Tips for taking a newly potty trained 2 yo

So glad I stumbled across this post! My son is turning 3 the end of Feb (the same week we will be at Disney) & we have finally transitioned to underwear the last few weeks. Prior to that we were doing pull-ups during the day and night, now we are just using them at night. I am also nervous since this will be our first trip having to manage bathroom trip timing! He has done a great job but he is definitely one of those kids that forgets he needs to use the bathroom if he is having too much fun!

My son screamed bloody murder sometimes when I insisted he try to use the potty. It was very embarrassing at the airport. The family/companion bathrooms at Disney are convenient. I tried using those whenever possible because I could take both of my kids in with me, and my son was less likely to throw a fit if his sister "tried" first. There is a changing table in them as well which is nice if you have multiple children to watch.

One time while waiting in line for this bathroom, a guy pushed a wheelchair right in front of us, and I had to explain to him that we were already waiting in line. He didn't understand that these bathrooms are family/companion bathrooms and not just for those in wheelchairs. He wasn't too happy with us.

If your flight is long I recommend pull-ups for the flight. Specially if you are using a car seat. I traveled internationally when DS was just potty trained, and I will take him to the potty as close to boarding as possible and after he was done slip a pull up over his undies (you need the ones that are resealable for this, so you can do it while he is standing with his pants down).

He will still feel if he had an accident, but will prevent the mess. It was a life-saver on a 7 hour flight. If they never been to an airplane bathroom they may find it scary the first time and refuse to go while in the plane.

At the parks, carry post its with you to cover the sensors on the toilets, the self flushing toilets at WDW are really scary to toddlers.

Depending on how good your little one is with big toilets, you may want to carry around a foldable potty seat. My DS is 4 now and has been potty trained for a while, but he is still very small and the toilet seats at WDW are huge for him, so we are taking one on our April trip just in case. He is a boy, so we usually don't need to use it at all while out and about, but even at hotels the seats are usually too big for him to hold on with his hands for more than 5 minutes.

I have nothing useful to add. This just reminds me of how excited I was once my son was toilet trained until one day he and I were in the car for about an hour. I wasn't smart enough to have had him go before we left. I pulled over the to the side of the road and let him go. That didn't go well either. All over his sneakers. I was so sad that the great accomplishment of toilet training had such a downside. I did better with the second. Anyway, I guess my advice would be plan ahead and good luck!

This reminds me of a trip with our then new-to-the-potty oldest kiddo. It was a long drive (8 hours) and much of it on empty stretches of prairie road. We had to pull over a couple of times for him to pee in a bottle (nice trick for boys!). AFTER the trip we had to spend about two weeks trying to get him to stop peeing in bottles at home. Lol. We had to explain it was only for car emergencies!

One time while waiting in line for this bathroom, a guy pushed a wheelchair right in front of us, and I had to explain to him that we were already waiting in line. He didn't understand that these bathrooms are family/companion bathrooms and not just for those in wheelchairs. He wasn't too happy with us.

While he was rude, I do agree that if you can use the regular restrooms you need to. Disney doesn't have family restrooms, they call them Companion Assisted Restrooms. For some people they are the ONLY restrooms they are physically able to use, not just easier to use. And they are few and far between.

Also, if you have a little one you need to be aware the person who may be using it could take a while. So they are not the place to head to if you have a child that needs to go right away.

Bring pull ups. My daughter was PT for just short of a year at 2.11 and still peed her pants several times at Disney. She would get excited and nervous waiting for rides too and we would have to run out of line after waiting for 20 min or I would have to pass her to SH and pray he was back before our turn. I wanted to kill her! She also developed a fear of automatic flush toilets and loud toilets in general at Disney.

My son is 2 1/2, and he has been very resistant to potty training. He's just starting to do better. We head to WDW in a month. I am very worried. And I am thinking I will try the pull-up over underwear trick, but I am already feeling like we are going to end us just using the pull-ups. :( I'm happy to hear any recommendations.

If he is resistant don't push it, it may actually delay him getting potty trained. Besides, I think it is easier to go to WDW with a kid in diapers than with a potty newbie. So unless in a month he is in undies, go to WDW with diapers and try again when you come back.
You can try the huggies diapers that can be pulled up and down like a pull up in case he feels like trying the potty, they are more absorbent and cheaper (I think they are called slip-ons). That's what we did last year when DS was 2 and 1/2.

Most boys potty train around 3- 3 1/2 (girls potty train earlier). DS was very resistant to going on at 3 (n2 in particular) and was 100% daytime potty trained by 3 and 1/2. BTW, doctors don't consider it a problem until the kid is past 4 yo.

While he was rude, I do agree that if you can use the regular restrooms you need to. Disney doesn't have family restrooms, they call them Companion Assisted Restrooms. For some people they are the ONLY restrooms they are physically able to use, not just easier to use. And they are few and far between.

Also, if you have a little one you need to be aware the person who may be using it could take a while. So they are not the place to head to if you have a child that needs to go right away.

This is true - they are labelled as companion restrooms, and aren't even on the regular park maps, just the special maps given to those with disabilities.

If he is resistant don't push it, it may actually delay him getting potty trained. Besides, I think it is easier to go to WDW with a kid in diapers than with a potty newbie. So unless in a month he is in undies, go to WDW with diapers and try again when you come back. You can try the huggies diapers that can be pulled up and down like a pull up in case he feels like trying the potty, they are more absorbent and cheaper (I think they are called slip-ons). That's what we did last year when DS was 2 and 1/2. Most boys potty train around 3- 3 1/2 (girls potty train earlier). DS was very resistant to going on at 3 (n2 in particular) and was 100% daytime potty trained by 3 and 1/2. BTW, doctors don't consider it a problem until the kid is past 4 yo.

All of this. We let my son decide when he was ready for the potty and never pushed it, ever. He was totally potty trained, pee and poo, and dry all night, all before starting preschool this fall (at 3.5yo). He had a few spurts of wanting to learn at about 2.5 and right after his third birthday. Then one day during this past summer it was like he just woke up and was ready. He actually said "no more diapers, not even for night night" and went on his way!

I would take pull ups or the Huggies movers diapers and enjoy the trip. :) If he wants to use the potty he will tell you, if not, you have the pull ups/diapers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter