To Buy or Not Buy a Used Car

DisneyJana

Earning My Ears
Ok my budget minded friends... Help me out with this one please

We currently have a 2006 Camry that is paid for. My concern is that it does not have side airbags for my kids.....

We could sell it outright- to a friend and then pay a few thousand dollars to get a used Honda Pilot- that does have side airbags...

All of this would be cash-- No debt or financing...
Do you think it is stupid to be putting money in a car right now when the economy is so bad? SHould I not worry about the airbags and just save my money!

Thanks for any advice

Ok my budget minded friends... Help me out with this one please

We currently have a 2006 Camry that is paid for. My concern is that it does not have side airbags for my kids.....

We could sell it outright- to a friend and then pay a few thousand dollars to get a used Honda Pilot- that does have side airbags...

All of this would be cash-- No debt or financing...
Do you think it is stupid to be putting money in a car right now when the economy is so bad? SHould I not worry about the airbags and just save my money!

Thanks for any advice

I think you're crazy to sell a perfectly good two year old camry.

I'd do some research on how many lives are saved per year because of side impact air bags.

The statistics for children saved using car seats is around 480 (work cited: Freakonomics). Considering there are nearly, what, 200 million cars on the road, the non-politically correct argument says that car seats are statistically useless.

I'm not sure that side impact air bags are anything more than a clever marketing scheme.

A well designed car and a careful driver are probably the most important factors to consider.

And the honda pilot's gas mileage is not as good as the camry's.

I think you're crazy to sell a perfectly good two year old camry.

I'd do some research on how many lives are saved per year because of side impact air bags.

The statistics for children saved using car seats is around 480 (work cited: Freakonomics). Considering there are nearly, what, 200 million cars on the road, the non-politically correct argument says that car seats are statistically useless.

I'm not sure that side impact air bags are anything more than a clever marketing scheme.

A well designed car and a careful driver are probably the most important factors to consider.

And the honda pilot's gas mileage is not as good as the camry's.

I know somebody whose life was saved after being hit in the side in a very bad accident about a week after purchasing their car with the side airbags, so I don't personally think that they're a scheme. JMHO :flower3:

On the other hand, I wouldn't trade a car that was paid for and in great shape just to get the side airbags.

I'm in the middle of buying a car right now, and the side air curtains was high on my list (not mandatory, but very high). The car I'm getting does have them, and I'm glad of that. If I were you, I might just keep it in mind for the future. :goodvibes

I am not going to say to get side airbags or not, but I will caution you on purchasing a used car. There are some dealships that aren't paying off the loan on the car therefore when you purchase the used car, within months you are finding out that you are responsible for that loan since the dealer didn't pay if off. Be very careful where you purchase a used car from.

I am not going to say to get side airbags or not, but I will caution you on purchasing a used car. There are some dealships that aren't paying off the loan on the car therefore when you purchase the used car, within months you are finding out that you are responsible for that loan since the dealer didn't pay if off. Be very careful where you purchase a used car from.

I have heard the same thing. That said.... keep your car. There is no way I would do this right now. Not to mention you will get better gas mileage in your car.

None of our cars have side airbags, so it's not an issue to me. Your question is how important it is you. As a financial decision, it makes no sense whatsoever. I Camry is a great care. My DH drives a 1995 Camry, and our mechanic says it's only about half-way through its useful life!

I've looked at the Fits.... too small for me. I drive an Accord... used to drive a Scion xB. I feel much more comfortable in the Accord. Keep the Toyota!!!!

Either way, make sure you get a Carfax report on the used car if/when you are looking to purchase.

I think it also depends on how much you drive with your kids in the car. Also, if you do more in town driving or more highway driving.

I wouldn't sell a 2 year old car, especially a Camry!

We currently looking to buy a used car for our DD. I was looking at the Ford Focus as I have a budget.

The dealerships are terrible, one lie after another. :sad2:

We currently looking to buy a used car for our DD. I was looking at the Ford Focus as I have a budget.

We've had good luck with our local CarMax. We found their service plan to be worth it, also.

My husband has been in the car business for years. He actually owns a dealership and he deals with customers every day because he runs the sales department. He always says that customers (not all) lie more than the salespeople. I guess it goes both ways.

Oops I forgot to add my opinion on the buy or not to buy. We personally drive a Chevy Suburban because we have 4 kids in car seats and were worried about the kids safety in a smaller vehicle. But that is just us. What ever makes you feel better.

If buying a vehicle with side airbags makes you feel better then I would do it. Look carefully at the used vehicle. I dont know about Hondas specifically but most Fords and GM products have certified used cars that carry a powertrain warranty beyond the std one. If youre looking to buy now is the time because the dealers are despirate. The best way to do it is sell your to your friend and go to the dealership and start the talking. Resale values are in the basement right now. For example we bought a Ford Freestar Limited mini vn 2 yrs old low mileage off lease. Sticker in the dash was in the mid 30s and we got it in the mid 14s. Thats how bad resale values are. It has the front, side and rollover airbags. It does give you a piece of mind having the protection. Good luck!

We have a one year old Camry and the safety rating was very good on it. As for side airbags that's your decision. Either way make sure your kids are in proper fitting good car seats!

The only way I would buy a used car is through Carmax. Or a certified pre owned one with warranty. Done it both ways and it's worked. I don't trust regular car sales guys. Used to date one when I worked at a dealership. I saw his commission sheets. They are all slimy.

I think you're crazy to sell a perfectly good two year old camry
I agree. Sure, side air bags are an extra piece of insurance, but taking on a car payment for the possibility of using this very specific protective measure seems rather pointless. If you NEEDED a new car anyway, I'd say, "Yes, choose something with the side air bags", but those side bags ALONE aren't worth ditching a paid-for car.
I read that book, and while it was entertaining, it was also filled with flaws in logic. There's one in your example:

200 milllion cars are on the road -- but most of those cars aren't equipped with car seats at all, as most of those cars don't carry small children. And many of those cars with car seats weren't in wrecks. So most of these people don't count at all.

If you really want to know how effective car seats are, you'd have to compare the number of children who were in wrecks IN CAR SEATS and the number who were in wrecks WITHOUT CAR SEATS. Kids who have never been in a wreck (probably the majority of all kids) wouldn't count at all.

It's really a personal choice. If you think it would be a better car for you....go for it. Being able to sell you car outright for cash to help pay for it will be good too.

I agree. Sure, side air bags are an extra piece of insurance, but taking on a car payment for the possibility of using this very specific protective measure seems rather pointless. If you NEEDED a new car anyway, I'd say, "Yes, choose something with the side air bags", but those side bags ALONE aren't worth ditching a paid-for car.
I read that book, and while it was entertaining, it was also filled with flaws in logic. There's one in your example:

200 milllion cars are on the road -- but most of those cars aren't equipped with car seats at all, as most of those cars don't carry small children. And many of those cars with car seats weren't in wrecks. So most of these people don't count at all.

If you really want to know how effective car seats are, you'd have to compare the number of children who were in wrecks IN CAR SEATS and the number who were in wrecks WITHOUT CAR SEATS. Kids who have never been in a wreck (probably the majority of all kids) wouldn't count at all.

I agree with what you're saying regarding the suspect logic of some of the arguments in that (very entertaining) book, but what he was saying was that the actual number of children saved by carseats was such a vanishingly small statistic-ie the probability that a car seat would help your child, was so small as to equate it with being unnecessary.

That being said, I *never* let my kids go without car seats and once ended a friendship with someone who thought it was ok to drive my kids in her minivan from school to her house (less than a mile) not being buckled in. I'm aware that the probability was vanishingly small for them to be hurt (and indeed, they were fine), but I don't ever want to be one of the 480.

Sorry for the OT.

FWIW, there was a very bad head on wreck in my town this morning. A 2004 Chevy Cavalier (small sedan) hit a 2005 Volvo XC90 (suv) head on at high speed this morning. The driver of the cavalier was killed, the five occupants of the XC90, including three small children, walked away from the wreck.

It's all about weight-the Volvo weighs more than twice what the cavalier weighs, most of the kinetic energy of the crash was absorbed by the cavalier and its occupant. The cavalier was at fault, btw.

Having been in the car business for over 10 years I would say if you have a two year old Camry I would say keep it. Since it's paid for and in good shape it would not make sense to me to get rid of it just because it does not have side air bags.

Keep in mind that is my opinion. If side airbags are a MUST have in you mind, then I would advise selling it outright as opposed to trading it in. A dealer is just going to try and lowball you on the trade value anyway. If you are going to buy a used car from a dealer, do your homework. It is illegal for a dealer to sell a car that he does not have the title too. When it doubt ask to see the title for the vehicle you are going to purchase. If the dealer balks at that, walk away.

have you looked into having side airbags installed in the camry? i dont know if its even an option, but it would be another suggestion..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter