TIW card

jakesmom_01

Mouseketeer
Can someone explain this card to me? We are new DVC members and trying to decide dining for our next trip. Also, I understand that DVC members get discount on dining at restaurants...is this only certain ones? I know that we have access to kitchen or kitchenettes but I am one of those that while on vacation...I'm not cooking. We have in the past travels just done breakfast in the rooms. TIA

Can someone explain this card to me? We are new DVC members and trying to decide dining for our next trip. Also, I understand that DVC members get discount on dining at restaurants...is this only certain ones? I know that we have access to kitchen or kitchenettes but I am one of those that while on vacation...I'm not cooking. We have in the past travels just done breakfast in the rooms. TIA

TIW will cost you $100. You get 20% off of most table service and a few counter service. So you need to spend about $500 to break even. If you have another trip during the year the card is good, you can use it then, too.

There are a few blackout dates when the card cannot be use like Christmas, NYE, holidays. In 2014, the blackout dates are being extended to longer time frames.

You can get the discount on up to 10 meals at one sitting. If you have eleven guests, you'll pay full price for the 11th guest. Both you and your spouse can get the card, $100 for the first card, $50 for the spouse. The card is only good for the person named on the card. Most of the time, the person named on the card, seeking the discount, will need to pay for the meal.

We love the TiW card but it also fits how DH and I eat/travel. Before we owned a DVC, one of us would always get an AP so we could buy the Disney Dining Experience (the previous incarnation of TiW) = that's how much we love it! As a disclaimer, we don't have kids = so we view dining differently than, say, a family of 4 might.

The current price is 100$ for DVC or AP holders. It gives you 20% discount off of everything (including alcohol) at participating restaurants. An 18% gratuity is added back in (we usually would tip 20% and this saves us doing the math). You can find the list of participating restaurants and more info on TiW here. The only place I remember not taking TiW was Teppan Edo but they had an AP discount. A bonus is that Swan and Dolphin restaurants take the TiW - we love their restaurants in terms of quality and ambience - no doubt due in part to not participating in the DDP.

For us it makes sense because we don't want to keep track of snack/dining credits, we don't eat like the DDP would "make" us eat (we are appetizer people but not dessert people), and we almost always have a bottle of wine with dinner. In terms of cooking in the villas, despite having a 1 BR with a full kitchen, breakfast is the only meal we eat in. We "snack" in as well with cheese+crackers+wine in the afternoon but we don't utilize the full kitchen.

Also, I understand that DVC members get discount on dining at restaurants...is this only certain ones?

Here is a link to a PDF with discounts

Tiw discount applies to food and alcohol. It's important to know that.
It works for us and saves us hundreds per trip and we usually get 2-3 trips out of each card.

The TiW can be purchased by Florida Residents, DVC Members, and Annual Passholders. It gives a 20% discount on food and beverages (including alcoholic) at most tables service and some quick services location on WDW for up to ten people at a time. When you purchase it, the card is valid for the remainder of the current month plus 13 full months.

Here is a working example, using $100.00 as the original bill to make the math show up easily. Note this is for Table Service. At Counter Service there is no gratuity added.

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*20.00 - Discount
*80.00 - Subtotal
*18.00 - Gratuity Added based on $100
**5.20 - Sales Tax on $80
103.20 - Final amount charged, takes into consideration discount, gratuity and tax.

Without TiW Discount (and still figuring 18% Gratuity)

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*18.00 - Gratuity
**6.50 - Sales Tax on $100
124.50 - Total

$21.30 - Savings using TiW Card.

(Note - At Victoria and Albert's the added gratuity is 20% instead of 18%.)
* Ignore the asterisks; they are there only so the columns/numbers line up properly.

For the complete list of locations and the rules, go to www.tablesinwonderland.com which is the Official Disney site.

Based on the current pricing, the following is the break-even point for menu pricing (assuming you will routinely give an 18% tip):
AP Holder or DVC Member ($100) is $469.48
Resident (not AP holder) ($125) is $586.85
If you also add a Spouse Card ($50), add an additional $234.74
The three amounts above take into consideration that the Sales Tax is also discounted.

tablesinwonderland.com is a terrific resource. And then the DVC pages that show where we get discounts. Compare the lists to the places you'll be eating, and see which one makes the most sense.

One other benefit of TIW is free valet parking at resorts where dining. You just need to show dining receipt.
Just returned from a week trip with only hubby and I. I added everything up and we would have just broke even if we had not used the valet parking due to some rainy nights. But the good thing is I will get 1 or 2 more trips on this card!

We were debating meal plans and the tiw card also. We did a guestimate on how much we would be spending on food than compared that to the cost of the dining plans. It was cheaper for us not getting the dining plan. We also bought the tiw card which saved more money. And since we are planning on going back before the card expires, we will get more than our monies worth on the card.

If you go for alot of character meals and higher end meals (hoop dee do luau etc) then it may be better for the dining plan.

We were debating meal plans and the tiw card also. We did a guestimate on how much we would be spending on food than compared that to the cost of the dining plans. It was cheaper for us not getting the dining plan. We also bought the tiw card which saved more money. And since we are planning on going back before the card expires, we will get more than our monies worth on the card.

If you go for alot of character meals and higher end meals (hoop dee do luau etc) then it may be better for the dining plan.

We too have always found it to be cheaper to use the TIW card discount instead of the dining plan. PLUS...We get to eat what we choose instead of needing to do dessert instead of an appetizer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter