Tips to avoid cranky pre-schoolers?

Eden

DiSnEyTRAVELmum
What are your tips to avoid crankiness with pre-schoolers at Disney?

PACE yourself. Drink plenty of water. Naps!
I would try to make a list of what your preschoolers want to see and do before you arrive and work towards doing those things.
I haven't taken any preschoolers but I am a preschool teacher and I have had parents talk to me about what works and what doesn't.
I can give you some more hints after I think some more.

Do your research before you go. Know which rides they can/cannot ride (due to height restrictions), and let them know in advance in case they had their hopes up for something they won't be able to go on. If there's a question about whether or not they'll like a ride, have them watch a video of it online.
Make a list of all the rides they're really excited about (chances are for preschoolers that you'll spend a good bit of time in Fantasyland and Toontown), and make sure you hit them first thing.
SNACKS!
STROLLERS! (Too much walking can make anyone cranky!)
Lots of drinks and potty breaks as needed.
After lunch, go back to the hotel and rest or swim. You can always come back to the park after everyone is refreshed.
Take advantage of touring plans for kids and of Fastpasses to minimize wait times.

I don't rush my child out of bed to breakfast or the parks. I let her sleep in a little and she seems to be more rested which = a content child.

This is how we have survived with DD

1) We never do rope drop...we get there when we get there. My DD does much better in the evenings so sleeping in is a must

2) LOTS of water and a mister fan (this depends on the season though)

3) Don't go near rides she was too little to ride.

4) Maclaren is your friend. We gave up a stroller at probably 2 at home but not at Disney. Nothing is worse than being at the back of the park if they decide they don't want to walk anymore

5) Do not schedule rides. Make a schedule for which park you want to do when and where you want to eat...leave everything else off the schedule. People who say at 8:05 we are going to ride Dumbo and 8:10 we are going to ride IASW are setting themselves up for failure. They will want to ride Buzz 5 times in a row and if the lines allow...let them do it.

6) Mid-Day break. Our DD always fell asleep on the bus ride back and was wide awake once we got to the hotel. So our midday breaks rarely include a nap...but a quick swim to cool off is super important.

7) Due to the mid-day break, we never schedule a dinner untl 7pm. Now again, this depends on your kid. Our DD...even at 2...would rather be out at night than up early. So we always made a later dinner, got a longer mid day break, and then headed back to the parks about 5-6ish. Dinner would revive her and then she would be up for fireworks no problems.

8) Snacks. Have lots of snack ready. This is probably more exercise than your child is used to in a given day. They will be hungrier than normal but will not like stopping for a big meal (that's wasting valuable ride time!). Bring plenty of small snacks with you to avoid paying Disney prices and ending up with popcorn/ice cream every time they are hungry.

We took DD at both age 2 and 3 and she was less cranky and better behaved at WDW than she ever is at home. The best advice I can give you is to follow your kids' lead. I don't ever think you know how your kids are going to act, or what they are going to like at WDW until you get there for their 1st visit. (For example, my zoo loving, animal loving, child hated AK on our 1st trip and begged to go back to MK or Epcot after a couple hours). Let your kids take time to smell the roses- if there is no line and they want to ride the boat ride in Mexico at Epcot 3 times in a row, let them. Also, take whatever advice you get here with a grain of salt, what works for other people's kids, may not work for yours. After reading these boards, I was convinced that we needed to leave the park and go back to the resort for an afternoon break- BIG MISTAKE- it did not work for DD. We tried it the first day- we had to drag DD out of the park kicking and screaming and all we got was a VERY angry child who refused to nap no matter how tired she was. After about 2-3 hours, we gave up and went back to MK, where she immediately became happy and crawled right in her stroller and went to sleep. That was the only meltdown we had the entire trip. After that we stayed in the parks all day and she just took naps in her stroller when she felt like it. That is what worked for us. Also, be flexible as things may not turn out the way you had them in your head. I thought that DD would walk into MK the first time and be in complete awe of the castle. We would take a couple castle pictures then head straight to Dumbo before the line got too long. Instead my DD walked into MK and immediately saw... Pluto. She just had to get in line to see him, regardless of whatever I thought my plans were. I will never forget how when it was her turn she threw herself in his arms and clutched him like she had been waiting to see him all her life and would never let go. It was a really special moment. She was so excited about Pluto and then seeing Mary Poppins right after him that I don't think she even gave the castle a second glance that morning. Also my visions of the 1st Dumbo ride didn't happen. She had no interest in Dumbo and refused to ride "him" our entire trip; however, she did ride Aladdin's magic carpets at least 5 times.

My first instinct was to say, "Send them with the grandparents!" :rotfl:

But actually, we rarely have crankiness problems with our kids. My top three suggestions are: (1) Bring a stroller for everyone not big enough to ride a big kid ride, unless you don't have enough people to push that many strollers. (2) Pack juice boxes and small bagged treats to combat heat, munchies, and boredom while waiting in line. (3) Emphasize ahead of time that "We have happy hearts at Disney!" And then bring that up every time any crankiness starts.

We did NOT go back to the resort for naps midday, but my kids were fine to nap in the stroller. We did kid stuff in the morning, had lunch, then let them nap while we cruised around places like Epcot, or did shopping.

Also, set limitations on purchases before you go. Give them a set budget and let them shop for what they really want during the week (but make sure you'll have time to go back and get whatever they decide on). Or buy some "souvenirs" before you leave -- a small stuffed toy at the Disney Outlet, trading pins off of ebay -- for "new" things to entertain them throughout the trip.

Before you leave, you can make t-shirts (you can buy shirts, transfers, fabric paints and glitter) to wear on your trip. If they look homemade, you'll get lots of CM comments on them. We also made our own autograph books, which were a HUGE hit with the "face" characters. Peter Pan and Wendy, in particular just GUSHED over them. (We used the format that was featured in a link here last August.)

Try to stick to your regular 'at home' shedule....with sleep being the most important thing to stick to.

Use a stroller....we used one until the youngest was 6.

Carry lots of snacks....most kids can be patient with food in hand.

Take your cues from the kids....if they want to leave the park, then leave. Don't let them get overloaded by insisting on doing the commando tour.

We are another family of trying to stick to home schedule.

We make rope drop or near to it as the kids are up and have had breakfast back in the condo.

We tour until mid to late afternoon, baby slept in stroller when he wanted as did 2.5 year old.

We collect fastpasses (not getting into debates of rights or wrongs of this as I know it is issue some feel strongly about) during the day to use in the afternoon when it is busier.

We headed back to condo for swim, dinner and kids in bed around their home bed time.

They slept well, we are all happy and no melt downs from kids or parents.

Kirsten

What we did when DS7 was 2, was bringing his own stroller, decorated with stuff from home. And a blanket which we pulled over the stroller, so it was easier to block out the rest of the world. He slept a lot in his stroller, so we could do what ever we want. And just baby swapping a lot.

we also brought a Miffy suitcase with lots and lots of toys, books etc to keep him happy during traveling days.

We went when our ds was 3 & then 4 and our big Graco stroller was a god send! He could relax & this past year, he napped for about an hour a day in it instead of going back to the resort to nap. He will be 5 when we go this year & we are taking the stroller again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter