Tips for things to do outside of the 4 parks!

disneyhockeymad

DIS Veteran
My parents, my brother and I have booked to head back to WDW next September :banana: but because we've been a few times before and my parents consider this as our "last family trip" (for a little while anyways, my brother and I are both "grown up" now!) my parents really want to experience things outside of the parks. They'd still love it to be on Disney property, but just something that's not attractions and what not.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we could do? I'm looking into things like taking a boat out on the lake etc so anything like that would be appreciated!!

Since we've been to the World so many times(DH, DD 14, DS 8 and me) we love to explore. check waht the Boardwalk has to offer and plan on having dinner there. At night is spectacular! you can arrive by bus or water (my fave). Transport through water is the most calm and lets you view things in different perspective. Explore them all! Plan on going to La Nouba at DD. Consider visiting other resorts to have pictures taken. Just go a different way, not everything is in the parks. Also, take a tour, I recommend the Segway tour at Epcot it will give you a different glimpse of what you've already seen. Have fun!:wizard:

Take the boat from Downtown Disney to Port Orleans resort and take a walk around the grounds it is a very nice area,if you are there towards the evening check out the entertainer there I heard he is really good, I think he is near the food court so you could plan a snack or maybe dinner while you are there.
We have always wanted to try Fantasia Mini golf I think thats the one with real grass it always looked neat.

If you have a car available, on a sunny day go to the Team Disney Building (which is across the street from Planet Hollywood) and tell the Security Guard you want to see the Sundial. You can go inside the World's largest functioning sundial. For people with any science interest it is something interesting and unusual (and free).

If you have a car available, on a sunny day go to the Team Disney Building (which is across the street from Planet Hollywood) and tell the Security Guard you want to see the Sundial. You can go inside the World's largest functioning sundial. For people with any science interest it is something interesting and unusual (and free).

Yes Very cool building indeed. Closed on weekends, I believe though?

If your family is into the golf at Disney is Excellent and makes for a fun and active couple of hours. I always try to sneak in at least 9 holes with my boys every trip.

But still at Disney... We like going to resorts and checking out the interior designs and specialty experiences. It is fun to ride the boat and monorail to resorts and look around if you are into that sort of thing.
Animal Kingdom Lodge has outdoor areas where you can view animals...
I think it is just fun to see all the decor and sample things from the restaurants, cafe, Fort Wilderness has a lot to offer.
I am amazed at all the things you can do on property outside the parks.
One time we booked a dinner with an imagineer. It was great.
As far as outside there are other parks of course and lots of mini golf places.
I like exploring to. We have so much fun exploring. I have heard lots of cool stuff about fun stuff outside the parks on podcasts... maybe check the archives.

I have gone to Disney many times and on some trips never even go in the parks. Just visiting the hotels is fun. Go to the Grand Floridian and order a pizza to go from the counter service restaurant, then sit on the beach and watch the lake. Also a great place to watch the fireworks at MK. Definitely rent a boat. Watch the geyser at Wilderness Lodge. Eat at Whispering Canyon in WL (make a reservation) - this is a definite must, very entertaining meal. Play tetherball on the beach, ride the horses, rent a bike at Fort Wilderness (there is a walking/biking path between FW and WL, plus lots of biking through the campground). Make s'mores with Chip and Dale and watch an outdoor movie at FW also. Watch the electric light parade on the lake on the beach at any of the MK resorts. Get the kitchen sink at Beaches and Cream (Yacht and Beach club), then watch the EPCOT fireworks from the bridge between it and Boardwalk. Watch the entertainment at the outdoor auditorium at DTD, eat at Wolfgang Puck Express, take a boat to Port Orleans from DTD. Ride the monorail just for the fun of it. You can park at any hotel, just let the guard at the gate know you are just visiting and they'll let you in.

Every time I drive through the Magic Kingdom parking lot, I hear those motors running. Someone is finding a way to afford it.

Touche'. :flower3:

I will rephrase it. "Too bad it is too ridiculously expensive for my budget!" There is no way I would shell out $450 bucks for an afternoon (or not even) and that is just for the "rookie experience" some of it can be upwards of 2 grand...

You are right though, there are people out that that can afford it, or they save up for it. I'll just stick to the interstate, it is free and quite "thrilling" :rotfl:

Hoop Dee Doo Revue or Luau
Tea at the Grand Floridian
Cirque du Soleil
Florida Beaches
Everglades
Characters in Flight at DTD

My parents, my brother and I have booked to head back to WDW next September :banana: but because we've been a few times before and my parents consider this as our "last family trip" (for a little while anyways, my brother and I are both "grown up" now!) my parents really want to experience things outside of the parks. They'd still love it to be on Disney property, but just something that's not attractions and what not.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we could do? I'm looking into things like taking a boat out on the lake etc so anything like that would be appreciated!!

Hi, one thing that I love to do and is not so expensive for some middle class people like me is renting a pontoon boat for an hour and cruising the seven seas lagoon. I think it will be like $50 dollars or a little bit more for an hour split that three ways and it is a good deal. Also resort hoping can be a great cheap way to have some fun. Especially if you haven't seen very many of them. Also go to fort wilderness. There are trails over there. You can rent bike and go exploring. Fort Wilderness is really one of the hidden treasures in all of Walt Disney World. Play putt putt golf at winter summer land or fantasia gardens. These are two of the best mini golf courses every. Also you get a discount with annual pass. Thats all i can come up with for now but I am sure there is tons more stuff I am leaving out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter