• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To ATL and back:Disney Kids survive Snowpocalypse '11~4 month update

Great update :) What is an A-E ticket? It would have been so hard to turn in that gift card for me but I would have cuz I would have lost my money after that. I put my GC on my room right when we get to the resorts.
Back when Disneyland and Disney World first opened they had tickets more like a country fair does. You could buy a ticket booklet with A tickets, B tickets, C tickets, D tickets and E tickets. An A ticket was less expensive and got you on a smaller or less popular attraction, E tickets were more expensive and got you on a really popular or thrill ride (space mountain or in modern day something like TSM). You didn't have to pay to get into the park, just to ride.
I had the same thought about the gift card. In fact, after that we did loose something and I was SOOO sure we were going to get it back...you'll have to stay tuned to see how that turns out! hehehe!

Joining in. Sounds like you guys had a fun trip.
:welcome: We did have a fun trip (well we did in part one of the trip! ATL was part 2...that was pretty awful! In fact, we just decided to pretend that it was a different trip that we took immediately after our Disney trip)

okie dokie I am still staying tuned :rotfl2: :rolleyes1 :bored:

Haha! You're in luck!! Here's an update! I didn't even see this until I came on here to post my update! I guess great minds think alike!

Sorry for taking so long between updates (although this break was only 2 weeks and not a full month like the last one...that's better right??? :teeth: ) I work at a performing arts school and May and June are PERFORMANCE months!! We've have 4 shows in the space of 1 month and I'm responsible for set, lights and props for all of them! :scared1:

Sorry for the long delay...as I just told akayek31, I work at a performing arts school and in the course of 1 month we have had/are about to have 4 shows and I do the set, lights and props for all of them. All we have left is recital and then I have a break!! But...I decided 2 weeks was long enough to make you all wait for an update! So here it is!

So we dragged ourselves out of bed this day in time to make rope drop at AK…it was hard! We were rather sleep deprived by this point.
DSC02314.jpg

The boys were pretty good about getting up this morning. By this point they “got it” and knew that getting to the park first thing in the morning was important. However, I had a little trouble getting up. This day was only a 0.9 on the TP crowd calendar so RD wasn’t that important for touring. But I was scared that we would regret it if we missed out on low crowds. Looking back, we really should have slept in. The park was less than crowded and we started fading and it really effected our energy level for the rest of the trip. Now, don’t get me wrong, we had a blast! However, I know that we all would have enjoyed it more and would have had more stamina if we had just taken a day to catch up on sleep. Ah well, add it to “Lessons Learned” and we’ll make sure to have a sleep-in day for the next trip if needed.

Anyway, it was kinda rainy this morning, not dumping, but kinda misty all day. It was wet enough that I took off my socks and just wore my crocs (I know…I’m one of those people who wears socks with crocs…it’s just more comfortable! I really only wear crocs at Disney though and by that point it’s about comfort and not fashion!)
Anyway….

So we got to the park, missed the “opening show” even though we were there in time…don’t know why, maybe they didn’t do it cause of the rain? But that was a little disappointing especially since that was one of the main reasons we were aiming for RD.
DSC02316.jpg

As we headed in, first on my list was Primeval Whirl, Andrew was not into this idea so he went for Kilamanjaro Safari FPs while we headed to the ride.
We stopped at the Tree of Life for a photo. I really love this photo cause it’s just me and my siblings. I think these were the only ones we got of just the 4 of us.
DSC02318.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

On our way thru the empty park (no kidding…there were like 10 people there!!!) we ran into Tigger and Eeyore. No one was there so we stopped to visit.
DSC02320.jpg

DSC02321.jpg

DSC02322.jpg

DSC02323.jpg

The empty park was really kinda cool. We felt like we were the only ones there. I was a little frustrated cause I realized at that point that we really could have slept in with NO touring penalty. But I decided to just let it go and enjoy the empty park!

We rode Primeval Whirl. It was fine. Pretty much the same as a ride we have here at six flags (used to be Tony Hawk’s Big Spin). Kinda jerky. Since we were the only ones in the park the ride operators asked us if we wanted to ride again…we all were like “um…no thanks!” and got off and headed to Dinosaur (where Andrew was meeting us).

I took some atmosphere photos while we walked.
DSC02324.jpg

Now, this was the ride I was most excited to show Elliott. He had called me after our AK day on our last trip and I had told him all about this ride.
In fact, that phone call was one of the early indications of our healing relationship. We ended up talking on the phone for over an hour that night and it was also the beginning of planning this trip.
The reason I was so excited about Elliott riding this ride was cause as a kid Elliott LOVED dinosaurs….LOVED them! He knew every dinosaur name, the kind of food they ate, what time period they were from, etc at age 4. So I knew he would love this ride.
While we waited for Andrew to make it over to us Elliott wanted lots of pics with the dinosaur statues.
DSC02326.jpg

DSC02327.jpg

DSC02328.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

DSC02329.jpg

Hey look! Ducks!
DSC02330.jpg

So Andrew ended up deciding not to ride Dinosaur. He remembered feeling a little queasy after the ride last trip and didn’t want to push it on this trip. Elliott and Oliver enjoyed the ride. Avery HATED it. He was terrified the whole time! He said it was “too loud” but really, I think he was just really scared.
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:
DSC02331.jpg

After Dinosaur we slowly wandered over to Kilamanjaro Safaris to use the FPs that Andrew had gotten us.
IMG_0245.jpg

On our way, we passed the Mahara Jungle Trek and decided to walk thru it. We had given up on following the Touring Plans because of how empty the park was. I do have to say, AK is WAAAAAAYYYY more enjoyable in January! I really loved all the atmosphere elements and took a lot of pictures. I really loved it all last trip as well but it was just too hot that day to enjoy it. This time I took my time and really soaked it all in.
IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

^This was my iphone background for months after the trip. In fact, most of the above pics were taken with my iphone 4! I had just gotten it for Christmas and I LOVED how wonderful the pictures were turning out with it! There were several times that I just used the phone for photos instead of my point and shoot.

Up next: Do I get brave and face the Yeti?? Do we make it thru the rest of the day without falling asleep?

Totally missed your last update! I'd wondering about the pool drama, too. That sounds to oscary. I can't believe an adult would scream at someone else's child like that, no matter what had happened. Over a ball? That was insane. :rolleyes:

Glad you did "the right thing" with that gift card. I'm going to hope whoever lost it was able to get it back. That could really mess up a much saved for vacation for someone. :sad1: I've found money on the floor in grocery stores sooo many times. It's so difficult turning it in to customer service desks when I don't know if the true owner will get it back. Not that I'd want it for myself, but knowing someone might be out the few funds they have to feed their family breaks my heart. Years before John and I married, I was shopping for balloons and a cake for his birthday when I dropped some cash in a Publix parking lot. It was literally all I had at the moment and I was out of my mind when I realized it. Thankfully, some kind person didn't decide to pocket it and I got it back. There are good people out there! :thumbsup2

It's tough to decide about sleeping in. Even if the crowds were so low, you never know when it'll go the other way. AK in January is heavenly though, huh? I LOVE the pic of all of you at the entrance. So funny!! The pics of you with your brothers are great, too! Elliott's dinosaur pics were awesome!

We went to AK in 09 the first day and didn't get to ride much. That is how I got the name for the TR from this day lol. We only went back this past February to eat at the Rainforest cafe. I am considering going for the day after seeing your pics. I want to see a tiger that close and I want to ride PW and EE!! Maybe I will get park hoppers and do just that :)

So i just stumble across your TR and am loving it! I totally love all the photos of you and your siblings (and your hubby). You guys take such fun pics and it really looks like you are all having a good time. Although i have to admit, it took me a while to get the names straight!:laughing:

Also have to say - too funny about your brother and his asian girl infatuation. :rotfl: (I'm asian) It's funny because there was a trip i took to Disney with a good friend (who is also asian) and we found it wierd when random guys would ask to take a photo with us. Usually it happened after we would ask someone to take a picture of us with our camera, but wierd anyways. :confused3

Also - I think we were there in may of last year at the same time. I remember it was so hot then and we NEEDED to put in pool time every day. otherwise we basically withered away. I even have a pic in that TR of the temp reading 104! :scared1:

Anyways, loving your TR. You can really tell your enthusiasm in it. :thumbsup2 Can't wait to read all about it and see the progression of character pics.

It's tough to decide about sleeping in. Even if the crowds were so low, you never know when it'll go the other way. AK in January is heavenly though, huh? I LOVE the pic of all of you at the entrance. So funny!! The pics of you with your brothers are great, too! Elliott's dinosaur pics were awesome!
It was beautiful weather everywhere but the other parks have lots of places with A/C so they're manageable in the heat. AK is just so nasty when it's hot!! There's nowhere to escape!! So the difference was just more noticeable I think.

We went to AK in 09 the first day and didn't get to ride much. That is how I got the name for the TR from this day lol. We only went back this past February to eat at the Rainforest cafe. I am considering going for the day after seeing your pics. I want to see a tiger that close and I want to ride PW and EE!! Maybe I will get park hoppers and do just that :)
Yeah! I read thru your TR the other day! It's worth trying AK again. We really enjoy the theme-ing and several of the attractions. We've only really spent a half day there both times. Maybe opening til about 2 or 3.

So i just stumble across your TR and am loving it! I totally love all the photos of you and your siblings (and your hubby). You guys take such fun pics and it really looks like you are all having a good time. Although i have to admit, it took me a while to get the names straight!:laughing:
Don't feel too bad about not being able to keep my brothers straight. It always takes people a while to get their names straight. The trick is that we are in alphabetical order A (April), E (Elliott), O (Oliver) and then back to A (Avery). Maybe that'll help! ;)

Also have to say - too funny about your brother and his asian girl infatuation. :rotfl: (I'm asian) It's funny because there was a trip i took to Disney with a good friend (who is also asian) and we found it wierd when random guys would ask to take a photo with us. Usually it happened after we would ask someone to take a picture of us with our camera, but wierd anyways. :confused3
Haha! That's really odd...though I can totally see Avery doing it!

Also - I think we were there in may of last year at the same time. I remember it was so hot then and we NEEDED to put in pool time every day. otherwise we basically withered away. I even have a pic in that TR of the temp reading 104! :scared1:
I just went to look at your TR to see the dates and we WERE there at the same time...I also realized that I read thru your whole trip report not too long ago! Hahaha!! Nice to see you again! I'm subbed to your "in progress" one now!
Anyways, loving your TR. You can really tell your enthusiasm in it. :thumbsup2 Can't wait to read all about it and see the progression of character pics.
:welcome: (and see responses in BLUE above) :)

First of all, I'm so so sorry for the LONG time since my last update. I don't even have a good excuse...life just got in the way and then I lost my motivation. Also...this was my least favorite day of our Disney days and so I think I just haven't been motivated to continue it. Sorry!! But I'm back now and hopefully I'll be better!

So...we left off with finishing the Mahara Jungle Treck and some theming photos....

A couple more theming photos:
DSC02336.jpg

DSC02335.jpg

DSC02341.jpg

DSC02345.jpg

DSC02342.jpg

Apparently on our walk from the Jungle Treck we stopped by the tree for a photo with all 5 of us and we also stopped to see Flick. (I don’t really remember the order of this but these are the pictures that are up next…whoops…)
DSC02352.jpg

DSC02353.jpg

Bug’s Life was one of the 2 VHS movies that we completely wore out as kids. (I think it was Oliver’s fav along with Lion King) Both of those movies ended up so bad that we couldn’t even hear the dialogue or soundtrack…which was ok cause when you watch them that many times, it’s all memorized anyway…Right? ;)
So it was pretty cool to meet Flick.

Up Next was Kilamanjaro Safari. Of course…I took a million photos and I think I gave Avery my camera cause he had left his camera charger at home and it was dead now. Side note: We got him this camera for Christmas specifically for the Disney trip cause he LOVES photography and I knew he’d want to take lots of pictures…I was a littler perturbed that he left the charger at home. My dad ended up mailing it to our resort (thanks DISboards for the address!!) but the charger wasn’t in yet.

So anyway…the safari: I will spare you and only post a couple of the photos:
DSC02359.jpg

DSC02369.jpg

DSC02363.jpg

I always like the wide open land. I think it’s so cool how this ride goes thru so many different terrains but they still all just flow one to the next.

After KS we decided to go check out Nemo. Andrew and I LOVED this show on our first trip and I was excited for the boys to see it. However, by this time I was starving and pretty cranky so we stopped at the closest food vendor to grab something. They had roasted nuts, which smelled GREAT, but did NOT fill me up. But it was time for Nemo so I sucked it up and just planned to get food after the show.

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Elliott wasn’t really into this show. He didn’t like that they were puppets. I think he was just expecting people in costume. I think it just kinda threw him.

IMG_0269.jpg

I, however, LOVE the puppets. It’s just so cool and SO Disney!

After Nemo we went to grab lunch. We decided to split up as we all wanted different things. Avery and I got some Pizza at Pizzafari and Elliott, Oliver and Andrew got something over in Asia. Avery and I were originally supposed to get our food and then go meet up to eat with the others but after standing in line we were just hungry and decided to eat there.
After eating we met up and debated going to FoTLK. As I said, Lion King was Oliver’s favorite movie growing up. I’m pretty sure we can all still recite the movie from beginning to end. But we were ALL really tired by this point and really all we wanted to do was go take a nap (which should tell you how tired we really were…we are NOT nappers in this family!)

But we weren’t planning on coming back to AK this trip and I wanted the boys to see It’s Tough to be a Bug and Elliott wanted to do a couple of trips up to Everest. So since It’s Tough to be a Bug was on the way to Everest Andrew and I got the boys in line

DSC02380.jpg

and then we went off to explore the trails by the tree. I was tired and fed up with all the family time and was glad to have a few minutes alone with my husband. (Also, I HATE that attraction and have no intention of EVER EVER EVER going on it again. I was practically in tears after the show on our last trip and swore I would NEVER set foot in that theater ever again!) Instead, we just wandered the trails a bit, oogled the tree, and then decided to look thru the gift shop while waiting for the boys to come out.

Once the boys came out we headed off to Everest. Elliott and Oliver took the single rider line and Andrew, Avery and I hung out on that giant rock formation near the entrance. I feel like Avery got a snack while waiting. Elliott and Oliver came back singing Everest’s praises. They convinced Avery to go ride it and I almost did. But by that point I was so tired that I was actually curled up on the rock and probably could have fallen asleep, so I opted out. Oliver decided to hang with Andrew and I as well and Elliott and Avery headed back into the single rider line. Oliver grabbed a Root beer Float (I think) and I psudo napped on my warm and rather comfy rock.

Once the boys were done riding, we headed out of the park. On our way out we stopped by the stroller return area as we heard that they had a pin board. We found a couple of good ones to trade and then hopped on the bus back to ASMu.

Back at the resort, Andrew and I headed immediately into our room, shut the door and were out cold within minutes. Oliver laid down too and took a big of a nap. Elliott went out to smoke and Avery headed to the front desk to pick up his camera charger which was supposed to have arrived by now. When I woke up, Avery had JUST gotten back from his package pick up escapade. I don’t know what ended up happening. He’s pretty shy about asking for things and I have a feeling that he got up there and then didn’t really know where to go or who to ask for his package. Either that or they had trouble finding it. Either way, he spent his entire break at the main hall and didn’t get much rest at all. Elliott also just messed around and didn’t sleep. So those two were pretty done with the day but Oliver, Andrew and I were feeling MUCH better and were ready to head out to finish off our day with Animation Academy, dinner and Fantasmic at DHS!

Up next: Just how cold DOES it get at DHS at night in January?

Yay! You came back! So I am totally scared of spiders and rats so does that mean I need to skip ITTBAB (I think that is the abbreviation lol). I have a day at AK planned for our trip. Not that we will stick to a plan lol. DD and I tend to love DHS and MK and spent three days each at both parks this past Feb. Can't wait to read more!

Yay! You came back! So I am totally scared of spiders and rats so does that mean I need to skip ITTBAB (I think that is the abbreviation lol). I have a day at AK planned for our trip. Not that we will stick to a plan lol. DD and I tend to love DHS and MK and spent three days each at both parks this past Feb. Can't wait to read more!

Glad you are still around! It's been 2 months since I posted! I'm quite embarrassed!

Yeah, no...I'd skip ITTBAB! It's really horrible! I have a spider phobia and then there were spiders dropping from the ceiling, a stinger hits you in the back, there are buzzing noises and crawling feelings under your bottom. It was pretty much the one of the most traumatic things I had ever experienced! I don't remember actually crying...but I was pretty close. By the end of it, I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my legs pulled up off the floor, my eyes squeezed shut, and my hands over my ears. LOL! I was probably a pretty funny sight to see.

Yay! I'm so happy to see you're updating again!

Soooo with you on that bug show. Waayy too icky and scary for me. None of us have any interest in seeing it again. Glad you were able to get a nice rest and hope the rest of this day is great!

We took a “heading out” photo while waiting for the bus to DHS. It’s so nice that they provide those little posts for you to put your camera on and use the timer :thumbsup2
DSC02384.jpg

Once we got to DHS we planned on going to the Animation Academy again but we were so hungry we just found the first food place we saw, got food and sat down to eat. We ended up eating at Rosie’s. The food was fine, I think we all just got burgers. Elliott was really cranky during dinner. I don’t even remember why. I think he was just tired. We ended up just going to Fantasmic after dinner (which was the reason we were there) I think we looked at some ride times but everything was pretty busy and none of us were in the mood to wait in line.

For Fantasmic we found some pretty good seats. We got in towards the end of the line but Andrew managed to just walk down to the front and found us 5 seats all together. It was pretty strange since the theater was pretty full. We had brought along glowsticks and shared them with the kids sitting by us. We love doing that!

DSC02391.jpg

DSC02387.jpg

Look how close we were!! This is MUCH more enjoyable close up. Andrew and I were just not impressed on our first trip. But we were also pretty far back and way over on the side. All we really could see were the water screens...which were cool for the first 5 minutes but they got pretty old! This time we were pretty close to the middle and only about 6-8 rows back. It was WAY better!

DSC02393.jpg

DSC02392.jpg

DSC02396.jpg

I think Steamboat Willie is really cool! I love how he’s in Black and White!

DSC02400.jpg

DSC02398.jpg

After fantasmic we decided it was bed time. We headed out with the hoards and got in line for the bus. We were all really cold but thankfully we had brought our hoodies and coats to the park. We were in line with a family who hadn’t quite planed on the cold. One of their kids was sitting in the stroller just sobbing. My “big sister senses” could tell that it was just an “I’m Miserable” cry. Poor thing. I turned to Andrew and I said something like “poor thing is just cold!” Then my sweet, sweet husband turned to the family and said “Can I give him my coat til the bus comes?” The family accepted graciously and Andrew gave the little kid his coat. The poor kid stopped crying almost immediately and we gave him some glowsticks for good measure. We ended up talking to the family for the rest of the wait, discussing the cold, and where they were from and explaining that we understood where the little guy was coming from since we hadn’t had our coats on our first day. It really made us all feel good to be able to help (especially Andrew).

Once back at the hotel we all got a second wind and everyone ended up in our bedroom goofing off! We laughed and danced and had a lot of fun! Sadly, the photos I took are all rather inappropriate or just embarrassing and so I won’t post them. But, know that we had fun!

We were in bed by 10:45 this evening though and I’m pretty sure we were all OUT within minutes! Good thing cause tomorrow is Rope Drop at Magic Kingdom. Andrew and I were really excited to see it since we had missed it on our last trip.

Up next: “It’s all pure magic, wrapped up in pixie dust” Magic Kingdom Opening Ceremonies

Yay! I'm so happy to see you're updating again!

Soooo with you on that bug show. Waayy too icky and scary for me. None of us have any interest in seeing it again. Glad you were able to get a nice rest and hope the rest of this day is great!

Yay! I'm glad that you're still here! I was kinda afraid that the mods would close my TR since I hadn't updated in so long! I'm gonna try and do better. Today is pretty slow and I'm kinda on a roll...I might even get a few more in. We'll see!

Oh man! I HATE that bug show! The boys didn't think anything of it. They were like "yeah, it was cool." *Shudder* My kids will have to wait til they're old enough to go in there alone cause I will never go in there again. We actually ended up walking thru the theater to go out the other side and I was clinging to Andrew, freaking out that they would close the doors before we got out and I would have to stay in there for the show! We managed to get out in plenty of time though :thumbsup2

Ok spiders from the ceiling, nope that clinched it for me. That is one attraction that I will skip. We have reservations for Brown Derby so I can finally after 4 trips see Fantasmic. I am still debating on if I am going to waste all that money when I can just stand in line (a really really long one :( ) The mods did close mine. I did good a first then after we got to US/IOA I kinda got tired of messing with the photobucket which is why there was no TR for our February trip.

It’s so nice that they provide those little posts for you to put your camera on and use the timer :thumbsup2[/COLOR]

:lmao:

That is sooo my Andrew! I love that you did this. When he has his camera in the parks, I'm forever telling him to stop sitting it on posts/trash cans/etc for self pics! I cannot stop laughing over this!! :lmao: Great shot!

Awesome Fantasmic seats! Your pics are great. I love the B&W Steamboat WIllie! :thumbsup2

What a sweet story with the little one waiting for the bus, too. You should be proud! :thumbsup2

Wow, you guys were really close at Fantasmic! Those were some really great seats. I don't think I've ever gotten that close before.

How sweet of Andrew to give the little one his coat. :goodvibes

Just came across your TR. It's great! Sounds like you had a really good time. :goodvibes
Can't wait for more updates! Btw, I love the picture of Stitch and the boys! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter