Tips for staying cool in the parks?

jkid721133

Mouseketeer
I know to drink water, takes breaks, etc. heading down midjuly with DD7, DS4, and DS1. Anyone have any tips to help beat the heat

Plus, I am looking for affordable spray bottles with the fans attached. Any recommendation on where to buy would be appreciated.

I have found the best way to stay cool is to soak my head and feet in cold water as often as possible - I have done this as much as once an hour or so when it was very hot. I also take two frozen water bottle to the parks with me and get free ice water from counter service restaurants when my bottles melt.

With little ones I would definitely learn where the splash and play areas are in each park and plan a stop there - pack the swim suits.

Also you might look into frog tog chilly pads for help to stay cool.

While the fans are nice I haven't yet found them to do enough to cool me - sure bring them but I wouldn't necessarily rely on them for enough of a cooling factor depending on how well you tolerate heat.

Have a great trip!

we get our fans at Walmart. I like the small ones that clip on to a belt loop the best.

I agree with the PP about the fountain/splash areas for the kids. We always packed a change of clothes for each DS in a ziploc bag so it would easily fit flat in the bottom of the stroller without taking up much room. Then we just let them get wet whenever they come across a fountain and changed them after. The wet stuff then went back in the ziploc bag. Just make sure you pack sunscreen in your park bag to re-slather the kiddos after they get wet! I always have my DSs wear bucket hats too. They're loose and not too hot like baseball hats, plus they keep the sun off their faces AND necks and ears.

As for other ways to stay cool, keep in mind that a lot of the attractions are indoors and will get you a respite from the heat. Some of the longer shows are a great way to get out of the heat and sun for a while. Counter service restaurants too.....just be respectful of others who need a table too and don't camp out for hours on end ;) At DHS, a mid-day ADR at Sci-Fi is wonderful! Cool, dark, and fun.....one of our must-do's!

Hope you have a magical trip!

pmaurer74 said:
we get our fans at Walmart. I like the small ones that clip on to a belt loop the best.

This was the best money spent the entire trip. Bought three of the little misting ones from Walmart prior to the trip. Those babies are AWESOME! My daughter loved hers. The foam blades are kid safe. I clipped mine to my daughter's stroller and had my own little mini air conditioner. It may become a purse necessity during the summer.

Big thumbs up for Frog Togs Chilly Pad scarfs. I found ours at Dick's Sporting Goods. They stay cool when damp. I rolled mine up and placed it around my neck to keep me cool.

The one year old is in the most danger of overheating. Be very aware of keeping that little one wet and cooked off. Some strollers with dark insides start to bake kids. Disney hard plastic strollers burn kids in the summer. Bring light colored towels and blankets. Ziplock bags of ice from CS places are your friend.

Covering your head with a hat will make things worse...unless the hat is vented (mesh top)...

Columbia makes some really nice items to help beat the heat, including ventilated hats and Omni Cool shirts (which actually get cooler as you sweat or get wet). I use both when I do any outdoor activity (I live in Florida) and both have a been worth the money.

If you give the mister bottles to young children, please make sure they aren't spraying other people. I ended up with soaking wet legs and shoes after being in line with a young child who thought it was great to mist everyone around them. It wasn't. :sad2:

Try to do as many outdoor attractions as possible in the early morning or late evening hours when the sun isn't strong. Save the indoor attractions, especially theater type shows, for the hottest part of your day. Take a break back to your resort from about 1-5ish whenever possible. Another good suggestion is to plan a TS lunch during the hottest part of the day if you don't plan to leave the park. You'll be glad to sit inside for an hour or so during the worst of the heat.

They work well?

They really do stay cool. I would just occasionally readjust it when the part next to my skin would make it warm. I don't know what this fabric is that they are made of but it works. I also just realized that I bought a Chilly Dana, not the Chilly Pad. It is the same fabric, just smaller.

My oldest daughter took these to Bonoroo last year (a huge outdoor, multiday music festival that is extremely hot) and she had several people who tried to buy them from her.

We do outside things in the morning and inside shows in the afternoon. This helps avoid the hottest and rainy part of the day.

after hearing about the chilly towels on here recently, we just bought few at Five Below. I think they were only $5 each.

I have found very nice water bottle fans at Walmart for about $10 and they take 2 AA batteries (if I remember correctly on the size). They have a place for carabiner clips to connect too or other types of clips. The fan blades are durable; not foam so they don't break easily but keep little fingers away from them.

Our trips are always in the summer and I can say from experience that the small foam blade fans don't do much at all. They basically just blow hot air around. The only time they offered any respite from the heat is when we were wet and then the air felt a little cooler.

Don't just drink water, drink powerade or vitamin water too. It makes a world of difference in how you feel. They help replace the vitamins and minerals you sweat out. Have at least one a day.

Take some kind of skin friendly wet wipes with you. I'm not a big makeup girl when it is that hot, so I would use them to wash the sweat off of my face a neck a couple times a day. Very refreshing! Just be sure to reapply your sunscreen afterwards.

We like to use those bandanas filled with water absorbing crystals. You can make your own, or they're sold all over the place (one brand name is Chill-Its, they're sold as 'neck coolers'). You just soak them for a few minutes and put them around your neck or on your forehead, and they cool you down. You can also presoak them and put them in the fridge over night, but that might be a little too cold for you.

Don't just drink water, drink powerade or vitamin water too. It makes a world of difference in how you feel. They help replace the vitamins and minerals you sweat out. Have at least one a day.

Along the same lines, I saw some electrolyte replacing tablets you can add to your water bottle being sold at Sierra Trading Post. They were sold under the name of Nuuns and pretty affordable on that site.

And I just saw that you can make or buy those cooling gel filled bandanas, but made to fit around your water bottle, which may help keep your drink cold in the heat if you find you have trouble with that.

I have to agree with a PP about the Frogg Toggs Chilly Pads. They worked great and were the most effective at keeping us cool. They truly are amazing.

In fact, my mom was so impressed with them that she got some for her friend that is a mailwoman and in a hot mail truck every day in the summer. The mailwoman also said they are great and one of the best gifts she ever got. She couldn't believe the difference the chilly pads made.

My husband and I wear them on our neck but for the kids we put them on the backs of the stroller so their backs are kept cool, or we put them on the seat so their bottoms are cool.

Oh I forgot to say that we got our at Walmart in the sporting good section. Also saw them at DICKS and Bed Bath and Beyond.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter