to buy or not to buy$$$

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by scojos, Feb 25, 2013.

  1. scojos

    scojos <font color=peach>I want to be Tinkerbell and fly

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    Messages:
    2,877
    im no expert ok, but all over the news id explaining out £ is dropping against the $$... fairfx are still offering 1.48 which seems pretty decent to me so should i buy today and hope for the best? will be changing £1500 so if it drops im losing nearly $400....

    what do the experts think??

    Tracy
     
  2. Avatar

    Google AdSense Guest Advertisement


    to hide this advert.
  3. wayneg

    wayneg Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Messages:
    23,345
    I would like to think all the bad news has now been factored into todays rate, hope for a small rise before we go in April but no-one can know.

    Its just about unchanged today, the fall has happened over the past week as they knew the downgrade was coming. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/12/intraday.stm

    What was the rate? $1.60? (I get the interbank rate so don't follow the tourist rate)
    £1500 @ $1.60 = $2,400
    £1500 @ $1.48 = $2,220
    $180 less than you could have got(if it was $1.60), not sure where your $400 is coming into it. To lose $400 it would have to drop to $1.33 from $1.60, I hope we are not heading down to those rates again.
     
  4. OhanaSam

    OhanaSam Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    Messages:
    284
    On Travelex it went up slightly yesterday then today it went down quite a bit, so I'm thinking it's pretty unpredictable at the minute :confused3
     
  5. wayneg

    wayneg Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Messages:
    23,345
    Not sure why Travelex went up yesterday. The interbank rate as far as I know does not alter from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday, the tourist rate uses the interbank rate to set their levels so there should be no change Sat or Sun.
    You can see the BBC chart, line down the middle indicating the Friday night close and Monday morning start. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/12/intraday.stm
     
  6. darthtatty

    darthtatty Been There, Done That, Going Back!

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2008
    Messages:
    3,013
    Ive noticed the rates have been changing over the the weekend, even though they usually dont.
    Going on Holiday in 3 weeks and still not bought any OZ $
    Been keeping an eye on the US $ rate too. ;)
     
  7. scojos

    scojos <font color=peach>I want to be Tinkerbell and fly

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    Messages:
    2,877

    i saw on line it was predicting a drop to 1.30-1.35 hence i calculated on that and yes, i have to figure worst case scenario to convince hubby (come on wayne, only thing tighter than a yorkshire man is a french man :rotfl2:

    and $200 is alot of ice creams lol!!! trying to work out how much we need to as on ddp and cant see us doing much shopping this time (kids are too old to be dragged around stores now!) so only be what we pick up on site iyswim... last time we paid oop for v and a and have no major expenses going on this year except a bday for hubby..... getting more confused here lol!!!
     
  8. 2Tiggies

    2Tiggies <font color=blue>I am subscribing to this thread j

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    Messages:
    19,644
    If you're pre-buying and you are worried, buy now. There is always a risk it will get better before you go - but then there is the chance it will get worse. These forecasts change like the wind and it's impossible to predict the unpredictable.

    Since you are prone to stressing (I remember your 2010 stress about the £/$ when it was below 1.50) you're probably better off just buying what you can now, maybe risk half now and half later and accept that no matter what happens, you made the best decision you could at the time and don't beat yourself up over it if the rate hits a rise before your trip
     
  9. scojos

    scojos <font color=peach>I want to be Tinkerbell and fly

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    Messages:
    2,877
    me, stress... no :rotfl2: (the issue you remember isnt the exchange rate but wdw holding the entire contents of my fairfx card as a guarantee and leaving us cash less whilst over there!!!... but good memory lmao!! and yes, i ll buy them tomorrow you re right, one less thing to stress about and then i ll never look at exchange rate ever again!!
     
  10. 2Tiggies

    2Tiggies <font color=blue>I am subscribing to this thread j

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    Messages:
    19,644
    Actually my memory is better than you are giving me credit for lol. You did stress about the exchange rate and then you bought and it went up a couple of days later and hit 1.50 for the first time in MONTHS ;)

    It's just not worth the stress to worry about it longer than you need to. Hope the rate at least holds well or goes up tomorrow for you :goodvibes
     
  11. scoobydooby

    scoobydooby Dreaming of next Disney trip

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2007
    Messages:
    1,978
    Everyone chant together. Go up. Go up. Go up............... ;)
     
  12. darthtatty

    darthtatty Been There, Done That, Going Back!

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2008
    Messages:
    3,013
    GO Up GO Up GO Up :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

    DOing this for the OZ $ rate too :rotfl2:
     
  13. fairytale

    fairytale DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2004
    Messages:
    1,031
  14. wayneg

    wayneg Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Messages:
    23,345
  15. wayneg

    wayneg Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Messages:
    23,345
    Spoke too soon its lost this mornings gains in the last few mins:rotfl2:
     
  16. 2Tiggies

    2Tiggies <font color=blue>I am subscribing to this thread j

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    Messages:
    19,644
    Wayne!! What have you done?!!??! Let this be a lesson to us all ..... SHHHHHHH! :rotfl:
     
  17. wayneg

    wayneg Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Messages:
    23,345
    Maybe I should lock all threads about exchange rates.:rotfl:
     
  18. 2Tiggies

    2Tiggies <font color=blue>I am subscribing to this thread j

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    Messages:
    19,644
    Well ..... desperate times call for desperate measures ...... :rotfl2:
     
  19. Clare D

    Clare D Minnie Mania

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2005
    Messages:
    1,376
    I know the current rate isn't the best and the downgrading of the UK to an AA1 rating doesn't help but at least when you are over there food stuffs, petrol etc are cheaper than the UK so this can hopefully ease the pain.

    In the meantime ....... GO UP, GO UP, GO UP!!!! :rotfl:
     
  20. T16GEM

    T16GEM <font color=blue>I must have a funnel cake when I'

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2003
    Messages:
    6,486
    I've had so many people send me messages over the last few days saying that we should buy our currency - we don't actually tend to change any money as we use our credit card for virtually everything while we are there......but if we did change money I don't think I would bother now anyway there's always the chance it could go up, but then I am a bit of a risk taker! :)

    I'm glad I paid off my cruise on NYE at 1.63 :thumbsup2

    Keep chanting everyone!
     
  21. wildwood

    wildwood DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2005
    Messages:
    716
    Up up up up up up up pleasssssssse
     

Share This Page