• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tired of people judging me!!!

I know what you mean "mousefan". I hate to tell anyone that we are going to Disney for Mardi Gras this year. This is what our family decides to do. We leave all the craziness, and enjoy our time when the kids have off. Most of the time it is just us "louisiana people". This year it will be a little bit more crowded because of president's week. But, we are excited to be going. :thumbsup2 And YEAH!!! where do they go when they want to go????? Me of course. This year we will be celebrating our youngest turning 15(on Mardi Gras day), and he just became an Eagle Scout. I have decided to make no excuse. YES....I LOVE DISNEY.:rolleyes1

I don't go as often as many people on this board, but once every other year. I used to get embarrassed when telling people that I was going to Disney AGAIN because I knew what I would hear.

That all changed this year. My 42 yo husband was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in April. After 8 weeks of radiation, 2 weeks of chemo, 9 hours of surgery and 6 more weeks recovery time (not to mention me crying buckets of tears) I could care less what people think of my vacation destination. This situation put life into perspective for both of us. Disney is our happy place and we really need our upcoming trip. Life is short, don't spend it trying to please others by sacrificing what makes you and your family happy. :wizard:

Happy holidays everyone!

Oh, I get this all the time. Every time people look at me and say "You're going AGAIN?!" I just smile and nod and tell them we love it there!

It's wonderful to have a place like the DIS where people understand going to WDW as a regular vacation place. There is so much to do, so many different resorts to stay at... every vacation really is so much different than the last! I don't feel at all like I'm doing the same thing over and over.

I am proud of my love for WDW!:woohoo:

I don't go as often as many people on this board, but once every other year. I used to get embarrassed when telling people that I was going to Disney AGAIN because I knew what I would hear.

That all changed this year. My 42 yo husband was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in April. After 8 weeks of radiation, 2 weeks of chemo, 9 hours of surgery and 6 more weeks recovery time (not to mention crying buckets of tears) I could care less what people think of my vacation destination. This situation put life into perspective for both of us. Disney is our happy place and we really need our upcoming trip. Life is short, don't spend it trying to please others by sacrificing what makes you and your family happy. :wizard:

Happy holidays everyone!

ITA! Life is too short to give a hoot what others think. Do what you want to do and be happy!! My parents go on the same cruises over and over and over again. Same destinations, same cruise line (and no NOT Disney :scared1:) But its what makes them happy and that's all that matters.

Ok...I am sick and tired of people giving me "The Look" when they ask where I'm going on vacation and I say DISNEY (with much enthusiasm)! They look at me like I have two heads or something! They say," Didn't you JUST go!" or "I can think of a million better places to spend my vacation money than Disney" I mean, isn't it MY money and MY decision where I spend my vacation!!! The most insulting was my FIL went to my BIL and said ," I can't believe they are going back to Disney, what's up with that? I mean, I can see going once, but every year!" and then my BIL replies, " Yeah, I know they are SO G@Y!"

I get upset when people make me feel embarrassed about something I love. But the comment from my FIL and my BIL just out right enraged my husband and myself. So much, that we haven't spoke to either one of them for a week and now with Christmas coming up, I know we are going to catch H*LL from them and I'm afraid I might just go off on them right in the middle of Christmas!

Do any of you guys have this problem and how do you deal???

We don't have that problem. There are so many amazing places to see in the world. If all our trips revolved around Disney, we would be missing so much. We have been fortunate to travel all throughout the Southwest and Northwest United States, New York, D.C., Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlantic City, Atlanta, Mexico, Canada, England, France, Italy, Greece, Spain, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands, Belgium, the Caribbean, Hawaii, China and Thailand so far. We hope to make it to Africa and Australia some day as well as more of the Southeast United States. Luckily, we live close to Disneyland so it's easy to take a day or two here and there to visit "the Happiest Place on Earth" every now and then.:)

We don't have that problem. There are so many amazing places to see in the world. If all our trips revolved around Disney, we would be missing so much. We have been fortunate to travel all throughout the Southwest and Northwest United States, New York, D.C., Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlantic City, Atlanta, Mexico, Canada, England, France, Italy, Greece, Spain, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands, Belgium, the Caribbean, Hawaii, China and Thailand so far. We hope to make it to Africa and Australia some day as well as more of the Southeast United States. Luckily, we live close to Disneyland so it's easy to take a day or two here and there to visit "the Happiest Place on Earth" every now and then.:)
This is perfect to me. Seeing new places and visiting a Disney park sounds just right. :thumbsup2

One thing I can't figure out is yes I get the "Your going to Disney again?" all the time but figure this.

I live a few miles from the nations capital and take my family yearly up the Washington Monument, museums, other monuments, White House Easter egg roll and so on. Every time I mention a museum or something downtown people are shocked that I ventured just a few miles from home. I get comments like it was my first time downtown, "We live so close and never go..."

Why do people think I go to WDW too much and assume I never go to DC?

Also even though we go to Disney 2-3 time a year we still visit other places as are fortunate enough to do so.

So the bottom line is why do others care. :confused3

We go 2 or 3 times a year for 10 days and I never worry what others think. Who cares. My wife and I have been going just the two of us for years. It's our happy place and that's all that counts. We do vacation other places to. We went to Italy for 2 weeks last year.

We're the same way, we've been going to WDW every 12-18 months or so, along with a Vegas trip every year. So one "Disney for adults" trip and one real Disney trip. :)

All the time we get either the "again?" question or the "Disney but you have no kids?" question. Often the answer to both is either "We can afford to travel so much BECAUSE we have no kids" or just explain how we love the options of sitting by the nice pools at the GF, or going to the parks when we get bored of that... or vice vera. And like others have said, after a while, you just don't care what the other people say!

That's just mean that your family said that. I know people don't always 'understand' like the DISers :) but they shouldn't make those comments.

1. Don't you wish we didn't CARE what people thought??? Ok, that's a theory, but really, not your problem - it's theres.
2. They want to buy extra clothes, things, go out to dinner every night, etc.... but we like to save our money and spend it on a happy place!
3. Whether you travel other places (I do!) or not, Disney World is HUGE! The service and atmosphere is great and no one can beat it - NO ONE.
4. Is it so hard to understand that people want to go somewhere happy where you don't step in gum or cigarette butts? That you can enjoy something to DO, SEE, and EAT and not get bored?
5. Grrr....Disney poo-poohers are grumpy and not worth being around :laughing:

We never tell relatives about our trips, only close friends are our contacts while we go. We rarely tell any relatives about our trips after we come back. It's much better that way. Too much comparing and jealousy.

You guys are bad luck, I havn't heard anything in a while and just ran into a co-worker I havn't seen in a few months and they commented on it was time for me to grow up and stop all that Disney junk!
Well Merry Christmas to you to!!:mad:

That's just mean that your family said that. I know people don't always 'understand' like the DISers :) but they shouldn't make those comments.

1. Don't you wish we didn't CARE what people thought??? Ok, that's a theory, but really, not your problem - it's theres.
2. They want to buy extra clothes, things, go out to dinner every night, etc.... but we like to save our money and spend it on a happy place!
3. Whether you travel other places (I do!) or not, Disney World is HUGE! The service and atmosphere is great and no one can beat it - NO ONE.
4. Is it so hard to understand that people want to go somewhere happy where you don't step in gum or cigarette butts? That you can enjoy something to DO, SEE, and EAT and not get bored?
5. Grrr....Disney poo-poohers are grumpy and not worth being around :laughing:

Well Said! :thumbsup2

Here's something else that I've been mulling over. The same family and friends that make fun of me are the same ones who feed my addiction! They buy us Disney stuff for Christmas but still make fun of us! I don't get it:confused3

Franky I don't care what other people think...it makes life a lot easier.

I am 26 and from the UK. I get the same type of comments all of the time from people from work and friends and family. To be honest I do what makes me and my husband happy for our vacation and screw the rest of them. As a child our family holiday was always a beach holiday in spain sat staring at sand. As soon as I was old enough I did what I wanted to do for MY vacation and that just happens to be WDW! I was lucky enough to find a wonderful husband who likes disney too and in the very near future when we start a family I hope that we can take our children to WDW as often as possible.

Don't let anyone dictate how you enjoy yourselves!

After all...it aint their fault they dont get it lol

Ok...I am sick and tired of people giving me "The Look" when they ask where I'm going on vacation and I say DISNEY (with much enthusiasm)! They look at me like I have two heads or something! They say," Didn't you JUST go!" or "I can think of a million better places to spend my vacation money than Disney" I mean, isn't it MY money and MY decision where I spend my vacation!!! The most insulting was my FIL went to my BIL and said ," I can't believe they are going back to Disney, what's up with that? I mean, I can see going once, but every year!" and then my BIL replies, " Yeah, I know they are SO G@Y!"

I get upset when people make me feel embarrassed about something I love. But the comment from my FIL and my BIL just out right enraged my husband and myself. So much, that we haven't spoke to either one of them for a week and now with Christmas coming up, I know we are going to catch H*LL from them and I'm afraid I might just go off on them right in the middle of Christmas!

Do any of you guys have this problem and how do you deal???

Disney I can understand. But the LSU thing has got to go. Louisiana Tech!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter