• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Tips for waiting in line

One trip I brought sticker paper doll books (Dover Little Activity books). I saved them for the times when we were waiting in a holding room (places like Mickey's Philharmagic/Turtle Talk) as opposed to consistently moving lines but they were a nice way to pass the time.

One thing that worked for me but may not work for everyone is to set expectations before you even get to Orlando. Things like "We're going to have to spend time waiting in lines, but that's how we get to see everything. If you get tired of waiting in lines, we'll be able to take a break, but you won't get on as many rides."

I have brought some of the cards from Disney's Trivial Pursuit in a zip lock baggie, and asked questions. This also helped when waiting for Fantasmic! Other people around us enjoy listening, or even playing along.

Eta, and snacks - definitely!! :)

We stole this idea from a young couple in line for the Disney Visa Character Spot, but the "Heads Up!" app is GOLD if you're kids can read.
I'm pretty sure that app is most often purchased by people standing in line. We saw folks playing in line at Epcot, and I'm sure six other families purchased the app after watching us play in line.

One thing that worked for me but may not work for everyone is to set expectations before you even get to Orlando. Things like "We're going to have to spend time waiting in lines, but that's how we get to see everything. If you get tired of waiting in lines, we'll be able to take a break, but you won't get on as many rides."
We always joke about the lines on the way there. Waiting to check backs; waiting for security; boarding the plane, waiting for DME, checking in, waiting for the bus, bag check, and the tap-stile. That's eight lines we waited in before we even got to a ride. We chat about how we're just warming up, or practicing waiting in line.

Luckily we never really needed anything to distract the kids. They're 9,7,5 and 4. When we entered the parks we would grab at least 4 maps. The kids would look through those sometimes while waiting.
The lines had a lot of stuff to look at and keep them pretty entertained. It was our first trip though so it was all new to them :) Good luck!

One trip I brought sticker paper doll books (Dover Little Activity books). I saved them for the times when we were waiting in a holding room (places like Mickey's Philharmagic/Turtle Talk) as opposed to consistently moving lines but they were a nice way to pass the time.
Another great idea!

My grandma always used to play the ABC game with my cousins, sister, and me in the car. It would definitely work anywhere. Each person takes turns going through the alphabet. You have to think of a name, place, and food that starts with whatever letter you get.

Example:
Person #1: Hi, my name is Abbie, I live in Alabama, and I like to eat apples.
Person #2: Hi, my name is Brandon, I live in Buckingham Palace, and I like to eat bread.
Person #3: Hi, my name is Charlie, I live in Chicago, and I like to eat cheeseburgers.

You get the point.

It really does pass the time with kids.

What about a guessing game? I just thought of this one. You could call it something like, "Where's Mickey?" One person chooses, in their head, somewhere within that theme park that Mickey is. Each person gets two guesses and has to move on. You'd want to start with the main "land" and then try to guess within.

Let's say I picked that Mickey is on the Astro Orbiter.

Person #1: Fantasyland? Main Street?
Nope!

Person #2: Adventureland? Frontierland?
Nope!

Person #3: Tomorrowland?
Yep!
Person #3: Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin?
Nope!

Person #1: Space Mountain? Cosmic Rays?
Nope!

Person #2: Astro Orbiter?
Yep!

That person wins and gets to pick where Mickey goes next.

I tend to be able to think this stuff up pretty easily. It's all part of my teacher super powers.

Oh, pipe cleaners. That's exactly the kind of idea I was looking for!

That was going to be my reply but glad I looked through the responses! Yes, these are good for the kids because they can bend and turn and play with nothing that hurts or offends anyone else and if they lose them, well, that's about a nickel out of your pocket. Go the a dollar store and get a pack and take about ten a day with you. And - they don't break!

And - um, well, *cough*, adults like them too.

Person #2: Hi, my name is Brandon, I live in Buckingham Palace, and I like to eat bread.
Brandon clearly needs to meet Marie, who lives in the Palace of Versailles, likes to eat cake, and has no patience for silly commoner games :jester:. Probably over the head of most kids, but sometimes I free associate.

We stole this idea from a young couple in line for the Disney Visa Character Spot, but the "Heads Up!" app is GOLD if you're kids can read.

It's basically the game "Headbandz", but on a phone, iPod, etc. A word appears on the screen, and one person holds it up so everyone but herself can see it. The others then try to give clues so the first person can guess what it is. Sort of like verbal charades.

They have a ton of categories, too, including "Disney characters".

We tried the Heads Up app at first but eventually settled on the simpler/technology free 20 questions with Disney characters as the topic. Would probably only work with older kids though.

Another vote here for Heads Up. My older daughter and I can play that for a long time.

She also likes to play HayDay. It is a fun, free, farming app (gotta love alliteration).

For the little one, I show her Mickey Mouse Clubhouse videos on YouTube. She also likes Mickey Shorts, Caillou episodes, and Disney parade videos. Sometimes I show her videos that I took of her and her sister. She loves to watch videos of herself. Sometimes we just go thru pictures we have taken. I literally have hundreds of photos on my smart phone.

This technology method works much better when I am with only one child. It is more challenging with both because they both want to hold the phone.

We also use snacks to keep them occupied.

We like to look at the park maps and talk about what we are doing next. We also like to talk about our day so far and look at the pictures we have taken.

We play a lot of games like I Spy, 20 questions, and our own not so gross version of 'Would You Rather'. We have already bought a couple of apps for Hidden Mickeys and Disney Trivia for this upcoming trip.

I love the idea of pipe cleaners and the Heads Up app. I just saw Heads Up on the See Ya Real Soon vlog and thought it would be great for lines! Thanks for starting this thread and for all the ideas that have been shared.

Look at pictures, talk, etc. There's enough in the queue and enough at Disney to really take up a lot of time without having to use outside material. Heads Up is a valuable app. Pipe Cleaners are also nice.

I am one of those people that advises against bubbles. They're annoying in small spaces with so many other people and some people have a reaction to bubble soap. I have a very mild reaction to it but I would be plenty aggravated with a family blowing bubbles in close quarters.

We've also had good results with Heads Up. I'll tell you what doesn't work is threatening not to get Dole Whips. He knows we won't follow through with that one. <I was going to insert a dole whip emoji right here but was shocked to see that we don't have one. Mods, fix that right now.:laughing:>

This would be an ideal situation but I want to be prepared in case they get bored or cranky.

Me too! We were also lucky with Kady, but the little one we are bringing has never had to wait in lines, has never been in this environment, and has the attention span of a gnat...which is slightly longer than her mother! LOL!...............and I want to make sure that we harness all that energy before she and her gynormous crystal blue eyes and huge smile are not enough to amuse every one in her path.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter