppose to leave for. 20 day trip beginning on Aug. 10. (Doing Universal and WDW) my wife and I are vaccinated and have two children 8 and 10 (thank god are in good health) but of course to young to be vaccinated.
We are early risers and rope droppers, and mid day breakers. So I understand the expectations with lines and so on, but it is the risk of the children being infected and having to be quarantined for a majority of the trip.
Looking for some friendly but honest advice. Thank you.
To definitively attribute a case to Disney specifically would require a level of contact tracing well beyond what is being done. That said, magic pixie dust has not been shown to decrease transmission nor severity of any virus so in fact we can safely say that people have in the past and will in the future continue to catch diseases there just like anywhere else. And if people are packed more tightly on average even more so. Disney didn't just go back to masking on a whim either. As I interpret the rules, I'm not allowed to give you Florida's numbers in open forum but I can give them to you if you PM me and request them. I won't tell you what to do but if it were me, I would not be going down there at this time. Maybe in a month or two things will clear up a bit again.

I just read today that all Disney employees will be required to be vaccinated in the next 60 days.

The requirement is only for non union employees, most of whom are office, backstage or management. Most employees that guests encounter in the parks & resorts are union members so this mandate does not apply to them. Disney will have discussions with the unions re: those employees. Don’t want anyone having a false sense that every employee they encounter is vaccinated. The Dis News post: (you can click the link even tho it says loading)

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ers-to-get-fully-vaccinated-against-covid-19/

The requirement is only for non union employees, most of whom are office, backstage or management. Most employees that guests encounter in the parks & resorts are union members so this mandate does not apply to them. Disney will have discussions with the unions re: those employees. Don’t want anyone having a false sense that every employee they encounter is vaccinated. The Dis News post: (you can click the link even tho it says loading)

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ers-to-get-fully-vaccinated-against-covid-19/
I stand corrected. That’s too bad though. I’d rather all employees have to be vaccinated.

We just left, it was a wonderful trip. Go have fun!

My only advice is conventional wisdom or rope dropping 7 Dwarves, Flight of Passge or Slinky Dog might not be the most effective strategy anymore.

Seems like Instagram has let the cat of of the bag. Might be better off going straight to Space, Safari and Tower of Terror. Worked for us on days 5-7. Test Track was down for our Epcot day so that made for its own madness.

We have a little time (Nov) but I'm losing hope. Florida's numbers are unbelievable. I commend WDW for the vaccine decision but I didn't realize it wasn't for all cast members. If the high case count continues and the park reports are still showing large crowds, no social distancing, etc. we will cancel. Is there a possibility WDW can reduce the amount of guests in the parks again.

We went in mid May right when outdoor masking was dropped with DD8 and felt fine. We also went 6/30-7/8 and only did 3 partial park days since it was a resort trip. I did not feel as good about it in July. We changed what we did in July—no shows or rides that were inside or had a good portion of the queue inside, (exception was Little Mermaid as a walk on). Watched fireworks at MK from BOG to avoid crowds. Did not eat inside for the whole 8 days. Took boats for transport or drove ourselves, Wore masks (even the 2 vaccinated adults) in any queue or in crowded areas. I would not go now (for reference we were extremely conservative about covid throughout this). DH and I were thinking of doing an end of September trip just for Food and Wine and Galaxy Edge and that is on hold even though we are vaccinated because he is high risk. Of course, things can change dramatically in that time period. Just look how we we looking at beginning of June compared to where we are now…

I really feel for those people who have to wrestle with this decision. We just returned 7/24 and while we weren't oblivious about Covid and especially the variant, we didn't overly worry. We were all healthy and vaccinated, carried our own hand sanitizer and used it frequently, and wore masks when it was uncomfortably crowded. However, when we left the Disney bubble, I had a few what was I thinking moments. Since I had a dentist appointment a few days after we got back, I did get a rapid test because I felt it was the responsible thing to do. It was negative. My daughter got the regular test which was also negative. I don't think anyone can tell you what the right decision is. If I had a trip planned for October on, I would certainly give it some time before canceling. Things change so fast; things could be totally different by then. In the meantime, I just feel bad for all those people who probably postponed their trip a couple times already, and were looking forward to making some more Disney memories. 😟

The parks are so full right now and Florida was in the news yesterday over covid. Wish I could talk more about that, but according to the dis guidelines I will just direct you to google.
So we canceled our plans next week. Disney was Amazing they gave me credit to use at a later date. I did not have insurance.

Admittedly I was shocked how crowded the parks were on our trip last week. I knew they had been raising capacity but I guess hearing that vs experiencing it were two very different things. In early June you could avoid crowds if you were judicious but this past trip there were crowds everywhere. I did go indoors and waited in queues since I’m vaccinated. As the trip went on we started masking indoors as well (just prior to the mandate). I’m going to get a test on Monday since I wanted to wait a couple days after my return before doing so (it can take a couple days if you were infected to become positive). I have some high risk family members I need to visit so I think it’s the prudent thing to do this time. I would not plan a trip for right now but it is certainly a personal choice. As for October, November, etc. I would wait and watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter