To Buy 2042 or not to buy 2042

The point chart on the 2042 do give them extra value. I just have to figure out how much in comparison to other later expiration date resorts.

I have BLT and Boardwalk on my shortlist for my next contract.

Animal Kingdom, Riviera, Copper Creek and Boulder Ridge are also in consideration. We will tour them in August and my wife and daughter will let me know their preference.

I think we can all agree that comparing the two, GFV comes out ahead because it still has some residual value in 2042. HOWEVER, from everything I've seen, if you want access to the cheaper point chart, you have to have that as your home resort.

Assuming you buy 150 points at each and use them at their respective home resort (no SAP!) my calculations are about 10 standard studio nights at BWV but only 6 equivalent studio nights at GFV. So if you want to get your extra 4 nights per year, you need more points, which would whittle away your savings between the two, no?

It just so happens that these are the two I'm hesitating between and trying to figure out the best path forward. I'm leaning toward a mix of both to balance things out. Clearly not the only one having this (internal) debate so sounds like there really isn't a clear answer other than do what works best for you & will make you happy. :cloud9:

All I know is sometimes reading the comments makes things clear as day, and other times, I walk away more confused than ever 🆘
We toured VGF in January - and it just does not have the appeal for us.
We much prefer being closer to EPCOT.
Walking to EPCOT & DHS gets HUGE bonus points for us.
SO - I did bid on BWV a couple weeks ago, while staying at SSR.(2042 Values Be Darned - - We'll be 84 & 83 then)
I bid $110/PP on a loaded contract, and I just got the email this evening, telling me it passed ROFR !!
It took less than 2 weeks, (8-Business Days, because of Pres.Day Holiday) o_O
I really am pleased and shocked at the same time. I'm penciling in all the details so that I can post a string on the ROFR thread, and start my table on the Closing Time thread.
OMG - I really do have an incurable case of ADD-on-itis:earboy2:

Let's say BWV for $110 a point for 25 points ($2750). VGF for $180 a point for 25 points ($4,500). It is $1,000 cheaper to go with VGF for double the length of time.
I'm 65 so I don't care about the length of the contract. But if anyone notices a small point contract at BWV for $110 ;) please PM me, I need some more points! As for crossing over at 7 months, I had to walk my Jan 2024 2 bed reservation at 11 months. Don't delude yourself, if you want to stay at BW, buy at BW.

You had to walk at 11 months? I just closed on 2 BW contracts for the sole purpose of securing 2 bedrooms in February/April or June. This is discouraging.

All of the 2brs at BWV are lock offs, so studio demand can make them unavailable. Your desired times aren’t peak, though so you should get something.

Such a challenge! It’s just crazy to think you can’t get what you need at 11 months! This is definitely a buy where you want to stay situation.

You had to walk at 11 months? I just closed on 2 BW contracts for the sole purpose of securing 2 bedrooms in February/April or June. This is discouraging.
Also, I think AdamsMum is talking about the standard view units, not the garden/pool units. But I could be wrong.

We admittedly have very similar thinking going into our first purchase of DVC. We loved the Wilderness Lodge, and really wanted to own at BRV, especially as studios sleep 5 (because when we first bought in, our plan was enough points for 2 weeks in a studio or 5-7 nights in a 2BR per year, and that was it!). We wanted the extra sleeping surface so that our 2 kids didn't need to share a bed. And we said it was okay if our DVC was expiring a few years into when we hoped to retire. We thought we'd just enjoy those few years, but would be fine with doing something else in retirement.

Now, of course, if and when retirement comes around, maybe we'll change our minds again. But after a few years of really enjoying DVC, addonitis got us. We added on AKV (our second favorite) and then SSR for some SAP points at the 7 month mark (and to snag Treehouse Villas at peak times). But we also realized that we would not be happy not staying at the Wilderness Lodge during our retirement, so during the crazy sales of 2020, we added onto CCV. We really enjoy going during the holidays especially, so owning was important to help ensure that we could get the WL during Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons.

Not saying you'll follow a similar path, but we told ourselves we'd be fine with doing something else, only to realize we hadn't been honest with ourselves, lol. We are still glad we own at BRV, don't get me wrong, and probably won't sell it before it expires.

But, now, if we DO sell before/during retirement -- if in 20 years we decide we do want to do other things - now we have a number of contracts that hopefully will have value that we can either sell to fund those plans -- or pass down to our children, should they want them.

What about BW view units?
Same. Certain times of year need to be walked. There are only 21 possible 2br in the Boardwalk View, if the studios get taken first, and they do, you're out.

I mainly book 2br and only std or bw views and even walking it's been a struggle for at least the past ten years (basically whenever online booking started, which i can't remember when that was).

A few thinks to consider about BWV.

First, there is construction scheduled for later this year and into 2024. This is wreaking havoc on normal booking patterns.

Second, the standard view and Boardwalk view studios are tough to get even at 11 months.

Third, because all BWV 2-bedrooms are lock-offs, these are equally hard to get at 11 months.

Last edited:
Yes I did. For a month I kept checking. My first day was always gone. Finally got my first day about a week before I needed it and walked it forward to Jan 13 when I really wanted to start my week. Never had to walk a reservation before because I'm a planner and I'm always on there 11 months out. It might still be people using covid saved points, and also theres the refurb, but I was hoping that would be done by then.
ETA - it was a Boardwalk View 2 bed, the standard seemed to evaporate, I don't know how they could all be gone at 8 a.m. 11 months out.

What about BW view units?
BW and standard view are hard to get even at 11 months but at least you have a chance to get them if you own there. If you don't own there don't even think about it lol.

Edit: took a peek at BWV availability just now, the 1BR standards and BWV look pretty easy to book at 11 months as well as the grand villa, the studios and 2BRs look like there's hardly anything left.

Last edited:
BW and standard view are hard to get even at 11 months but at least you have a chance to get them if you own there. If you don't own there don't even think about it lol.

Edit: took a peek at BWV availability just now, the 1BR standards and BWV look pretty easy to book at 11 months as well as the grand villa, the studios and 2BRs look like there's hardly anything left.
This really depends on the time of year and the type of unit.

Standard view studios, this is usually true. Not during the summer months though. You still won't find them at 7 months, but you will likely find them at 10 months.

Standard view 1-bedrooms, during a large portion of the year, can be found at 7 months pretty easily.

This really depends on the time of year and the type of unit.

Standard view studios, this is usually true. Not during the summer months though. You still won't find them at 7 months, but you will likely find them at 10 months.

Standard view 1-bedrooms, during a large portion of the year, can be found at 7 months pretty easily.
Yeah like I said in the edit the 1BR standards seem pretty easy to get, not surprising everything is getting booked right now with the marathons and etc in January. Also not surprised home booking is easier during the hotter/more expensive months lol. Still pretty crazy they're gone at 10 months.

Partially true, partially a fallacy.
It's like saying, "dollars go a lot further at Motel 6 compared to Grand Floridian!"

It's not exactly that points go further, it's just that the resort is cheaper. For $50, you can get 1 real steak at a steakhouse, or you can get 25 hamburgers at McDonalds. So does $50 go further at McDonalds than at a steakhouse?

Add in the fact that, you can use your points across resorts at 7 months. So if you want your GFV points to "go as far" as BWV points, you can just use them at BWV, subject to 7 month availability.
Wow this is extremely subjective. To us, the Boardwalk is a gorgeous resort and the “real steak” in this scenario. We are thrilled that we get to stay for 2 weeks at BWV and we like never trade that for a week at VGF.

Wow this is extremely subjective. To us, the Boardwalk is a gorgeous resort and the “real steak” in this scenario. We are thrilled that we get to stay for 2 weeks at BWV and we like never trade that for a week at VGF.

Exactly. It's all subjective. There are people who prefer McDonald's to a steakhouse, though that would be a small minority.

An even better example would be caviar versus guacamole as a topping on a cracker.

There are lots of people who subjectively prefer guac over caviar. But does that mean your money goes further in buying guac? They just aren't the same product.
If you hate caviar and love guac, then you save money AND get what you want by purchasing the guac.
But if you really want caviar, then guac isn't a substitute merely because it's cheaper.

There are people who prefer McDonald's to a steakhouse,
I think the objection is not that some people might find McDonalds a better value, but rather with your characterization of BWV:GFV :: McDonalds:Shulas.

I can sort of see AllStars:GFV :: McDs:Shulas. I'd say BWV:GFV is more like BOATHOUSE:Topolinos. Definitely a difference, but not quite so stark as the one you've chosen.

(Unfortunately, I can't use the restaurants at the two locations, because I'm not sure how I'd rank Flying Fish vs. say, Citricos)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter