• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To do or not to do "Hoop-De-Doo"

Topo Bella

Mouseketeer
Getting ready to book ADR's for my November trip and I am on the fence about Hoop De Doo. I think that my husband and I will love it (being lovers of all things Disney), but my sister and her husband are coming with us and they are younger and less likely to find the old-fashioned humor amusing. We are using 2 meal credits from the dining plan to go, so goodness knows I will get some "lip" (in a nice way) from baby sister if she feels like it isn't worth it.

Also, we will be a party of 9. Do they have tables that will accomodate larger parties near the stage?

Any help will be appreciated.:cool2:

Well, personally I wouldn't want to have to deal with the repercussions of a petulant baby sister. You know her best--maybe you should go.

But, HDD is not really an "age" thing. People of all ages love it and people of all ages hate it. It's really a personality thing. I don't think anyone here is going to be able to guide you on this.

The one good think I can say is that they are GREAT with dealing with large parties. You will all get one table and you can be close to the stage if you call early enough.

Well, personally I wouldn't want to have to deal with the repercussions of a petulant baby sister. You know her best--maybe you should go.

But, HDD is not really an "age" thing. People of all ages love it and people of all ages hate it. It's really a personality thing. I don't think anyone here is going to be able to guide you on this.

The one good think I can say is that they are GREAT with dealing with large parties. You will all get one table and you can be close to the stage if you call early enough.

Petulant... definately, but what can you do, she's the baby of the family:) . I was thinking that this was sort of an "ageless" thing, too. But one of the guide books I have mentioned that older teenagers didn't really enjoy it.

Ok, first of all...let me suggest some things to you. You may want to consider just paying for the hoop-dee-do out of pocket because using two TS credits is worth a lot more than the actually HDD itself. Plus, if you book through the DDP you can only get a level 2 or 3, which is not close to the stage. If you want to be close to the stage you have to book a level one, if it is available.

The HDD is for everyone and isnt necessarily old time humor. There are a lot of things that are humorous for young and old. I dont think your sister would be upset if you took her but if you are skeptical about it leave it up to her and you guys just go! I love the HDD and we dont do it every time we go to WDW but we go about every other time! It is a disney production but really isnt "disneyed" out if you know what I mean!

They do have tables that house 6-8 but for 9 people they may put you at two tables next to each other, but I have seen them set the party at a long table upstairs, but you may want to discuss that with the CM when you call because if you want to be close to the stage you may decide to split it up, or if your sis doesnt go...problem solved! :o)

Gina

here is a clip from www.allearsnet.com

Category 1 Adults (10 and up) $58.99 including tax and gratuity
Children (3-9) $29.99 including tax and gratuity
Infants (0-2) No charge

Category 2 Adults (10 and up) $54.99 including tax and gratuity
Children (3-9) $26.99 including tax and gratuity
Infants (0-2) No charge

Category 3 Adults (10 and up) $50.99 including tax and gratuity
Children (3-9) $25.99 including tax and gratuity
Infants (0-2) No charge

Category 1 will allow you and your party to be seated on the first floor level with your table nearest the stage and in the middle of all the action and excitement.

Category 2 offers either a great table on the first floor behind the Category 1 seating below the balcony or in the center of the balcony on the 2nd floor. Either way, you're still facing the stage so you can get a wonderful view of the entire performance.

Category 3 offers tables that are located on the right hand side or left hand side of the balcony on the 2nd floor. You won't miss a moment of the fun and excitement as you enjoy the panoramic view of the entire stage production.

Disney Dining Plan: The Dining Plan can be used for the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue, for Categories 2 and 3 seating only. TWO table service credits will be deducted for these shows

***Keep in mind the DDP is $38.99 per day per adult so if you average that...minus the snack and CS meal it would be close...but again...if you want level one, you cant do it with DDP!! Plus, with one TS you get an appet/entree/dessert/non-alc drink... if you choose the right restaurant, you are talking about $30-$50pp (i.e. Chefs de France at EPCOT). Just a thought!

Gina

Petulant... definately, but what can you do, she's the baby of the family:) . I was thinking that this was sort of an "ageless" thing, too. But one of the guide books I have mentioned that older teenagers didn't really enjoy it.

How old is she??

I first took my daughter when she was 6 and then again at age 10. She loved it. When I booked my 2005 trip, she was 13 and, frankly, I had "Hoop Dee Doo'ed" one too many times and I didn't book a reservation. My DD was very disappointed. So, we went this past trip (she is 15, almost 16). She STILL loves that show. But I know a lot of it has to do with memories.

How old is she??

I first took my daughter when she was 6 and then again at age 10. She loved it. When I booked my 2005 trip, she was 13 and, frankly, I had "Hoop Dee Doo'ed" one too many times and I didn't book a reservation. My DD was very disappointed. So, we went this past trip (she is 15, almost 16). She STILL loves that show. But I know a lot of it has to do with memories.

Baby sister is 23 ... but forever 6 years old in my mind. She's left the decision on this to me, but having never gone myself, I really wanted input. My kids are 9, 7 and 3 and I imagine will love it. I like the idea of not using the DDP for the tickets.

I think she will love it... i went when i was 29 and loved it.. Im not one to laugh at jokes or lets say... im not a seifeld fan..kinda a strict sense of humor and I found this humerous.. I loved it.

We LOVE the Hoop-dee-doo! We went for Christmas 2005, in Feb 2006 and we went in Feb and contemplating going again in September.

In 2005 we took 14 people, ages 1 year to 74. We had a 19 year old, a 29 year old, a 26 year old, twin 2 year olds... Oh and grandma & grandpa- 69 & 74. Everyone LOVED it. My boys loved it then and they still love it now at 5 1/2 & 3. Its just a good, fun time.

We went once and while I'm glad we did I don't plan on going again. The show was ok and the food was just so-so. But like I said, we'd heard so much about it I'm glad we went.

A previous poster commented that you won't be seated near the stage if using the DDP but we used the dining plan and were in the second row. We also made our reservations VERY early. I doubt you'll get this cose making reservations now for November.

I agree-don't waste 2 credits-just pay out of pocket.

Until last year it was all one price and the DDP was just in the mix with everybody. But they changed the rules to favor the cash payers. That's okay, they're all good seats. I just wonder if it's half full, will they move everybody in or have 4 tables in the front, the tables in the back and the balcony full?

okay, I LOVE all Disney, except I"m not crazy about this show! I thought the first time I went it was because I wasn't feeling the best. After the second time, I realized its just not for me....

Since it it 2 TS, I'm not even suggesting it to DH, who is letting me pick all our ADRs.....

I'm not sure how old your baby sis is, but me and dh went and had a great time. We were 23 and 25 at the time. I thought the show was fun and the food was good. Now that they have the tiered pricing, I probably won't go again, that bothers me for some reason, or if I did go I'd pay oop. They can accomodate large groups. There was a party of 8 from NJ when me and dh were there. They were very rowdy and the actors had a lot of fun with them.

As you have probably guessed by now - no matter what question you ask about whatever place - some people are going to tell you its something not to be missed, while others will tell you not to waste your time. Last November our group of 10 (ranging in age from 2 to 80) went and enjoyed every minute...so much so that when we all return this November its on our list for the first night we're there.

I never in a million years thought I'd like it. I thought it would be corny and boring.
Boy, was I wrong. It was a blast, and one of the high points of our Oct. 2001 trip.

Obviously, Oct. 2001 was just after 9/11, so it was also a very strange trip. We showed up for HDD, and there were 23 people. Total.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter