To Fly or to Drive, that is the ??

100 acre wood

<font color=limegreen>Neither he nor she am I<br><
Hey everyone, we need a bit of help here deciding whether to drive or to fly this year? The cost will be the same, it is a 16 hour drive, we have driven it before.:drive:

So, people, which do you prefer? three kiddos in the car, they do travel well.
DH hates the hassle of flying, but does like that we would be in the magic in two hours instead of 16???

Any and all advice appreciated!
Thanks!:yay:

1)----Where will you be flying from if you chose to do so?

2)----Would you please define the term 'hassle of flying' as you perceive it to be?

jmho but if any drive is more than 6 hrs then we fly. Driving is much more of a hassle than flying any day.

we would be flying out of Dulles, so that is an hour and half drive to the airport.

Percieved hassles of driving include..in no particular order,
-getting to airport on time
-getting luggage in a decent time at arrival
-nervousness while in the air
-renting a car, then returning the car at the Swan/ Dolphin
-taking taxi to Universal after 7 days at the BC
-taking another taxi back to MCO for departure, which leads to repeating some of the above worries about getting to airport in time and luggage, then another 1 and half drive home.
These are mostly DH's issues, whereas I have told him it is safer to fly than to drive. I am the one who is nervous the whole drive in the car, on constant alert for him falling asleep and on the lookout for other drivers!

Plus the hassle of just checking your bags at the airline counter and going through security!!!
We always used to drive (and that has it's own share of hassles), but the idea of getting to WDW in less than 2 hours vs 16 has convinced us that flying is the lesser of two evils. (We fly Airtran out of BWI).

For me, the larger issue would be the 16 hour drive HOME!

I vote for the plane!

We drove in October from NJ and I would do it again. We are close to AC airport and got $98 round trip, family of five, on Spirit. So we are flying the next trip. You have to do what is best for you.:goodvibes

Here is a wrinkle that you may want to consider... have you thought about taking the train? Since you are thinking about flying out of Dulles, it should be really easy for you to head over to Lorton to get on the Autotrain. The trip time would be about as long as driving but you wouldn't have to worry about the drive, traffic, road closures, etc. And the Autotrain tends to have fewer hassles than flying. Plus, you would have your car with you so you wouldn't have to rent one.

Flying can be a hassle, especially if there are delays. But for the same amount of money, I'd definitely drive rather than spend 16 hours on the road each way.

but the idea of getting to WDW in less than 2 hours

You must live in the terminal and be within a 30 minute flight of WDW to pull this off...

JMO.. For us, its a 17 hour drive or around 7-8 hours of total travel time if we fly, the extra 10 hours spent in the car is well worth it to be able to set our own schedule, bring what we want and have our own car to take to and from the parks..

I prefer to drive but for us it is cheaper to drive. I am also not a fan of flying. I like the less pressure of leaving when we want and packing what we want without the airport hassles of security, rough with four children.

I really like having my own car but I arriving door to door in 7 -8 hours is nice too. The drive door to door is 18-20 hours, and the children are great!

It really is a matter of choice.

Family of 5 cost to drive is half and thats just for flight. Not rental car for 12 days. We have made the ride to Hilton Head SC so WDW is only 5 more hours. I drive all night kids sleep. And we have had no problems on 3 trips to HHI. So we will be on the road this year from New Jersey. 1100 mile down. If I found cheap air I would fly but with the 5 of us it starts to add up.

Its about a 17 hour drive for us and I wouldn't even consider it.

Drive vs Fly? There's no question in mine or DH's mind.

There's not enough of a hassle out there with flying that we would ever consider driving.

Did I mention we would never drive? ;)

After weeks of going back and forth with the pros and cons, we have finally come to the decision of FLYING!!! I agree with one of the PP who said it will be more like 7 to 8 hours with flying, til we check in etc, but I am sooo happy to be flying!!!
We have taken the auto train on several prior trips, but I just cannot sleep on that thing with the clickety clack and the turning and braking noises!
Thanks to all for your input!!!

jonS99: That's less than 2 hours "IN THE AIR" vs 16 "ON THE ROAD".
Here's the reality of it--we leave our house at the same time--fly or drive--which is 4:00 AM. Our flight leaves at 7:00 AM . Flying, we are landing at Orlando just before 9:00 and by the time we get our bags, get the rental car, etc we're checking in at OKW before 10:30. At that very same 10:30 driving, we're still somewhere in North Carolina------. And flying means two LESS days we have to take vacation, as we're no longer willing to drive 16 hours w/o stopping overnight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter