Tips for travel from DL to SD Zoo & Legoland

tdk316

Mouseketeer
I've driven in LA quite a bit (and am from a major city so traffic doesn't really scare me) but am wondering if there are any tips/tricks for making the trip from Anaheim to SD Zoo and Legoland? We'll be going two separate days (one each place) and will have a rented minivan. There are four of us, boys are 5 & 7.

Best times to leave in the AM? Any restaurants we have to try on the road? Things to avoid? Thanks many! :drive:

Try to avoid the main rush hour times 7-9 am, 4-6 pm and take advantage of the car pool lanes. Should have no problems. If you have time take one of the beach routes (Hwy 1/101 - I think).

Personally I would take the 5, not 1/101. If you take the 1/101 you will be stopping at stop lights all the way there and back in every town you come to. Take the 5.

we go to legoland every year from disney. we stay right across the street on harbor and take the i-5 (i think thats what its called) straight to legoland, carpool lane till the exit. legoland usually opens at 10:00am when we go, so we leave our hotel around 8:30am and make it there about 10-20 minutes before opening. we usually go on mondays and thursdays and have always arrived before opening. we went on a saturday once with legoland opening at 9am left at 7:30, there was an accident so we ended up getting there at 9.

when we did the trip down to san diego (we stayed overnight there so we could do the sea world and the zoo) I think we left our hotel around 8 and got there around 10.

there is traffic, but once you hit a certain point it opens up. unless of course there is something going on or an accident. we have always been fine with leaving an hour and half before opening and still being able to get there before open.

Going to Legoland should be ok unless you go during rush hour. The SD Zoo is downtown though, and is subject to more traffic back ups. SD traffic really is not nearly as bad as LA traffic, but rush hours do back up every major freeway at certain points

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter