Tips Please

PinkPrincess

Earning My Ears
We are going in June to DL, I wanted to know some tips that all of you might have for us, we are a family of 8, 5 adults and 3 kids, age 6,7 & 11.. We are staying at the DL Hotel...

Tips on what we need to bring?
Place to avoid?
Great places to eat?
Any $ saving tips, if any excist, LOL???

Just anything would help us!

Thanks​

Sorry, I didnt see this sooner. I was in DL when you posted!

What to bring: clothes that can be layered. It does get cool at night, even in June- so bring jackets! Sun screen. Money saver: buy glow "jewerly" at the dollar store. I recently got a 15 pack of bracelets, that can be conected end to end to make bigger ones- for $1 at dollar tree. The kids had a lot of fun with them at night. Get cheap rain ponchos at Walmart (76 cents) to wear on rides (grizzly river and splash mt) if you dont want to get wet. Bring extra shoes for everyone. Its good for your feet to be able to change shoes!

Places to avoid: I wont eat at Village Haus in fantasyland. It might be better now, but I wont risk it- the food was horrible the last few times I tried.

Great places to eat: My kids and I really like the kids meal at Pizza Port in tomorrow land. The BBQ at Riverbell terrace is pretty good, and the portions are huge- consider sharing meals. Carnation cafe on main street is good for breakfast or lunch. One of the few full service places in the parks. Of all the character meals we like Minnies at the plaza inn the best. The character interaction there can't be beat! White Water snacks at the GC has pretty good food, at decent prices. The kids cheese burger meal is plenty for an adult and comes with a drink.

I'll try to think of some more things, as I wake up this morning.

We're going in June too, and just stretched our vacation out to two weeks so that we can see all of CA. Any more tips for die hard WDWers. Anything that we should keep in mind about the differences between WDW and DL? Who am I kidding-give me any Disney tip you've got...I live and breath Disney. Thanks for any help you can give me and OP.

June is likely to be a big attendance month between summer and the end of the 50th celebration, so plan to get to the park early, 30-45 minutes before the opening time and have a plan of what you want to do. For a 2 day stay I would normally send a runner to Space Mountain to get a fast pass for everyone, while the rest of the group went to Fantasyland for Peter Pan, Dumbo & Teacups. Then regroup at the Matterhorn. Loop around the mountain for the Buzz ride & Star Tours. By now your fast passes should be active. Get new fast passes for Autopia and then go ride Space Mountain. I'd then head for Small World and a quick spin around Toontown. Then a train ride to Tomorrowland for Autopia and lunch at Rocket Redd's Pizza Port. The salads & pizza are pretty good. Then a Monorail ride back to the hotel for some R&R by the pool for a couple of hours. Head to DCA about 3pm. Send a runner to Tower of Terror to get FP while the rest head for the Playhouse Disney Show. Meet up at Muppets 3D, Turtle Talk and then to the Aladdin Show (it's great) and Monster's Inc. Hopefully the FP's will be active now. Enjoy the elevator ride. Now's a good time to catch dinner. Send a runner for Soarin' FPs or if Taste Pilots Grill is the dinner choice head there together. It could also be using a PS for Ariel's Grotto or a walkup like Strips N Dips or Burger Invasion. Then watch the Electrical Parade and head back for the Soarin ride. If it's a warm night you might want to try Grizzly Rapids. At this point there's a couple of options. I'm not a big fan of the boardwalk rides but a lot of people like them, so that's probably where you might want to spend time until DCA closes. Whether you left DCA early or when it closed, head back to DL and try out the Matterhorn again. It's a whole different ride after dark. If they are running Rocket Mountain, get an FP for that also. Now's also great time to do a little shopping. For day # 2 check my next post.

This is going to be the 'wet' & Parade day so be prepared. Start off again early at the rope drop on Main Street. First grab an FP for Indy then to POTC & HM after that Thunder Mountain and on to Splash Mountain. Since your in the area give Winnie the Pooh a quick ride. I thought it was bad, but I'll let you be your own judge. If anybody wants a special sweet treat, try the Tigger Tail at the candy store next door. Now it's back to work. Time for the Indy ride and then the Jungle Cruise. It's probably time for lunch, I'm partial to the River Belle Terrace, but I haven't had a chance to try the Bengal BarBQ (heard it's great). This could also be the time for Blue Bayou if you set up a PS. What ever you choose, save room for dessert as a Dole Whip before the Tiki Room is great. It should be about 2pm now so find a nice shady spot before the parade (due at 3pm). Maybe the guys can hold a spot while the kids ride a FL ride and the ladies shop. Once the parade is over head over to DCA (stop at the Opera House to watch Steve Martin in the 50th Celebration film) to get Grizzley FP and get a spot for the Block Party Bash. After the parade it's river ride time again.

At this point you've covered all my favorites. You can now choose between repeating a ride or trying somthing new. Note that I've left out a couple of park favorites (California Screamin', Mailboomer in DCA & Storybook Boats & Alice in DL). There lots of fun but not must rides in my book.

OP--Have you been to DL before? We took our first trip in Dec. and started off with the 50th Anniversary Tour--got us into the magic of Walt's park, plus got us on several attractions we wouldn't have otherwise gone on that night (Saturday--big crowds). Plus the preferred seating for the fireworks show--beautiful. I cried.
You'll have an amazing time! :sunny:

PS--We stayed at DLH too. Loved it, even though we had a "toilet issue" our first night. Eat at Goofy's Kitchen--great food and really fun character interaction.

Begals Barbeque in Adventureland. They offer counter service with skewers of grilled meats (chicken and beef) and bacon wrapped asparagus, and a grilled vegetable skewer. This was a nice change of regular fast food. We got 3 or 4 and split them to get variety. We made a meal out of them. I wish WDW had this. I looked for it when I went to WDW last week. Just wasn't there.

Also the Red Wagon cart at the end of Main Street before you get to the Plaza Restaurant has hand-dipped corn dogs. Only offered here in this park. They are also sold in DCS In Paradise Pier across from the Zephr attraction.

If you decide you want to do any of the restaurants that take reservations, you can make those reservations 2 months in advance. I'm not sure if Blue Bayou will be open by the time you get there - it's big time $$$$, but the food is good. You could also make reservations for Goofy's Kitchen and Ariel's Grotto.

For the 50th Fireworks, try to make sure you are in the main hub of DL with a good view of the castle - NOT lined up by the shops on Main Street. Being in the hub gives you a much better view of the 50th Anniversary fireworks.

For the kids, the Brother Bear Adventure with all the rope walks and activities is a great way to burn some energy. I'd recommend doing this before going back to the hotel for a nap to wear 'em out a little bit. :thumbsup2

I second the recommendation to see the Aladdin show - it's truly top notch. This is also a good place to duck into in the afternoon if it's warm.

Have a great trip!

DBinMV

1. Bring snacks with you, especially if you have kids. My dds (5 & 8) each had a fanny pack that I stuffed full of snacks each morning. Things like granola bars, fruit snacks, carrots, grapes, and other little things. It was great because when we were waiting in lines and they were hungry, they could just pick out a snack and munch. I didn't have to hear any, "I'm hungry's." Also, bring some water with you, too.

2. Do a character meal. This was something I debated for a long time and finally a week before the trip I decided to do it and I am so glad. The last trip we made we were there for a day and a half and spent most of it chasing characters and princesses. With the character meals you sit and eat and the characters come to you. Not only do you get a good meal but excellent character interaction. We did Minnie's breakfast at the Plaza Inn and Ariel's Grotto. They were both excellent but Minnie's was the best part of the whole trip!!! Well worth the money!

3. Bring a few souviniers from home. This saved a ton in shopping at DL. I found great deals online and locally and stocked up. Then each day I'd give a surprise out and when they asked for something, I'd simply remind them of what they'd already gotten or that I had something waiting for them. We did let each girl pick out on souvinier each, though.

4. Use the FastPasses!!! Why wait in line? Enough said.

5. Have fun!

Love the DLH, if you ask for a "special delivery" they will get the kids an autographed pic of characters, our were the princesses, she loved it.

had lunch at Ariel''s grotto and it was great, good food, great character interaction if your kids are into princesses. We also did goofy's kit, it was good for character interaction, but I'm not into buffett food, so that part was so .so.

Call ahead and request a room. I asked for a "big room" in either the Marina tower or Sierra tower. We paid for a standard room, but were but were upgraded to a pool view in the Marina tower with two queens and a day bed.

Also, at DLh the rooms do not have coffee pots, but if you ask they will bring one with coffee (a must for me in the am)

Get to the parks before the open. Go back to the room and rest in the middle of the day.

most of all remeber it's a vacation and have fun

Red Rocketts has great meals.

McDonalds is across the street and within easy walk for a break at lunch or if the parks close a little early and you eat a late dinner.

Bring: sunscreen, snacks into the Parks, water bottles and refill at drinking fountains, bring packets of Crystal Light (or buy Wal-Mart brand cuz it's cheaper), take Tylenol (or your favorite headache med), bandaids!

If you forget anything go to the very close Target!

Buy items for the room to eat for breakfast.

Buy souvenirs outside the Parks...Character Wharehous or the Mickey and Friends department at the Wal-mart on Euclid

Take lots of photos! they are cheap souvenirs and everyone can participate in deciding themes for the day or locations...or let the kids take them!

Since you are going in June another thing are those water sprayer mister bottles. I know that Wal Mart sold them last year for $5.00. You fill them up and then turn the fan on and mist yourself. They have them at Disneyland for a lot more money. Buy some Disney stickers and you are set!

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. People don't realize when it is not humid you get burned really fast. Also reapply it every 2-3 hours.

Agree with everything else here. Have a great time!

Here are a few tips that I found are great for saving a little time and money
*bring fruit!! there is fruit in the park but it is about 4x more expensive. apples, oranges and grapes keep well. if you keep them in the fridge they are a great afternoon snack!! refreshes you from all of the junk food in the park.
* try counter service for lunch. there is a great place in tomorrow land near the buzz stage that makes good sandwhiches. also there is the clam chowder in a bread bowl in new orleans and chicken fingers in frontier land by thunder railroad.
* buy little snacks like granoloa bars or peanut butter crackers. they are a great thing to eat in line
* if the room has a microwave, buy some popcorn and cup o noodles for a snack. they sell popcorn in the park so this will satisfy that craving.
*go to the dollor store and buy glow sticks and ponchos. you can buy a ton of the glow sticks and we always make cool bracelets and necklaces that people stare at. the ponchos are good for the water rides. i hate walking around with wet clothing
*get there early. take a break in the middle of the day. check out the pool, it is awesome.
*use the monorail to go back and forth to the hotel. they have a sort of fast pass line for hotel guests and you can usually go right up. BUT go to the gate in the morning so you can get that magical feel.
* if you are going thorugh AAA you have a ticket that can give you multiple fast passes at one time.
*make reservations or perferred seating at the restraunts you want to eat at because the lines get long and it is almost impossible to get in to.
* if you want to see the fireworks, which i highly recommend, get a prime spot in front of the castle early.
* bring sunscreen
* drink lots and lots of water. you can go on longer with lots of water. if you drink it early in the day you will stay hydrated for a while
*bring good walking shoes. bring extra socks so your feet will be refreshed with a change half way through
* bring medicine. asprin, bandaids, aloe vera, and any other perscribed medication you need.

overall have fun, stay rested and enjoy the magic :wizard:

PinkPrincess said:
denyd said:
This is going to be the 'wet' & Parade day so be prepared. ??QUOTE]

What is that??

Denyd was recomending certain rides an attractions to do for day one and day two. Day two was going to be the "wet" rides- grizzly river and splash.

The Disney Hotels allow you to bring in your own water. I suggest buying a case or two either at a local store or befor you arrive. My hubby and I always bring in our own water and a bottle of wine for later.. :cool1: We also bring in paper bowels, plastic spoons,and cereal. The only time we eat breakfast out is the Goofys breakfast and the Chip N Dale one. Sometimes we will go to CoCos, but I always order coffee in the AM and hot choc. or OJ for the kids. Hey I need my mud in the morning! :banana: Someone else mentioned bringing in snacks also. Another thing we do to save a little is, on the first day we have already eaten a big breakfast at home, and I bring lunch made from home. Usually when we arrive the rooms are not ready, so the kids are already in their swim suites, so we go to the pool and have our picnic by the pool. This way we only have to buy dinner. I always make up "Goodie Bags" that appear in our room before we go in(hotel staff)- I bring these from home, gathering stuff all year long! Have fun!! :woohoo:

Some meals in the Parks and are quite large...bigg enough for two kids, or an adult and a kid. So check out the people already eating and see if you can get away with ordering less and split meals.

There is a Subway just one block south on Harbor, and on the opposite side of the street. You could pick up sandwhiches before going into the Parks (remember no mayo) and have subs for lunch.

For Chips we bring in Pringles, or Lays, in the hard tubes. (that way the don't get crushed in your bag or locker)

If you don't eat the snakcs you bring into the Parks during the day, they make for a great snack as you make your way back to your car/shuttle/hotel.

Love the tips.... Thanks
ploeb : Cute idea for the goodie bags... We are making the kids bags for the airplane ride...

Keep them coming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter