To all who take video footage of your Disney trips...

rapunzel21

Nothing of interest
I've Been using a Sony HDR XR150 for several years and has served me well, including footage of night shows and fireworks. I'm looking to upgrade my camcorder and was wondering what some of you use to take videos, day and night. Looking for a HD camcorder with HDMI and stability to minimize erratic motion. I'm open to using memory sticks or internal hard drives but something that can take several hours of HD video. What's your camcorder of choice? I haven't seen many good reviews on the GoPro's, so I'm avoiding those...for now. Thanks in advance!

I will actually be using the upgraded version of your camera, the Sony HDR CX160. We got it 3 years ago when my daughter was born and I've loved it since, this will be our first Disney trip using it but the quality is great! I had to buy 2 extra batteries and a 32gig SD Card to make sure I was set for our week long trip. If the sony has done you well might stick with Sony:)

I'm a GoPro user so my opinion may not be one you want to hear. :) I thought it was a great little camera on our last trip. I was able to use it for point of view perspectives on all of the rides, which the wide angle captured well, as well as on our days at Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. It is small and lightweight. Having said that, it doesn't handle dark environments well, and the lack of LCD (unless you buy the accessory) is also a drawback.

I am going to try a GoPro on my upcoming trip to DL. I'm not much of a videographer though and have no idea how well it will work. I just like it because it's tiny. I will say the GoPro seems to have no kind of stabilization on it, or maybe it's just my lousy video skills. They do capture fast action very well though. I think it'll be good for coasters.

Personally I would scour recent youtube uploads of the types of shooting you want to do and look at the camera they are using when you are impressed with the footage.

I have a Canon Vixia HFM41 that I used this past July and it worked great. I bought it two years ago right before my daughter was born. At that time, it was the best camcorder in the $500 range. If you look up best camcorder under a certain amount of dollars in google, you should find good reviews in your price range.

We just re-watched the entire frozen singalong yesterday which I recorded with the Canon and it really pops off of the screen.

Canon T4i and now a 6D with a Rode Stereo videomic pro (nicely captures the bass from the fireworks). I've found them to have better quality then the handheld camcorders with some trade-offs (autofocus, one touch zoom, etc)

If you get a Canon T5i you'll get autofocus as well with the STM lens.

Bought this late last year, love it, on Amazon:

Samsung HMX-F90 HD Digital Video Camcorder black deluxe bundle with a full size tripod, 16 gb card and a cleaning kit.

Bill From PA

We bought a Sony HDR-CX-430 last Spring. It has optical image stabilization which means that even if it is windy or you aren't holding it perfectly still, the video won't be shaky when you play it back.

My DD has been a performer since she was little and we have taken a lot of videos of her performing as well as taking video at WDW/DL and other places. I am so bummed that we did not have this camera when she was younger. There is an incredible difference between our old Sony and this Sony. The videos are far superior on the new one both indoors and out and in bright or low light. It also has an incredible zoom and does not lose quality with the zoomed footage. It does an amazing job. DH, who is not remotely a professional, took an archive video of a show with it for DD's theatre group and it looks professional. Of course, it was on a tripod and not hand held for that, but he had done that once with our old camera for them and this video is far far superior.

If you look around the internet, I think you will find it gets very good reviews. I think the camera itself holds about 2 hours of video, but it takes memory cards which is what we always use so that we can easily transfer and also keep the memory card with the video on it if it is something special. I know this summer had had about 4 hours of video on one memory card- so you can get whatever size memory card works for you. I can't say enough good things about this camera!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter