• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips on bringing family to DVC???

tss2

DVC BWV and VB
My family has a trip planned in early Nov. 2002 to BWV and I wondered if anyone had any advice on how to make this trip extra special. We love our DVC home, but it is the first time my parents have been there or to Disney World. Any advice on special things to do would be helpful. Here is my situation:

we have 1 week in a 2br at BWV

my parents ar 67 and 72 and can't walk as much as us....much less than us.....

we plan to make sure we spend time apart to keep us from driving each other crazy since we don't usually vacation together. parents plan to see friends for a day, we plan to maybe start days together and then split up after lunch

Any special BWV activities or things nearby to do?

has anyone done an EPCOT fireworks cruise? is that worth it to be able to see fireworks without waiting for a long time to save a good spot?

Any meals or activities that were great to share?

My family has been to DW several times, but never brought anyone. I'm just curious how this trip will go and figured advice from those who have already done so might help! Thanks for your input!

Special things to do : I think the illuminations cruise is an excellent idea, have not done it yet but it is highly recommended by those who have. Illuminations is one of our favorite things at WDW. A special dinner for us is at the California Grill on top of the Contemporary. Fantastic food and a great view of MK and Seven Seas Lagoon. Time it to be there during the MK fireworks- you can't ask for a better vantage point to watch them. They dim the lights in the restaurant and pipe in the music or you can watch from the observation deck outside. Other fun places for a group are Prime Time Cafe and Teppanyaki.
Since it's your parents first trip, I think it will be important to show them the lay of the land. Prepare them ahead of time as well with a good guide book so they can decide what they want to see an do. Then they can go at their own pace and meet up with you for lunch or dinner.

I wouldn't miss Fantasmic at MGM. Make sure you get there abou 2 hours early or you won't get a good seat. We learned this the hard way!

Your plan of starting together and splitting up is a good one. A couple years ago we had an extended group in an OKW GV that ranged in age from 4 to 60. Nine of them had not been to WDW before. We did EXTENSIVE planning before hand so everyone knew what was available to them and could choose what they were most interested in. We were only there for 5 days that trip, so we needed to make sure the kids did everything they were interested in and the old folks didn't get too "pooped out"!:D

Each evening we planned the following day's activities and each group decided on their schedule. We then attended the things we knew we wanted to do together that day and planned specific times and places to meet. Sometimes this was at the parade or at a meal etc.

Because the group we had with us that time needed to conserve funds, we did one meal plus breakfast at the villa each day. We had each group of people take one day to do the meal. At the evening planning session, the group whose turn it was to cook would say when the meal would be and what was planned. If some were not interested in that or wanted to go out on their own, they could. It worked out great, and we did most of the evening attractions like Fantasmic, Illuminations, Spectormagic, etc. together. We also treated the whole goup to one big meal out at the restaurant of their choice on site.

We had a GREAT time, and no one felt stressed or that they didn't get to do what they wanted to.

We were in the same situation last October. Our family had been to WDW several times, but my parents had never been. This was pre-DVC so we had two room booked at the BC.

We did a character breakfast every other moring and my parents went with us, they really enjoyed watching thier grandchildern with the charcters. The other mornings, we just did a regular breakfast, but they still went with us and then we split up a bit after breakfast. Some time mid-day my mom would call us and ask us what we were doing for dinner, most of them time we would meet up for dinner and then do a night time activity together in the evening. I would highly reccomend illuminations (my mom cried during this) and also Fantasmic, although I wouldn't reccomend getting there two hours early, just do the Fantasmic dinner package, it doesn't cost anything more except the price of food and you have to eat dinner anyway. This way you only have to go to Fantasmic 30 minutes ahead of time.

This worked out well for us, by the way, cell phones or two-way radios is a must. Anyway you do it, just don't stress and have a good time!

Oh, one final note, when I booked our next trip in April, I joking said on the phone to my Step-Dad, "I am booking our trip for April, should I book one or two rooms", he laughed and hung up the phone. He called me back an hour later and told me to book two rooms. My parents bought into DVC on that trip in April.

We are taking my mom and dad to BWV for 5 days. My dad has a back that occasionally is in serious pain, and my mom has had two knee replacements. My dad has ordered a scooter that will be delivered to BWV on his first day and that the company will pick up on the day he checks out. He may not even need it, but they like Epcot (or they did in 1988!) and I bet he will==and the scooters go fast at the parks. If this sounds like it may help you out, check out the DISabilities board.
That said, I have a general itinerary so they can see all 4 parks, but if they crap out, hey, we can go back to the room or they can and we can stay. They are cool with that.
Robin M.

I haven't heard about the Fantasmic dinner package. Could you tell me about it? I'd be really interested in it since our next vacation there will include my in-laws and I think they would like it too.
Thanks

Lars624.... Really all the Fantasmic Dinner Package is, is a reservation at one of three resturants the night you plan on going to Fantasmic, it doesn't cost you anthing more than the normal cost of your meal. You can book this 7 days in advance only and only once you get to your resort. I usually do it when we check in. You ask for a Fantasmic dinner reservation at either Mama Melroses, Brown Derby or Hollywood and Vine. There is a wide range of times you can eat just make sure you have enough time to eat and get to Fantasmic, we usually eat around 5:00. While you are at the resturant, they give you passes to go to Fantasmic. You then go to a special VIP area to enter Fantasmic, by Oscars Garage 30 minutes prior to the start of Fantasmic. There is special seating just for those that have the package.

Enjoy!

I did this a couple of years ago, when against my better judgement, had my parents down to WDW. I don't regret the decision one bit--with older parents you never know if this will be their last "big" vacation. For this reason, I would suggest that you look foward to enjoying this as if it could be their last.

Some of the things I did that worked:

1. I flew down the day before and got a rental car and checked in. The next day I was able to meet them at the airport, able to carry their bags and did not worry about them waiting in line for luggage or transportation. Just a note--my parents would are just too independent to rely on a wheelchair or scooter. It may work for some older individuals, but not in my case.

2. Try to schedule the day to allow for plenty of time to rest. Remember, older folks just don't have the energy they used to and might be embarrassed to say so. I always made sure that there was plenty of unscheduled time for them to do what they wanted to--most of the time they were content sitting in a restaurant and having iced tea or going back to their room for a nap. My stepfather could be content watching ballgames on TV in the afternoon--and I let him do that much to the chagrin of my mother who bitterly complained that he could have stayed home and done the same. (They argue over everything)

3. Avoid disrupting their home schedules. In my case, my parents rise early, have coffee, read the morning paper and go to bed early. I tried to accomodate their schedules and avoiding anything could potentially extend into the late hours. If you are sharing a two bedroom, make sure they have plenty of privacy.

4. Allow time for them to spend with their grandchildren. Our group included four grandkids that were each on their own schedule. They would pair on and off with their grandparents. As much as some of us would not like to admit it, we are no longer the centerpiece of their lives; they get far more pleasure with their grandchildren and seeing our reactions to their wayward behavior.

5. Make sure to get some good pictures. These are terrific memories. Getting our group together for pictures was a form of torture for the picture taker (in this case, me) but it was well worth it after getting home and seeing the pictures.

What I did that was a dismal failure:

1. I took them to the French restaurant. My parents are WWII era individuals who nearly stroked when they looked at the price of the meals. Never mind that all expenses were on me, they still chose the cheapest entrees. My mother has dentures and is on blood thinners and re-read the menu about 10 times before she found something she thought she could eat and then just picked at the food. As a corollary, I made sure that they did not see the price of anything else--airline tickets, room charges, etc. (Thank you Disney)

2. I tried to save time and money and bought them tickets with a connection in Atlanta. No problem for them going down, but we ran into weather issues coming back. It wasn't a pretty sight and if I had to do it over again, I would go for a direct flight on a reputable airline.

All in all, I cannot tell you how many times my parrents thanked me over and over for taking them to WDW. They still talk about the trip. With a little common sense, I think you can have a good time, too.

Terry S-
Thanks for the info!! I appreciate the quick answer. We'll definately make a reservation for the dinner when we check in!

Number one, we would encourage the Illuminations Cruise. We did it a couple years ago on the first night of a trip with friends who had never been to WDW before, and it was a spectacular introduction to the Disney magic, not to mention that it means you don't have to pick a good viewing place and stand there for a long time before Illuminations starts. I would also recommend the Fantasmic dinner package, for the same reason, namely that it means you don't have to get there 2 hours in advance. The seats are NOT in the middle but as near as we can tell, having seen Fantasmic several times from various seats, there are not any "bad" seats anyway.

We had dinner at the California Grill once and just accidentally were there for the fireworks (really! we hadn't thought about it!), and it was fantastic. If you can't get PS there for the right time, Narcoosee's at the GF also has a good view of the fireworks and pipes in the music, so it's a good alternative. Request a window table when you make PS!

We have been to WDW with my parents several times, but this past New Years Week we stayed together at BWV for the first time. I agree that everyone needs to understand in advance that no one will be forced to stay together, and that if we want to split up, it's not a personal attack! One of the advantages of being at the Boardwalk is the convenience of going back for a rest for anyone who needs one, while the more energetic folks keep on at the parks. We also had advance agreement about what meals we would eat in the villa and which ones we'd eat out, and about paying (Dutch treat most of the time).

We've brought other folks to stay with us at BWV, and I think that our having been there a lot helps. We can concentrate on making sure we do all the things our guests want to do, and if we miss something we normally do, it's not a tragedy. And finally, it is wonderful seeing WDW with "newbies"! Like going with your kids for the first time, no matter how old or young your guests are!

Enjoy!

THANKS ALL! :) :)

My fiance and I are planing on taking some family on the trip after our honeymoon. And some of them have never been to WDW and others have not been there since they were kids. They are all in thier 20s. And all the tips in this thread are helpful, now if I can just remember them (and they still apply) in Jan 2004 ;) I may have to touch back on this next year.

We are also getting the group shirts from the Disney catalog. So for Xmas this year they will be getting a shirt, a guide book, and some type of certificate from us informing them the hotel cost is covered. and we are going to have other family members give them disney dollars.

I personally can't wait to share the magic!! and we never would have been able to afford to bring them down and give them the rooms (and space in those rooms) without being in DVC!

Mike

I would definitely recommend the Illuminations Cruise. We were just there in May and did it. It cost $120 and you can take 10 people. We had a great guide named Jodi (She only works one daya week). She was great with the kids and when we were in the lagoon by ourselves, she let the kids steer the boat. Well it was the highlight for all the kids (ages 4, 11, 11, 14). My 4 and 11 year old still talk about it. When you call to reserve (90 days out if I remember correctly) you have the option for just the boat (which is what we did) or you can have food catered on another, drinks, snacks. The cost for that is atrocious. They let us bring our own drinks on (of course as long as they were purchased at disney) and we were in Epcot prior, so the kids had bought popcorn and they had that also. ENJOY!!!! After the cruise we all went to Beaches and Cream for dessert!!

Thank you everyone for the great advice! It will help me lots with my plans. I am definately going to plan an illuminations cruise and fantasmic dinner package. Your other words of wisdom are very helpful since you have done this before with family! And I know this possibly could be my only trip to DW with my parents! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Another vote for the illuminations cruise. If there are not enough of you to fill the boat I know a lot of people will mention it on the site here and fill up the empty spaces, it's a nice way to get to know some other DIS readers and helps split the cost a little. Given the ages of your parents I think this is a REALLY good idea as it will save them hours of standing around for the show and it really makes it a special event.

Being at BWV will give them plenty of chance to take a rest back at the hotel if they get tired in the parks. I think the idea of starting together and then splitting up is a sound one. Both AK and Epcot tend to have things that appeal to different age groups so I think certainly these two parks you need time apart to cover the things you individually like. Maybe not so much MK, IMHO there will be driven by their ability to keep going. Again depending on the ages (if any ) of your kids then I think grandparents REALLY appreciate the chance to do things with the grandkids so maybe you and your partner will get some time to do your own thing, that way it doesn't appear your trying to "shuffle them off" on their own.

The Illumination Cruise is a must. Standing around waiting is the toughest thing on old legs and backs. I suggest The Cape May Cafe Seafood Buffet before the cruise.

Don't give up on the idea of renting a scooter. I did not want to use one until two years ago, before I had both knees replaced. It made getting around The World Showcase very enjoyable. The rental is good all day, and can be transferred to other parks. Because of the crowds, i don't recommend a scooter at MK. Plenty to see and do with short walks and frequent stops. Of course, now I can walk with the young ones, but I wished I had use a scooter sooner.

By the way, last years trip was 26 people in two GVs and one studio - ages from 2 months to 68. Great time, and fun to plan.

Learn from my mistake. We offered to have my parents join us for a trip. They have been to WDW once before. We had planned to buy their airline tickets as a Christmas present. Instead of telling me they were afraid to fly, they just said they weren't interested in the whole trip. Next time, I'll do it differently. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter