Tips on not going commando...

mkandk

Mouseketeer
In the past, we've only gone commando. But this trip, we have a vacationer who's got a bad knee. I'd like to keep the walking and standing in line at a minimum. Do y'all have any good tips?

So far, I'm going to focus on getting us there early, and taking a long afternoon break. Also, maybe focus more on shows where we can sit down, and less on rides where we'd have to stand in line. I'm not sure if there's anything that can help with walking to/from the parking lot to the park.

Had to look twice at this post - does 'going commando' mean something else in the US? :earseek:

I'm so sorry but I can't stop laughing...that means something ENTIRELY different in the UK... :rotfl:

The Unofficial Disney guide books have touring plans for seniors which cut down on the amount of walking and criss-crossing of parks so that might be worth a look.

Eloise

Now I know why my MIL keeps saying we're going to see things we've never seen before... :rotfl2:

No wonder ya'll keep going back year after year! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: yes, I'm rolling around in my office. This title definitely got me worried about who would be walking around WDW....and how!! I guess you were using this phrase, "loosely"? :rotfl2:

I think the best thing you can do is get to the parks early. this really cuts down on your time standing in line.

:rotfl: Thanks for the morning chuckle.
AS far as slowing down at the Parks - we did that in April as DH was recovering from pneumonia. We just switched the focus of the trip entirely & split up when the going was too rough for him & he wanted to rest but we didn't. April was food, relaxation & tours.

This coming trip in a couple weeks will be interesting - Just DS (16) & I going & I am recovering from a month long illness/ hospitalization for menegitis. I have no stamina - so we are focusing more on swimming, PI & things with no standing in lines.

It can be done & still be fun! Good Luck & Happy Travels!

I think of commando as pushing everyone all day to see everything. My husband always tries to pull this on us and we always argue because, I won't stay in the parks from sun up till midnight...its impossible for our small children.

I see having PS just plain smart, especially if someone in your party is injured. It's not going commando. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by making PS arrangements, its no big deal to miss them (or give them to someone else, even better - my SIL and neice saw Cinderella during lunch at the castle on a trip because, I called over and gave them our confirmation number as we turned out not going to MK that day).

On a personal note, my 3 year old son is going through a commando phase in the lack of underpands way! He, he, he...

Goofyish said:
Had to look twice at this post - does 'going commando' mean something else in the US? :earseek:

"Going commando" has the same meaning. I also had to look twice and then hesitated to open the thread. Glad I was wrong. Can't imagine doing some of those rides commando. Scary thought! :blush:

I recommend hitting your must see rides as soon as you enter the park. It's when everyone has the most energy. Schedule shows and sit down meals as your breaks. Wheelchair is probably a good idea too, depending on how your friend feels.

DH & I took a vacation to WDW back in January, when he was still very ill and on oxygen. At that time he had limited stamina and needed a lot of down time. We decided on WDW because they are so accomodating of people with special needs.

We didn't do a lot of rides this time, but we saw all the shows, including HDDR, and took many breaks to "people-watch". We had massages at GF and took tea later in the afternoon. One rainy day we just rode teh monorail and visited those resorts for a couple hours. DH needed a long afternoon nap every day, so while he was sleeping i would explore the resort. Then he was good to go for about another 4 hours.

Even though we had a more subdued trip it was very nice, one of the best. I think it was because we took time to literally smell the roses. We were staying at AKL and really enjoyed talking to the many CMs from other countries. There was plenty to occupy us even when we couldn't be up to speed.

My husband has bad knees and hips. (has to have replacements). We plan to get to parks as soon as they open. Sort of push it until 11ish - have lunch, then see how we feel. This is our first time and we want to see as much as possible without making everyone miserable. It is a vaccation-a time to enjoy your family -the rest of the stuff is a bonus. If my husband finds it too difficult, we will do the wheelchair option, but he really doen't want to do that.

Just do what you can and enjoy

mkandk said:
In the past, we've only gone commando. But this trip, we have a vacationer who's got a bad knee. I'd like to keep the walking and standing in line at a minimum. Do y'all have any good tips?

So far, I'm going to focus on getting us there early, and taking a long afternoon break. Also, maybe focus more on shows where we can sit down, and less on rides where we'd have to stand in line. I'm not sure if there's anything that can help with walking to/from the parking lot to the park.

Maybe you should think about renting an EVC.
The parks have rentals (only for use in the parks) but I would reccomend the
off site rental places.That way you use it around your resort also.They will bring the EVC to bell sevices and pick it up.
Care Medical 800-741-2282
Walker Mobilty 888-7266837.
Walker mobily will come and show you how to break down the EVC to fit in your car trunk if you are using a car for transportation.
That will help with the walk to and from the parking lot.
I love using the EVC. I feel more independent and I am not holding anyone in our group up.
Also most lines at WDW are main streamed WC/EVC guests do not get front of line. If using an EVC lets a guest stay longer and have a less painful day it is well worth it to me.

Here are some great reasons to use a WC/EVC
It is *not* easier to use a wheelchair or ECV, but it is better than losing a day of park admission to fatigue and pain. It has nothing at all to do with the lines, in which people who are wheelchair bound often wait longer in the alternative queue than the able-bodied people do in the regular queue.Some people who would do much better if they had a wheelchair go without a chair or ECV thinking that they can pace themselves and wait while other people do the rides and attractions, and don't realize that their very slow walking pace and constant need to sit and rest is keeping the rest of the family from being able to enjoy the attractions at the park at Their pace.

The distances between attractions at the parks and resorts at WDW and Disneyland are substantial for people who have limitations.The benches are hard, the sun is hot, and people get cranky and tired. They have to leave very early. It isn't about lines at all; it is about pacing yourselves between attractions. That is the difference between wheelchair abuse and legitimate wheelchair use -- if you are using the wheelchair to get preference at the attractions, that is abuse. If you are using it to make it possible for people to get to the attractions who otherwise would be physically limited, that is never abuse.

You could always park it and stand in lines if you feel up it.
Have fun!
Linda ::MinnieMo
Only 61 more days

Thanks for all the advice, and I'm glad you enjoyed my gaff. :p

I entirely forgot that we picked DW as our vacation spot because it is accomodating to everyone. I guess when I got started on the planning, I started to panic about fitting it all in. But it really is the atmosphere that draws you back to Disney World, not the rides.

Whoever suggested using the seniors tours, thanks. I'll look at those more closely.

I just may break down & get a wheelchair this coming trip. I tried going to a local festival on Sun & only lasted an hour. I'm good taking it easy, but an hour is too easy.

My father-in-law had knee replacement surgery a year ago, and my mother-in-law is not exactly ready to peddle the Tour de France...so we devised a simple and fairly relaxed itinerary for their trip with us last month.

We hit the parks when they opened, stayed for maybe two hours. We take in just three or four of some of the less intense (and less popular) attractions, then break for an early lunch (11:30 or so) and back to the hotel for a rest.

We'd reconvene around 5 pm for dinner, then take in a show -- Cirque de Soleil one night, fireworks cruise another night. We rarely stayed up past 9:30.

The result? My in-laws were amazed. Though they didn't see everything, they loved what they DID see. They rarely had to wait in line for anything, and returned home refreshed and relaxed. "We were sort of expecting to be exhausted," my father in law said, "cause everyone we know comes back from Disney World wiped out. But we had a great time!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter