Tips

jb2

Earning My Ears
I just returned from the 8-15 Aug, Magic, western. We had the best time the weather was perfect. Our wait staff and our state room host were great. I know it has been discussed here before about tips but how much usually do people give above the recommended amount. I know its at your own discretion but I never know if I am doing the right thing. Also do you add an extra tip when you get a drink at the bar? Thank you.

We tipped the recommended amount for our whole wait staff. They were decent but not the phenomenal service that everyone here keeps mentioning.
I tipped above for the stateroom hostess. I thought she was the best. There were 3 of us in the stateroom so I think the recommended amount was $84 and I rounded it to $100.

We didn't drink frequently so I never noticed that there was a gratuity automatically added. So I did end up putting an extra $1 on every drink. Now I know to look. Dopey me!! :rolleyes1

On first afternoon we make a point of meeting our room steward and making him aware of our priorities (ICE ICE ICE) and slip him a $10.

The better he does at keeping us in ice, the better his final tip packet will be

We take a pack of singles with us and each drink ordered will get an additional $1 cash (the bartenders seem to appreciate a little "real money").

Palo server gets $20 per head additional for Dinner and $10 per head additional for Brunch

We observe the tipping guidelines on the final evening with additional monies for superior service.

The folks that serve us on the ship are great. They have so many fascinating stories. We stay in touch with a few of the bartenders. I encourage you to take some time and get to know a few of them...

We are back on the Wonder 2 more times this year...right out of dry dock and for the Xmass Cruise... heres wishing that the 2011 cruises release while we are on board!!! :banana:

Basically anything over the suggested is really good. Most of the CMs plan on getting the suggested amount even though they know that it may not happen.

As to extras for drinks...for us, it's usually smoothies. If I (or DD) goes to the bar and gets the drink, I don't add to the 15%. If the server takes my order elsewhere and brings me the drink, I do add a bit. At Palo, I added extra (my 18 year old commented that I'd been very generous). Room host and dining servers depend on service given. If they do the job adequately but nothing more, they'll get the suggested. If they are funny, sweet, efficient, and add to our enjoyment of our cruise, I'll increase it. Even when they are sort of borderline, I usually do the suggested amount, especially if I've learned that it's a first contract.

For someone who is really great, I'll write a letter when I get home...it goes into their employment records and will affect promotions, etc.

Palo I tip the 'fee' amount again pp, ie if the fee is $15pp I tip $15pp.

I understand that there is a great variance on tipping at Palo, they now have a 'set talk' about giving excellent service, and letting them know if it isn't excellent. The tipping the fee amount is the most popular. But nothnig is set in stone and its up to you.

Drinks I leave it at the 15% auto tip as DCL sets this, unless its a big or difficult order.

I pre pay tips pre cruise, as a 'base' I then will add a little bit more in cash, or for our stateroom host as we had a large room Cat 3, I added more last night.

I understand most people tip the correct suggested amount, but there are a few, who duck going to the evening meals, or the last evening meal or breakfast, to avoid paying tips, or tip a lower amount, and do not wish to see the servers. This tends to be first time cruisers who do not intend to cruise again.

Always Always tip on last NIGHT, as DCL suggests this and your servers might not be there for breakfast, this has happened twice now to me, our server on the last cruise last week had to go to immigration at 7am, The all have to do this once every four weeks and, they might not be able to see you on disembarkation.

I also tipped concierge although there are no guidelines.

In six cruises I have only tipped below the recommended amount once and that was for a head server who didnt show until tip night. I gave his to my other servers.

How about tips when u have a room service dinner (ie. served in the Walt or Roy Suite)?

How about tips when u have a room service dinner (ie. served in the Walt or Roy Suite)?

My DD would say that I'm being ugly, but....if you can afford the Walt or Roy suite, do you need to worry about $10 for the guy who carries your dinner to you?

Also, the suites have more than double the space/bathrooms/etc. of a normal room, yet the suggested tipping for the room host is the same per passenger amount. This is another place where my opinion is that they should get WAY more than the recommended. I suspect that most families in suites do recognize the extra work and reward it with extra tips, but it doesn't hurt to say so.

I had no problem tipping the waiter and his assistant. My stateroom host was outstanding and I gave him extra in cash. However, I did have a problem tipping the "head Server"....this person did little more than come to our table once per night and ask if everything was okay. If you asked me, she was completely unneccessary and just added another level of people to tip. I would have much rather tipped my waiter extra. I think they need to do away with the "head Waiter"....they do nothing. I did not see her interacting with her team..she just walked around. What a waste!

I had no problem tipping the waiter and his assistant. My stateroom host was outstanding and I gave him extra in cash. However, I did have a problem tipping the "head Server"....this person did little more than come to our table once per night and ask if everything was okay. If you asked me, she was completely unneccessary and just added another level of people to tip. I would have much rather tipped my waiter extra. I think they need to do away with the "head Waiter"....they do nothing. I did not see her interacting with her team..she just walked around. What a waste!

They actually do more than you think. Their goal is to make sure that things go smoothly behind the scenes. If you had no problems or any problems were fixed then they were doing their jobs.

Some do take a more personal approach and come to the tables each night, some don't. Tip what you feel. On our last few cruises the head server came and chatted each night and took lobster tails out of shells, etc. so we had no problem tipping above the recommended.

MJ

Someone above mentioned tipping on the last night -- which made me wonder:

When/how do you tip? My DM has taken other cruises and said she just tipped the "set" amount somewhere in the lobby.

Do you had each tip out separately? Or do you fill out one big tip form and turn it in?

Newbie here, and somewhat confused...;)

You can fill out a tip form and turn it in at Guest Services. You'll get the form and the envelopes in your cabin the night before the last night. If you do the form, you are "charging" your tips to your onboard account. You'll get tickets that are perforated--1/2 for your records, 1/2 to put in the envelope to give to the CM. The CM will get the tips even if you don't hand it to them, but it is customary to give it to them personally. There are 4 tipped positions--stateroom host, server, assistant server, and head server. You can tip by placing cash or the ticket stub (or both) in the envelope. You can actually do the charging at any time during the cruise if that is your choice and you can charge any amount--more or less than the "suggested" if desired.

The head server may look like he's not doing much, but is frequently being very active "behind the scenes." I commented to our server that our Head Server was a dud on one cruise and the server strongly disagreed, commenting that this guy was his "best friend" and telling me what the Head was doing that I didn't see.

You can fill out a tip form and turn it in at Guest Services. You'll get the form and the envelopes in your cabin the night before the last night. If you do the form, you are "charging" your tips to your onboard account. You'll get tickets that are perforated--1/2 for your records, 1/2 to put in the envelope to give to the CM. The CM will get the tips even if you don't hand it to them, but it is customary to give it to them personally. There are 4 tipped positions--stateroom host, server, assistant server, and head server. You can tip by placing cash or the ticket stub (or both) in the envelope. You can actually do the charging at any time during the cruise if that is your choice and you can charge any amount--more or less than the "suggested" if desired.

Thanks for the clear explanation! It's good to know that if we miss a dinner, we won't have to "hunt" down our servers -- they will still get their tips. Sounds like a good and convenient system to me.:goodvibes

We tipped out our servers on the night before the last night (did that make sense). We were on a 7 night cruise so debarking on Saturday morning. Envelopes arrived Thursday so we filled everything out, went to GS to charge them and handed them out that night. DH is early with everything. Servers looked at us funny but we assured them that we wanted them to have their tips in hand just in case we were too tired after the day on CC to make it to dinner. They were grateful.
Seemed weird to me but then again I expect everyone to tip the standard amount at a minimum (which after reading the Dis I now know doesn't happen).

Since we're on the 3-day cruise, I think we'll have to wait for the last day -- otherwise we'll be tipping so early we won't know if we're tipping the right amount (I guess it's a downside of such a short cruise:rotfl:). It sounds like we'll get our luggage tags and tip sheet on our first full day!:rotfl:

Our first cruise I thought the same thing. I know better now...anyone that makes a request for dinning rotation change, the head server is the one who handles ALL change requests, if you have a problem with either your server or food the head waiter "fixes" that. They are also the ones that make sure everything is ready when they open the doors. Most of their work is done behind the scenes, which is why it looks like their not doing anything during the dinner service. If your dinning experience goes smoothly, they ARE doing a great job. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter