Tips for what to bring and do!

sherriepaul

Earning My Ears
Okay I have been reading threads on here for almost a year now. In the past I have read some really helpful threads filled with tips and things not to forget to bring with you. Of course now that I'm less then 6 months to my family's first trip I can't seem to find them. So I will begin again!

Some tips I read:
+Take a picture of the back of your photopass card, in case you lose it.
+Bring a spritzer fan into the park with you.
+Bring moleskin with you to put on blisters!
+Lots of sunscreen
+Bring your favorite products in trail size/samples so then you don't have to bring them back with you!

Can you help me and add a few more please?!?!

Fanny packs for kids, any idea where you can get those anymore?

I actually found ours at a garage sale (and it's Disney Themed) and another at Goodwill. I don't see them around much anymore and these are where the old ones end up... besides they are only a buck or two this way!

We are talking our first trip in August...my kids aren't fond of fanny packs especially since I can only find Princesses, lol, so I found these smaller type black backpacks for my boys ages 7 and 9. They were in the luggage sections and are big enough to carry bottle of water, autograph book, and a couple of snacks or whatever they wish but still small enough not to be too heavy.

That spritzer fan is going to be a godsend. You should keep it half full to keep your load lighter because you can always easily fill it in the washroom. I had a Disney one that I kept half full and it was just too heavy to carry around. I emptied it to be about 1/4 full and I didn't even finish using it!

A small bottle of hand sanitizer and wet naps is a good idea.

-Flashlight(to see maps at night)
-Snacks(so you don't have to pay high park prices always)
-Hats
-Sunglasses
-A baggie to hold electronics that can't get wet
-We are bring a washcloth each for various uses. It rains alot so this could be used for wiping off a wet ride's seat, or wet it by using the water fountain just to cool us off!

We bring our own water shoes (from Lands' End).

Also, if you are fair skinned and want extra sun protection, a Rash Guard shirt from Lands' End is nice, too.

Pocket size camera. Leave the DSLR at home.

Washcloths are a great idea and the flashlight......hadn't thought of that one!

Keep them coming, please!

Things that were very helpful and will be bringing again. I originally found these items on a thread here.

1. Over the door shoe holder (plastic kind that has pockets, you can find them at Wal-Mart or any store like that). We put it over the closet door and kept things like toothpaste, bandaids, brushes, combs, change, small treasures from the day etc. This saved so much room in bathroom and also kept things organized! Made it much easier when packing to go home, we didn't forget anything.

2. Pop up hamper (also can get at Wal-Mart etc.). Kept dirty clothes out of the way and if you want to do laundry you can just pick it up and take it to the laundry machines in the hamper. It takes up very little room in the suitcase, folds flat.

3. Fabric softner sheets. These were great in the drawers of the dressers at the hotel and in the closet. Also, if you bring home any dirty clothes, throw a few in the bag so it isn't such a bad smell in the suitcase on the way home. It was nice after a hot day in the park, to be refreshed with a shower and have everything smell nice and fresh.

4. Disposable ponchos. We found them at the dollar store, they are great for the water rides, or surprise afternoon shower. Then you can just toss them and not worry about it. Also great for covering strollers in a downpour. They do sell Disney ponchos at the park, but I thought they were a little pricey, and then your stuck toting around a wet poncho all day if it stops raining. Not to mention standing in line with everyone else to purchase one when it starts to rain.

We are doing spray bottles instead of mister fans. They are cheaper and accomplish the same thing essentially. My mom suggested it b/c she had done it, so I decided she was right! Sponges cut up, soaked in dishsoap, and set out to dry to wash mugs out. Purex 3 in 1-I refuse to do laundry on vacation, but I am bringing them just in case I become desperate b/c we will be there for 11 days! Several pairs of Crocs, tennies, and socks (searched everywhere for a pair of socks at Disney on our last trip, and could only find fuzzy ones. Who wants to wear fuzzy socks when it's 80 degrees?). Bodyglide to AVOID the chafing and blisters. Bathing suit coverup so no one has to watch my jiggling on the way to the pool. I am not a person who likes to take my whole house and home on vacation with me, so I keep it to the bare minimum.

I have been to Disney twice with my kids...I scoured this board for tips and was really OCD about all the tips! The ones that ended up being really useful were:
~ Packing each day's outfit in one large ziploc bag, including the undies and socks...this made the early mornings go much smoother.

~ Having a waist-pack for each kid to wear with their own handi-wipes, fruit roll-ups/other quick snacks, water bottle with holder, etc. made my pack lighter.

~ Using plans from touringplans.com faithfully, (including the fast-passes when recommended) had us waiting no more than 10 minutes for any attraction, even on very busy June days. We frequently passed long lines of people waiting in the non fast-pass lines and felt like VIPs that had special knowledge, but just utilized a service that anyone can use, they just don't! Silly people!

~ Glow sticks/bracelets/necklaces from the dollar store that I brought with us to the Fantasmic show saved lots of money...they sell fancy glow toys at the fireworks shows and the kids feel "left out" if they don't have something that glows...mine didn't care that they were dollar store toys.

~ a couple of washcloths in a ziploc baggie to wet in the bathroom felt REALLY good on our faces when it got hot.

~ Bring your own rain ponchos that are clear so your own clothes color shows through, or ones that are non-yellow, because I think Disney sells yellow ones and everyone looks the same.

~ Bring your patience and remember to be kind...I witnessed many parents being crabby to their kids and to others...its like they spent all this money and wanted to force a good trip to happen. Take a break midway through the day, let the kids have a short swim and a nap to refresh, and go back to the parks at around 3pm. You'll be amazed how their (and your) attitudes improve!

Ziplockl bags to put cellphone, cameras, and other things you dont want to get went on water rides in. You can also use them for left over treats :)

Also, extra pair of socks saves wonders!:thumbsup2

Ship food/water/snacks to your hotel ahead of time! This saves you wonders of money and aviods you buying things around the area or worse, in the park!

Take the lables of all bags. You dont want people identifying your camera bag, etc You can never be to carefula bout your stuff getting stolen, even in teh Happiest Place on Earth!

If you have kids or get board easily download some fun fact apps on your phone, print some out to bring and share, or buy a small handle held game like a yatzee (spelling haha??) But these work wonders in lines!!!popcorn::

WDW doesnt take checks so just leave them at home!!

Hope this helps :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter