Tips on how to handle Animal Kingdom park in August without a midday break?

As other posters have said, hit the spots with AC in the afternoon. FOTLK, Nemo, Dinosaur and ITTBAB. Hit Kali at least once. There are plenty of shaded spots that you can seek out, on the trails or elsewhere, for a respite. And bring whatever you can to cool down. Frogg togs, mister fans, and lots and lots of water.

I love Ak. Here are my tips.

Go early. Not only is it cooler, but animals are up and moving around.
Go to bird show as it is shaded and fun.
Avoid crowded places the make u hot and want to smack some one. Or at least do them earlier. Examples: Asia. It can get really crowded there. Or Africa, which can get truly "Africa-hot"!
Avoid bands. Whose bright idea was it anyway to stick a band in the most traveled area of Africa? Seriously?

Do go to the Dino resturant. As busy as it may seem, the food is decent, there are free drink refills, and it's a pretty big place. Plus nearly all places take TiW cards.

Avoid things like alcohol and caffine since they dehydrate you. Also, there is a little outdoor bar by Tusker house where you can sit, chill and grab some ice cream.

No matter what, take it slow and steady, and remember to be patient. Everyone else is just as hot as you will be. Oh, and since the shops are all open, they are of little help. :(

Do NOT forget your sunscreen and re-apply it frequently. Everyone else will look as dorky as you, but you can be the one without the sunburn! Broad spectrum type. Hat too. Get a big hat. Try to carry as little as possible too - being the pack mule makes you really hot.

I think that covers it. Have fun. Oh, and if you smell something funky by the gorillas, it's not you, it's them. ;) they are spreading scent for the girly gorillas!

I went last weekend and the heat was brutal. The dinosaur queue is nice because even at really busy times, almost all of it is inside. I didn't see it get above a 40 minute wait though luckily. Kali was a very high wait, over 100 minutes most times I looked. So I never did that one. Everest has nice air in part of the queue. A yak and yeti lunch really made the day manageable though!

We got there at rope drop and went straight to dinoland. Dinosaur was broken, so we went to primeval whirl and got to ride twice without getting out of the car cause there was no line. So that was pretty cool with the wind. The spin ride was down and it was way too hot to stand around playing dino carnival games so we went to everest. It was 5 minute wait and we rode twice. That helped keep us cool cause of the air in the queue. Then we went to the best outdoor spot in my opinion to cool off. The quick service by yak and yeti has outdoor covered seating with ceiling fans that actually were very helpful in cooling us off. A good place to rest and drink water or something. Then the maharajah trail, which actually wasn't too bad cause it's very shaded. Lunch at Yak and Yeti was freaking amazing and of course cooled us down considerably. Then we rode the safari which was not at all helpful in cooling off. I actually got hotter on that ride. I mean I'm glad I rode it but holy crap those safari trucks provide no breeze which surprised me. Then we did the bugs life show which wasn't bad for cooling off but it's kinda short so depends how hot you get. The best store with the best air I found was I think it's called the Island Mercantile. It's near the tree or bridge.

Anyway that was my rambling of how I stayed cool in Animal Kingdom. Also I had a paper fan from China that helped a TON. The misters didn't help because the fans weren't strong enough and the mist means nothing in that humidity. And animal kingdom is the only place I saw they were selling the frosty towels. That actually helped a lot because the towel isn't in water, it's soaked in stuff that makes your face tingle and feels good haha.

I went last weekend and the heat was brutal. The dinosaur queue is nice because even at really busy times, almost all of it is inside. I didn't see it get above a 40 minute wait though luckily. Kali was a very high wait, over 100 minutes most times I looked. So I never did that one. Everest has nice air in part of the queue. A yak and yeti lunch really made the day manageable though!

We got there at rope drop and went straight to dinoland. Dinosaur was broken, so we went to primeval whirl and got to ride twice without getting out of the car cause there was no line. So that was pretty cool with the wind. The spin ride was down and it was way too hot to stand around playing dino carnival games so we went to everest. It was 5 minute wait and we rode twice. That helped keep us cool cause of the air in the queue. Then we went to the best outdoor spot in my opinion to cool off. The quick service by yak and yeti has outdoor covered seating with ceiling fans that actually were very helpful in cooling us off. A good place to rest and drink water or something. Then the maharajah trail, which actually wasn't too bad cause it's very shaded. Lunch at Yak and Yeti was freaking amazing and of course cooled us down considerably. Then we rode the safari which was not at all helpful in cooling off. I actually got hotter on that ride. I mean I'm glad I rode it but holy crap those safari trucks provide no breeze which surprised me. Then we did the bugs life show which wasn't bad for cooling off but it's kinda short so depends how hot you get. The best store with the best air I found was I think it's called the Island Mercantile. It's near the tree or bridge.

Anyway that was my rambling of how I stayed cool in Animal Kingdom. Also I had a paper fan from China that helped a TON. The misters didn't help because the fans weren't strong enough and the mist means nothing in that humidity. And animal kingdom is the only place I saw they were selling the frosty towels. That actually helped a lot because the towel isn't in water, it's soaked in stuff that makes your face tingle and feels good haha.
I never heard of the frosty towel. I wonder if it is the same as a frogg togg?

I never heard of the frosty towel. I wonder if it is the same as a frogg togg?

It's pretty different from the frogg togg. It is cotton and much smaller. Here's an excerpt from the website about how it cools:

"We use a natural alcohol and natural menthol mixture. These are the basis of the cooling agents. Natural alcohol is also known around the world for killing germs and bacteria. They open the pores on your skin, and evaporate heat calories from your body. We use tropical smelling Lemon Grass and Citronella known around the world as great natural insect deterrents. We add other Citrus Fruit essential oil extracts to give the towels a more refreshing tropical scent. They are great cleaning agents, and alone with Glycerin in the towels they also soften the skin."

They smell great and tingle from the ingredients so it feels refreshing, at least for a little while. I believe they were 8 bucks.

Haha! It's a polar bear with shades. But I wouldn't be surprised if Disney rebrands it somehow for the parks and adds Olaf lol.

Biggest park...a ton of walking..good broken in shoes...been reading about moisture wicking shoes (and clothes) being really good ..with the heat

My advice would be to book a reservation at a table service restaurant around 12:30 to enjoy some AC and then do Festival of the Lion King after than. A couple of hours in air conditioning can really give your energy a boost!

My advice would be to book a reservation at a table service restaurant around 12:30 to enjoy some AC and then do Festival of the Lion King after than. A couple of hours in air conditioning can really give your energy a boost!
I have a reservation at Rain Forest Cafe at 1:30 and we plan to watch the Lion King Show at 3:00. I wonder how early do we need to arrive at the Lion King Show to get a seat?

The table service meal and the LK show are great. I'd add Dinosaur, ITTBAB and Nemo (even though I usually wouldn't bother with Nemo) before lunch to keep yourself in A/C as much as possible. I'd do Kali after lunch because you get so so wet!

By the time you are done at Rainforest Cafe you can head right over to FOTLK and line up. Just let your server know that you are trying to make it there fro 3:00 and they will do their best to make sure you are done on time :)

The table service meal and the LK show are great. I'd add Dinosaur, ITTBAB and Nemo (even though I usually wouldn't bother with Nemo) before lunch to keep yourself in A/C as much as possible. I'd do Kali after lunch because you get so so wet!
We wont be doing Nemo this trip even though I love that show. We have done it the past two times we were there. What is ITTBAB? I think we will do Kali , we havent done that one in a few years because we dont want to get soaked :rotfl:

If you have young children, check out the play area by Dinoland. There is a "sand" play area across the bridge which is shaded. Adults can sit and relax while the children play.

We wont be doing Nemo this trip even though I love that show. We have done it the past two times we were there. What is ITTBAB? I think we will do Kali , we havent done that one in a few years because we dont want to get soaked :rotfl:

ITTBAB = It's Tough To Be A Bug :) Hope you enjoy your day at AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter