Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAB3

Earning My Ears
I'm trying to figure out how much cash I need to bring for tips. Who do you usually tip and how much? We have never used the magical express before so not sure who will be handling our bags and if we will even come in contact with them. What about the transportation to the parks, do you usually tip them? What about housekeeping? Do you tip them daily or at the end of your trip?

I'm trying to figure out how much cash I need to bring for tips. Who do you usually tip and how much? We have never used the magical express before so not sure who will be handling our bags and if we will even come in contact with them. What about the transportation to the parks, do you usually tip them? What about housekeeping? Do you tip them daily or at the end of your trip?

Well, obviously for ADR's, TS meals and such you tip (counter service, no lol), so depending on how often you eat at those places during your trip, I can't tell you how much tip to bring for THAT.

Now, as for the others, I'll knock em' off one by one. LOL

1: Magical Express - if you're not taking your luggage with you onto the ME bus, and having Disney deliver it for you, then you don't tip, because you won't even see them. If by some chance you're in your room when they deliver your luggage, I'd say $1-2 per bag would suffice. That depends on if you believe they should get a tip. This position is a tricky one, tip-wise. Now, if you're taking your luggage WITH you, and when you get to the resort, the driver comes out to take out your bags, then yes I say it's alright to tip. The same rate for this as well, $1-2 per bag. :)

2:Transportation to the parks - in most cases, you DON'T tip these CM's. They are simply doing their job and aren't going out of their way for something or someone specific. IF however they do go out of their way for you, whatever it may be (helping you with something, doing something out of the ordinary to make your experience 10x better, then I say you tip. Once again, same rates as those with the ME service. :goodvibes

3: Mousekeeping - the majority of people tip these CM's, either out of sympathy for what their job entails or just appreciative of cleaning their room. Usually it's a $1 or so per day, unless they do something special, like make a towel animal, place one of your stuffed animals (if you have kids) on the bed and make it look like it's watching TV with the remote, etc. I highly suggest tipping every day, as apposed to all of it at the end of your trip, mainly because on your last day, you could very well have a different Mousekeeper clean your room. If this happens, you'll be leaving the tip for someone else to that new person, who hasn't even touched your room yet. This wouldn't be fair to the Mousekeeper that cleaned your room all week and made your trip just a little more magical. :sad2:

I say leave a note with your tip if you want. It doesn't have to say anything lengthy. Just a simple "Thank you!" would suffice. I'm sure that keeps the Mousekeeper's spirits just a teensy bit lighter during the day. I know it would for me! :thumbsup2

In the end, go with what YOU think. If you think a certain someone should be tipped based on what they've done, then give them a tip. No one's stopping you. The CM's will surely appreciate it!

Don't forget valet parking if you are using it at a deluxe resort about $2-$3 when you picl up your car............

Disney employed CMs are not supposed to accept tips, unless they are in a food service position. That includes housekeeping, bus drivers, concierge CMs and the like.

Valet parking is jobbed out, so you can tip those folks.

Servers, bartenders, of course...

Do as you prefer, just know that you shouldn't think you "must" tip positions other than those that are directly related to food service.

We leave $1 person, or so , on a pillow for housekeeping. If we are at a hotel that provides turndown we leave $2 before we leave for dinner.

I always tip housekeeping about $3 a day.

I've not heard that they are not suppose to accept tips. Would like to know where that information is, as I've been doing this for years. Or if I could get that verified when I check in.

Thanks

At the Walt Disney World Resort, it is customary to tip the following positions for exceptional service: bartender, bell services, cocktail server, food and beverage server and valet parker.

I always tip housekeeping about $3 a day.

I've not heard that they are not suppose to accept tips. Would like to know where that information is, as I've been doing this for years. Or if I could get that verified when I check in.

Thanks

Majority of CM's are not allowed to accept tips or they can be fired. This was due to Walt not wanting his employees to be bribed by guests for preferential treatment. In his eyes everyone deserved special treatment.

We have gone back and forth here on the dis regarding tipping Mousekeeping. Some said it was allowed, others were told not. I believe it's discretionary, but never required.

Our last trip, on multiple days, I saw 2 CM's cleaning my room. I wondered if that required me to tip double.

Well, obviously for ADR's, TS meals and such you tip (counter service, no lol), so depending on how often you eat at those places during your trip, I can't tell you how much tip to bring for THAT.

Now, as for the others, I'll knock em' off one by one. LOL

1: Magical Express - if you're not taking your luggage with you onto the ME bus, and having Disney deliver it for you, then you don't tip, because you won't even see them. If by some chance you're in your room when they deliver your luggage, I'd say $1-2 per bag would suffice. That depends on if you believe they should get a tip. This position is a tricky one, tip-wise. Now, if you're taking your luggage WITH you, and when you get to the resort, the driver comes out to take out your bags, then yes I say it's alright to tip. The same rate for this as well, $1-2 per bag. :)

2:Transportation to the parks - in most cases, you DON'T tip these CM's. They are simply doing their job and aren't going out of their way for something or someone specific. IF however they do go out of their way for you, whatever it may be (helping you with something, doing something out of the ordinary to make your experience 10x better, then I say you tip. Once again, same rates as those with the ME service. :goodvibes

3: Mousekeeping - the majority of people tip these CM's, either out of sympathy for what their job entails or just appreciative of cleaning their room. Usually it's a $1 or so per day, unless they do something special, like make a towel animal, place one of your stuffed animals (if you have kids) on the bed and make it look like it's watching TV with the remote, etc. I highly suggest tipping every day, as apposed to all of it at the end of your trip, mainly because on your last day, you could very well have a different Mousekeeper clean your room. If this happens, you'll be leaving the tip for someone else to that new person, who hasn't even touched your room yet. This wouldn't be fair to the Mousekeeper that cleaned your room all week and made your trip just a little more magical. :sad2:

I say leave a note with your tip if you want. It doesn't have to say anything lengthy. Just a simple "Thank you!" would suffice. I'm sure that keeps the Mousekeeper's spirits just a teensy bit lighter during the day. I know it would for me! :thumbsup2

In the end, go with what YOU think. If you think a certain someone should be tipped based on what they've done, then give them a tip. No one's stopping you. The CM's will surely appreciate it!

We'll be taking Magical Express from the airport and staying CL so we'll have no luggage with us. How about the CM who picks you up at the door and takes you to your CL room and shows you around. Are they to be tipped?

Just my opinion, but don't you think you've spent enough money on your vacation to worry about tips? You can't go around tipping everyone at Disney who is there to do what they were hired to do. However, if you really want to throw your hard earn money around, then go ahead.

For example: Yes, you can tip the Magical Express driver who will be flaunting money around in his hand, making sure you see that he wants a tip. It's up to you if you want to feel obligated or guilty and pay him extra for doing his job.

I'll have to agree with a previous poster that restaurant/food services usually require a tip. Although if it wasn't for that darn receipt (suggested/mandatory tipping) at table service restaurants, I don't think I would be leaving a $30-$50 tip. That's just ridiculous.

Stop worrying about tips and start looking forward to having fun.

Just my opinion, but don't you think you've spent enough money on your vacation to worry about tips? You can't go around tipping everyone at Disney who is there to do what they were hired to do. However, if you really want to throw your hard earn money around, then go ahead.

For example: Yes, you can tip the Magical Express driver who will be flaunting money around in his hand, making sure you see that he wants a tip. It's up to you if you want to feel obligated or guilty and pay him extra for doing his job.

I'll have to agree with a previous poster that restaurant/food services usually require a tip. Although if it wasn't for that darn receipt (suggested/mandatory tipping) at table service restaurants, I don't think I would be leaving a $30-$50 tip. That's just ridiculous.

Stop worrying about tips and start looking forward to having fun.

Man, what's with the attitude? Just because you're tipping doesn't mean you're throwing your hard earned money around!

I planned to throw my hard earned $ around during my upcoming trip. :rotfl::rotfl: Seriously though, I appreciate anyone who provides a service to me to make my trip more enjoyable including the ME driver, mousekeeping, and of course the servers. Maybe I'll even tip the greeter! :idea:

Man, what's with the attitude? Just because you're tipping doesn't mean you're throwing your hard earned money around!

No attitude here, just common sense.

I don't mind tipping someone if they go above and beyond to do something for me, but I'm not going to tip someone for doing their job. Let's take the Magical Express driver for example, what exactly is he (or she) doing that is above and beyond his job description?

There's nothing wrong with a polite "Thank you very much" when someone does something that they are expected to do. Too many people are thinking the laws of tipping go out the window just because they are at Disney World.

Like a previous poster said (only joking I hope) that maybe she'll even tip the greeter too. Well, I guess all Walmart greeters must really love her. :rotfl:

on our first trip to Disney World 10 years ago, we didn't realize there was so much "tipping" going on. We rode the ME bus to our resort and at that time we had to bring our bags with us to check in, I didn't realize you were "supposed" to tip the driver if he handled your bags, BUT with that said, my husband and I did tip the driver, because as we were leaving one resort for guest drop off, he spied a turtle crossing the road, stopped the bus and got out, helping the turtle into the little lake across the road. we felt tht was a great "welcome to disney" moment LOL the world at disney was different then the outside world. It was great, so I tipped him for saving an animal :)

I haven't been to Disney in an awful long time, but here's what I plan on:

1. Food service workers (except counter service): 20% and up if good service

2. Mousekeeping: $2 a day with a note saying thanks

3. Anyone else that we feel deserves it

I work hard for my money so that I CAN throw it around on whatever I choose!:goodvibes 'Thank you very much' is a wonderful, polite thing to say. But $ can help pay a bill - so when I feel its warranted, I do both!

P.S. - used to be a server in NYC and Miami Beach and we always had the info at the bottom of the receipt showing the exact amount they should tip for 15% for good service, 20% for great service and 25% for exceptional service. Most people (especially those visitors not from US) really appreciated the math being done for them. Other people were surprised that 10% for exceptional service isn't considered the norm anymore, lol:eek: I was a very good server and usually averaged about 25 - 30% but my tired feet, stress level, aching legs and looooong nights earned it:goodvibes And I was always appreciative of a warm, polite person, even if they weren't able to afford a big tip!:lovestruc

As far as tipping standards, you'll get a thousand different opinions here. You can read the replies, digest the info, and then do what you feel is right for you and your situation. With that said, here are our disney guidelines:

We tip the DME driver $10 each way regardless of whether or not he touched our bags. Seriously, it's a free transfer....if Disney didn't offer it, how much would it cost to get on property? IMO, a $20 tip for transportation to/from Disney is still a money saver. For reference, it's going to cost us $200 roundtrip for our home airport transfers.....which ironically, is cheaper than offsite parking for the length of our trip. I think sometimes the "I don't have to tip unless he handles my bag" guideline is a bit too convienent. I"ve seen people tackle small children as they attempt to reach their bags before the driver lays a finger on them....:rolleyes1

Mousekeeping gets $5/day for our family of 3. They get $10 on checkout day cause we leave a bigger mess/more trash.

If I call housekeeping for more towels/pillows, etc, they get a few bucks. That's a customary "service" to tip for. I've never had a runner refuse a tip.

Baggage services gets $ when they deliver our mailed boxes, the stroller we've rented, and our groceries. That's going to be a big haul. I'm going to be prepared.

If we get a cab, which we do at least once per trip, the guy that hails it gets a few bucks.

I should admit that both DH and I were starving college students who relied on tips to pay our bills. We've 'been there, done that'. A tip is not a handout, it's not a bribe, it's an expression of one's gratitude. To be frank, we can afford a vacation, and have no qualms about tipping as generously as we can afford to. Those in "typically tipped" positions outside of Disney will get tipped by us inside of Disney as well.

Ok,

To the OP: It's really a matter of your own preference. If you feel you have received a service that warrants a tip. Do so! But please don't go around feeling that you obliged to do so, enjoy your time there. You did already state that you will, so no worries there. And tip what you feel is an adequate amount, the numbers that are at the bottom of the bill are only a guide.

Mini-Ramble follows: (sorry)

There have been several ideas running here. Some that tip because they needed the money when they were coming up, and it's kind of a "Hey, been there done that (needed that)" kind of thing. I get it, I too was a server at one point.

There is the other side of the coin where one doesn't feel that a tip is warranted if the individual is just doing their "job". I get this too. I agree, people are paid to perform a service.

This is more a societal element really. And isn't there a tipping forum/board somewhere, anyways. Society has made it so that tipping has become somewhat "mandatory", most service personnel aren't paid enough to begin with, the tip is expected. In fact a food service worker (I think even at Disney) is less than that of a regular staffer simply because tips are expected for that industry.

My issue is when I get a server that expects the tip and doesn't do anything except go through the motions. It's not warranted at that point and then I feel that it would be necessary to leave a tip, a SMALL one on purpose. I've only had to do this once, and NOT at Disney.

But I digress.. this could go on and probably shouldn't. A mod should either move the thread or kill it.

Ok,

To the OP: It's really a matter of your own preference. If you feel you have received a service that warrants a tip. Do so! But please don't go around feeling that you obliged to do so, enjoy your time there. You did already state that you will, so no worries there. And tip what you feel is an adequate amount, the numbers that are at the bottom of the bill are only a guide.

Mini-Ramble follows: (sorry)

There have been several ideas running here. Some that tip because they needed the money when they were coming up, and it's kind of a "Hey, been there done that (needed that)" kind of thing. I get it, I too was a server at one point.

There is the other side of the coin where one doesn't feel that a tip is warranted if the individual is just doing their "job". I get this too. I agree, people are paid to perform a service.

This is more a societal element really. And isn't there a tipping forum/board somewhere, anyways. Society has made it so that tipping has become somewhat "mandatory", most service personnel aren't paid enough to begin with, the tip is expected. In fact a food service worker (I think even at Disney) is less than that of a regular staffer simply because tips are expected for that industry.

My issue is when I get a server that expects the tip and doesn't do anything except go through the motions. It's not warranted at that point and then I feel that it would be necessary to leave a tip, a SMALL one on purpose. I've only had to do this once, and NOT at Disney.

But I digress.. this could go on and probably shouldn't. A mod should either move the thread or kill it.

I judge it by what the IRS says. If a job is considered a tipped position, like a server, then I tip a full amount. If a job is a minimum wage position then I only tip if they go above and beyond. I wonder if bell hops are tipped positions? I've always just carried my own bags but on cruises I tip them....

I agree, when the service you recieve is not even at the adequate level then I would express my disatisfaction with a 10% tip.... I'm sure that won't be the case when I go to WDW in August, though! I'm hoping to have great service all around!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter