Tips/Tricks on Couples traveling with different interest!

louise1928

Mouseketeer
I don't visit here often, but when I stumbled across this thread, I thought I would jump in. My husband and I travel a lot together, very rarely with friends, family etc., so most of the time its just the two of us. However, we do share different interest when planning our vacations, as many of you probably do.

Any ideas, tips, tricks you can share would be a great!! I will start with my own;

Thanks to cell phones, when one of us wants to ride, shop, explore, we will often times split up, and meet somewhere later. It works out great, and we only do this during the daytime hours, in the evenings we are always together.

Once when were at Islands of Adventure, he wanted to ride the Hulk, and I wanted to explore the park. The line was long, so his wait was about 30 minutes. While he was waiting for his ride, I explored the park on my own, grabbed a cool drink, and found a nice spot to people watch. When the ride was over, we were back together. It was much better than me sitting there waiting for him to ride. I got to see things he had no interest in, and spend some free time alone.

We also do this at the Movie Theater, which really works out great. He wanted to see a horror movie and I wanted to see a comedy. We picked the movies that were running at the same times and same theater of course, and off we went, met up when it was over, and had a great dinner. We do this at home as well.

The idea of traveling together is to spend quality time, however, there is nothing wrong with stealing a few hours alone on vacation either! It works out great for us.

Our next trip is Disney for Christmas, and we are already planning his rides and attractions, and my interest as well. We know we will split up during the course of our trip, but it all works out.

hey at least your husband goes to the parks.

many ladies here their husband goes to golf....

hey at least your husband goes to the parks.

many ladies here their husband goes to golf....

And I say to that "Let him play golf, and you go explore the parks"!! Why let him kill your disney spirit!!:cool1:

P.S. Make sure he pays for tickets too:thumbsup2

Oh don't get me started. :rotfl: DH has us make a trip to visit family in MN every other year. Then he dumps me and the kids at his Dad's place, visits with him a few hours every day and then goes off to visit friends in other towns.

I used to just fume being stranded. Especially since I couldn't see my parents or sisters who were only 30 minutes away.

Well, the last time he did that - I rented my own car and off the kids and I went. He says he won't do it again but I'll be prepared if he does - with the name of the nearest rental car company. :lmao:

At the parks, we now split up some too. He didn't used to like to do that (oh my I remember one particularly bad trip to Universal where we were ready to strangle each other) but I'm tired of commando touring so it's either split up or we all go slower. :thumbsup2

I think it is awesome when couples figure out their differences and allow for that. What is wrong with one going to play golf while the other explores their own interests. Its healthy that you can do that on the same vacation together and not cause much worry in your relationship. It probably makes you stronger in the end. Congratulations to OP on figuring this out with their spouse.

I also have different traveling interests than my husband. His idea of a vacation is relaxing on a beach. While I like that at times, I also enjoy my active Disney vacations. I like to get to the Parks when they first open - my husband prefers to sleep in.

I have been lucky because my husband generally goes along with my interests when we are at Disney. He tells me that he does because it makes me so happy! :love:

I also have different traveling interests than my husband. His idea of a vacation is relaxing on a beach. While I like that at times, I also enjoy my active Disney vacations. I like to get to the Parks when they first open - my husband prefers to sleep in.

I have been lucky because my husband generally goes along with my interests when we are at Disney. He tells me that he does because it makes me so happy! :love:

What a good hubby. . .do you do his interests as well?

I think it is awesome when couples figure out their differences and allow for that. What is wrong with one going to play golf while the other explores their own interests. Its healthy that you can do that on the same vacation together and not cause much worry in your relationship. It probably makes you stronger in the end. Congratulations to OP on figuring this out with their spouse.

In our early years of marriage, it took several vacations and many arguments to figure out a strategy that would work for the both us!

Next spring we are vacationing at a guest/horse ranch, (my hubby loves Horses), and since I am picking the ranch, I am looking for a resort-like atmosphere so I can relax by the pool, sightsee, and enjoy the amenities at the ranch, while he is riding and enjoying his horse!:thumbsup2

In our early years of marriage, it took several vacations and many arguments to figure out a strategy that would work for the both us!

Next spring we are vacationing at a guest/horse ranch, (my hubby loves Horses), and since I am picking the ranch, I am looking for a resort-like atmosphere so I can relax by the pool, sightsee, and enjoy the amenities at the ranch, while he is riding and enjoying his horse!:thumbsup2

none of that matters. I am very proud that you figured it out and shared it here. there are too many people here that think life evolves around Disney. That is just not the case.

Hugs and enjoy your next vacation together. I know you will.

Fortunately, I am just as excited as he is to visit Disney again. We were there 4 years ago but only got to see Epcot. This time around we are planning to visit MK and AK.

DH and I are generally on the same page vacation wise. A few differences are that he likes to get up early, and I'd prefer sleeping in a bit. We camp at FW with our 2 dogs and a nice compromise for us is that he really enjoys his morning walk with the dogs while I catch a few extra winks.

We try and compromise on a few other things... I'll sit through a football game at ESPN zone (as long as I have an actual seat - and the cold beer doesn't hurt) and he'll quietly snooze through the Candlelight Processional. :lmao:

My DW loves the theme parks particularly Disney, I find them at best hardwork.

I love birdwatching and getting close to real alligators and such like, DW is afraid of being eaten by mosquitos.

So we do our own thing during the days, she enjoys the parks more and I enjoy the wildlife more, if we had the Significant other along we would worry they weren't enjoying it.

We have a number of things we both like doing so some days are spent together and some not, works quite well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter