TiW discount card....?

AllisonG

<font color=CC66CC>Good thing the TF is multi-ling
Please know I am extremely slow with math so I am having trouble wrapping my brain around this. With the TIW card you get 20% off but then Disney turns around and adds 18% back on? So in all you saved 2%......? Please explain the savings?:confused3

2%... it does add up rather quickly and if you valet at resorts that you dine in, that is also free

The 18% is for the gratuity that most people would pay anyway. It's still a savings of 20% of the total of the food and drinks.

This will soon be removed to the tipping thread but--since you would of course tip 15-20% on the original bill anyway, you'll save that amount.

I remember someone else asking the same thing once.

Actually, the way I see it, we'll be saving around 22+%. If Disney adds on 18% gratuity, that is usually less than what DH tips.

You're saving the average amount of the gratuity you'd be paying for any full service meal. That's pretty much how the savings were from the beginning of the program.

If you use the card at counter service places that accept it, you're saving the full 20%, since those counter service places don't add gratuity.

The reason Disney added the 18% gratuity is because some people were tipping on the discounted amount which is wrong. You should always tip on the pre-discounted amount. Before they added the gratuity I used to just tip back the discount, which was 20%. Now I leave it at the 18% unless I get exceptional service in which I will leave a few extra dollars.

Here is a working example, using $100.00 as the original bill to make the math show up easily. Note this is for Table Service. At Counter Service there is no gratuity added.

100.00 - Original Amount
*20.00 - Discount
*80.00 - Subtotal
*18.00 - Gratuity Added based on $100
**5.20 - Sales Tax on $80
103.20 - Final amount charged, takes into consideration discount, gratuity and tax.

Without TiW Discount (and still figuring 18% Gratuity)

100.00 - Amount of Bill
*18.00 - Gratuity
**6.50 - Sales Tax on $100
124.50 - Total

$21.30 - Savings using TiW Card.

(Note - At Victoria and Albert's the added gratuity is 20% instead of 18%.)
* Ignore the asterisks; they are there only so the columns/numbers line up properly.

So are you trying to say you don't tip the servers then? Cause all Disney is trying to do is make sure that their CM get a tip. I would tip 20% anyway so I love the TiW casue I know that the bill presented to me at the end of my meal is all my dinner is going to cost because the tip is added.

Plus you get discounts on your alcohol. There is no other dinig plan that does that.

I have had this plan since it was the Disney Dining Experience and I have never regreted spending the money for it!!

We usually tip 20%, so I see the total discount as 22% as well. (20% plus 2% less that we tip.)

I always do an analysis on whether TIW or DDP will save us more, and for our needs TIW saves us more every time.

Once nice thing about TiW is that it applies to alcohol and cake purchases too. As others have said, it really is a total 20% off at the CS places that take it. I find it much more flexible than the Dining Plan. We like appetizers, not dessert and want adult beverages, lol, so it works better for us! You do have to factor in the initial purchase price of the TiW card. So, you need to eat at the World a decent amount for it to work for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter