TIW or DDP?

SheriB

DIS Veteran
We (myself, DH) are staying at BCV with another couple in May 2017. The other couple may not stay a full 7 days with us(maybe 5), so if they don't, then the DDP would not be a good option (I do wish you could purchase it for a portion of a stay-we often have guests that don't stay the entire time that we do). I've never purchased TIW before, but am considering it, since we do Table Service every night, Counter Service for lunch (usually on the DDP) and we like to order appetizers, as well as adult beverages, which always adds to the cost of the DDP. I know I'll have to do the math, but does anyone else prefer TIW, especially since we usually do appetizers and drinks? I'm pretty confident that it would pay for itself, just looking for opinions.

We (myself, DH) are staying at BCV with another couple in May 2017. The other couple may not stay a full 7 days with us(maybe 5), so if they don't, then the DDP would not be a good option (I do wish you could purchase it for a portion of a stay-we often have guests that don't stay the entire time that we do). I've never purchased TIW before, but am considering it, since we do Table Service every night, Counter Service for lunch (usually on the DDP) and we like to order appetizers, as well as adult beverages, which always adds to the cost of the DDP. I know I'll have to do the math, but does anyone else prefer TIW, especially since we usually do appetizers and drinks? I'm pretty confident that it would pay for itself, just looking for opinions.
based on what you describe...i would go with the TIW option...the drinks do add up with the DDP as well as the tips....to me the TIW is what i call the 'tip card"....so I pretty much know what each meal is going to cost before hand, and it allows for flexibility. You can also use at places like the gurgling suitcase at OKW

The dining plan is rarely a good option when only adults are travelling. I much prefer the TiW since we also order appetizers and my family tends to drink. But I haven't purchased one since the price increase.

Thanks all! I think I will do a spreadsheet. When we do the DDP, we try to pick places that will give us more for our money, and so far it has worked, even with the additional drinks/apps/tips. I love number crunching, so a spreadsheet should give me something to play with.
Thanks again!
Sheri

we do Table Service every night, Counter Service for lunch (usually on the DDP) and we like to order appetizers, as well as adult beverages,

Be sure to check on the counter service places (there are some!) that are included in TIW, to possibly maximize the value of the card.

The quick service for TIW is pretty much limited to the food courts at the value resorts, but we always ask. The way restaurants go in and out of the TIW coverage is a real mystery to me.

.......(snip)........ When we do the DDP, we try to pick places that will give us more for our money, and so far it has worked, even with the additional drinks/apps/tips. ...........Sheri

One of the nice things about the TiW is that you DON'T have to select a restaurant based on where Disney's prices will give you more for your money - or choose your meal based on price. :teeth:

The quick service for TIW is pretty much limited to the food courts at the value resorts, but we always ask. The way restaurants go in and out of the TIW coverage is a real mystery to me.

Those don't feel limited to me. We like the 5 food court choices that that gives us. And don't forget the SSR "food court", Sassagoula (though is that closed right now?), and the CS places at AK park.

(I generally miss one when listing them, which is why I didn't in the first post I made, so the op will want to check the tiw website to make sure I didn't miss one!)

Do tips get added to the cost at the CS locations?

Look at the menus and options as you'd normally use them and compare to the DDP various options, TIW and just using various discounts that don't have additional cost like DVC/AP/Disney VISA/AAA. Obviously the deluxe plan (usually best value) isn't a good option but it might be the basic plan with all 4 with you picking up the extra costs and credits might be worthwhile. You'd need to save a good $250 to make the TIW worthwhile unless you have additional trips you could use it for. You could also entertain a split stay and get the DDP for the portion the other couple isn't there with credits good from check in of that segment to MN the day of checkout of the given segment. But that's a hassle because you might have to change rooms.

Since TIW is a % based discount the more you spend the more you save. DH and I just returned tonight from a 5 night trip for F&W. Even though those kiosks didn't take it we still managed to save $75 on other meals. We had 1 meal at Raglan Road with another couple (with 1 round of drinks) and saved just over $30 on that one meal. We will use the card on 2 more trips in the future as well. Love that it includes alcohol.

I really like the % discount of TIW, plus you can use it for appetizers and alcohol, and the tip is automatically added to the original bill before discount. On the DDP, both my DH and the other hubby aren't really dessert eaters, they usually try to swap a dessert for an appetizer, which works some of the time. I would probably only get one use out of it, because we only go once a year, sometimes every other year. I need to find some time to play with a spreadsheet, pick menu items, etc. On the flip side, I like the DDP because it's somewhat "prepaid" (of course it doesn't include alcohol or tips). Really going to have to play with the 2 options and weigh them both out. I always like to save money and love a challenge, so this will give me something to work on. Thanks everyone for your input!
Sheri

One of the nice things about the TiW is that you DON'T have to select a restaurant based on where Disney's prices will give you more for your money - or choose your meal based on price. :teeth:

This to me is the #1 reason to go with TiW. With that said, we have a split stay coming up in Nov. 2016 during F&W (4 resorts in 4 nights) -- and I'm going to do the dining plan for Sunday night's stay, with the plan to use the TS at Boma on Sunday night and then use the QS meal for three snacks at the food kiosks when we're at Epcot on Monday. Then we'll have 2 additional snack credits and the complimentary refillable mugs. Seeing as dinner at Boma is $50, getting all that extra stuff for an additional $14 is a no brainer for that day. One of the benefits of doing the split stay is being able to only do the DDP on a portion of the trip.

We're also getting the TiW card since we have several other TS reservations, plus we're doing a 6 night stay with family in Feb. 2017 and another 6 night stay in Dec. 2017 with family. Should come out ahead pretty easily.

Since TIW is a % based discount the more you spend the more you save. DH and I just returned tonight from a 5 night trip for F&W. Even though those kiosks didn't take it we still managed to save $75 on other meals. We had 1 meal at Raglan Road with another couple (with 1 round of drinks) and saved just over $30 on that one meal. We will use the card on 2 more trips in the future as well. Love that it includes alcohol.
That's one of the situations were the TIW is often a better choice but I'll point out that it's really not an effective 20% discount since often there are other discounts one would have available and it must be purchase with an increasingly significant up front cost. it will vary but in general it's probably an average of about a 5% effective discount for most where it does make sense.

Tipping has be noted above several times. It's an automatic 18% with both TIW and DDP but there are some nuances. This brings to mind there are some nuances in tipping where this falls outside the reasonable automatic tipping range according to national recommendations. The usual tipping for alcohol is 15% and for a buffet is 10%. Plus with the DDP one would be paying tips on items they might not want but ordered because it was included. OTOH, it does force people to tip "more reasonably overall" that might not do so and will reduce the tip for some as well. Personally I think having it included is reasonable and the 18% overall is also reasonable.

....(snip)....... then use the QS meal for three snacks at the food kiosks when we're at Epcot on Monday. ...........
That would really be a plus for us - if you didn't have to use all three of the snack credits at the same time at the same booth! Have fun at F&W!

That's one of the situations were the TIW is often a better choice but I'll point out that it's really not an effective 20% discount since often there are other discounts one would have available and it must be purchase with an increasingly significant up front cost. it will vary but in general it's probably an average of about a 5% effective discount for most where it does make sense.

Tipping has be noted above several times. It's an automatic 18% with both TIW and DDP but there are some nuances. This brings to mind there are some nuances in tipping where this falls outside the reasonable automatic tipping range according to national recommendations. The usual tipping for alcohol is 15% and for a buffet is 10%. Plus with the DDP one would be paying tips on items they might not want but ordered because it was included. OTOH, it does force people to tip "more reasonably overall" that might not do so and will reduce the tip for some as well. Personally I think having it included is reasonable and the 18% overall is also reasonable.

We debated not getting it again on this trip as we knew we could get 10% off at a lot of places with either AP or DVC discounts....however we also figured in the extra on alcohol with TIW. I would likely not order drinks as often w/o TIW as most mixed drinks are between $10.50 - $13.99 with a rare exception being $9-something. DH would still order his beers (often 2 with dinner) and those can add up quickly too as they're $8-9 each. We saved just over $4 per TS meal minimum and often closer to $6 or $7 on drinks alone which we would not have saved w/o TIW. With 3 trips / year everything adds up. Plus DH loves to swing thru Rose & Crown when at Epcot for his Black & Tans - if he goes inside to the bar to get them (which he has to do to use the TIW) he saves almost $2 each time. Those are guaranteed multiple stops each time we go to Epcot.

We personally like that the tip is automatically added in too - makes getting the check settled & getting out a lot faster. I think in general the servers seem almost relieved to hear we have TIW rather than the DDP because I think they might get stiffed a little on their tips with the DDP (I always mention it at the start of the meal). I am not convinced that everyone tips appropriately when on the DDP?!?! At least with TIW they know they're going to get a fair tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter