To bring the double stroller or not?

BensWife

DIS Veteran
We will be going to WDW in June. When we go, we will have a 6 year old and 3 year old. My 6yo is at the age when you think, "Does he REALLY need the stroller?" I'm really not sure if he will need one since he is a good walker. My 3yo will definitely need a stroller. We have a nice double stroller - nicer than the ones that we can rent. It is lightweight (well, as lightweight as a double stroller can be), and it is much more comfortable for the kids. However, I just don't know about dragging it around at the airport or even having to lug it with us all the time when I'm not sure our 6yo will even need it. Any thoughts?

If you have a nice single that can hold both at seperate times I would go with that. If the 6 yr old needs a break you could always let him have a chance while the 3 yr old walks a bit.

It doesn't say how long your trip is and if you are planning breaks in the day etc. You might want to consider that as well...we are staying at the Boardwalk and I like to walk to DHS and EP, it is a longer walk for littler legs...

I will be there in 2 days with my 2 girls 2 and 5, I am renting a double stroller. I will be there alone for the first 3 days of my trip.

We have been many times and I have no doubt that my oldest daughter can do all of the walking...I just don't want to have to carry her :)

So I rent a double...just in case, for her...and it gives me a place to store our stuff.

With my son (who is 7 now) when I was concerned, we had a stroller with a "foot board" attached to the back so he had a place to rest...this was when he was newly 6.

This will be her last stroller trip...she would also be the first one asleep in the stroller after fireworks.

Have a great trip!!

Was just about to post a similar question. Coming to WDW in a few weeks with my 4yo and 1yo.

We have rented a city mini double from abbf.com. But looking at the schedule I've put together- park hopping, getting on and off busses- I'm not sure the double will be that easy to quickly fold up and get on and off the transportation

Last year we brought 2 lightweight umbrella strollers with us from home as we knew we'd have to split up a lot so I could nurse and change diapers for my then 5 month old. We won't have to do that as much this year, but wondering if it would still be beneficial to have 2 smaller stroller rather than a large double.

Wondering if we should do that again as they are lighter and presumably easier/quicker to fold than the double. I've never owned a double so we would be learning the ropes on this trip.

I keep going back and forth as soon as I convince myself of my "final" decision :)

Was just about to post a similar question. Coming to WDW in a few weeks with my 4yo and 1yo.

We have rented a city mini double from abbf.com. But looking at the schedule I've put together- park hopping, getting on and off busses- I'm not sure the double will be that easy to quickly fold up and get on and off the transportation

Last year we brought 2 lightweight umbrella strollers with us from home as we knew we'd have to split up a lot so I could nurse and change diapers for my then 5 month old. We won't have to do that as much this year, but wondering if it would still be beneficial to have 2 smaller stroller rather than a large double.

Wondering if we should do that again as they are lighter and presumably easier/quicker to fold than the double. I've never owned a double so we would be learning the ropes on this trip.

I keep going back and forth as soon as I convince myself of my "final" decision :)

That stroller folds like a dream. It folds in half the time as my double maclaren. There are many examples on you tube of this stroller. Look them up and give yourself some relief. I would much rather have my kids in this stroller than umbrellas, pushes great, full reclines, full canopies.

Op, not knowing what type of double you have it is difficult to offer an opinion. Would you mnd sharing because that does make a difference in the answer.

I just got back last night from a trip with a double stroller. My girls are 3 and 5 (turning 6 in 2 weeks). It was definitely worth it. We don't take breaks during the day, and both girls took naps in it. But honestly the biggest benefit was easily maneuvering crowds. We were there for Christmas and New Year's, so we had big crowds. I didn't have to worry about losing a kid, or how long it would take to get somewhere.

twinboysmom said:
That stroller folds like a dream. It folds in half the time as my double maclaren. There are many examples on you tube of this stroller. Look them up and give yourself some relief. I would much rather have my kids in this stroller than umbrellas, pushes great, full reclines, full canopies.

Op, not knowing what type of double you have it is difficult to offer an opinion. Would you mnd sharing because that does make a difference in the answer.

Thanks so much! Will check out some videos. Appreciate the quick feedback. Feeling better about the decision :)

We will be going to WDW in June. When we go, we will have a 6 year old and 3 year old. My 6yo is at the age when you think, "Does he REALLY need the stroller?" I'm really not sure if he will need one since he is a good walker. My 3yo will definitely need a stroller. We have a nice double stroller - nicer than the ones that we can rent. It is lightweight (well, as lightweight as a double stroller can be), and it is much more comfortable for the kids. However, I just don't know about dragging it around at the airport or even having to lug it with us all the time when I'm not sure our 6yo will even need it. Any thoughts?

I posted this in another thread but we just went this past October. Took the single for the 5 year old not thinking the 7 year old would need to sit and ride. They argued who's turn it was and who rode last almost every day. I wished we had brought the double. It just depends on your daily activities I think. We tend to go nonstop in the parks all day so of course they're going to wear out. If we breaked in the day and maybe tried to sneak naps in it may have been easier to keep them energized but we just can't seem to take it slow when we're there!

When in doubt: bring it. I've always said, no matter how active, vital, healthy, energetic your child is at home - Disney is a whole other ballgame. Little legs + heat + 5 miles a day (or more) = more meltdowns. We've always been on the side of caution and brought the stroller and we have never had a single meltdown on any trip because of happy, well-rested children.

When in doubt: bring it. I've always said, no matter how active, vital, healthy, energetic your child is at home - Disney is a whole other ballgame. Little legs + heat + 5 miles a day (or more) = more meltdowns. We've always been on the side of caution and brought the stroller and we have never had a single meltdown on any trip because of happy, well-rested children.

I agree with this. My four year old will mostly walk, but after two days in the parks, she gets tired. Even my eleven year old can be caught sitting in the stroller during parades, and sometimes mommies too!:blush:

Just a tidbit of advice to handle the pp's comment where her older and younger child argued about 'whose turn it was' in the stroller....The way I did it was this - My kids are 18 months apart. Early on I made the family rule 'no stroller at WDW after age 5'. So when ds was 6 and dd was 5 he knew that he no longer got a stroller = no arguing! Of course, since they are so close in age he also knew it wasn't going to be long before it was her turn to be stroller-less too!

So if you decide to just bring a single - I would tell older child that the single if for the 3 year old. You said your 6 year old is a good walker anyway and I can tell you it is a LOT less hassle to just bring a smaller single rather than a huge double around the airport, busses, stores, etc. So I, personally would go for that. And if you plan to visit again anytime soon - it will also set you up nicely for future visits....Since there are a few years between them - you could have a 8 or 9 year old expecting a turn in a stroller! Better to set precedent now, IMO. Makes for much smoother trips.

we have been taking our kids to disney for years and our rule is after 4 no stroller and I have never had an issue with them keeping up. 6 is way too old IMO unless necessary of course

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter