To get the meal plan or not

When my children were young we made use of the DDP alot. We ate at many of character meals. The DDP let me budget our food money.

The past few years we used the TIW card and loved the flexibility.

Last trip, we just paid as we went. (TIW card expired and we will not be back for a year.)

I always used a spread sheet to make sure I was not losing money.

One of my tricks is to pick up several $15 dollar disney gift cards prior to our trip. I hand everyone one each morning. We often split up for lunch. (DD 18 & DS 16). This lets me budget quick service meals. Everyone gets to use their card how they want. :goodvibes

I liked the meal plan when I got it thought I saved about$50 per day
That's a lot if you're talking per person for an adult and using it within the rules. About the only way to come up with those numbers is to both get the deluxe plan and to use what you would have spent for the same items rather than what you would have spent without the DP. Even then you've got to get around the highest cost options for most credits. For the QS plan about the best you can do is break even unless you target PM, WPE and the combo meals. The basic plan is in between but closer to the QS from a potential value standpoint.

That's a lot if you're talking per person for an adult and using it within the rules. About the only way to come up with those numbers is to both get the deluxe plan and to use what you would have spent for the same items rather than what you would have spent without the DP. Even then you've got to get around the highest cost options for most credits. For the QS plan about the best you can do is break even unless you target PM, WPE and the combo meals. The basic plan is in between but closer to the QS from a potential value standpoint.

For 3 with the basic plan . I wouldn't use snack credits on anything less then $4 . I had a buch of snack credits at the end of my trip . I ate breakfast in my villa , a QS lunch and TS dinner one night I switched a TS dinner for a QS and had a character breakfast

Once agai. Thank you all for your input. I am still undecided. I spoke to a CM yesterday and she said that I should wait a week as there might be some deals coming out for DVC member on tickets and meal plans. But we all know that CM do not always know. However a week will not kill me my wife has already made our ADR. I will let you all know what happens thanks again.

Once agai. Thank you all for your input. I am still undecided. I spoke to a CM yesterday and she said that I should wait a week as there might be some deals coming out for DVC member on tickets and meal plans. But we all know that CM do not always know. However a week will not kill me my wife has already made our ADR. I will let you all know what happens thanks again.

Is there a place where Disney posts deals for DVC members? Just recently purchased last month.

I found when my 2 kids were under 10 it made sense because it was only $10-15 per child. We stay about 9 nights at a time and half of those we had a buffet as our table service dinner so we wouldn't be limited to a child's menu every night. Now that I have to pay $57 for each 10 year old that nibbles at their food I am not getting it this year.
I plan to make a reservation at Chef Micky's and Cape may but other then then just quick service as needed.Plus maybe some more breakfast type foods in the villa kitchen, we are more night owls then early risers on vacation.
It will be a slight different experience but at least this year we won't have to stop everything because of our pre planned dinner reservation.
Next year I will probably get a TIW card if we miss the table services when I get our annual passes. I stagger the passes to get 2 years worth of trips and this is our second trip year ( was able to get the special promotion premium passes for DVC last December 12 and activated them August 13).However if we enjoy not being tied to table service reservations I will skip the card.

For 3 with the basic plan . I wouldn't use snack credits on anything less then $4 . I had a buch of snack credits at the end of my trip . I ate breakfast in my villa , a QS lunch and TS dinner one night I switched a TS dinner for a QS and had a character breakfast
I'm not seeing how that's doable consistently in 2013 or 2014 used as Disney intends. If you go through and pick the more expensive single credit restaurant's, get the highest cost item at every choice, get smoothies for drinks, get $5 snacks, only use TS for dinner and then the most expensive QS meals at WPE or the combo meals (not done at lunch either normally); it's difficult to get to $50 savings for 3 adults for a single day much less averaging that. Every buffet, every TS used at luck or QS used elsewhere will decrease the value. Le Cellier was likely the best return when it was a single credit charge, $33 entree's is about as high as you can get now. Plus, as I mentioned, if it's more than you would have spent OOP you're losing savings though you may gain value plus you'll have the tip on top of the higher cost.

I'm not seeing how that's doable consistently in 2013 or 2014 used as Disney intends. If you go through and pick the more expensive single credit restaurant's, get the highest cost item at every choice, get smoothies for drinks, get $5 snacks, only use TS for dinner and then the most expensive QS meals at WPE or the combo meals (not done at lunch either normally); it's difficult to get to $50 savings for 3 adults for a single day much less averaging that. Every buffet, every TS used at luck or QS used elsewhere will decrease the value. Le Cellier was likely the best return when it was a single credit charge, $33 entree's is about as high as you can get now. Plus, as I mentioned, if it's more than you would have spent OOP you're losing savings though you may gain value plus you'll have the tip on top of the higher cost.

Ok

We did the DDP for all of our trips until the last one (we purchased TIW).

Frankly, we liked not having the DDP. Outside of the money, it felt we were always "forcing" snacks and meals on the DDP. With TIW, we just ate what we wanted, when we wanted, and let the money fall where it did.

It turns out we spent less and enjoyed the food more because we only ate what we wanted. A good example, for 5 people, splitting 2 or 3 desserts always worked for us. On DDP, we would force 5 desserts on every meal. It was nice just getting a snack when you wanted one instead of saying "wow, we still have 10 snacks left and it is the last day... lets get lots of snacks today"

If we wanted a sit down for lunch, we did it. If we wanted a QS for dinner, we did it. We never had to "fit" our preference into a specific allocation.

I just liked the freedom even more then the savings. You just have to be comfortable with the "unknown" of exactly how much food will cost. If you fixate on it at every step, the DDP might be a less stressful experience. My wife used to calculate a running bill in her head every day in our early trips and I think it caused more stress then it was worth and the DDP removed that issue.

On our last trip, we decided not to worry about it and just see where the money landed. For us, it came out less and we enjoyed the freedom more.

Agreed! We like to share an app and a dessert. We never get a dessert at QS. Last time we did DDP (maybe 07 or 08) we had a fridge full of uneaten desserts.

Also I don't want to seek out the most expensive/best value. I want what I want and if I want to used a snack credit on a banana I don't want to kick myself that I should have got the lobster bisque at a Food and Wine booth or something.

Also I think the more you go the less you want to eat all those big meals all the time (I may be off here) We averaged 3-4 trips a year from 05-10 and ate everywhere, twice. Now we just don't have the desire. We snack, graze, maybe order pizza, snack in the room and split. We've never gone home hungry.

Also I think the more you go the less you want to eat all those big meals all the time (I may be off here)
I've seen info related to AI's and a previous Disney program that was similar (food n fun) that suggest after 3 days most tend to slow down on their choices and thus get a lower $$$ return. That and the fact there are only so many highest cost options lends itself to people getting a lower value over a longer trip compared to a shorter trip all else being equal.

I was hoping you could show me how you were able to do this and that I might learn something to help with future decisions.

I am sorry I don't have the time to prove it to you , then prove it again then prove it again after that so ill just say ok , and move on .

We used the meal plan 3 times I think, the best value was in 2006 when we went since it included the app and tip. We use TIW now, wow what a savings. We tend to order apps and maybe one desert between the 5 of us. DH and I like to have a few drinks with dinner also.

With the meal plan we were losing money since I was begging the boys to eat a steak when all they wanted was to split a burger. We always struggled to use up the credits.

So my family and I are going to disney is February for six day and we are not sure if we are going to get the meal plan or not. We have always gotten it in the past but not sure this time. There is myself the wife and to little princess 5 & 3 and like all kids it is hit or miss if they are going to eat that much. We have three ADR made Already chief Mickeys, Be our guest, and Hollywood and vine. Other then that we are planning to eat quick services and maybe one more sit down meal. So here are my two questions. 1) are we better with the meal plan or not? 2) What quick services do you all recommend? Thank you in advance for all your input.

Don't do it. It is never worth it.

I discovered that I cannot each as much as the meal plan offers. I would suggest you purchase Tables in Wonderland. In my opinion it's a better value, last a year and includes discounts on alcohol.

ludari said:
I discovered that I cannot each as much as the meal plan offers. I would suggest you purchase Tables in Wonderland. In my opinion it's a better value, last a year and includes discounts on alcohol.

I feel the same, had done the dining plan before, but now prefer TIW. Went on a trip last month and ended up in staying in bed for 7 out of 9 days of our vacation with walking pneumonia. Glad we didn't get the dining plan or most of my meal credits would not have been used since I only wanted to eat soup. Aside from that I prefer ordering what I want to eat and often times that is just an appetizer and a glass of wine.

This is why I feel that shorter stays are a much better use of the DP because you can spread the credits out. Kids 3-9 often add value. The DP options are specialty options that work for some and not for others. The issues is that with the changes and price increases over the years, the group they work for is smaller and smaller. There is also considerable risk because it's use or lose so if anyone becomes ill, you miss your reservations or have to leave unexpectedly, you've lost the entire amount. This is why I feel that the DP should give a return of at least 20% either in $$$ or desired increased value (not just increases because you got the more expensive options) and why I feel it's a poor choice simply for the convenience or prepayment.

Thank you to whoever suggested the excel spreadsheet that compares the costs. I was originally pro dining plan as seen in my earlier posts but, I'm considering paying out of pocket for our next 6 night vacation. Reason being is, it looks like the DP keeps going up in price, and there are restaurants we would like to eat at, but wouldn't make sense on the DP. For example, I would like to get the lobster roll at Captains Grill, or maybe eat at a TS for breakfast.

So, I may buy a gift card for $700 (cost of DP for 2 people for 6 nights) and use that to pay for meals. Also, since the F&WF is not this trip, our snack credits won't be the best value as they were before. Plus it looks like DVC members get 10% off at several dining locations.

I do have a question though, for calculation purposes, what is the tax rate at restaurants/quick service locations at WDW?

Thanks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter