TIPS- How much

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by staffieri, Aug 4, 2013.

1. staffieri

staffieri DIS Veteran

How much are tips for a seven day cruise? What can you tell me about tips?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. precious2200

precious2200 "I give myself very good advice. . . but I very se

I think it's around $12 per person per day for your room steward, Waiter, Assistant waiter, and Head Server. So for our family of 5 for seven days is around $420 for tips.

4. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

This should link you to it.

5. the_bUg

the_bUg Mouseketeer

You may want to bring a little cash over and above for tips as well. Room service, while it is free, is a tipped position, so you will want some cash to give to the room service person. As well, you may find yourself moved to increase the tips for your room steward or dining room server.

More important than tipping cash to your steward or server, is giving them a positive review at the end of your cruise on the comments card. Presuming they deserve a positive review, mention them by name and country they are from. DCL employees who get positive reviews from guests receive rewards in the way of extra time off, special perks, etc.

DCL employee's work VERY long days and they work very hard to ensure that you have an enjoyable cruise experience. In my view, they deserve the best I can give them.

6. staffieri

staffieri DIS Veteran

It looks like to me. per person total for a 7 day cruise is $84.00. Is this correct? And do they auto charge you? Thanks so much for all your help.

7. cris0809

cris0809 Might be why the rum is always gone

Yes, $12 per guest per day. $84 for a 7 night cruise.

They will be charged to your onboard account automatically. You can adjust tips at guest services if you feel someone is deserving of more. Or when they deliver the tip envelopes to your stateroom on your second to last day you can add cash along with your pre-paid/pre-printed slip and hand it to the person with a thank you. :)

8. disneywonderfun

disneywonderfun DIS Veteran

Or you can go to guest services to lower the tip amount as needed. Just saying. It does happen where service sometimes does not reach the level of the customary and usual amount.

DWF

9. WanderlustNZ

WanderlustNZ DIS Veteran

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread, but how do people calculate their shore excursion tips?

I'm doing a Bernards Tour at St Martin and the Champagne Catamaran at St John. On this second tour I wouldn't even know who to tip (there will be multiple crew on board the Catamaran) let alone how much to tip.

10. jrabbit

jrabbit DIS Veteran

For the DCL Cruise Standard Tips are $12/guest per day.

So 4 guests on a 7 night cruise the total will be: $12 * 4 guest * 7 nights = $336

As far as tipping on Excursions ... I don't have a "good/standard" amount. But for the catamaran trip, they will probably have a crew tip bucket (or two) and they will pool the tips among the crew (usually that's how the "boat ride/snorkeling" excursions have worked for us in the past.

11. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

Typically we tip the driver and/or guide $5.00 for a 1/2 day tour for both of us. Sometimes more (if the guide/tour was really exceptional). We have no tipped (particularly on an excursion that the guide - whose English was really unintelligible - basically sat in her seat at the front of the bus and read from a script in a mumbling sort of ramble).

12. Nini05

Nini05 Earning My Ears

Prepaid gave extra to our server and the room boss who helped us with grand with allergies. Our drink hostess so slow. Dessert would be finished before we got our coffee.

13. queendarvet

queendarvet Mouseketeer

We gave our room steward, server and assistant server extra cash with the tip envelopes. They were outstanding and really made the cruise just that much better. We gave the head server a much smaller additional tip since he didn't spend much time with us but concentrated on the larger tables (it was just DH and I at our table). The crew on the Wonder was exceptional! They work extremely hard but always would stop to say hello and offer assistance. We made sure to mention particular crew members on our comment card at the end of the cruise.

14. GrumpyPrincess75

GrumpyPrincess75 Running to be a Princess in 2011!

We did the Catamaran excursion last week. They hold out a big tip jug at the end for the two helpers. The captain explained that the two helpers work for tips.

15. santam01

santam01 Earning My Ears

Do the tips change if your in Concierge? Im not sure if its a group or still only one stateroom host. Any input of past concierge cruiser would be great.

16. Dug720

Dug720 SQUIRREL!!

The basic tip amounts stay the same in concierge.

HOWEVER, they do not include your concierge hosts or the (in our case) girls who tend the bar during the happy hours in the lounge. I think we gave the girls $20 each and the concierge host trio $150 (we were on a three night and didn't use the team for any requests, but did enjoy talking with them and hanging out in the lounge) - but I'm not 100% sure on that last amount. I know it was at least $150.

We also had what appeared to be a second room steward, though we didn't get an envelope for him. We didn't know if he was technically assigned to the starboard side and our assigned one to the port and they just decided to work together or not, so we opted to tip the guy who wasn't our assigned one but we saw as much if not more the same as if he had been our steward.

Hope that helped and wasn't too confusing. :)

17. su_A_ve

su_A_ve DIS Veteran