Tips on being courteous at WDW

I have to agree about the restaurant behavior. My children (ages 12, 6, and 10 months) are required to use their best behavior in any restaurant! If the baby is loud, my DH or I take him out of the situation. People are paying good money for thier meal and they deserve a nice atmosphere. I can't tell you how many times we have been complimented on how well behaved our children are. The sad thing is that they are just doing the things they should do, saying please and thank you, not interupting, opening the door for someone, etc. If we all took a little time to teach our children proper manners, everyone would be better off.

Now, as far as kids in strollers not going to the parks, I could not disagree more. My DS was 3 when we first went to the parks and he had a great time and remembers most of it. He would not have been able to handle WDW without the stroller to rest in. Also, kids are what make disney so great. Even if it isn't my own child, seeing the look on a child's face when they first see the castle or Mickey is the best part of Disney. I don't have girls, but I love to see the little girls when they see their favorite princess for the first time. That alone is worth the price of admission!

I think if we all just try to be nice to each other and treat each other well, everyone will have a better time.
Katie

that a child who uses a stroller is too young to be at WDW. My daughter was six when we were there last year, and we used a stroller for two of the six days we were there (the last two...live and learn!). WDW is a huge place, and although my little girl is quite an athlete and is extremely active :yay: , little feet do get tired taking two steps to my every one. At six, I do not consider her to be too young for WDW. The stroller was merely there for her to use if and when she became tired.

And yes, I was very cautious and courteous as a "stroller driver".

Incidently, my child would *never* get away with being rude or inappropriate with anyone, not as a long as I witnessed it. Respect is one of the most important things I hope to teach my daughter. As a result, many people comment on her "beautiful manners", despite the fact that she is ADHD and has some sensory issues as well (and that's another good reason for the stroller...helps her to feel safe and secure, avoids unexpected body contact with others in crowded situations, which tends to unduly startle and bother her). :scared:

And with regard to those leashes, although I have never used one with my daughter, I wish I had, especially in crowded airports and the like.

So you don't like the way they look. Would I be a better parent if I let my child run around wildly and become lost or abducted? It's so easy to pass judgment on another person. But you know what? All kids are different. They have different needs. And it's usually the parents who know best what those needs are. If mine happens to need a stroller or a "leash", and that annoys you, well, maybe you'll have the opportunity some day to make a different parenting decision when faced with an identical set of circumstances. In the meantime, could you consider just for a moment that maybe I'm not out to ruin your day, and that possibly I really do have my own child's best interests at heart?:thumbsup2

that a child who uses a stroller is too young to be at WDW. My daughter was six when we were there last year, and we used a stroller for two of the six days we were there (the last two...live and learn!). WDW is a huge place, and although my little girl is quite an athlete and is extremely active :yay: , little feet do get tired taking two steps to my every one. At six, I do not consider her to be too young for WDW. The stroller was merely there for her to use if and when she became tired.

And yes, I was very cautious and courteous as a "stroller driver".

Incidently, my child would *never* get away with being rude or inappropriate with anyone, not as a long as I witnessed it. Respect is one of the most important things I hope to teach my daughter. As a result, many people comment on her "beautiful manners", despite the fact that she is ADHD and has some sensory issues as well (and that's another good reason for the stroller...helps her to feel safe and secure, avoids unexpected body contact with others in crowded situations, which tends to unduly startle and bother her). :scared:

And with regard to those leashes, although I have never used one with my daughter, I wish I had, especially in crowded airports and the like.

So you don't like the way they look. Would I be a better parent if I let my child run around wildly and become lost or abducted? It's so easy to pass judgment on another person. But you know what? All kids are different. They have different needs. And it's usually the parents who know best what those needs are. If mine happens to need a stroller or a "leash", and that annoys you, well, maybe you'll have the opportunity some day to make a different parenting decision when faced with an identical set of circumstances. In the meantime, could you consider just for a moment that maybe I'm not out to ruin your day, and that possibly I really do have my own child's best interests at heart?:thumbsup2

Hopefully you accidently quoted me instead of someone else, because I agree with all of what you said.

I find that common courtesy is not the "norm" anymore, anywhere. Just recently I had foot surgery requiring the use of crutches. I can't tell you how many time, while in the mall, etc., little kids running amock nearly knocked me off my crutches and on to my fanny. The parents would catch up and proceed to give me a dirty look as if I did something wrong.

As far as being more courteous at WDW....try to remember that you want to have just as much fun as everyone else who is there. Treat those around you as if they are on the trip with you and things will go alot smother.

Simple things like...
-cleaning up a table once you are done eating so another family can sit and eat.
-looking down every once and awhile to keep track of little ones (yours and others) and those in WC and EVC as they are not always eyelevel and can get lost in thr crowds.
-smiling at those around you, even if they look like they are miserable. You could be the person to change their day.

A friend of mine said it well to me once.....Always Smile, you may never know whose day you brighten.

Dina Marie

I was at the Magic Kingdom about 2 year ago. I was 4-5 months pregnant with my daughter. I had to use a wheelchair as I had preterm labor (Dr. said it would be okay to go on the trip but to use a w/c). The people that worked at WDW were wonderful but the guests...another story! I was also cut in from of and given dirty looks when I was able to get on rides ahead of others. One time a man even told me to "f - off" as I asked him "excuse me". Not a very nice trip. Being in a wheel chair at WDW can be a difficult situation so please remember to be kind.

Couldn't have said that better. My youngest son likes to run away, especially in new and crowded places. The only two things that I have come up with that are going to keep him safe in Disneyworld is his stroller and a "leash". I know that there are going to be people who don't agree with this, BUT he is not their child and the thought of him being lost scares me more than than the dirty looks I may get.

Also I agree with the posters about children behaving and using good manners. I pray everynight that my sons will remember to use their good manners.

Okay, I have to admit I am sometimes guilty of "mowing" ppl over with DS stroller. But, I promise, I would never intentionally "mow" someone over. My pet peeve is some ppl think I have "mowed" them on purpose and give me the evil eye when I profusely apologize.:confused3 I have been accidentaly hit by strollers/wheelchairs and totally accept the offenders apology!

Another pet peeve is some women carry these big honkin' bags over their shoulders and they hang at perfect level to take a toddler out. I should know, as my DD has been knocked down more than once by said honkin' shoulder bag. Hasn't anyone heard of a backpack??:confused3

I'm always amazed at how many people check their brains at the turnstyles at Disney! :rotfl2:

One more thing.... I strongly disagree with the poster who said kids in strollers don't belong at WDW and "won't remember it anyway". You obviously don't have children, therefore, I will not flame your statements. Maybe my DS2 won't remember his first trip to WDW, but guess what, I will. I will remember watching his face when he sees the castle in the MK for the first time and I will remember watching him run into the arms of Mickey Mouse and I will remember watching him devour his Mickey Ice cream bar. And for those reasons I will spend my money as I see fit and take my stroller bound children to WDW again next year.

My biggest pet peeve is people not getting up to give an older person, woman, children seats on the bus when it is crowded. When my DDs were little, they sat on someone's lap and still do if it's crowded (and they are not "small" girls!), DH still won't sit on the bus. I am amazed with every trip that "gentlemen" continue to sit when women with small kids have to stand. I'm only 5' tall so if I'm not near one of those bars it is a pretty dicey ride for me. My arm is stretched all the way and I almost ended up on someone's lap on the last trip . . . I was tired and not focusing on holding on for dear life. By the way, I did apologize to the "gentleman" who I almost fell on!

Just a note about the "no kids in strollers" --- my oldest DD was 2 1/2 on her first trip and DD#2 was 4 1/2. Strollers were a must. They have great memories of those trips . . . bolstered by lots of photos/videos of our favorite moments in WDW. It's at those ages that they really believe in the magic. I think that's why we enjoyed those trips so much. I still love watching the magic in the eyes of the little ones we see on our trips now. Strollers . . . bring em on!

:thumbsup2
Well said.

Agreed!! We were at MGM one empty morning and a lady in an ECV almost took out some poor man looking up at the hat. He was just standing there minding his own business and she almost MOWED HIM OVER!!! The man didn't even see her coming but his wife and I just looked at each other in disbelief!

I try to be courteous of those in wheelchairs since due to an injury in summer 05 I've been in one plenty and I know what a pain they are, but people driving the wheelchairs/ecv need to be courteous too.

I had to rent one of the ECV's last time because I broke my leg and we had a little baby so my DH had to push the stroller around, not my wheelchair. I just want to say that they can be very difficult to drive around and especially starting or stopping. I also felt very self-conscious in it because it wasn't really apparent anything was wrong with me unless you noticed the Frankenstein-type scar half-way up my leg from the surgery. I think if everyone was just more courteous when some event happens it would be nice--you never really know all the circumstances behind it. :hug:

alright i'm adding one to this. i understand completely that disney is for all ages. however when you have a youngster that doesn't listen to you, please stay away from other humans. i do not appreciate being punched by a 5 year old just to have the parents laugh at the kid, then when i tell the kid that wasn't nice the parents then yell at me for attempting to discipline their child. also if you are standing in line for a ride and your child is actually screaming that they dont' want to go on the ride, there maybe a possiblity that the child doesn't want to go on the ride. I do not enjoy being the lucky person to sit next to you and your screaming child throughout the whole ride, it kind of puts a damper on the ride for me. now i understand that with some of the younger children they get scared and yada yada yada, however when it is an older child lets say 9/10 i'm pretty sure the kid knows when they do or don't want to go on something. I actually tried to help the kid out and say that the ride wasn't bad and he told me to shutup. i felt very special!

I can not believe that this happened to someone else too and don't understand why people allow their children to go around and punch other people.

We were at MGM and just strolling along. This good sized 5 or 6 year old ran up and gave me a good solid punch right in the back. :mad: :confused: Then, he ran back to his family , looked like parents and grands, who were sitting at a table outside a restaurant. They saw what happened and just laughed. I turned around to see where he went and expected the child to be disciplined by them and perhaps receive an apology from them. No way! They all laughed and gave the kid hugs. :confused3 :confused3

I find that the teenagers are the worst though.
Several years ago (pre-kids) my DH & I went to Disneyland in California. On Space Mt there were about 4 teenagers in front of us in our car (they have 3 rows of 2 seats in CA). They were spitting in the air through the whole ride. My DH who is 6'4" kept getting it in his face. He was so MAD! When we got off the ride the kids were laughing until they turned around and saw this big angry guy about to go after them. They took off! Whenever we mention Space Mt that's the memory he brings up and hates to ride on anything if teens are around him.
Fast-forward many years : we took our kids there when they were 4 & 6 (didn't have the stroller issues - only had to use them a few hours a day). My kids & I were waiting to get on Casey Jr. Train and 6 teens w/ 2 little kids cut through the exit gate into the waiting area and not everyone was able to get on train. The CM didn't notice until there were people still left in the waiting area (they only let how many can ride in the area). Not a whole lot to do at that piont but to wait for the next train.
Of the times, we've been to WDW, the attitudes don't even come close to DL. It must be because so many local kids use it more of a hangout - like the mall. I know to stay away from the malls around here on Friday nights - SCARY!!!

. I'm only 5' tall so if I'm not near one of those bars it is a pretty dicey ride for me. My arm is stretched all the way and I almost ended up on someone's lap on the last trip . . . I was tired and not focusing on holding on for dear life. By the way, I did apologize to the "gentleman" who I almost fell on!

Perhaps you could use this to your advantage. That sounds like just the right height to plant your armpit squarely in some rudes guys nose! lol
Unfortunately some people just don't think. My DBF is one of them- I got up on the busses several times to offer my seat to someone older or with children. I actually don't mind standing- makes the bus ride more challenging and therefore more fun- I know, I'm weird. Anyway- if another seat was needed I always had to give DBF the nudge- not because he was not willing to give up his seat, but because he lives in his own "land" inside his head sometimes, esp when exhausted. I really think the CMs should require, rather than suggest that seats go to those who need them, ie carrying a toddler. Some people have never carried a child through a park at closing, stood in line for ever to get on the bus, then had to hold the child the whole way back to the hotel, then carry them back to the room. My arms burn just thinking about it, but a lot of people just don't know the pain and that is not their fault. CMs should speak up.

I find that the teenagers are the worst though.
Several years ago (pre-kids) my DH & I went to Disneyland in California. On Space Mt there were about 4 teenagers in front of us in our car (they have 3 rows of 2 seats in CA). They were spitting in the air through the whole ride. My DH who is 6'4" kept getting it in his face. He was so MAD!

I almost wish that had been me- I have a horrible stomache and strong gag reflex- that would have made me puke- and I would have made darn sure that those kids were wearing it. I have incredible vomit control. Sorry this post is gross, but so were those kids. That is just unacceptable.

While being in WDW makes us many of feel as if we've left the outside world behind us, I think we all (at one time or another) need to be reminded that our manners & brains need to come with us! ;)

i will apologize in advance because i know this is going to make peoples hair stand on end...but,

people with strollers do not automatically have the right of way. i know it's a long day and you want to get somewhere but so does everyone else,,,before jutting around the corner, or stepping around the crowd, please look both ways, and if you do run over someone's feet with your stroller, especially if they are wearing crocs, apologize, it's disney, no biggie....we can all get along.....

this was the biggest complaint i had, my wife and i are very courteous, i.e. if we need to get past someone in the grocery store and cross their line of site to product we say "excuse me" "pardon me",,,i hold open door for people 10 steps away, i've done the mall stretch, holding open the both sets of doors with arms and legs.....,,,,,

i will apologize in advance because i know this is going to make peoples hair stand on end...but,

people with strollers do not automatically have the right of way. i know it's a long day and you want to get somewhere but so does everyone else,,,before jutting around the corner, or stepping around the crowd, please look both ways, and if you do run over someone's feet with your stroller, especially if they are wearing crocs, apologize, it's disney, no biggie....we can all get along.....

this was the biggest complaint i had, my wife and i are very courteous, i.e. if we need to get past someone in the grocery store and cross their line of site to product we say "excuse me" "pardon me",,,i hold open door for people 10 steps away, i've done the mall stretch, holding open the both sets of doors with arms and legs.....,,,,,

I completely agree, and I think that's the reason why I have such a bad taste in my mouth concerning strollers. In my hundreds (no kidding) trips to Magic Kingdom, I've become so bitter towards these parents who think their children and their stroller can run over anyone like they're more important. That's why I've come to the mentality of "no strollers" because so many people complain about them and the people who use them. Now if everyone was a little more polite in their stroller usage, maybe I wouldn't have such an attitude towards them. And its a sad thing that most parents act like that, and the polite parents are in the minority.

I completely agree, and I think that's the reason why I have such a bad taste in my mouth concerning strollers. In my hundreds (no kidding) trips to Magic Kingdom, I've become so bitter towards these parents who think their children and their stroller can run over anyone like they're more important. That's why I've come to the mentality of "no strollers" because so many people complain about them and the people who use them.

Ya know, if we got rid of all the cars on the road it sure would be nicer too....maybe if we just had stroller government regulations....

*WARNING* The above message is sarcasm.....not a real opinion. If this were a real opinion it would be followed by detailed instructions on who to contact to enable such regulations...we now return you to your regular scheduled thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter