• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips from owners who have rented out their points

trenty

DIS Veteran
I am going to be renting some of my points to a co-worker. I have a contract (found it online) and we agreed on a price. Just looking for tips from owners who have rented their points in the past.

Make sure they know what they're getting, and that they don't get other discounts, shouldn't be trying to wheedle upgrades, etc. etc.

I am going to be renting some of my points to a co-worker. I have a contract (found it online) and we agreed on a price. Just looking for tips from owners who have rented their points in the past.

Make sure they understand the cancellation policy and that cancelling within 31 days prior to arrival throws your points into holding.

#1 make sure you are using a contract and that they understand the ramifications of cancellations, etc., payment schedule and no refunds. #2 lack of daily room service

Thank you all. I have discussed all this with her, and most of it is in the contract.

Question - I have a February use year. I am using points from 2017 to book an April vacation. Should the points go into holding, when would they have to be used by? Is it Feb 1 of 2018?

Thank you all. I have discussed all this with her, and most of it is in the contract.

Question - I have a February use year. I am using points from 2017 to book an April vacation. Should the points go into holding, when would they have to be used by? Is it Feb 1 of 2018?
Yes.

Please remember if your points go into holding you can only use them for booking up to 60 days out. They are no longer valid for 11 or 7 month booking windows.

Request payment in full at time of booking (or if in installments be sure all payments are made at least 60 days out)

Request payment in full at time of booking (or if in installments be sure all payments are made at least 60 days out)
Don't mess around- I require 1/2 non refundable deposit within 3 days to my PayPal account then they have 7 days to agree to contract and pay the other half non refundable. I on occasion allow a little more time for final payment. If it is a friend I trust a little more flexible but not much- don't like to do business with friends!

You the owner have to make their DME reservation and you can add their room requests. You also have to add the DDP and pay for it if they want it.

You the owner have to make their DME reservation and you can add their room requests. You also have to add the DDP and pay for it if they want it.
This is not true anymore for DME. I have a link that renters can use and enter in all of their airline info. The tags get sent directly to them. The renters do all of this themselves.

This is not true anymore for DME. I have a link that renters can use and enter in all of their airline info. The tags get sent directly to them. The renters do all of this themselves.

While the link may work, per MS and the VM announcement when calling DME, DVC DME requests should be made with DVC. I think that it's the only way to charge back the cost of DME to DVC bookings.

While the link may work, per MS and the VM announcement when calling DME, DVC DME requests should be made with DVC. I think that it's the only way to charge back the cost of DME to DVC bookings.
I have personally tested this link as a renter. It works. No need to go through DVC.

I have never had an issue. My policy is that, once it is booked, it is theirs. I am not a travel agent so, they should KNOW they want to go.... Sounds harsh but, eliminates any confusion. Best to do that up front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter