• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips/Strategies for photographing WDW

Spork3127

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

First off, newbie here, but hopefully I'll find plenty of information. If I've posted this in the wrong section, then the mods have my full permission to move it to where it needs to go. I just ask that you send me a message/email of where it's moved to so that I can find it again, but hopefully it's in the right section since I'm looking for tips/strategies.

Anyway, my wife and I will be visiting the Orlando area Dec. 1st-9th of this year. It'll be our first trip to WDW together since we've been together. Long story short, I'm very much a picture taker. I'm far from a professional, but have taken up photography as a serious hobby and love every minute of it. I do strive to get the best shot possible and take a little extra time adjusting the settings accordingly to get the best shot possible. I like to think of myself as a serious hobbyist and use relatively "high end" equipment consisting of a Canon 7D, a couple of "L" series lenses, and a couple non "L" series lenses, but high end, none the less.

I've read several horror stories on line of people being approached multiple times by security concerning their picture taking. In some cases, it was said that the photographer was asked to stop taking pictures because the photo's could "fall into the hands of terrorists" and the photographer was asked for their drivers license so that if the pictures did fall into the wrong hands, WDW would know who to look for. I was shocked to read that this scare/bully tactic was being used. In all of these instances that I've read, all photographers in question had nicer cameras as opposed to disposable and/or point a shoot. My thinking is that these cases are few and far between and as long as I'm respectful of what I photograph, I shouldn't have any problems, but has anyone heard or experienced anything like this? If so, I'd love to hear about them.

Next, my wife and I are planning on riding plenty of rides while in the parks. How do others handle their cameras while on rides? I don't feel comfortable leaving my equipment in an "open bin" for others to accidentally grab my bag, intentionally grab it, or drop a 15 lb purse on it. I know that some rides would be a death trap for cameras, but I'd hate to be limited to either enjoying the rides or taking pictures. The only thing that I can think of would be to rent a locker, store my equipment for part of the day to enjoy the rides, and then make use of the rest of the day and evening for picture taking. Any tips on my concerns would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jason

Security will not confiscate your camera. Period. The stories you describe are urban legends. You can photograph anything you want in the parks or outside the parks with the exception of flash photos or exterior video camera lighting on most dark rides. there are one or two rides that say no photos at all, but they won't take your camera from you.

You can bring your cameras on every ride (we do). On the thrill rides, loop your camera bag strap around your legs or waist or put it in the pouch directly in front of you if there is one.

I find turning the flash off on my camera to take pictures of the fireworks works better than using the fireworks option on my camera. I have gotten some great fireworks pictures this way!!!

I have a digital SLR and I take it on every ride. I can't think of a ride with an open bin where anyone else could get a hold of your camera. The only thing I do special is put it in a ziploc bag if I go on Splash Mountain. We do this with all our phones and cameras. If it doesn't fit in the pouch I stick my leg thru the handle of the camera bag and leave it on the floor.

Unless they were trying to take photos backstage (please don't do this!), I have never, *ever* heard of security giving guests grief over taking photos, let alone any of the other nonsense mentioned.

As for photography tips...

Keep the sun behind you (or at least above you..) when shooting outdoors. If the sun or main light source is behind your subject, you'll wind up with your subject in silhouette.

Try to take shots from different angles and distances. Get down low or up high. Put the subject close to the camera and far away from an interesting background.

I've got great pics of myself on Big Thunder Mtn. I looped the camera strap around my arm and held the camera at arms length and fired away. Got some great shots!!

Go candid rather than posed whenever possible. Emotions are so much better naturally than forced. I've got some great pics I shot of DH while he was watching FOTLK or other shows and he didn't realize I was shooting.

I've never heard of this problem before. I'm out at the parks with my DSLR all the time. I photograph some of the weirdest things from crazy angles. I've crawled on the ground trying to photograph bees landing on flowers, gotten myself in odd positions... and have never once been approached by anyone.

The only time I've heard of a guest being approached was when they were photographing a pool area with young children in the area.

I carry my gear in a Lowepro backpack when I am at the parks.

There is also a Photography board on here. The posters there are very knowledgeable, and may have more tips and suggestions for you.

this may be a silly post based on your level of photography skill but...

pick your spot wisely for parades. I will never forget our first trip to WDW and about a half hour before the AK parade my dd and I picked a great spot, in the shade, sitting on a wall to watch. Perfect right? Problem--the parade started and I took out my camera and went to take a picture of the front with the banner---right into the sun! Couldnt see a thing, pictures were all too bright. This wasnt horrible but from then on whenever I want to take pictures of parades I am very aware of where the parade is coming from and where the sun is.

With a 7D and L-series lenses, I'll skip the basics ;) (As it's assumed that you know the basics already).

For starters, head down to the Photography board for some very good tips and examples. Those guys down there know how to shoot (I like what I've done in general, but they blow me away, of course, I'll be hitting the parks for the first time with a dSLR in a few weeks, 2009-2010 was P&S)

As far as other tips, keep your eyes open and move slowly when able. You never know when some interesting composition will present itself. I also say don't discard anything right away, especially during midday when it's tough to see what you've shot in the high FL sun. Makes more processing and sorting time afterwards, but I'd rather keep a baddie than toss a keeper.

And from what I hear, UWA or just wide angle will be your best friend. The long telephotos are nice for AK (especially if they're fast too), but the bulk of stuff there is great wide angle material.

Equipment details, no experience :(. Though I near the Industry Disgrace and BlackRapid series come highly rated.

The rides should be fine, the only "open bin" is on Kali, and you'd want the gear wrapped for that anyway (even in the bin). Everything else is either bag on the floor around your feet or one specific for your seat.

I'm curious to know where exactly the OP is hearing that security is cracking down on picture taking? :confused3

I'm curious to know where exactly the OP is hearing that security is cracking down on picture taking? :confused3

I can't post the link due to my post count, but a Google search for "photographing Disney world bad experiences." The main article that I read is the link referring to WDW thinks photographers are terrorists, by William Beem. Like someone else posted, I've read a handful of accounts on Flickr as well.

I have heard that a lot of the Downtown Disney shops are not owned by WDW itself, but more like a mall where the shops pay rent to WDW....not sure how true that is though. If that is the case, I can definitely see where there would be more restrictions on photography.

I'll have to check out the photography forum. I must have completely missed it when I was looking through the forums. One of my bigger concerns is tripod use. I've read that as long as it fits in a standard backpack, you're ok. I do a lot of HDR photography for fun and know that between the fireworks and Christmas lights, there will be PLENTY of opportunities for long exposure night photography in which a tripod would be required. If I couldn't bring along my tripod, that could be a big hindrance.

The William Been incident was in Downtown Disney. It was discussed at length in the photography forum. This would be a great place for you to post specific questions:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Do not fear that you will be hassled. To be honest, I haven't read a single incident recently in one of the Disney parks. And LOTS of folks go in there with some serious camera gear.

My tip is to take all your gear on the trip, but pick a couple lenses you expect to use each day. Or get a locker at each park to store your stuff and swap out what you want to carry once or twice a day. This is a great place to store your tripod too if you want to do some serious night or fireworks photography.

Have fun. There's no better place to take a nice camera out for a spin. :goodvibes

I'll have to check out the photography forum. I must have completely missed it when I was looking through the forums.

We are down towards the bottom of the forums list. It is forum #97. You can see that this one is #2 in the address bar. You can just replace the 2 with a 97 and that will get you there as well.

From what I gathered with the Beem guy, he was very confrontational to security (not a good idea) and was not carrying an ID (a REALLY BAD idea). He could have avoided all the conflict if he had just shown his ID and explained what he was doing. Like most things in life, if you throw a bad attitude at someone you get one in return.

I have taken a LOT of pictures at the Disney parks around the world (as can be seen from my website LOL) and have never really had a problem (except Tokyo). I have a 7D also and take various lenses including a 70-200mm f/2.8L which isn't a small lens (but not massive)... about the worst I have ever gotten is a comment about "WOW thats a big lens!" from the security people (at least in the parks... I hardly ever take pictures in DTD and I know the rules are a bit different there).

I also sometimes take a tripod and this has never been an issue either with the exception of Tokyo where they are not allowed (there are a lot of weird photography rules in Tokyo many of which are not obvious or easily understood... for example got yelled at on several occasions for taking a picture while in the *queue* for an attraction without a flash or anything... no signs anywhere and I still scratch my head about that). I know there are sometimes situations where they *might* ask you not to use your tripod; however, that is normally in very busy places where they are worried about people tripping on your tripod and as long as you use common sense you should be ok.

Overall... I would say you shouldn't be worried about taking your camera and equipement into the parks... as far as rides... we normally get a locker where I will store some of the larger items when I'm not planning to use them (for example the tripod) and then carry around my camera backpack... normally there is enough room to stuff it into the ride with you; however, for some attractions (Splash, Space Mountain, etc) it may be better to leave your big bag of gear in the locker and just take your camera and a small camera bag... normally I take pictures on rides so have my camera out which isn't normally a problem... as long as you have a waterproof bag to stuff your camera into for Splash Mountain :P

I have a D40 and several lenses/sb-700 flash. I take it all in the parks with me in a lowepro slingshot 100aw. I have had NO problems with taking this bag on any ride (for Kali River Rapids and Splash Mountain, I make sure all electronics are in ziploc bags, but I think that this precaution isn't even necessary because once I had the camera bag on a boat floor and it got soaked by a wave [oops!] and everything inside was dry). I have never tried taking my tripod into the parks, but I think I will some on this trip. We will be staying at the BWI and we tend to go back to the hotel before night-touring, so I will probably only bring it evenings. I haven't quite decided what to do about a bag for the tripod (I really want to upgrade to the slingshot 102aw which will hold the tripod...). As far as ride photography itself goes--no flash on the dark rides! Some places say no photography at all--but there's always an announcement.

From what I gathered with the Beem guy, he was very confrontational to security (not a good idea) and was not carrying an ID

Yes! Don't take what Beem has posted as a typical experience.

He's has several issues at WDW about not wanting to show ID.

I have taken a LOT of pictures at the Disney parks around the world (as can be seen from my website LOL) and have never really had a problem (except Tokyo). I have a 7D also and take various lenses including a 70-200mm f/2.8L which isn't a small lens (but not massive)... about the worst I have ever gotten is a comment about "WOW thats a big lens!" from the security people (at least in the parks... I hardly ever take pictures in DTD and I know the rules are a bit different there).

I also sometimes take a tripod and this has never been an issue either with the exception of Tokyo where they are not allowed (there are a lot of weird photography rules in Tokyo many of which are not obvious or easily understood... for example got yelled at on several occasions for taking a picture while in the *queue* for an attraction without a flash or anything... no signs anywhere and I still scratch my head about that). I know there are sometimes situations where they *might* ask you not to use your tripod; however, that is normally in very busy places where they are worried about people tripping on your tripod and as long as you use common sense you should be ok.

Overall... I would say you shouldn't be worried about taking your camera and equipement into the parks... as far as rides... we normally get a locker where I will store some of the larger items when I'm not planning to use them (for example the tripod) and then carry around my camera backpack... normally there is enough room to stuff it into the ride with you; however, for some attractions (Splash, Space Mountain, etc) it may be better to leave your big bag of gear in the locker and just take your camera and a small camera bag... normally I take pictures on rides so have my camera out which isn't normally a problem... as long as you have a waterproof bag to stuff your camera into for Splash Mountain :P

Awesome info. I'll likely be taking my 7D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/4 L, 10-22, and 50 1.4 on the trip but will probably only use the 70-200 at Animal Kingdom. My 24-70 is pretty much my walk around....I know...heavy as all get out, but I love it. I'll likely have the 10-22 & 50 in Lowepro belt cases or might cram them both into a mid sized belt case. I'd also like to find a lighter weight bag to house my 7D with 24-70 attached and a couple of filters while in the parks....maybe even something with loops for the belt cases. Then I can store my tripod for most of the day in a locker and I think that would be the best all around game plan.

I have a D40 and several lenses/sb-700 flash. I take it all in the parks with me in a lowepro slingshot 100aw. I have had NO problems with taking this bag on any ride (for Kali River Rapids and Splash Mountain, I make sure all electronics are in ziploc bags, but I think that this precaution isn't even necessary because once I had the camera bag on a boat floor and it got soaked by a wave [oops!] and everything inside was dry). I have never tried taking my tripod into the parks, but I think I will some on this trip. We will be staying at the BWI and we tend to go back to the hotel before night-touring, so I will probably only bring it evenings. I haven't quite decided what to do about a bag for the tripod (I really want to upgrade to the slingshot 102aw which will hold the tripod...). As far as ride photography itself goes--no flash on the dark rides! Some places say no photography at all--but there's always an announcement.

I try to be extremely cautious with my camera equipment. I've worked way too hard to fork over the money that I've had to for it all......lol. :) Hopefully it won't be too chilly for the water rides, but we'll see when we get there. Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter