• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To get a TA or not

rosermama

DIS Veteran
I have been thinking of getting a TA for my already booked cruise in Nov on the Fantasy and I was wondering what the pros and cons would be??

Also how does having a TA work compared to not having one?

I have Gold status so would I still be able to book excursions at 105 days out?

If you could transfer it to a TA who can offer a nice OBC (like small world or dreams), it would definitely be worth it! Booking through a TA shouldn't effect your excursion booking windows.

You can still do all your own on line bookings whether you use a TA or not. If you do transfer to a TA, all financial stuff and questions/changes to reservation must go thru the TA. Many TAs offer an onboard credit, gift card, or other as a "thanks for booking with us" gift.

I see no downside to using a good, experienced TA, and the upside is the OBC. In addition, you should get great service, prompt communication, and the benefit of their years of knowledge and training.

You can still do all your own on line bookings whether you use a TA or not. If you do transfer to a TA, all financial stuff and questions/changes to reservation must go thru the TA. Many TAs offer an onboard credit, gift card, or other as a "thanks for booking with us" gift.

I see no downside to using a good, experienced TA, and the upside is the OBC. In addition, you should get great service, prompt communication, and the benefit of their years of knowledge and training.

I've LOVED all your great info/advice/input over the years

Let's say I wanted to go with DU but was still unsure, can I get a quote 1st without any commitments?

I'm using one of the travel agencies mentioned in this thread and it has been 100% *not* worth it to me at all. The OBC will be nice, but the agent is slow in responding to my questions and sometimes I have to ask them twice. She also has given me incorrect answers. I'm completely unimpressed by the service from this large scale agency and won't be using them again. I would much rather either have complete control over my own reservation or book through Costco and have a nice big Costco cash card.

I've also had a very bad experience with a TA during our first cruise and will never again book through one. The OBC isn't worth it to me to give up control of my reservation and risk another bad TA.

I was wondering the same thing about using a TA. It doesn't seem worth it to me and besides, I'm too much of a control freak to give up any of my power! Also, at least I know it's done right. I only trust myself! :rolleyes1

Let's say I wanted to go with DU but was still unsure, can I get a quote 1st without any commitments?

Absolutely. You will first be advised what can be done in the way of onboard credits. You can take the offer and complete the transfer, or you can refuse and keep control of your reservation.

I'm so glad this question was posted... arms me with info. But I have a question for those who are experienced: when is the general last date one can transfer a reservation to a TA? The past few comments make me want to retain control, but once I'm on the home stretch, could I then transfer it over (as long as final payment isn't made yet)? Thanks for the input everyone!:thumbsup2

You can transfer anytime until the reservation is paid in full. Not the balance due date - but when it's paid in full. So if you pay it off early, you wouldn't be able to transfer it.

Hope that helps. :)

If you do want to look, don't hesitate to shop around. I emailed 4 or 5 different agents recommended to me to explain my situation, what I was looking for and asked what they could do for me and how they could help. I also was up front that I was currently shopping for a TA and was contacting others with the same ask. I will say one TA from a group currently offering some nice OBC and swag was unimpressive in her response to say the least and another from a different one had a fantastic response. I would definitely shop to find someone you feel comfortable with and confident in.

I have never used a TA. I don't get it how they can offer the on board credit and still have the price of the cruise be the dame as booking directly through the cruise line? Does anyone know how that works?

we are working w one right now, I have never used one before on WDW trips. My experience is she was helpful for some questions, she has cruised our ship before. We got a small OBC. She generally responded pretty quickly. She was able to switch my dining to Main after a miscommunication, which was good. I didn't like that I got my travel doc package 2 weeks before we were leaving when DCL sends them out about 30 days.
It costs you nothing but yes you do lose control over the financial part of your trip if that matters to you.

I have never used a TA. I don't get it how they can offer the on board credit and still have the price of the cruise be the dame as booking directly through the cruise line? Does anyone know how that works?

Well they must be getting a credit from Disney equal to or greater than what they are giving you. I believe Costco and many of the other more competive agents give you about 10% back. I didn't really need a travel agent, but there was no way I was going to pass up $600 from Costco.

We used a TA from the other one mentioned above that does not sponsor this thread... The one from the most annoyingly musical themed ride in the Magic Kingdom!

I am a total control freak, and liked it, simply for the decent OBC. I booked flights and rental cars on my own.

It wasn't a ton, but it paid for some! She also helped us out when we needed info right before the trip about medical services, as my dad had issues right before travel. Her advice was spot on.

Shop around for a good one that replies promptly.

Having a TA can give you a bigger OBC, however, for me I like to have complete control over my reservations. If I want to pay as I go online, I can do that without a TA. If I had a TA, I would have to pay them each time and then they would pay DCL. I like being able to move my reservations if I need to or inquire about moving them without having to go through someone else. I'm a control freak so it works for me. :)

Well they must be getting a credit from Disney equal to or greater than what they are giving you. I believe Costco and many of the other more competive agents give you about 10% back. I didn't really need a travel agent, but there was no way I was going to pass up $600 from Costco.

Can you book a future cruise onboard and list Costco as the TA to get any cash card Costco might be offering? We are going on our first cruise and booked online through Costco but I'm sure we'll want to book onboard for our 2nd cruise.:)

Edited To Add: Found the answer on Costco website.
"To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel.
Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit."

It depends on what type of services you need to find the right TA for you. Do you have some questions? Do you often change your mind about switching cabins, changing sail dates, adding and dropping guests, need help getting early seating, etc.? A Disney specialtist will assist you with all these things. Its a competitive market, and I'm sure you'll find someone you can click with. It took me 2 ok agents, until I found "my" agent. I am loyal to her now, specially since our transatlantic flight was delayed, and while we were stuck on the tarmac, she e-mailed us a whole list of possible flight alternatives, with current seat availability. And no, we did not book our airfare through her or Disney.

Now if you are quite sure you know when you are going, Costco may be the way to go for the max benefit. Or I just checked Best Price Cruises for some Fantasy cruises in September in a cat T, and they offered between 700-800$ obc. BPC does charge you 100$ to change your sail date, so I Would not recommend them until you are absolutely certain your plans don't involve many changes. We have booked two cruises (not dcl) with them, and have never had a problem, either using their chat box, emailing them, or calling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter